• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my Gaaawd what is happening, they sure love to drop the plot bombs, I have so many theories.

Also I don't trust ANY of the "friend" characters, those fuckers are hiding something, I'm sure of it.
I don't even like visual novels, like... at all.

But I love this game so much.
I don't like vn or tower defense and here I am, enjoying this game inmensely.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished this game, first game I've finished in a loooong time. Also wtf at the completion rates, trophies for story completions are like 60% which is HUGE, especially for such a long game.

Really great game!

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I love that this game wears it's inspiration from Pacific Rim on it's sleeve
It wears alllll of it's inspirations on it's sleeves. There's an article about media that inspired the game as told by the director, and you may as well consider it a page of spoilers for the whole game including the very end. I think they bring it all together nicely and the package is unique though, no complaining from me.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If I was allowed to pick one piece of media that I could erase from my memory in order to experience for the first time again, it would probably be this one.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Got BOL questions going into battle. Everyone except one character is at half BOL right now, but I suspect if I don't clear them now it will bite me in the butt as they will all be out for the count recovering. If they do go into overflow does that forfeit the multiplier I've been racking up? Can you really end up in a situation where you're forced to go into battle with one character because everyone is recovering?

Still figuring out how some of those systems work and what I can get away with.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Got BOL questions going into battle. Everyone except one character is at half BOL right now, but I suspect if I don't clear them now it will bite me in the butt as they will all be out for the count recovering. If they do go into overflow does that forfeit the multiplier I've been racking up? Can you really end up in a situation where you're forced to go into battle with one character because everyone is recovering?

Still figuring out how some of those systems work and what I can get away with.
You'll only lose the multiplier if you use the rest option. The people that go into BOL are just out for one fight (so they're not on the defence team) then come back recovered, I don't think it's a big deal. If you're screwed on characters you can use just go repeat an easy mission and you're good to go. I don't think you'll want to ever break the multiplier to be honest, the score multiplier is helpful later.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the US version was certified this year. Which also includes the Eng Dub support, it could be treated as a different version then the JP release. TBH i don't know but I would assume that yes it should have to pass compatibility.
I hope so.

If i had the Twitters i'd probably Tweet at Atlus US. But i doubt they'd respond.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
You'll only lose the multiplier if you use the rest option. The people that go into BOL are just out for one fight (so they're not on the defence team) then come back recovered, I don't think it's a big deal. If you're screwed on characters you can use just go repeat an easy mission and you're good to go. I don't think you'll want to ever break the multiplier to be honest, the score multiplier is helpful later.
Gotcha, thanks!

Sorry kiddos, but you're all gonna have to suffer for the sake of the multipliers. Which honestly is a very Evangelion thing to do so it feels like it's on brand with this games style.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The cat (who I think is QTA? Who I think is Juro Izumi, but not the kill every version?) keeps using a game metaphor for fighting kaiju. And there was a snippet somewhere from 2188 about how Okino used a Deimos video game code as the framework for his D-code.

God, I hope it turns out all of these worlds and sectors were built to actually play a video game through the 4th wall. Something like the Destruction Mode is the game being fueled by all this or something.

Something something the kaiju are just actually innocuous excavation machines that the 2188ers are using for terraforming something and not at all evil.

Also something about this whole thing being a petri dish for the adult versions of them.

Last edited:

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
20 hours in and I'm still lost. I start to get the gist of the story but can't really string it together yet.

I feel like it would be fun to read through the archive later on after I finish the story.

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh. I didn't realize that they were only out for one fight. Damn. I've been resting after every 2-3 fights to recuperate my team. Hopefully I haven't screwed myself in terms of upgrade points by doing so. Doubtful though since the RTS sections are relatively easy even on Intense anyway.

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I just played a late-game scene with some real emotional heft. This game is so damn good. The story is compelling me to keep playing to barrel towards the end, but at the same time I don't want it to end.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'll ask did they bring someone else to write the plot for this game? Not to say their previous games were badly written but to go from the plot being either secondary if not third to combat and presentation to it kicking it up this much tells me they brought in (or put someone on the lead) who normally doesn't do it for vanilla.

Edit: huh kamitani did it all. Guess the wiki just says contrary to previous titles he handled the script alone so I guess it's simply a shift in priorities. Damn can't wait for the next time they want to make something this ambitious in plot.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
This game is hard to find in retail stores in my area. Most Best Buys are out of stock, with only 1 location having a single copy. Only some Gamestops have it and if they do, per Gamestop's usual fuckery, it's a display copy.

Best Buy has it out of stock online, but luckily my gf is getting me a copy off Amazon.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy has it out of stock online, but luckily my gf is getting me a copy off Amazon.
giphy.gif

I just got past Juro's initial progress lock and I'm sitting here like, WUT?
18167.jpg

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
This game better do well for Vanillaware and Atlus, it's by far Vanillaware best game yet.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Honestly this was what I felt once I finished the game. I really wish I could experience this game again with my memory wiped.
For what it's worth, I'm most of the way through a second playthrough (played the Japanese release months ago). I'm doing things in a different order than the first time, and it feels like a really new experience, even though I know what's coming. Maybe try it again next year, with a different path, and it may feel fresher than you expect.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
After seeing the stellar reviews and a Eurogamer "essential" I pretty much went into this blind.

First thing is that to use a mech teenage girls need to be stripped naked.

Hmm.

Then 10 minutes later I'm talking to a nurse with enormous breasts that she is pushing up with her arms the entire time I'm talking to her.

Wtf is this

There is actually a very good reason for the need to be naked, which is explained later in the game.
I do agree about the breasts being enormous without any explicit reason though.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'll ask did they bring someone else to write the plot for this game? Not to say their previous games were badly written but to go from the plot being either secondary if not third to combat and presentation to it kicking it up this much tells me they brought in (or put someone on the lead) who normally doesn't do it for vanilla.

Edit: huh kamitani did it all. Guess the wiki just says contrary to previous titles he handled the script alone so I guess it's simply a shift in priorities. Damn can't wait for the next time they want to make something this ambitious in plot.
Odin Sphere is very story heavy

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Just placed an order for this. Totally blind. Will be fun to see I'll like it or not.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Beat it. Need to go to bed now, I failed the last mission 4 times before lowering the difficulty lol.

Definitely gotta be my GOTY though.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Finished all the story routes last night and hopefully will S rank and bonus clear the last battles I need to get done later today. I normally do not play games at this rate but I feel like if I wait a week to finish, I will forget things I need to remember lol. Though the in game encyclopedia is super helpful and highlights terms when new information is learned. While there are definitely a few individual character routes/stories I did not care for, be it the character themselves or how their route/story went, I overall have enjoyed the story. If I could sum up my thoughts in a single image, it would be this one:
ab0582d5833b0316db34784a355c5b51.gif

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Just finished this game, first game I've finished in a loooong time. Also wtf at the completion rates, trophies for story completions are like 60% which is HUGE, especially for such a long game.

Really great game!

This title is pretty niche right now, so customers who buy it are highly engaged and more likely to complete it.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
The more I carefully read the thread the more I want to buy this game ASAP but I can't justify spending 50 bucks on it right now, not with me having bought a new phone and the PS5 on the horizon :(

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

Nah I really I can't, I have some other expenses to do right now, if all goes well I can treat myself by December, I hope I can still get a physical copy by then. It's understandable but sad we didn't get the Vita version, it seems like a good game to chill and play on the Vita rather than being bound to a TV, of course there's always Remote Play but still.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Nah I really I can't, I have some other expenses to do right now, if all goes well I can treat myself by December, I hope I can still get a physical copy by then. It's understandable but sad we didn't get the Vita version, it seems like a good game to chill and play on the Vita rather than being bound to a TV, of course there's always Remote Play but still.

No worries! The are no games on the horizon that likely come close to the game play types and story, so it'll still be fresh by the time you get around to it.

And while I agree that this would be a great game on the Vita due to convenience, seeing the Sentinels on a big screen TV is also a sight to behold.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
No worries! The are no games on the horizon that likely come close to the game play types and story, so it'll still be fresh by the time you get around to it.

And while I agree that this would be a great game on the Vita due to convenience, seeing the Sentinels on a big screen TV is also a sight to behold.

That sounds good on both accounts, I'm really looking forward to it! :D

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Someone wanna help me out? Trying for the easy platinum but I'm missing two trophies. One is "Unlock all Mystery Files" even though I unsealed every file. I'm also missing the unlocking all armament/terminal function trophy even though I've unlocked those all as well.