dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know we had a watches OT here! Neat. I'll post my (very) modest collection sometime.

I was searching the forum for advice though, and I'm curious if anyone here can give me any: I want to get a Moonswatch for my dad for Christmas, but I know they're ridiculously hard to find right now and the secondary market is bananas. Do I have any chance at all, or should I give up and look for something else? I don't think I'm near a physical Swatch location, unfortunately.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I didn't know we had a watches OT here! Neat. I'll post my (very) modest collection sometime.

I was searching the forum for advice though, and I'm curious if anyone here can give me any: I want to get a Moonswatch for my dad for Christmas, but I know they're ridiculously hard to find right now and the secondary market is bananas. Do I have any chance at all, or should I give up and look for something else? I don't think I'm near a physical Swatch location, unfortunately.
That's gonna be tough if you aren't near a physical location. I was able to grab some by just stopping by. Which one are you looking for? The black/grey ones are crazy tough to find.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
That's gonna be tough if you aren't near a physical location. I was able to grab some by just stopping by. Which one are you looking for? The black/grey ones are crazy tough to find.

This is what I was afraid to hear, haha. I'm not too picky about the color, which I'm hoping raises my chances somewhat at least.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Uranus and a Saturn if you're interested. I could part with one if you really want one of em. Keep an eye out on the Reddit watchexchange, they pop up daily over there.

If dodo doesn't end up taking your offer, I would like to purchase one from you if you're willing.

I've been scouring eBay for ones that are close to retail. Though I have to make sure they're authentic as there's a lot of good fakes out there now. Seen so many fakes being bought up. :(

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Are you 100% sure he wants one? Just me, but I was immediately in love with the look of many of them, until I watched a few popular watch channels on YT with their reviews, talking about how they feel so light and like a toy, with a poor strap too, that they're barely worth the asking price let alone the resale price, it put me off.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Uranus and a Saturn if you're interested. I could part with one if you really want one of em. Keep an eye out on the Reddit watchexchange, they pop up daily over there.

I super appreciate the offer! I'll shoot you a PM when I get a spare moment.

Are you 100% sure he wants one? Just me, but I was immediately in love with the look of many of them, until I watched a few popular watch channels on YT with their reviews, talking about how they feel so light and like a toy, with a poor strap too, that they're barely worth the asking price let alone the resale price, it put me off.

He likes Speedys and kitsch, so I'm pretty sure it'd be a big hit with him, haha.

May 24, 2019
swatch_random_ghost_1593960697_f2689231.jpg

According to my emails I ordered one of these whilst half asleep at 2am this morning. No idea if I'll keep it. I'm quite fond of my naff digital Casio watch.

shopping

This I'll keep until I can find afford a 60s Seamaster.
Folks love my jellyfish Swatch (I got the Big Bold version) though I'm having to superglue the band together these days.

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
The Murph watch from Interstellar is now available in a 38mm size.

Hamilton giving the watch community what they want, unlike certain other higher end watchmakers ignoring the community.

www.hodinkee.com

Introducing: Whoa. Hamilton Just Released The 'Murph' Watch In 38mm

You read that right. The famed movie prop turned fan-favorite watch is now even more wearable.
www.hamiltonwatch.com

Khaki Field Murph 38mm | H70405730

The 38mm Khaki Field Murph Auto is here. One of the science fiction's most famous watches known by fans as 'The Murph' is now housed in a compact 38mm case.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States

Hamilton giving the watch community what they want, unlike certain other higher end watchmakers ignoring the community.

www.hodinkee.com

You read that right. The famed movie prop turned fan-favorite watch is now even more wearable.
www.hamiltonwatch.com

The 38mm Khaki Field Murph Auto is here. One of the science fiction's most famous watches known by fans as 'The Murph' is now housed in a compact 38mm case.
But why no lume code on the second hand? Perfect size and they remove something people love.

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017

www.hodinkee.com

www.hamiltonwatch.com

And I'm thinking it is a Robocop themed watch.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
I'm giving up on automatics. Thanks to generous wfh policy I basically have to set my automatic every time I put it on because it's been too long since the last time I wore it out of the house, and I'm tired of it.

So, Citizen Nighthawk or Seiko Flightmaster?

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm giving up on automatics. Thanks to generous wfh policy I basically have to set my automatic every time I put it on because it's been too long since the last time I wore it out of the house, and I'm tired of it.

I've got a Flighty that's mint if you want. Make me an offer. When I was home I wore my watches allot. But over the years I've gotten into haq watches. Some amazing stuff out there.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I have a Sinn UX GSG 9 that I quite like, which is quartz. You still have to adjust the date complication occasionally, though.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What's everyone's thoughts on the Vacheron 56? I've been offered it on a bracelet and I want to start a relationship with a boutique so I can get the 4500v down the road but since it's not really an in house movement idk if I want it that much. It's nice looking... but idk. I also like the Patrimony and need a dress watch but at around 20k I might as well just ask for the 7900v since it's still in my budget.

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
What's everyone's thoughts on the Vacheron 56? I've been offered it on a bracelet and I want to start a relationship with a boutique so I can get the 4500v down the road but since it's not really an in house movement idk if I want it that much. It's nice looking... but idk. I also like the Patrimony and need a dress watch but at around 20k I might as well just ask for the 7900v since it's still in my budget.
At its price point, I find the movement lacking, certainly in comparison to the Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Control Date which can be purchased for far less. It's certainly a looker, but if you really have your heart set on the Overseas, then go for it. Better to buy what you really want first time round, rather than regretting it and going through the process of offloading a watch you don't want and then buying what you should have in the first place.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
At its price point, I find the movement lacking, certainly in comparison to the Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Control Date which can be purchased for far less. It's certainly a looker, but if you really have your heart set on the Overseas, then go for it. Better to buy what you really want first time round, rather than regretting it and going through the process of offloading a watch you don't want and then buying what you should have in the first place.
Yeah my heart is set on getting a blue dial overseas in steel (though... the rose gold is something I want to eventually get as well) but the boutique flat out told me it'll be like 3 years and that's if I start a relationship now (idk if that was just sales speak to get me, but at least it's more straightforward and less of a song and dance than Rolex). If I go for the dual time overseas I'd be happy with it and definitely keep it but it's still not what I originally wanted. With the 56 I could start that relationship at a lower price point but idk if I'd actually keep the watch. Either way the hit I take would be less. But it's also using a Cartier movement (?)
*I don't actually think there's anything wrong with Cartier, I love my Santos but I want a Vacheron movement in a Vacheron watch lol

Gah, I hate the watch market lol As someone that just got into this 2 years ago, this shit stinks. Olds keep telling me stories of ancient times when you could walk into Rolex and get what you wanted. lmao fantasy land

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
Yeah my heart is set on getting a blue dial overseas in steel (though... the rose gold is something I want to eventually get as well) but the boutique flat out told me it'll be like 3 years and that's if I start a relationship now (idk if that was just sales speak to get me, but at least it's more straightforward and less of a song and dance than Rolex). If I go for the dual time overseas I'd be happy with it and definitely keep it but it's still not what I originally wanted. With the 56 I could start that relationship at a lower price point but idk if I'd actually keep the watch. Either way the hit I take would be less. But it's also using a Cartier movement (?)
*I don't actually think there's anything wrong with Cartier, I love my Santos but I want a Vacheron movement in a Vacheron watch lol

Gah, I hate the watch market lol As someone that just got into this 2 years ago, this shit stinks. Olds keep telling me stories of ancient times when you could walk into Rolex and get what you wanted. lmao fantasy land
Yeah, the watch market is pretty messed up right now due to hypebeast culture and other factors.

If you have your heart set on getting the Overseas sooner than 3 years, then you could try your luck in the pre-owned market, but you'll most likely be paying a premium over RRP.

Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dual Time 7900V/110A-B334 | Chrono24.co.uk

Find the best prices for Vacheron Constantin 7900V/110A-B334 on Chrono24.co.uk. Compare watches & purchase securely.

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't had a watch in over a year. Looking for one under a grand. I really like Longines history, and even though their past is past, I like their heritage conquest. Been a fan of design, but the gold indices I don't like. I prefer silver. Vintage I'm looking at a king/grand seiko. Diver Christopher Ward Trident Pro 300. I have a love/hate relationship with the hands. Also I've heard the clasp is quite long and may be problem with my 6inch wrists. Looking for under 40mm. I keep imagining myself with a GADA, but I really I go into office 3 days a week, and don't really do anything outdoors. Maybe beach/pool here and there during spring/summer, so I'm kinda leaning towards the Longines or vintage KS/GS.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Personally, I find the entire thing obnoxious and I prefer not participating under those terms. It's the same thing with cars. I'm very happy to tell a dealer that in either case.

karim

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't had a watch in over a year. Looking for one under a grand. I really like Longines history, and even though their past is past, I like their heritage conquest. Been a fan of design, but the gold indices I don't like. I prefer silver. Vintage I'm looking at a king/grand seiko. Diver Christopher Ward Trident Pro 300. I have a love/hate relationship with the hands. Also I've heard the clasp is quite long and may be problem with my 6inch wrists. Looking for under 40mm. I keep imagining myself with a GADA, but I really I go into office 3 days a week, and don't really do anything outdoors. Maybe beach/pool here and there during spring/summer, so I'm kinda leaning towards the Longines or vintage KS/GS.

You can't go wrong with Longines. I love the styling of vintage KS/GS in their 44gs case or 45gs case.

For me I like dive watches as a gada style watch. Check out the seiko spb317.

If you like the vintage style, maybe check out some vintage omega seamasters as well.

Also I highly recommend Nomos club series of watches.

good luck on the watch search

Last edited:

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Got myself a nice Christmas present this year after selling off my Navitimer and other watches, so that I'll end up with a modest 2-3 watch collection. This is basically my (affordable) grail watch, along eventually with a certain Patek dress watch reference. I wish the gray boutique dial VC Overseas or any Nautilus would be ever in my budget but this 114300 is at least just as nice for a fraction of those prices.
8256ae22-0ae7-438c-agwfmn.jpeg

The FiftySix is a nice timepiece for sure but a little bit overpriced since the exact same movement from ValFleurier that you find in a Cartier Drive de Cartier is in there for a third of the price. To me in house or not doesn't matter too much but it's just the fact that you're clearly paying for the brand in this case. If you want a nice VC dress watch, why not go for a handwound VC Malte with a sapphire caseback and Poinçon de Genève? Should be even cheaper than a 56 on the used market.
Also in general unless you have money to burn, don't build a "relationship" with an AD or a boutique. All you do is buy expensive crap you don't need in order to be qualified to buy the watch you actually want. You'll never save money by getting a model for the retail price unless you spend a good amount on undesirable models beforehand every time. They're dangling a carrot on a stick in front of you - plain and simple. On the used market you should be able to score a 4500v fullset in blue for 22-24k which should be also the retail price anyway.
Haven't regretted using Chrono24, eBay and local seller sites for getting great deals on watches in great condition. You just have to be constantly on the hunt but eventually a good offer WILL pop up.

Last edited:

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017

I love the nighthawk. Got my first one like 15 years ago now and it still works perfectly.

I'm not swimming in the waters most of y'all are but I still love looking. I stick with citizen and higher end MTG G-shocks, but if I ever get rich I'd get my hands on a Breitling and an Omega moon watch. Right now the most expensive watch I own is an MR-G Kachi Iro titanium that I traded a limited edition MTGB1000 for.

Oct 30, 2017
So I've narrowed down my (almost) every day watch. One is first gen aqua terra 39mm black quartz. The other is a vintage 5722 Grand Seiko. I have a desk job so not worried about physical activities with vintage.

I am I worried about a splash or even a drop, even moisture from humidity causing the dial to fog up. I live in Florida too. Oh it rains a lot here, so having to hide the watch if I'm stuck outside would be kinda annoying.

What say you guys for those who may have a vintage watch as a daily wearer?

I'd really like a Monta Triumph but I've read those with small wrists the clasp is really long and I like brackets

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
Out of the
So I've narrowed down my (almost) every day watch. One is first gen aqua terra 39mm black quartz. The other is a vintage 5722 Grand Seiko. I have a desk job so not worried about physical activities with vintage.

I am I worried about a splash or even a drop, even moisture from humidity causing the dial to fog up. I live in Florida too. Oh it rains a lot here, so having to hide the watch if I'm stuck outside would be kinda annoying.

What say you guys for those who may have a vintage watch as a daily wearer?

I'd really like a Monta Triumph but I've read those with small wrists the clasp is really long and I like brackets
Out of the three, and considering your circumstances, the Aqua Terra seems the best option.

The vintage Seiko seems like something you'd have to baby and be constantly worrying about and the Monta would probably be uncomfortable on your wrists regardless of how much you adjust the strap.

However, if you really like the Monta, then you could put it on an aftermarket strap that fits your wrist.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
I am getting married in April and wanted to get myself a nice watch for the occasion. I've long admired the aesthetic look of IWC watches. Over the weekend I went to the boutique primarily looking at the Portugieser and Portfino line. In the end, I ended up really liking Portifno Chronograph (IW391031).

iwc_portofino_chronograph_1613813465_8e649d9f_progressive.jpg

Unfortunately in Vancouver, there's only one AD and I don't believe they carry this model. They didn't particularly seem amenable to a discount so I am curious if anyone has any experience to share.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
My current every day watch. My only quartz watch but with the crazy amount of functions it never seems to leave my wrist.

img_6892-jpg.17234534

Oct 27, 2017
London
I've got the steel version of this and it also fits the bill. Big Breitling vibes and much nicer finishing than the Casio. It's on Joma for under $300 too.
certina-ds-multi8-alarm-quartz-analogdigital-mens-watch-c0204194408201.jpg
Discontinued watch, sad times (too late, didn't know this existed and bought the Casio), there aren't enough ana-digi watches in the world and of course Certina discontinued one of their more innovative watches, people seem to buy Swiss for mechanical watches most of the time so they don't innovate with quartz and stick to the basics and all the innovation is done by Citizen, Casio, etc from what I notice, speaking as someone who likes mechanical watches but also has an obsession with multi-function quartz

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Tried a BB58 blue. Finally saw one in person. What a gorgeous watch. Not only in design, but the movement with 70 hr power reserve. That watch is about the max my small wrist can take.The BB36 was so bland and boring.

I did see a Tissot Seastar 36mm. I tried it on to see if I can the pull off an omega smp 36mm. I must admit it was really small, but a size thats form fitting. So at the moment my list for my only watch is the BB58, AT 2500 36mm, AT 8500 quartz, or the SMP 36mm.