APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
"New" Omega divers

www.hodinkee.com

Introducing: Hitting New Depths With The Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 600M And Planet Ocean 6000M 'Ultra Deep'

The Ultra Deep gives us our darkest shade of blue for the Seamaster's 75th.

www.hodinkee.com

Introducing: The Omega Seamaster 300 Gets A 75th Anniversary Revamp, Complete With A Ceramic Bezel

The changes are mostly cosmetic, but the result is exceedingly blue.

www.hodinkee.com

Introducing: The New 75th Anniversary Omega Seamaster Diver 300m In Gradient ‘Summer Blue'

To celebrate, we see the return of a closed caseback on the SMP300m.

Gradient dials are nice. Probably still prefer the black existing seamaster 300. And still don't like the diver 300 hands.

Honestly just starting to get a bit pissed off with all this bollocks. I'm an Omega fanboy/collector of a sort - I've got a Seeamaster 300 (2012 model before the most recent refresh), a Planet Ocean, an Aqua Terra, a Speedmaster, a Seamaster 1948, and a De Ville. But these endless colorways and stuff just do nothing for me. It's time for a proper refresh. It's particularly bonkers that this series features the same old design for the Planet Ocean that's now going on a decade old. They've crammed a new movement into the old case; they can't even be bothered to move the date to 6 to match the rest of the range.

I really hope they do the design changes for the recent Bond Seamaster (the blue one, not the NTTD fake patina one) in a non-Bond watch. That's what I'd really like; it feels like an exciting Seamaster refresh.

Last edited:

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like this thread isn't super active but hoping to get some advice.

I'm thinking about getting both of the 55th anniversary Peanuts Seiko watches. I've owned a Seiko 5 in the past, loved it quite a bit but ultimately gave it to a friend because I felt wearing my Apple Watch was more convenient.

I've been considering getting another mechanical watch for awhile and love both of these. I'm a big Peanuts fan, I love the dials, and one's more casual and one's more sporty (though both seem fine for a business casual setting).

My question concerns the bands. One comes on a Nato strap, the other on a leather strap. I'm concerned about ruining them. I've had Apple Watch bands, especially the fabric Braided Solo Loop, get dirty over time. Maybe I get caught in rain with it on, maybe it gets stained from sweat, etc.

Just curious what experienced watch enthusiasts would do if they bought a limited edition watch like these. Would you immediately swap the band and keep the original in storage? Do people not care about bands that much? I'm not concerned about treating these as an investment or anything, and I would definitely wear them, but it would be nice to keep them in as nice condition as possible since they are limited.

Is it possible to clean a nato strap? Is there any way to avoid a leather band getting ruined by sweat other than just being careful not to wear it in hot weather?

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
Looks like this thread isn't super active but hoping to get some advice.

I'm thinking about getting both of the 55th anniversary Peanuts Seiko watches. I've owned a Seiko 5 in the past, loved it quite a bit but ultimately gave it to a friend because I felt wearing my Apple Watch was more convenient.

I've been considering getting another mechanical watch for awhile and love both of these. I'm a big Peanuts fan, I love the dials, and one's more casual and one's more sporty (though both seem fine for a business casual setting).

My question concerns the bands. One comes on a Nato strap, the other on a leather strap. I'm concerned about ruining them. I've had Apple Watch bands, especially the fabric Braided Solo Loop, get dirty over time. Maybe I get caught in rain with it on, maybe it gets stained from sweat, etc.

Just curious what experienced watch enthusiasts would do if they bought a limited edition watch like these. Would you immediately swap the band and keep the original in storage? Do people not care about bands that much? I'm not concerned about treating these as an investment or anything, and I would definitely wear them, but it would be nice to keep them in as nice condition as possible since they are limited.

Is it possible to clean a nato strap? Is there any way to avoid a leather band getting ruined by sweat other than just being careful not to wear it in hot weather?
I've always been of the opinion that you shouldn't baby your watches regardless of how much they cost. As far as swapping the strap out with an aftermarket one and preserving the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) strap, that's a sensible idea and something a lot of people do. Although, for some people, it's simply a case of having a strap that's more comfortable on the wrist than the OEM, rather than preservation.

Regarding leather care, you can use leather balms and oils etc. periodically to keep the strap in good nick. Sweat damage isn't that significant on good quality leather straps in my experience though, even in hot climates. It's seawater that you really want to avoid, so I'd avoid wearing the OEM strap if you're a frequent beachgoer and swap it for a rubber strap. If not, then I wouldn't sweat it (mind the pun😊).

NATO straps are very rugged and can deal with most conditions, so you needn't worry about looking after the NATO OEM as much as the leather. one.

Last edited:

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
+1 to the above. I really don't baby any of my watches. Though I don't have any traditional heavy hitters, my most expensive watch is just under $1000..I've banged them up and while it feels bad at first, it really doesn't detract from my enjoyment of a watch. Scuff marks are stories and badges of honor as far as I'm concerned. Well worn, doing their job.

west

Oct 28, 2017
Never been worried about scratches. For sure I am mad at myself every time it happens, but watches are made to be worn. I am actually more worried about getting mugged, and it limits where I can carry some pieces.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Would you immediately swap the band and keep the original in storage? Do people not care about bands that much?
Only if the aesthetics warrant it. I keep my boxes and papers of course, and any original parts in them, but otherwise like the posters above I just wear em and don't worry.
I am actually more worried about getting mugged, and it limits where I can carry some pieces.
I have insurance on mine for this reason, fairly reasonable in my experience.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Only if the aesthetics warrant it. I keep my boxes and papers of course, and any original parts in them, but otherwise like the posters above I just wear em and don't worry.

I feel like the leather strap on the SRPK27 is probably pretty replaceable, it's just a black leather strap.

But the grey white nato strap on the SRPK25 really nicely matches the watch, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to find an exact replacement. But then I'm kind of split, because I feel like it perfectly accents the watch, so it'd be a bummer not to wear it.

Definitely leaning more towards just using them and not worrying too much about it after reading these responses though. Part of me still wants to err on the side of caution and store the straps just in case they end up being valuable collectors items a decade from now. But at the same time, I'm 100% going to wear the watches whether I put new straps on them or not, and I suspect scratches or other wear on the case or crystal is going to affect value far more than a non-mint strap.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Hoping to get some feedback. I got that Snoopy Seiko I was talking about a few posts up. I saw that it had a small dial when I bought it, but I have pretty small wrists so I didn't think much of it. There's been multiple times I've hesitated to buy watches I really liked because it felt like they sat too big on my wrist.

But I feel like this is borderline too small. But I feel like maybe it's a Goldilocks thing where I'm never going to find the perfect size. Realistically I'd only want it to be like 1 or 2 mm bigger I think.

Anyway, this is the first mechanical watch I've worn in awhile. Just wanted to get some other opinions. Too small or ok?

View: https://imgur.com/a/vWYaJUr

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)
Hoping to get some feedback. I got that Snoopy Seiko I was talking about a few posts up. I saw that it had a small dial when I bought it, but I have pretty small wrists so I didn't think much of it. There's been multiple times I've hesitated to buy watches I really liked because it felt like they sat too big on my wrist.

But I feel like this is borderline too small. But I feel like maybe it's a Goldilocks thing where I'm never going to find the perfect size. Realistically I'd only want it to be like 1 or 2 mm bigger I think.

Anyway, this is the first mechanical watch I've worn in awhile. Just wanted to get some other opinions. Too small or ok?

I think it looks great -- good looking watch.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States

What size is it? Looks 36-38mm? Smaller watches are in and I personally prefer them. Looks good to me but how you feel is all that matters.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I think it looks great -- good looking watch.

Thanks! I love everything else about the watch. The dial looks awesome in person, better than in the pics I saw before buying it. Love the case and strap too. Everything but the size.

But again, I haven't worn a mechanical watch in awhile and haven't been seeking out pictures of people wearing them, so maybe the size isn't as big a deal as I'm thinking.

What size is it? Looks 36-38mm? Smaller watches are in and I personally prefer them. Looks good to me but how you feel is all that matters.

38. Lug-to-lug is 44.2.

That makes me feel better that smaller watches are in. I don't think it's comically small or anything. But when I first put it on I wasn't like "Woah, this looks awesome on my wrist," it was more like "oh… this is smaller than expected."

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
I have a 34mmm and a 36mm watch as daily use watches as an adult man. For me after getting used to them, I feel weird using bigger watches. Different steokes and all but for me that wouldn`t be small, great watch.

karim

Oct 27, 2017
Sizing looks great. Wear it for a few hours or a day and you won't notice. Same way I feel when I haven't I haven't worn my nomos 36 club for awhile.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I'm definitely getting more used to it. Just wanted to get more opinions from people who regularly wear and think about watches. I do always appreciate the advice "As long as you like it, just do it." But I like to at least know what "the rules" are, even if I'm not going to blindly follow them.

Darkatomz

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Most of my expensive watches are 39-42mm, although I have outliers in both directions (smallest is 36, largest is 44). I personally have no plans to sell off my collection, and ultimately watches are meant to be worn. I prefer vanilla metal bracelets overall (rubber strap maybe if for a diver's watch) so when it scratches, I'll just deal with it.

Speaking of which, I ended up going on a watch buying spree and think I'm good now for <$10k watches...

karim

Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely getting more used to it. Just wanted to get more opinions from people who regularly wear and think about watches. I do always appreciate the advice "As long as you like it, just do it." But I like to at least know what "the rules" are, even if I'm not going to blindly follow them.

I think the main rule is lug to lug shouldn't overhang your wrist. Sweet spot is like 80% of your wrist. It's why something like nomos club 36 and bb54 can fit bigger wrists since they have more wrist presence with the lug to lug even if they have a smaller diameter.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone! I am new to watch collecting, and just purchased my first three the other day:

- Timex x Mossy Oak Expedition Scout 43
- Casio G-Shock DW5600E-1V (I LOVED this watch as a kid, and had to get it now due to nostalgia and the insane durability of Casios)
- Orient Bambino IV (Emerald Green and Gold)

I am aiming for a few from Seiko, Tissot, Oris and one from Bulova (Computron) over the next few years. Omega and Rolex are beyond my means, so no way in hell I will afford those ever.

It is nice to meet other fellow collectors, and I am certain I will probably have questions down the road.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
Two weeks ago was my 1 year anniversary of my Aqua Terra, even following Hodinkee on Twitter I've never even been tempted with another watch. I wish it was a little more accurate, but I'll live with adjusting the time once a month or so.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I see and get what Timex is trying to do here, but I don't think it's gonna work. If my budget is about a grand, it's not going to this.
It's cool to see a more premium Timex offering, and I won't say it's overpriced, but unless someone specifically wants a Ming-style look for cheap, I'd probably go for a PRX instead.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Got my first Bambino today! The green is so rich and vibrant.

img_165971fxf.jpeg

img_1660gsepr.jpeg

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
What are some of the watches you all plan to snag down the road? Any fun lists of dream watches?

My current list is:

1.) Orient Bambino IV (bought)

2.) Bulova Lunar Pilot 43mm

3.) Oris Artelier

4.) Seiko Presage SRPB77

5.) Kuoe Kyoto Royal Smith Gold with Black Italian Leather

6.) Laco Flieger Stuttgart Pro

7.) Lorier Astra (Blue)

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at a Bambino before attending my sister's wedding.
They don't really have the color I want in the size I want, though.

If I had the money...I've always wanted a Brosnan style Omega Seamaster. Automatic though, not quartz.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I just gave away my old black/gold Torty to a family friend who is off to college, so I have an empty slot in my case now that needs to be filled. I have a Swiss (Milgauss), a Japanese (Snowflake) and a German (Sinn GSG 9). I suppose an Italian at this point. I am not a fan of anything Bulgari makes, and while I do like some Panerai pieces they have a reputation I find unpleasant. The Zanetti are interesting, does anyone own one? Not an in-house movement, although they say it's a modified ETA.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I just gave away my old black/gold Torty to a family friend who is off to college, so I have an empty slot in my case now that needs to be filled. I have a Swiss (Milgauss), a Japanese (Snowflake) and a German (Sinn GSG 9). I suppose an Italian at this point. I am not a fan of anything Bulgari makes, and while I do like some Panerai pieces they have a reputation I find unpleasant. The Zanetti are interesting, does anyone own one? Not an in-house movement, although they say it's a modified ETA.

I have not heard of Zanetti, but after looking at their catalogue, their watch designs are incredibly interesting! I LOVE the Red Dragon, but wish I didn't have to request the price.

karim

Oct 27, 2017
The watch I want next is the Atelier Wen Perception. Love its hand engraved dial that is hard to find at the price point.

In regards to fun grails I'll never own, aside from dreaming about daytonas or royal oaks, I'd go for an A Lange and Sohne 1815 chronograph or a Lange 1 Perpetual calendar.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Not a wristwatch but we don't have a thread for pocketwatches, so... this is the new piece I picked up over the summer, the best quality watch I've owned so far:

IMG_5034.jpg

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Not a wristwatch but we don't have a thread for pocketwatches, so... this is the new piece I picked up over the summer, the best quality watch I've owned so far:

IMG_5034.jpg

Now THAT is a stunner! It looks so incredibly beautiful. Pocket watches are such a unique and creative piece of work, that I have always considered getting one at some point. How often will you be bringing it with you?

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Pbae Figured I'd move the conversation over here since it's maybe veering a bit off topic in the other thread

I use to own that one and flipped it a while back. I wouldn't say it was a regret but I do miss it terribly sometimes. Japanese dial work is just a class above when we get into these mid-high tier ranges and absolutely smokes them at the lower tier.

Yeah Grand Seiko rarely misses when it comes to dial work, and even if it's an aesthetic miss it's still technically solid.

I remember when the whirlpool came out, and while there was just no way I could have justified the cost I'll probably forever kick myself for not going for it anyways lol. The secondary market is incredibly bananas on that one. Did get to try it on at least!

My small collection has been locked in for a long while at this point and it's likely to stay that way for the foreseeable future, but I still like to see what's out there every once in a while.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Now THAT is a stunner! It looks so incredibly beautiful. Pocket watches are such a unique and creative piece of work, that I have always considered getting one at some point. How often will you be bringing it with you?

Basically any time I go out for an extended period for something other than errands or anything intensive I bring it along. I wear it in my pants pocket (by itself of course) unless I'm going to something dressy or formal, and then I wear it in a vest pocket. I always get lots of admiring comments! It's a really beautiful piece and the quality really shines through in everything from how it feels in the hand to the feel of the winding.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Grand Seiko rarely misses when it comes to dial work, and even if it's an aesthetic miss it's still technically solid.

I remember when the whirlpool came out, and while there was just no way I could have justified the cost I'll probably forever kick myself for not going for it anyways lol. The secondary market is incredibly bananas on that one. Did get to try it on at least!

My small collection has been locked in for a long while at this point and it's likely to stay that way for the foreseeable future, but I still like to see what's out there every once in a while.
Thanks for moving me!

Speaking of dials, Grand Seiko is introducing a special 25th anniversary GMT in their sports line that looks absolutely ravishing. I doubt I'll be able to get my hands on it since only 2000 will be produced but I still put my name on a few lists.

For me though, small collections that have purpose and meaning far outweigh collection created just for the sake of accumulation. I'd be interested in learning what timepieces are in yours. I'm sure they're lovely.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Basically any time I go out for an extended period for something other than errands or anything intensive I bring it along. I wear it in my pants pocket (by itself of course) unless I'm going to something dressy or formal, and then I wear it in a vest pocket. I always get lots of admiring comments! It's a really beautiful piece and the quality really shines through in everything from how it feels in the hand to the feel of the winding.

I bet! It looks so good, and would be a lot of fun wearing on the vest. There was an old Omega pocket watch from 1899 I was looking at the other day, and almost pulled the trigger. I want a vintage watch or pocket watch since I find the history behind those to be really beautiful, but I am going to wait a while before I snag something vintage.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I bet! It looks so good, and would be a lot of fun wearing on the vest. There was an old Omega pocket watch from 1899 I was looking at the other day, and almost pulled the trigger. I want a vintage watch or pocket watch since I find the history behind those to be really beautiful, but I am going to wait a while before I snag something vintage.

It's not in front of me to take a picture of, but I actually have a vintage train conductor's pocketwatch. It's HUGE—we're talking like 90mm across—and built like a tank. It's not currently running but I want to send it to a repair service and get it going again.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for moving me!

Speaking of dials, Grand Seiko is introducing a special 25th anniversary GMT in their sports line that looks absolutely ravishing. I doubt I'll be able to get my hands on it since only 2000 will be produced but I still put my name on a few lists.

For me though, small collections that have purpose and meaning far outweigh collection created just for the sake of accumulation. I'd be interested in learning what timepieces are in yours. I'm sure they're lovely.

Good luck! Hope you're able to snag one!

I definitely went through an acquiring and culling phase. My current collection is a mix of purchases and inherited pieces, but it's been locked in as the following for some time now...

GS SBGX061
Max Bill Hand-winding
Vintage PP Calatrava
GMWB 5000-1
GA-2100THB-7AJF (90's Throwback)
Santos Galbeé

5 in the box and one of the wrist. Told myself nothing else unless I make room either on my wrist or in the box, but I can't bring myself to get rid of any of these so here we are!

Honestly since the pandemic I've had the GMWB glued to my wrist. I love the aesthetics, the rubber strap is super comfy, it's highly functional, and I don't have to think twice about it since it's built like a tank.

How about yourself?

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
It's not in front of me to take a picture of, but I actually have a vintage train conductor's pocketwatch. It's HUGE—we're talking like 90mm across—and built like a tank. It's not currently running but I want to send it to a repair service and get it going again.

Oooooooo!! Whenever you get the opportunity to take a photo, please feel free to share. I would love to see it! Are you able to tell what year it was made?

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Oooooooo!! Whenever you get the opportunity to take a photo, please feel free to share. I would love to see it! Are you able to tell what year it was made?

Unfortunately I don't recall finding any dates stamped on the outside, and I didn't open it up to look at the movement. Will give updates when I get around to finding it!

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Good luck! Hope you're able to snag one!

I definitely went through an acquiring and culling phase. My current collection is a mix of purchases and inherited pieces, but it's been locked in as the following for some time now...

5 in the box and one of the wrist. Told myself nothing else unless I make room either on my wrist or in the box, but I can't bring myself to get rid of any of these so here we are!

Honestly since the pandemic I've had the GMWB glued to my wrist. I love the aesthetics, the rubber strap is super comfy, it's highly functional, and I don't have to think twice about it since it's built like a tank.

How about yourself?
You have a wonderful collection. Have you considered a mechanical chronograph or higher complication movement to add to it? It was the one piece I thought didn't have any representation in your rotation.

I'll pm you my collection if you're interested. But like I said in the previous post, I've been rocking a Casio LF-20W and a Pelagos LHD on this sweet velcro band lately. Recently picked up a few mission swatches (Mars/Jupiter) which I don't even know why, just terrible impulse control. Lost my Milgauss so picked up another Milgauss. Found my old Constellation and I've been also wearing that for a little bit since I noticed everyone and their moms are buying the Tissot PRX. Yeah i'm probably forgetting a few; sorry.

I'm one of those weird guys that doesn't mind putting velcro straps on expensive watches so if that triggers anyone my bad. I won't ever stop.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
You have a wonderful collection. Have you considered a mechanical chronograph or higher complication movement to add to it? It was the one piece I thought didn't have any representation in your rotation.

I'll pm you my collection if you're interested. But like I said in the previous post, I've been rocking a Casio LF-20W and a Pelagos LHD on this sweet velcro band lately. Recently picked up a few mission swatches (Mars/Jupiter) which I don't even know why, just terrible impulse control. Lost my Milgauss so picked up another Milgauss. Found my old Constellation and I've been also wearing that for a little bit since I noticed everyone and their moms are buying the Tissot PRX. Yeah i'm probably forgetting a few; sorry.

I'm one of those weird guys that doesn't mind putting velcro straps on expensive wat

Sure yeah hit me up with a PM of the full collection if it's not too much trouble.

I was actually eyeing the white Casio LF-20W recently. It's a really sharp looking watch, and crazy affordable to boot.

I definitely looked at Chronographs, Moon phases, etc...part of the whole gotta have a little bit of everything school of thought, but I eventually decided I was content with what I had, plus yeah my the G-Shock is glued to my wrist so I found it hard to justify adding anything else. Who knows maybe one day though.

The Milgauss was just discontinued earlier this year right?

You know...I really wanted to love the Tissot PRX...everyone was/is raving about it...but there's just *something* about it that doesn't quite gel with me sadly.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
The Milgauss was just discontinued earlier this year right?

You know...I really wanted to love the Tissot PRX...everyone was/is raving about it...but there's just *something* about it that doesn't quite gel with me sadly.
If the Milgauss was I was not aware in which case, fuck.

It might be the integrated bracelet for the PRX. I hate integrated bracelets; my personal opinion is that they fucking suck and if a company does go down that route they should throw in an end link adapter for a leather strap.

Would sacrifice a herd of goats for an Octo Finissimo with normal ass lugs.