thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Seems my home dealer is going to give me some additional incentive on the SD GT on top of the current sale. I didn't buy just yet, but I'm certainly leaning that way. Seemingly my mileage for my 890 is high (a bit north of 20,000mi/32100km). My bike is worth about half its original sticker price for trade-in 😬. I definitely got a lot of use out of the thing. Suspension service would be beneficial, but luckily that doesn't impact the trade-in. I could potentially get a bit more selling on my own, of course, but...eh. In the three seasons I've done on the thing, hitting all sorts of popular motorcycle roads, I've seen one other 890 R on the road. I'm not all that enthused to try and sell it myself. KTM is a brand that I have to explain to a lot of people, still.

On another note, through some crazy shenanigans, the dealer wound up with a brand new 2024 KTM 890 Adventure Rally. Crazy to see one of those in the flesh.

Any advice getting old stickers off the forks? They crumble when I try to pull them off and I don't want to scratch the forks scrapping them. Heat and goo gone?

I would also try using a scraper (plastic, perhaps) that's softer than your forks and won't scratch/mark them up.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
32 thousand k's wouldn't be considered average round these parts. But I get why the dealer would classify it as 'high.' For a bike in that class anyway. I think it would be less of an issue with a GS or something else that eats miles.

So many American motorcyclists ride for some stupid sense of image, and that also means selecting specific brands/models.

They must have some sort altar at HD on which virgin engineers are sacrificed to keep this phenomenon going.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
They must have some sort altar at HD on which virgin engineers are sacrificed to keep this phenomenon going.

😂
Apparently the big expensive bagger segment is dying. It's partially economics, but also the people that go for that type of thing are literally dying off. There's still a market for people buying $32k Ducatis...

I agree with you about the GS, or really BMW in general - their reputation helps them hold value.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I meant to say 'would' instead of 'wouldn't' by the way 🙈.

And yeah, Ducati, blows my mind that they're still finding success with high end sports bikes. God bless em. (Even though I'd always go for a twin instead of their newer v4's).

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I meant to say 'would' instead of 'wouldn't' by the way 🙈.

And yeah, Ducati, blows my mind that they're still finding success with high end sports bikes. God bless em. (Even though I'd always go for a twin instead of their newer v4's).

Their V4s put out a lot of heat. There are some Ducatis I'd potentially be interested in owning if the maintenance arrangement wasn't such a scam. Perhaps some day I will pick up a used one that I can reset the computer's service on with a mobile app/dongle lol.

Would love a KTM but no dealers around here. Same thing with a Husqvarna to imitate RJ with a Nuda.

I'm swimming in them, seemingly. And yeah...Husqvarna being owned by KTM, they're gonna be sold at the same place. And since I had two warranty fixes done to my Duke...yeah, you probably want a dealer within a reasonable distance.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Flushed and cleaned out the coolant, replaced the overfill reservoir and some tubing on Wed and put in some ICE. Tried to install some stockish turn signals but they aren't thick enough to fit in the front holes unless I'm doing it wrong. Asked for advice on a CBR forum but they didn't seem to understand the issue but they did recommend buying some sumitomo connectors so I can fix the hack job the previous owner did with the wires. Ordered some cheap flush mounts for the front until I can come up with a better solution. Also replaced the front brake pads. Ones on there were maybe halfway but might as well put new ones on anyways since I also did the back.

Next is to wait for the rest of the brake lines to come in then can install and flush the brake fluid since my front brake lever has no pressure.

Also need some touch up paint at some point for some small nics/rust on the tank.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
so I can fix the hack job the previous owner did with the wires

Oh man, don't you just hate that lol.

Next is to wait for the rest of the brake lines to come in then can install and flush the brake fluid since my front brake lever has no pressure.

Stupid question, but is it that much more difficult to properly bleed the system once you've replaced the lines themselves or is it in essence just the same procedure as when you're refreshing the fluid?

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, don't you just hate that lol.

Why do sport bike owners hate stock lights I'll never understand.

Stupid question, but is it that much more difficult to properly bleed the system once you've replaced the lines themselves or is it in essence just the same procedure as when you're refreshing the fluid?

I'll let you know haha. A mechanic friend is helping me so hopefully not too bad.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Why do sport bike owners hate stock lights I'll never understand.
My SV650 restoration is basically "undo everything these kids did to make it 'cooler'":
1. Replaced the tail tidy with the OEM rear fender + lights.
2. Replaced the end-bar rear views with OEM proper standing rear views.
3. Replaced the noisy-as-fuck Two Brothers slip-on with an used exhaust off of Ebay.
4. Replace the cracked front light that was poor-man sealed with a new OEM one.
The only non-OEM thing I've done to it was to put frame sliders in and end-bar sliders on as well. And then I fixed up lots of other stuff as well but that was all "normal" maintenance. The only thing yet to do restoration-wise is to replace the dented tank with one that also has a working low fuel light.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Super-Duke-GT.jpg

I am almost speechless. The pull. The SOUND. It's a lot more comfy. We're gonna enjoy a looooot of miles together.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Damn, congrats buddy. It's beautiful.

My SV650 restoration is basically "undo everything these kids did to make it 'cooler'":
1. Replaced the tail tidy with the OEM rear fender + lights.
2. Replaced the end-bar rear views with OEM proper standing rear views.
3. Replaced the noisy-as-fuck Two Brothers slip-on with an used exhaust off of Ebay.
4. Replace the cracked front light that was poor-man sealed with a new OEM one.
The only non-OEM thing I've done to it was to put frame sliders in and end-bar sliders on as well. And then I fixed up lots of other stuff as well but that was all "normal" maintenance. The only thing yet to do restoration-wise is to replace the dented tank with one that also has a working low fuel light.

Doing god's work.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Took my first real ride today. This thing absolutely rocks. Absolutely sensational. I love the electronic suspension. The power is just enormous - the engine has gobs of character.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Took my first real ride today. This thing absolutely rocks. Absolutely sensational. I love the electronic suspension. The power is just enormous - the engine has gobs of character.

In what sense is the suspension electronic? Like full on the fly automatic adjustment based on conditions or is it different suspension profiles you can choose from?

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
In what sense is the suspension electronic? Like full on the fly automatic adjustment based on conditions or is it different suspension profiles you can choose from?

It's not as customizable as some other semi-active systems. It's definitely more profile-based. That said, it's still awesome. I've kept it in the sport setting, and the setup feels tight and the bike is rather nimble, but it's still soaking up bumps quite nicely. I'm going to give the softer modes a try at some point.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Right, gotcha. Well if it's right, it's right.

Took the X1 to the (rather beautiful) city of Deventer yesterday. Had a great spring day, sunshine, 15 degrees Celsius. Had this bike for 11 years now, but it still manages to excite me.

Last edited:

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I only changed my indicators to cleaner, brighter options. Fortunately now the factory equipment is great. The headlights on the SD GT are awesome at night.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Sumitomo connectors shipped only to find out it's from Tokyo. Site name was Eastern Beaver, no indication items were shipping from Japan 😩

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Found out why my oem style indicators don't fit. I'm missing this part
YA69WKr.png

You can see the 2 holes where the bracket holds the indicator in place. Shout out to cbrforums. Since I already have flushmounts will hold off on this for maybe next season. Thankfully this part isn't too expensive.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
I'm a bit sad to hear that the R1's days are numbered in the UK and Europe and it'll only be sold as a track only bike. I know litre superbikes aren't really in vogue like they used to but I hope eventually they find a cost effective way to work with the Euro 5+ homologation requirements and eventually bring it back.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Not too surprising considering how niche the sportsbike class has become, but it's still a shame. I wonder how quickly this is going to be the case for all manufacturers.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a bit sad to hear that the R1's days are numbered in the UK and Europe and it'll only be sold as a track only bike. I know litre superbikes aren't really in vogue like they used to but I hope eventually they find a cost effective way to work with the Euro 5+ homologation requirements and eventually bring it back.

R9 sounds interesting but a far cry from 198 hp of an r1.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
The OEM fender couldn't properly hold an American license plate...
It had some bracket added on, but it actually was bending my plate! So I did opt for an eliminator. Easily the worst fender swap I've done work-wise...major pain in the ass.

oem-fender-sdgt.jpg

rg-eliminator-sdgt.jpg

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
It bothers me how all these brackets only use the top 2 holes. I hate having a flimsy plate.

Got my steel braided brake lines installed today. Front brake has crazy bite now compared to how bad it was before.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
It bothers me how all these brackets only use the top 2 holes. I hate having a flimsy plate.

Got my steel braided brake lines installed today. Front brake has crazy bite now compared to how bad it was before.

Mine feels solid... I feel like I've run just two for over a decade now.
Nice on the braided lines. They help a lot with the continual braking. My GT has the SAME BRAKES as my 890 R lol. But they're still more than sufficient. The person speccing out the equipment for the 890 R was clearly huffing something and going wild.
That said if the pads are the same as the ones from my 890 R, I'll be ordering the "street race" level Brembo pads from Italy.

Took this today out in the middle of nowhere in a motorcyclists most natural habitat: a coffee shop.

PXL-20240316-182939506-2.jpg

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I found a bike I've been wanting for sale in the next town over and at a rather decent price. Don't have that motorcycle license yet but given this bike was only sold for two years in total and the likelihood to ever find the same model so close again I think I may just buy it now and ask the guy to ride it over and keep it stored till I get my license (will take a few months). Going to check it out this weekend.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Ah nice, yeah I certainly haven't seen one of those before. Looks a bit Harley XR1000 esque. Very cool.

There was one on a Youtube channel I watch a few months back:

www.youtube.com

The Motorcycle that Arrived 25 Years Too Soon

I get the chance to meet Jake- the owner of a retro motorcycle that was manufactured only in 1995 and 1996, and arrived 25 years too early.Harley Davidson ch...

One I'm going to see has that same exhaust as the one in the vid already. Sure it's older but it's a Honda and shares same engine as the Steed 400 so outside of a few specific bits parts shouldn't be too hard to come by. Asking price is a bit over $1500 (when converted to USD).