thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Officially hit my break-in mileage yesterday! Will have new oil/filter in this week, ready to go full speed before the weekend.

There was one on a Youtube channel I watch a few months back:

www.youtube.com

The Motorcycle that Arrived 25 Years Too Soon

I get the chance to meet Jake- the owner of a retro motorcycle that was manufactured only in 1995 and 1996, and arrived 25 years too early.Harley Davidson ch...

One I'm going to see has that same exhaust as the one in the vid already. Sure it's older but it's a Honda and shares same engine as the Steed 400 so outside of a few specific bits parts shouldn't be too hard to come by. Asking price is a bit over $1500 (when converted to USD).

This is pretty damn cool.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I've never really thought of being a motorcycle rider in the past, but I saw an Indian FTR Rally recently and my god that's a beautiful machine. Had me seriously considering whether it's something I could get into.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I've never really thought of being a motorcycle rider in the past, but I saw an Indian FTR Rally recently and my god that's a beautiful machine. Had me seriously considering whether it's something I could get into.

Take a riding course! Depending on where you live, there's typically at least one decent option. Where I live in the U.S., we have two routes: the MSF Basic Rider Course (BRC), and the Harley-Davidson rider course. Both offer similar instruction, and at the end of the course, assuming you pass, you get a certificate to take to the DMV/gov't office to get your license updated to reflect that you're good to go. I was really nervous when I took mine, but I loved it, knew I was hooked, and really haven't looked back. That was in 2007.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
A coworker who wants to get a bike just got his endorsement through powerride university. If you live in the US your state might subsidize the cost or might be another option than MSF. Here in VA it's 300+, but in Ohio it's 50$ I think.

It's a fun weekend and covers the basics and will give you an idea if you want a bike or not, and once you get your license you're good.

I rode an FTR last summer when an Indian demo event. It's the only Indian I would choose.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I wish I had got my bike license while living in the US. Soo much cheaper and easier there not to mention a lot of time saved. On the plus side I guess the rigorous training you have to do here in Japan should hopefully make you a better rider from the start.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Ok so report!

Sunday really ended up becoming a bike-a-thon shopping day for me hah.

Morning started seeing the VRX 400 I mentioned above. A few pics below. First off it sounded fantastic with that Supertrapp exhaust on it just like in the Youtube vid above as well. 34000km on the odo (~21k in miles). Price it stupidly cheap. I'm still on the fence I haven't committed to buying just yet. Problems are buying from a private party here in Japan seems a bit more of a pita compared to a dealer. Sure it's cheap but I'll be on the hook also to get this thing to pass inspection (called 'sha-ken') which is required every two years on bikes over 250cc. Current inspection expires next month. That costs a roughly 60,000 yen (~$400 USD with todays rates). That's minus any parts that will need to be changed to pass said inspection. Owner thinks it will pass just fine as is which if you are selling something that is what you would likely say hah. Speaking of owner he has only owned it for one year himself and claims to be selling due to space issues.

Bike itself was a bit beat when you look at it close. Missing the original VRX badges from the tank and there were some very obvious areas of heavy repainting. They did make a 'black edition' of this bike which it may well be but it also may be a repaint I wonder. Given the cheap price I half want to buy it to have a beater, project bike but the other half is telling me to wait for a cleaner example, black but not black edition (same as what was in the Youtube)

U8qFM9a.jpg

Hp4zX9h.png
I7q93kq.jpg

Next up since I had already driven way out here to check this out decided to go over to the Honda Dream dealer in the city over as there is a new bike for sale there that is just about double what the VRX is but well... new.

gjVW604.jpg

The Honda GB350 isn't sold in the US and out the door would be 610,000 Yen (bit over $4k usd). Single cylinder, classic style, 350cc that pumps out... 20ps 😆. VRX is rated at 30 for comparison (these are 350cc~400cc bikes after all). Good enough for the city riding here though really. Sounded decent but not nearly as good as the VRX. Compared to the VRX also I was a bit surprised how much bigger (wider?) it felt sitting on it compared to the VRX. Parts for it like the engine and such are made at Honda's factory in India but final assembly takes place in Japan so they can sell it as made in Japan lol. Classic styling and new for all of $4k though? I have to admit it is tempting to just grab one for the fun of it regardless if I end up with a different bike first.

Next it was time to hop over to the next city since being in the mood to check out bikes there was another dealer I've been having the itch to see... Kawasaki! There were two bikes there I have been wanting to swing a leg over to check out.

First was the...

lo072T4.jpg

Kawasaki Eliminator! This and the next one below definitely the most powerful of the bunch. 400cc pumps out 48ps. More of a cruiser style though. Super comfortable to sit on I have to admit! All the modern amenities one could want on it too. But also that comes with a price attached... most expensive of the bunch today at something around 870,000 Yen out the door (~6k usd). To be fair that's cheaper than the US price for them but US also gets 450cc engine. They keep it at 400cc here so those with the regular bike license which limits you to bikes up to 400cc can still ride it.

Looks wise it's... good but I really prefer a more classic/retro look I think. Also another downside is there is currently a 6 month wait list for them so I wouldn't be seeing it until ~October or November at the earliest. But damn if it wasn't comfortable. Exhaust sound was... ok?

Next one at the Kawasaki dealer I was wanting to try shares same engine and you can probably guess....

xrfqrIV.jpg

Ninja 400. Given regular license restrictions they'll still be making and selling the Ninja 400's here. I'm more interested in the retro styling for sure but at some point I'll definitely want to try out a sport bike I'm sure. That was an interesting seating position. I love the green I have to admit so whenever I do get around to a sport bike I may just be team Kawasaki. I'll search around for some used ones I think

But you see that black/yellow beauty peaking out behind it? Yeah that's more my cup of tea. I sat on that Z900RS and while it felt gigantic compared to any of the other bikes I tried that day at the same time it was quit comfortable. Even though it's big no problem flat footing it when sitting on it. Having an engine larger than 400cc though means it will be out for me for the time being. I could get the regular bike license then proceed to straight get the large bike license and go straight for something like that as a first bike but I really feel I want to cut my teeth on something under 400cc for the first year or so at least so for now that will be on hold. But also realizing that the Z900RS was the bike I really wanted made it hard for me to swallow paying the cash for the Eliminator new.

On the way back home I decided to make one last stop at a popular used bike chain here in Japan called Red Baron. Every store has a different lineup so always interesting to see what they have. Plus they can search the database of all their stores and if a different shop has something you are looking for they can ship it over. One other benefit is their prices include the shaken inspection fees and they go over the bikes and fix and repair any issues before selling them.

Walking into the shop seeing the rows of bikes there was one that right away drew my attention. It was something else I had been searching for (not VRX hah) but wasn't able to find one close to my area given the rarity (Red Barons don't generally post their lots online on sites like goobike). So I was a bit surprised to see one just sitting there right at this closest shop to me.

oLzQzLd.jpg

Wpwj0u0.jpg

2006 Kawasaki W400. Single owner, 12000km on the odo (~7500miles) was garage kept (they claim at least hah). But it was really super clean. No corrosion on the wheel spokes at all like I saw on the VRX or really any corrosion/rust anywhere. Whoever owned it before took care of it it looks like. Really comfortable feeling sitting on this one as well.

Priced lower than the new GB350 but more than the VRX. But also includes the inspection, new tire and other maintenance. Really beautiful bike. I still prefer the exhaust sound of the v-twin on that VRX but this 360 degree parallel twin also sounds quite nice. Classic styling that I love and 400cc so will be just perfect for the regular license limit. The shop also has a promotion for new riders they give cash back to help pay for the license which makes it a bit cheaper as well in that regard. Also you can reserve the bike (they won't sell it to others) and pay for it once you get the license.

Sooo...... I bought it 😆. Not right away. I went home and slept on it. I can always buy a new GB350 they are always available. The VRX may still be a maybe just given how dirt cheap it was but on the other hand while I was at Red Baron I had them pull up other VRX's in their system and they had a few even black ones which weren't that much more plus looked way cleaner (and include that inspection, maintenance, stock badging on the tank etc) . But will I ever be able to find a W400 with just 12000km on the odo again? In that clean of condition? Likely not.

I'll be starting the license course next month to get the regular license and should hopefully be finished mid-May.

Edit: I forgot to share this fine specimen that I saw out for a ride when I was driving around lololo 🇺🇸
rEMiNpR.png

Last edited:

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Hello Motorcycle Era! I've been lurking here for quite awhile, but I actually joined your ranks last year getting my motorcycle license, and in later fall found a very lightly used Z400 as my first bike. Unfortunately being in the upper Midwest of the US meant I only got a few hundred miles in before putting it away for the long winter. Hope to get it out soon, even though forecast doesn't looked that promising yet 😖

Congrats! I admit I love the look of the the GB350, it's definitely the low capacity retro bike I'd be most interested in owning in my dream garage, but I get not be that excited at new bike prices for it.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Sooo...... I bought it 😆.

Congratulations! I can definitely understand with how clean that example looks. Very interesting bike too, that push rod assembly (if that's what that is) is absolutely beautiful to behold.

And good on you for going with a twin. Definitely makes for a more versatile bike.

Thanks for typing all that out. Fun to read your thoughts.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Congrats! I admit I love the look of the the GB350, it's definitely the low capacity retro bike I'd be most interested in owning in my dream garage, but I get not be that excited at new bike prices for it.

I still want to check out the GB350 once I get the license. The one in the pic above is available for rent as they don't really do test drives here but have a range of bikes that you can rent for a few days. Even new at $4k USD it's just almost within the realm of impulse buy. If only there wasn't those dang bi-year inspection fees, yearly tax and insurance costs that have to continue to be paid. To be fair though on 400cc bikes those fees aren't too bad.

Congratulations! I can definitely understand with how clean that example looks. Very interesting bike too, that push rod assembly (if that's what that is) is absolutely beautiful to behold.

And good on you for going with a twin. Definitely makes for a more versatile bike.

Thanks for typing all that out. Fun to read your thoughts.

The push rod is a bevel drive! Still overhead cam but uses a drive shaft to drive the cam instead of a timing chain or belt like most engines use. It's a throw back to what old bikes and pre-WWII aircraft engines used to use and I do love the look of it.

Yeah a twin was something I preferred whether that be a V or parallel like I went for. Actually a flat would have been interesting but can't recall any 90's and up era flats under 400cc.

In that image above at the shop there were a number of 400cc bikes with inline 4's as well. I think most driving schools here use the Honda CB400 Super Four as the training bike so I'll get to see how that is pretty soon here.

One thing I am worried is as this is my first bike and being so clean I'm going to be super paranoid about dropping it at some point. That's partly why I'm still tempted to get that beat black VRX as dropping that at least won't be so bad. I have enough space to fit a few bikes but do I need it...

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
The push rod is a bevel drive! Still overhead cam but uses a drive shaft to drive the cam instead of a timing chain or belt like most engines use. It's a throw back to what old bikes and pre-WWII aircraft engines used to use and I do love the look of it.

Ah of course, I should have realized it was bevel going by the size, but yeah man looks dope.

One thing I am worried is as this is my first bike and being so clean I'm going to be super paranoid about dropping it at some point. That's partly why I'm still tempted to get that beat black VRX as dropping that at least won't be so bad. I have enough space to fit a few bikes but do I need it...

Hehe, "one of us, one of us."

Speaking from experience, it is nice to have at least one 'beater' bike. I don't abuse my GS or anything, but it's nice to not be paranoid about every little drop of rain / mud / road salt that gets on it. If the VRX is mechanically sound, you might end up loving it more for the simple reason that you'll be able to just use it. Save the W400 for coffee on blue skied Sundays.

Or, this is going to sound crazy, stick with the W400 and just use that. Give it some patina instead of keeping it pretty for the next owner.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
First bit of weather today where I am in the UK that's really felt like decent spring biking weather and immediately felt crushed as I drove home in my dumb car knowing I currently don't have a bike. I keep hearing a V4 engined bike going up and down the main road a literal stones throw from where I live and I swear motorbikes sound better when the sun is out.

Last edited:

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Hehe, "one of us, one of us."

Speaking from experience, it is nice to have at least one 'beater' bike. I don't abuse my GS or anything, but it's nice to not be paranoid about every little drop of rain / mud / road salt that gets on it. If the VRX is mechanically sound, you might end up loving it more for the simple reason that you'll be able to just use it. Save the W400 for coffee on blue skied Sundays.

Or, this is going to sound crazy, stick with the W400 and just use that. Give it some patina instead of keeping it pretty for the next owner.

Oh I do plan to ride that W400! I will be worried to death of dropping it someday though. 😆

But... I also still probably want more of a beater that can act more as a daily rider if needed I think too. I had a thought last night that maybe I should be looking at 250's for that purpose to avoid the whole bi-annual inspections deal. Then again it seems like doing the inspections on your own rather than a shop isn't that hard and drops the cost by half. Also looking into it insurance for 400cc and below seems to run about ~1200 Yen ($7usd) per month so that's no problem. Yearly tax for 400cc bikes is about 6000 Yen ($40). So costs of having more than one bike even if it were up to another 400cc aren't actually that bad...

I've been looking and ~5 year old used Ninja 400's and 250's are super cheap if I want to have a bit of a different style... 🤔 Well I should pass the course first before thinking about second bike. 😂

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Did a motorcycle training course last weekend in Bielefeld. Really liked it. Was able to test my cornering ABS. It's magic.
We had every kind of weather at 6C. I was glad that I had around 7 layers to keep me dry and warm.
Thinking about doing it again next year and also stepping up the difficulty.

Will also test the Speed 400 in April when my 1200 RS gets its yearly check up and new tires.

Last edited:

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
New Indian Scouts unveiled and looking nice. Sadly thanks to import tax and weak yen way too much for my budget over here. Older model Bobber sells for 2.4 million yen and with the price increase these will likely be more than 2.5. For comparison the Kawasaki Z900RS is only 1.5 million new (about a $6k usd difference)

indian-my25-464a-carbide-speedplus-lineup-scout-bobber.png

www.cycleworld.com

2025 Indian Scout First Look

Indian’s 2025 Scout cruiser is available in five unique flavors, including Scout Classic, Super Scout, Scout Bobber, Sport Scout, and 101 Scout.e

Also looks like I will be going straight for the large bike license right after I finish the regular one. School I'll be going has campaign which drops 50,000 yen off the price so may as well get it done now even if I have no intention to use it right away. I get my schedule to start this weekend. 30 some odd hours of fun ahead 😆.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Did a motorcycle training course last weekend in Bielefeld. Really liked it. Was able to test my cornering ABS. It's magic.
We had every kind of weather at 6C. I was glad that I had around 7 layers to keep me dry and warm.
Thinking about doing it again next year and also stepping up the difficulty.

I should make a point of doing this... someday. You don't really get to learn how those systems work with regular street riding.

Also looks like I will be going straight for the large bike license right after I finish the regular one.

Excellent!

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Also looks like I will be going straight for the large bike license right after I finish the regular one. School I'll be going has campaign which drops 50,000 yen off the price so may as well get it done now even if I have no intention to use it right away. I get my schedule to start this weekend. 30 some odd hours of fun ahead 😆.

What's the cut off between the two licenses?

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
It's like that with every motorcycle thread, not even worth reading/replying too. There's a lot of people on this forum that are afraid of everything. Last one was just saying if you ride one you're selfish, and now this one you're just a dick. I added a link to here for the few in there that do ride.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I have to say I love how much simpler the design of the SD GT's wheels are. I can completely clean the rear wheel in under two minutes. The 890's wheels had like ten different surfaces to clean per spoke, and every single one got filthy AF.

It's like that with every motorcycle thread, not even worth reading/replying too. There's a lot of people on this forum that are afraid of everything. Last one was just saying if you ride one you're selfish, and now this one you're just a dick. I added a link to here for the few in there that do ride.

I could understand if someone had responsibilities (children etc.) and was being dangerous in their riding, but I mean there are a thousand things you can be irresponsible and dangerous with. A dad who goes out and gets in bar fights and goes to jail for assault is a POS, just as someone doing a buck sixty through traffic is one.
And yeah, on taking risks, we know it's more dangerous than driving a car. We don't need to be lectured. It can be done safely, too. Anyway.

Good on linking to here. I saw at least one person post who I don't think has posted their stuff in here.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Wubby Good luck!
Japan seem like an awesome place for riding.

Thank you! it does seem to be quite a nice place for riding. If I was still in the US not sure I would be getting into this... Hard to say for sure I always had a bit of an interest and riding those California canyons does look fun. Maybe I can rent a bike when I go back for a visit and see how it is.

Thanks!

What's the cut off between the two licenses?

'Regular' license allows you to ride any bikes 400cc and smaller. The 'Large' license lets you ride any bike larger than 400cc. But you unfortunately can't go straight to a Large license from the start. You have to get the 400cc license first then you are allowed to get the Large license so you are paying for school twice and have to go through the whole test thing again. I think it may be similar to how they do it in Europe? Though in Japan it is possible at least to go from the regular to large license and without having owned or rode a 400cc bike outside of school if you pass both tests you could theoretically go straight out and buy a 1000cc bike as your first bike if one were so inclined.

I did register and pay my fee for the schooling for the regular license today. Schooling costs come out to $700 for each license. About 17 hours of lessons for both. You can only do up to two hours of lessons per day and it is cancelled if it rains. They do have night classes at least so I'll be able to knock out some after work. There's a mix of actual riding and some kind of simulator as well. All riding takes place on their set course none of it on actual roads. First one will be on Wednesday for me.

I got the list of gear required today too so went over to one of the local motorcycle gear shops. The list wasn't terribly too long, full face helmet, riding gloves, riding boots/shoes. Pants and long sleeve shirt are required but doesn't seem to necessarily be bike gear so I didn't buy anything for those. Given I needed the stuff by Wednesday didn't want to spend too much as I figure I'll probably get some better stuff later on. Just went with what was comfortable for the shoes and gloves (some Japanese brand called Komine).

Helmet I realized I probably should have researched a bit more before hand but I know Arai and Shoei seem to be good/popular and they had this one called a 'GT Air II' on sale as there is apparently a newer 'III' model coming soon. The shop had a 'personal fitting service' they could measure my noggin and adjust the pads to make it a perfect fit which was nice. It felt quite light compared to the others around same price (after discount at least) and probably what really sealed the deal for me on it was a built in drop down sun visor. Total came out to less than $300 converted to USD which was perhaps a bit more than I wanted to spend but seems like a pretty nice starter helmet at least. I went with black to have a neutral color that would match any bike.

WadoqIi.jpg

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
I wish I had a shop locally or nearby that had a helmet fitting service. I've got a long oval shaped head and they seem to be the shape that is catered to the least in the helmet market. I'm a bit of an aesthetics snob and a lot of long oval lids look pretty cheap and just a bit plain, imho.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Really can't go wrong with a Shoei.

Hit 54F today although we did get 15" of snow last Thursday. Going to be 62F tomorrow. Time to think about getting the bikes out.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
77F here over the weekend. Took the opportunity to do the full service on the GS. Still a bunch of work, but it feels good knowing that everything was actually done. Flushing of ABS pump included (which is a hassle, cause you have to remove the tank and those 'quick release' fuel lines that don't want to come apart and don't want to come back together either - and you have to pray to the gods that the fuel lines don't crack and rupture cause of the tugging on them).

Anyway it's all done. Just the front brake pads and then it's good for another year of riding.

7-A45-BF2-E-DC79-4-ABB-A4-FD-56-BB9-F58-BC28.jpg

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Got my front turn signals wired up and inner cowls installed. Have my fairings back on but missing a few bolts, so waiting on those to arrive. Also ordered a clear windscreen and metal screw kit since I stripped one trying to loosen up the front fairing (those windshield screws are made of clay). After that just make sure everything is tightened up and then put in all the fasteners. Also need to put some heat tape on the exhaust side of my coolant reservoir. The final test will be getting its safety inspection, which a friend and I will ride out to a distant shop to get.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Any trips planned yet?

Next month a short trip with friends to Germany (Eifel area). And I might join my parents for a few days when they're going to the Ventoux in France around September.

Not sure whether a longer trip to the Alps is on the cards this year. Pretty expensive endeavour and I'm absolutely hemorrhaging cash right now because of this business I'm trying to get going.

The final test will be getting its safety inspection, which a friend and I will ride out to a distant shop to get.

Do you get like a one-time exemption so that you can take the bike to that shop?

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Next month a short trip with friends to Germany (Eifel area). And I might join my parents for a few days when they're going to the Ventoux in France around September.

Not sure whether a longer trip to the Alps is on the cards this year. Pretty expensive endeavour and I'm absolutely hemorrhaging cash right now because of this business I'm trying to get going.

Do you get like a one-time exemption so that you can take the bike to that shop?

It hasn't been inspected since 2011. Lots of people don't get their bike inspected since the sticker is concealed on the fork but more for me knowing I got it up to standards haha. Safety inspections at least in Virginia are a scam anyways.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
It hasn't been inspected since 2011. Lots of people don't get their bike inspected since the sticker is concealed on the fork but more for me knowing I got it up to standards haha. Safety inspections at least in Virginia are a scam anyways.
That kind of crazy.

Next month a short trip with friends to Germany (Eifel area).

beware the "Blitzer" and keep you tire profile above 1.7 mm.

love the Eifel. :)

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA

Sounds lovely. I'll probably do a couple overnight trips, perhaps get down into the mountains southwest of me.

Safety inspections at least in Virginia are a scam anyways.

Absolutely.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
What's that? Speed cams?

And thanks for the tip, will have a look at my tires.
Correct, many mobile speed cams especially at the beginning of the season.

1.7 mm is the minimum tire profile. Police couldn't care that you have a orange license plate and won't let you ride away when they see this as a danger. It's sometimes relatively weird.

Im changing my S22 with 2.5 mm because I don't want to risk anything.

www.bussgeldkatalog.org

The German Driving Laws and Fines - Traffic Fines 2024

llll➤ German driving laws and fines 2024 - infos for foreigners e.g. fines, driving licence, German Autobahn, car parking, drunk driving etc.

German speeding fines

Out of townFinePointsDriving ban
…1 - 10 km/h€ 20
…11 - 15 km/h€ 40
…16 - 20 km/h€ 60
…21 - 25 km/h€ 701
…26 - 30 km/h€ 8011 month
…31 - 40 km/h€ 12011 month
…41 - 50 km/h€ 16021 month
…51 - 60 km/h€ 24021 month
…61 - 70 km/h€ 44022 months
> 70 km/h€ 60023 months

In townFinePointsDriving ban
…1 - 10 km/h€ 30
…11 - 15 km/h€ 50
…16 - 20 km/h€ 70
…21 - 25 km/h€ 8011 month
…26 - 30 km/h€ 10011 month
…31 - 40 km/h€ 16021 month
…41 - 50 km/h€ 20021 month
…51 - 60 km/h€ 28022 months
…61 - 70 km/h€ 48023 months
> 70 km/h€ 68023 months

Last edited:

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I figure I'll document my Japanese Motorcycle school journey here as I go along.

Last night was lesson #1. Due to work schedule and the times they have open for lessons I will only be able to do a maximum of two hours per day which actually works out as they have a limit of only two hours per day in any case. 17 hours in total will be needed before I can take the test (which will also be at the school).

Being the first lesson and having never really ridden a proper motorcycle before I went figuring it would be just an hour lesson going over things like safety and the different parts of the bike not actually riding anything. Boy how wrong did I end up being lol.

Instructor was a nice old man probably in his late 60's. Right from the start they had me put on knee and elbow pads and a bright colored numbered vest. Walk outside and there is the expected Honda CBF400. Blue one slightly older and has definitely been around the block a few times as it has seen countless new riders.

Absolute first thing they check is whether or not I would be able to pick it up from its side (required in order to get license). Instructor lays it down shows me where to grab it then says pick 'er up. CBF400 is near 200kg but really wasn't an issue and he laughed when I did it no sweat (maybe others have trouble?).

Next we go over the bike. How to operate kick stand, center stand (I'll need to put one of these on the W400), where the accelerator is, front/rear brakes, clutch and gear lever, turn signals, lights, engine start. Then while its on the center stand has me hop on and practice the above. Then fires it up and has me row through the gears. There are big colored lights on the front of the bike that indicate which gear you are in so easy to see where you are going. This morning day after I've already forgotten just how to find neutral 😆. Clutch in toe under lever to shift up. Push down on the lever to shift down. Here I realize the riding shoes I bought maybe not the best? I wonder size maybe just bit big as I sometimes have trouble getting the foot under the lever.

Up to this point it's been about maybe 20 minutes in total? Instructor goes ok thats good now put on your helmet and riding gloves and let's go! ...wait what? 😆 Not on my own just yet has me hop on the back and he rides it around the course a few times. Growing up my step dad had an early 90's Goldwing but this is first time I've been on a bike in a looong time.

After a few rounds he stops at a straightaway on the course and then says ok your turn! 😱 He doesn't hop on with me but stands on the side and has me practice giving it gas and releasing the clutch to get it to go. Maybe I'm just not used to it but this bike has a jerky throttle. When I drive my car I can smoothly release clutch while giving it gas to get it moving from a stop but this bike seems like the tiniest amount of throttle and it wants to rocket off. This is only a 400cc bike too mind you so now I really can appreciate how crazy it would be to go out and buy some liter bike as a first bike. I think I'll be just fine with the W400 for a while 😱.

After a few starts and stops we make our way back to the bike shed and he hops on another CB400 then has me follow him around the course the rest of the lesson. Left hand clutch and using the foot to row gears is just not natural for me yet so I struggle with this a bit especially in the beginning. Quite jerky going from 1st to 2nd but going from 2nd to 3rd feels smoother. I stalled maybe twice which doesn't seem so bad. Definitely was getting better by the end but that is going to take some getting used to.

Tonight will be hour #2 then I'll have #3 and 4 tomorrow.

While my choice of boots may not have been the best I have to say that Shoei helmet was quite comfortable. Does not move around and was pretty light that I near forgot I was even wearing it. Mostly low speed stuff around the course though so I never bothered to close the visor and just left it open the whole time.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Day 2 / Hour #2 report!

Same instructor as the day before. Gear up, nothing to talk about before riding today. Initially same blue CB400 as the day before but today the battery isn't wanting to cooperate. He push starts it once but I proceed to stall it out right away 😂. Rather than push start it again and knowing I'll likely stall out at some point he pulls out the second blue CB400 from the shed. I'm starting to think these blue CB400's are the ringer bikes that are reserved for the absolute beginners. They have much better looking newer red/silver CB400's in the sheds and today there is also a high school age looking girl also there for a medium bike license and her and her instructor go out on the newer CB400's (wonder what hour she is on). Also I'm confused as I was told we need to wear riding boots which I bought but she just wears the plain low top leather loafer shoes that all high school girls wear.

New bike is out now and off we go. Not sure if I have just gotten better or what but I notice I am getting much better with the throttle and shifting. Still jerky and miss getting into second sometimes but much improved from the day before. I follow him around the course same as yesterday but today there are more turns added to it it seems.

Today also introduced two new things I'll need to pass without issue on the test. First one is starting the bike on an incline from a dead stop. Left foot on the ground, right foot is on the rear brake, smoothly release clutch and give it gas. Same as in a car really but I am just not used to doing this with my hands yet! I stall a bit but get through it.

Next one is more of an issue for me! Today we give the balance beam a go. Have to ride down the center of this narrow beam slowly without putting feet down. At home I ride a bicycle around still from time to time and think my balance is pretty good on two wheels but with the added weight of this bike and the kind of jerky throttle just wasn't able to get through this one today without having to put feet down at some point. Will definitely need more practice on this!

All in all just hour two but definitely feel I am getting better hang of it. Tonight I have two hours of lessons back to back which will be interesting to see how that goes.

Definitely even just doing these low speed maneuvers around the course and being rather horrible at it still though I have to say that riding is FUN! I wish I had gotten started on this earlier. 15 hours in total of lessons left at this point seems quite a long ways off till completion.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Day 2 / Hour #2 report!

Same instructor as the day before. Gear up, nothing to talk about before riding today. Initially same blue CB400 as the day before but today the battery isn't wanting to cooperate. He push starts it once but I proceed to stall it out right away 😂. Rather than push start it again and knowing I'll likely stall out at some point he pulls out the second blue CB400 from the shed. I'm starting to think these blue CB400's are the ringer bikes that are reserved for the absolute beginners. They have much better looking newer red/silver CB400's in the sheds and today there is also a high school age looking girl also there for a medium bike license and her and her instructor go out on the newer CB400's (wonder what hour she is on). Also I'm confused as I was told we need to wear riding boots which I bought but she just wears the plain low top leather loafer shoes that all high school girls wear.

New bike is out now and off we go. Not sure if I have just gotten better or what but I notice I am getting much better with the throttle and shifting. Still jerky and miss getting into second sometimes but much improved from the day before. I follow him around the course same as yesterday but today there are more turns added to it it seems.

Today also introduced two new things I'll need to pass without issue on the test. First one is starting the bike on an incline from a dead stop. Left foot on the ground, right foot is on the rear brake, smoothly release clutch and give it gas. Same as in a car really but I am just not used to doing this with my hands yet! I stall a bit but get through it.

Next one is more of an issue for me! Today we give the balance beam a go. Have to ride down the center of this narrow beam slowly without putting feet down. At home I ride a bicycle around still from time to time and think my balance is pretty good on two wheels but with the added weight of this bike and the kind of jerky throttle just wasn't able to get through this one today without having to put feet down at some point. Will definitely need more practice on this!

All in all just hour two but definitely feel I am getting better hang of it. Tonight I have two hours of lessons back to back which will be interesting to see how that goes.

Definitely even just doing these low speed maneuvers around the course and being rather horrible at it still though I have to say that riding is FUN! I wish I had gotten started on this earlier. 15 hours in total of lessons left at this point seems quite a long ways off till completion.

Riding slow is always the hardest part. The bike becomes instable and you have to use more inputs to get your bike under control. Most seasoned riders have problems with slow manoeuvres.

Can't wait for your next lessons :) This reminds me so much on my A1 license back in 2001/2002. Time flys.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, takes me back reading that.

I think I'll be just fine with the W400 for a while 😱.

You will, for sure. Those big bikes aren't going anywhere.

Left hand clutch and using the foot to row gears is just not natural for me yet so I struggle with this a bit especially in the beginning. Quite jerky going from 1st to 2nd but going from 2nd to 3rd feels smoother. I stalled maybe twice which doesn't seem so bad. Definitely was getting better by the end but that is going to take some getting used to.

Yes, don't worry too much about this. It'll come, but it takes time. I think I had been on the bike for 20 or 24 hours (spread over 12 sessions) before I really started feeling comfortable with the controls. It's a lot to keep track of.

Clutch in toe under lever to shift up. Push down on the lever to shift down. Here I realize the riding shoes I bought maybe not the best? I wonder size maybe just bit big as I sometimes have trouble getting the foot under the lever.

It might not be a bad idea to get a second pair of riding shoes that are not as bulky as they will give you a lot more feel where the shifter is concerned. You can definitely hold on to the boots, but perhaps you'll feel more comfortable using them once you're more familiar with the bike's controls.

Correct, many mobile speed cams especially at the beginning of the season.

1.7 mm is the minimum tire profile. Police couldn't care that you have a orange license plate and won't let you ride away when they see this as a danger. It's sometimes relatively weird.

Im changing my S22 with 2.5 mm because I don't want to risk anything.

Thanks for this btw.

Sounds lovely. I'll probably do a couple overnight trips, perhaps get down into the mountains southwest of me.

Would those mountains be part of the Appalachians?

Here's a few shots from last year btw. My buddy only got around to editing them yesterday hehe.

DSC02396-2.jpg

DSC01884.jpg

DSC02522.jpg

DSC02600.jpg

Last edited:

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Ok day 3 and hours 3 and 4 are finished!

Today after checking in at the front desk I finally got my schedule for the rest of the month. I only had a schedule up to today so was figuring I would get this and thankfully it is for the entire month. If everything goes well my last actual lesson will be on 26th and test will be next day on 27th. Unfortunately even if I pass on the 27th I wouldn't be able to hop right on over to pick up the W400 and go out cruising the entire weekend. First I'll need to take the certification that I passed to the license center for my prefecture which unfortunately is not open on the weekend and is also like an hour drive away. Plus that following week just happens to be what they call 'Golden Week' here which is usually a holiday for a lot of places.

On to lesson 3 report! Today was a new 'sensei' teacher. Much younger guy maybe late 30's early 40's. He seems pretty nice as well thankfully. No bike was pulled out yet so I asked for #7 blue which was the one with good battery that I seemed to do better with yesterday. He seemed to laugh a bit at this maybe they know the #6 I had on first day is a bit more janky I wonder. I also ask about the better looking red/white ones and he confirms those are only allowed for students that have reached a certain point and the blue ones are reserved for the absolute beginners.

Previous instructor never said anything about it so I had been getting on the bike then with my foot pulling up the kick stand. This guy instructed I should put the kick stand up before getting on the bike and likewise put it down after I get off. To be fair with my boots I had been struggling to get it down from a sitting position.

Off we go do some of the same rounds around the track as I had the previous two days. Definitely feeling a bit better in getting through the gears and not accidentally pressing the horn when going to switch on the turn signals. Still far from perfect. Maybe better isn't the right word but comfortable? I still stall a few times here and there. But I think throttle control and clutch release is getting better.

One thing I don't think I mentioned before is that this course is shared by a number of others doing lessons for various things so it is not just us out there. You have trucks (not huge American semis but still decent sized ones) doing their rounds, large fork lifts (!?), students going for regular car license and of course others doing bike license. So there are a number of times when we need to stop to let others go or wait for someone stalled to get going. Of all three days so far today seemed the most crowded on the course.

One new thing was added to todays lesson. Braking at a designated spot from a speed of 40kmh. There's a designated stretch on the side for just the bikes to do this. There are three lines painted at the end and you have to brake and stop just before the middle line (3rd line if its raining I'm told). We go over to this brake test and he has me get off and watch him do the brake test once. Then tells me to get on and make a full circuit around the course then come in to this lane get up to 40 then brake when I pass the cones and stop at the line. First time tells me to do it slowly just to get a feel for it. I make the round around the course (which was also first time I rode solo not following anyone) line up and get in the lane then brake. Seems ok? Tells me go around now do it faster also this time no real problem but I wasn't checking to see if I hit 40. Has me go around do it again make sure I hit 40 then do the brake check. This time I do get it to 40 and still the actual brake thing doesn't seem an issue? I'm not sure if this is supposed to be harder or not but we end that there.

Next back to the hill stop and starts we did day before. I botch it the first few times but third is more smooth and that was it for that today.

Then rest of this lesson was spent on the balance beam where i struggled yesterday. Today I continued to struggle. But at least today I was able to get to practice this a lot more doing it over and over for the rest of the lesson. They also have a white line painted one lane over that isn't raised up off the road like the actual balance beam. Feels easier to control it straight down the painted line than the beam itself for some reason. Towards the end I was able to successfully get over the actual beam once! I will need to master this in order to pass but I still have 15 hours of lessons to go so hopefully will get it in time. This was only the third lesson/hour that I had ever rode a bike to begin with though...

But that was it for actual riding today.

Lesson 4/hour 4! This was going to be on a simulator I'm told so not actually riding. Great a bit of a break! I wonder if all of the two hour lessons are one hour riding then one hour something else? I kind of hope not I didn't really get much out of this next hour and would rather more seat time.

This simulator lesson is also not one on one with an instructor like all the other lessons have been. I was joined by the other kid who was also doing the regular license. He is a bit further along though I take it as he was riding the red/white bikes. Unless I'm mistaken having peaked at his card he was on hour 13 or 14.

Different instructor for this one too. Older guy late 60s maybe even 70s. Hair that reminds me of Elvis seems a bit of a humorous gent.

We go up to second floor of the main school building and there is this thing called the Mitsubishi RS-6000

vnu7vg25.jpg.webp

This is not the actual one at the school but same model. I laugh when it boots up an American Microtrends bios boot screen then Windows XP starts to load. Instructor has the young kid hop on first likely as he's already done it a few times. I guess this is used to simulate real world riding conditions somehow since we only do actual riding on the course. But today they load up just a scenic mountain ride with no other cars or pedestrians to avoid.

Graphics are on par with a Sega Dreamcast or around there. Really ancient looking thing. Bike also doesn't lean at all and I have no clue what gear I am in ever. Bit confused really at the point of this thing at all!

Speaking of not knowing what gear I am in it did make me realize I maybe have been relying on the gear indication lights on the training bike a bit too much. I'm always checking those to see what gear I am in but obviously my W400 and other bikes aren't going to have giant indicator lights. A manual car you always know what gear you are in by the position, first left and up, sixth right and down. But a bike? There is no such positioning to remember.

Both me and the young guy get two rounds on the simulator each round lasting all of maybe three minutes tops. Then finished and brought to another room to watch an equally ancient DVD which.... really has nothing to do with riding. It's a general road rules safety video about not blowing past red lights and watching out for pedestrians and people on scooters blowing past other cars while you are turning. Nearly the same thing they would make you watch at license renewals it seems (in fact I think I may have seen this one before). This goes on for 30 min or so. Kind of a waste of time really but the break was nice.

Old guy comes back and it's about ~10 minutes or so before end of lesson but he really has nothing for us and I guess can't let us leave early either so starts talking and asks questions where I am from. I tell him California and he starts singing California Dreaming by the Mamas and the Papas 😂. Talks about how easy he hears it is go get a bike license in the US and that they have nothing at all like these schools or required courses. Asks if I'm going to vote in the upcoming election then declares he likes Trump (??? 😂😂😂). Bit of a humorous guy indeed.

But that was it once the bell rang end of day. Tomorrow is just one hour thankfully so should just be all riding.

Riding slow is always the hardest part. The bike becomes instable and you have to use more inputs to get your bike under control. Most seasoned riders have problems with slow manoeuvres.

Can't wait for your next lessons :) This reminds me so much on my A1 license back in 2001/2002. Time flys.

Thank you! Yeah I hope I can get it down within the month in order to pass the test. I'm also really curious to see if the red/white bikes which I am guessing will be the test bikes have better controls. Really though it's on me to master doing rear brake, clutch release and accel all at the same time smoothly while also controlling where the bike is going.

Yeah, takes me back reading that.
You will, for sure. Those big bikes aren't going anywhere.

Yes, don't worry too much about this. It'll come, but it takes time. I think I had been on the bike for 20 or 24 hours (spread over 12 sessions) before I really started feeling comfortable with the controls. It's a lot to keep track of.

It might not be a bad idea to get a second pair of riding shoes that are not as bulky as they will give you a lot more feel where the shifter is concerned. You can definitely hold on to the boots, but perhaps you'll feel more comfortable using them once you're more familiar with the bike's controls.

I think I will go out and see if I can't find something that fits a bit better this weekend. Checking what others are wearing they don't really seem to be riding shoes at all so maybe I'll just get a different kind of boot from a local shop. Place I bought the helmet and other gear is an hour drive and they didn't really have a good shoe selection to begin with.