astro

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Morning Star.

I have to say, while I really did enjoy this book the constant twists and set backs and oh so clever ways the heroes managed to overcome some of them became a bit exhausting lol, still the end was satisfying if a bit too telegraphed by the scene where Darrow gives Cassius the holo to view. It made no sense that he'd attack them the way he did after that scene so I knew it must be a ruse, especially as there was only like 15 pages left. I guess it's hard to mask that at the very end of a book though. .

Still, a fantastic trilogy with some great characters and fun lore. The descriptions of large scale space battles were some of my favourite parts. The assault on Roque's ship with the Helldiver pods was especially good. .

Looking at the next few books and how big they are, I think I'll take a break for a bit so I don't burn out. I read those so quickly I need a bit of time to digest them too.

Would definitely recommend this trilogy.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Finished Morning Star.

I have to say, while I really did enjoy this book the constant twists and set backs and oh so clever ways the heroes managed to overcome some of them became a bit exhausting lol, still the end was satisfying if a bit too telegraphed by the scene where Darrow gives Cassius the holo to view. It made no sense that he'd attack them the way he did after that scene so I knew it must be a ruse, especially as there was only like 15 pages left. I guess it's hard to mask that at the very end of a book though. .

Still, a fantastic trilogy with some great characters and fun lore. The descriptions of large scale space battles were some of my favourite parts. The assault on Roque's ship with the Helldiver pods was especially good. .

Looking at the next few books and how big they are, I think I'll take a break for a bit so I don't burn out. I read those so quickly I need a bit of time to digest them too.

Would definitely recommend this trilogy.

I've got the box set of the 1st five books but not touched it yet. Gonna start after i finish Shogun, can't wait!

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Probably one of of the few series where each book is better than the preceding ones.

Don't forget about the graphic novels!
www.piercebrown.com

Red Rising Comics — PIERCE BROWN

Red Rising: Sons of Ares is a six-issue comic book series published by Dynamite Entertainment. A prequel to the Red Rising science fiction series by Pierce Brown, it was written by Brown and Rik Hoskin, with art by Eli Powell. The series explores the origins of the rebel group "Sons of Ares&quo

ZJj78PA.jpg

After reading Elaine Dundy's debut (and still most famous) novel, The Dud Avocado, I sought out her second novel (also available through NYRB Classics; her third and final novel, The Injured Party, does not seem to have been reissued in recent decades). There are some similarities to The Dud Avocado here, insofar as it follows the exploits of a chaotic young American woman living the expatriate life in Europe (France there; here, it's England). The Old Man and Me turns out to be a bit more aggressively pulpier, as our protagonist is soon revealed to have a somewhat surprising backstory and inconsistently-acted-on dark designs. It's a lot of fun, and Dundy's prose style is consistently excellent; a great use of first person narrative voice, and also demonstrating how it can be affected by a range of stimulants. The protagonist, Honey Flood (great unused Bond girl name), is a memorable anti-heroine of a sort that would surely have been especially unusual in the 1960s when this was written. It's a bit surprising to me that these books have mostly remained at cult status.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I am in the middle of Pax by Tom Holland and I really like the stories about the Roman Empire. I am fascinated by it. Thanks to this thread I got my eye on SPQR.

y0shizawa

May 3, 2021
81eFF8CCzTL._SL1500_.jpg

Finished this and really enjoyed it. Went straight into Book 2 and very quickly DNF'd it. Just couldn't click at all with the new direction and characters so decided to leave Aching God as a fun experience in and of itself.

DanDanderson

May 7, 2024
Just finished the Remembrance of Earth's Past series. Still processing everything but my gosh, what excellent and truly creative works.

If anyone has any recommendations on a good sci-fi series, please share. I need something to help cure a severe case of book hangover.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the Remembrance of Earth's Past series. Still processing everything but my gosh, what excellent and truly creative works.

If anyone has any recommendations on a good sci-fi series, please share. I need something to help cure a severe case of book hangover.

The Expanse, Dune and Red Rising are my 3 current favs. Murderbot Diaries are fun too. Think they are making an AppleTV+ show out of it which means great production quality.