Oct 29, 2017
USA
I played two 2HG events today with my brother. We did better than we expected considering we hadn't played in years. Neither of our event pools had the crazy bombs so we had to work to figure out our decks each time.

1st event: 2-1

I played RB and my brother played GW. My mana curve was crazy low but it had our best rares. No Rakdos but I did get Jasper Flint and Akul. His GW deck was largely mount focused. Nothing crazy in it, but it played super well and kept big bodies on the field. We crushed game 1 since our opponent had shit luck on draws. We were ground out in game 2 thanks to a Lost Jitte on a Raven of Fell Omens. In hindsight, I should have killed that damn bird right away. Game 3 was a tight back and forth and went to turns. We were able to overpower them at the last minute to secure the win.

2nd event: 1-1-1

Our pool here was a huge struggle. I did pull Lost Jitte but had very little to combo it with. I played UB and my brother played GW with a U splash. Our GW pulls almost mirrored our first event so we went with what worked. I had shit for everything else so just went with UB since time was ticking. We won match 1 due to a similar case of opponents' shit luck. We came so close to winning match 2 but tied due to turns. We were up 38-10 and could kill in 1 or 2 turns. Sucks but those are the rules. We got our asses kicked in match 3 largely thanks a RG deck that overpowered us. I will say Fblthp was my secret MVP this event and only the third match rightfully knew it had to die immediately.

Lesson of the day: If you don't pull bombs, make sure you can kill theirs.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Played Historic Brawl for the first time this weekend and actually had a blast. I watched a tutorial vid on how to make your own deck and I homebrew'd myself a Bontu Zombie deck and a Peregrin Took Food deck. Was able to get wins with both.

It a lot more straightforward than I thought it would be.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Tried Historic Brawl for the first time tonight. I broke even with my Homebrew Bontu Zombie deck, but man is it frustrating.

On one hand I had cool interesting decks that were fun to play against. On the other hand I had copy paste netdecks that just combo'd into the ground with OP cards that shouldn't exist. Representing the absolute worst of anything related to Historic.

I'm 50/50 on the format so far.

Played Historic Brawl for the first time this weekend and actually had a blast. I watched a tutorial vid on how to make your own deck and I homebrew'd myself a Bontu Zombie deck and a Peregrin Took Food deck. Was able to get wins with both.

It a lot more straightforward than I thought it would be.

what

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
What? The first post was the first night I played and the second is my overall summary now after giving a couple days worth of play. The netdecks disappeared and I got a lot of really interesting homebrew stuff. I started winning and started getting the hang of what cards to throw in. I was kind of lost for a bit when it came to older cards because Thrones of Eldraine was my first real set. So anything older than that is completely new to me. Now that I have a better grasp on the older stuff my decks immediately improved and I got better at guessing their game plans based on their commanders. There are WAY more cards to keep track of compared to Standard, but the way you play is still straightforward Magic. It seemed way more complicated at first, but now I get it.

I guess I could have worded it better lol

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
One thing to keep in mind Coyote Starrk is that your commander dictates your matchups a bit. E.g., Golos is known to be in what is called the "hell queue", where top-tier commanders are. The Arena devs have confirmed that there is commander-based matchmaking, but obviously haven't released a list or anything.

So if you're seeing a lot of the same, changing up your commander can help.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
One thing to keep in mind Coyote Starrk is that your commander dictates your matchups a bit. E.g., Golos is known to be in what is called the "hell queue", where top-tier commanders are. The Arena devs have confirmed that there is commander-based matchmaking, but obviously haven't released a list or anything.

So if you're seeing a lot of the same, changing up your commander can help.
Oh wow I had no idea. I thought it was random like normal standard.

That's pretty impressive though because I haven't been running into the same stuff per se I was just mostly running into really popular net decks that I had seen videos of for a little bit there when I first started.

Although now I'm seeing lots of really random and cool stuff. Like I ran into a deck with a commander based around monsters that have defender. So it was an entire deck full of defender creatures. Which was really fun to play against with my zombie deck. It kind of felt like the zombies were sieging a castle lol

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Although now I'm seeing lots of really random and cool stuff. Like I ran into a deck with a commander based around monsters that have defender. So it was an entire deck full of defender creatures. Which was really fun to play against with my zombie deck. It kind of felt like the zombies were sieging a castle lol
Arcades, the Strategist, likely. Definitely a classic commander at this point. You get to play a bunch of commons and uncommons built around that theme.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Arcades, the Strategist, likely. Definitely a classic commander at this point. You get to play a bunch of commons and uncommons built around that theme.
Yeah that's the one. My commander was Bontu.

Image.ashx

I just filled the deck with zombies and creatures with on death effects. Having an indestructible blocker is fun. Him being so easy to cast is also nice.

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
I got a pre-con set of Outlaws from friends for my birthday and I got lucky with the booster packs: I got Oko in his wanted poster design!

Oct 29, 2017
USA
We claimed a bunch of packs with our prerelease winnings to give to my nephew to open. It was at SCG Con so we won tickets to use at a prize wall. Among what we chose were two OTJ collector boosters.

I just found out he got a foil Lotus Ring with extended art. Lucky little bastard.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I got a pre-con set of Outlaws from friends for my birthday and I got lucky with the booster packs: I got Oko in his wanted poster design!
Nice! I've been meaning to start a little macabre collection of banned cards like Oko.

I don't play paper magic, but there is something neat to me about owning some of the most busted cards to ever exist.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Okay yeah Brawl is fun. The more I play the more I see the possibilities. The various commanders. The million different ways to throw an opponent off. Your commander can be your win-con on its own or it can just be the cherry on top of the rest of the deck. You can swing for the fences with a crazy strong commander or you can use a seemingly weak commander in a much grander deck design.

I'm not quite hooked to the point where it replaces Bo1 standard for me, but I can see myself walking down the path of being that hooked. This shit is awesome. As someone who LOVES deck themes and tribal decks this is right up my alley.

I feel you. It's the only reason I own a Tolarian Academy
Its weird right? Something about owning a thing like Oko or whatever that was so busted it had to get sent to hell is just fucking cool to me lol

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird right? Something about owning a thing like Oko or whatever that was so busted it had to get sent to hell is just fucking cool to me lol

Broken Magic is fun. Our group started a little low value ante league, and there is nothing like the experience of playing a Contract from Below. Best card ever printed, a worthy add to your broken card collection!

Last edited:

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Oh sorry I didn't know.

Now that I think about it aren't most of the gods female on that plane?
Oketra, Hazoret, and Bontu are female, Kefnet and Rhonas are male. I don't remember if the 2 color gods were gendered; they were basically mindless zombies controlled by Bolas.

All of the gods except for Hazoret are dead now and she lost an arm.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Oketra, Hazoret, and Bontu are female, Kefnet and Rhonas are male. I don't remember if the 2 color gods were gendered; they were basically mindless zombies controlled by Bolas.

All of the gods except for Hazoret are dead now and she lost an arm.
I always hate when cool lore and characters get wiped out for "story" reasons.

Especially gods in Magic. The whole idea of them and the way they work within the game is awesome. I want more of them. Not less.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017

Especially gods in Magic. The whole idea of them and the way they work within the game is awesome. I want more of them. Not less.

To be fair, the gods were only gods in Theros because people believed in them. Lore-wise it made sense!

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

I'm a big believer in progressing the story in a way that makes sense and sometimes killing characters or permanently changing them is a great tool for this if used properly. Magic has too long been too in love with its own characters to do this effectively. Jace came back like right away after "dying" so... fuck it, bring back the gods.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big believer in progressing the story in a way that makes sense and sometimes killing characters or permanently changing them is a great tool for this if used properly. Magic has too long been too in love with its own characters to do this effectively. Jace came back like right away after "dying" so... fuck it, bring back the gods.
they are really good at killing off groups of my favorite women in the series. As long as they arent main characters. All the innistrad angels and both karlov murders...

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I get it. I think I'm being a bit selfish though by wanting them because I came in with Theros and loved the Gods from that. So I never got to see Amonkhet and the meta surrounding the gods of that set.

I'm also just a huge myths and legends nerd irl. I love the Greek and Norse mythologies. You should have seen my excitement for Khaldheim lol

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
they are really good at killing off groups of my favorite women in the series. As long as they arent main characters. All the innistrad angels and both karlov murders...
Fuck that's a solid point, they do love a good fridging

Yeah I get it. I think I'm being a bit selfish though by wanting them because I came in with Theros and loved the Gods from that. So I never got to see Amonkhet and the meta surrounding the gods of that set.

I'm also just a huge myths and legends nerd irl. I love the Greek and Norse mythologies. You should have seen my excitement for Khaldheim lol
I liked the work they put into the Amonkhet pantheon. I also wish they would have done more with it than feeding them to progress Bolas' plot.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay yeah Brawl is fun. The more I play the more I see the possibilities. The various commanders. The million different ways to throw an opponent off. Your commander can be your win-con on its own or it can just be the cherry on top of the rest of the deck. You can swing for the fences with a crazy strong commander or you can use a seemingly weak commander in a much grander deck design.

I'm not quite hooked to the point where it replaces Bo1 standard for me, but I can see myself walking down the path of being that hooked. This shit is awesome. As someone who LOVES deck themes and tribal decks this is right up my alley.

Its weird right? Something about owning a thing like Oko or whatever that was so busted it had to get sent to hell is just fucking cool to me lol

if you want you can play oko to your heart's content in timeless on arena right now

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
All dailies and weeklies get reset with new release tomorrow. Definitely complete all of your daily quests as they will get wiped out and reset with 3 new ones tomorrow. Weekly wins get reset too but I don't think they really matter, as they're just XP.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
By the way I made a colorless Traxos deck because I've always wanted to play a true colorless deck but it's never been available in standard since I started playing. Had a blast with it.

It's such a weird strat. You just overwhelm them with utility and value. How quickly you can have 6+ mana available is just crazy.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
I'm not sure if quests carry over but everyone gets 3 new ones on set release day anyway.

All dailies and weeklies get reset with new release tomorrow. Definitely complete all of your daily quests as they will get wiped out and reset with 3 new ones tomorrow. Weekly wins get reset too but I don't think they really matter, as they're just XP.

Thank you for correcting me. Somehow I never noticed! Guess I'm grinding dailies today.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Set's up on Arena. As always, be wary of first day glitches, but if you run into them, Wizards is generally pretty good about reimbursing you if you report them.