Where to find previews
Card image gallery
Mechanics
Next set: Bloomburrow
Story archive
Premier events schedule

MTG_Discord_invite_3.png

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Magic: the Gathering is a Trading Card Game, the first of its kind, developed by Richard Garfield and his playtesters for the gaming company Wizards of the Coast in 1993. You and your opponents play the role of dueling planeswalkers, wizards able to travel between dimensions known as planes to gather unique magic. Using customized decks made up of your spells, the creatures you can summon, your mana bonds with lands, and even other planeswalkers you can call in to help out, you try to defeat your foes.

Previously in Magic, the evil Phyrexians invaded all of the known Multiverse and many places we didn't know about. For many planes, this was their first painful experience with other worlds, and even after the Phyrexians were defeated, they left scars everywhere, both mental and on space itself. This has changed the nature of the planeswalker spark and many planeswalkers have discovered they can no longer travel between worlds—to the point that for the next several sets at least, we're only getting one planeswalker card per set! However, portals known as Omenpaths have started appearing, allowing regular people to travel the planes, albeit with significantly less control. This results in a new era of interplanar interaction.

People traveled through the Omenpaths out of hope to find a better life, and through some cosmic coincidence, a great many of them found themselves on an uninhabited desert plane. This plane gained the name Thunder Junction and quickly became a hub of interplanar commerce. The de facto primary power is the Sterling Company and its army of enforcers, but the real power on the plane lies with the outlaws. And the outlaws that all outlaws fear are the Hellspurs, led by the dragon Akul.

Thunder Junction may have been uninhabited before the Omenpaths opened, but there are plenty of mysteries, the biggest of which is the floating vault Maag Taranau, said to contain treasures as old or older than the age of the Thran. The Hellspurs and Sterling Company race to collect the keys to open it, but there's another faction: the trickster planeswalker Oko is bringing together a band of villains from across the Multiverse to steal the keys and open the vault himself. However, even Oko is caught off guard when his son, Kellan, finally catches up to him. Hesitantly bringing the half-fae into the fold, he launches the greatest heist the plane has ever seen.

Outlaws of Thunder Junction has a western flavor with a theme of being an outlaw. Villains from all across the Multiverse have gathered, including many familiar faces, and the mechanics encourage you to become a criminal too.

This set will have four tie-in Commander decks.

Draft and Set Boosters are no longer sold. Instead there are new Play Boosters, which have the benefits (and price) of Set Boosters but they are designed to be used in drafts.

Previews start on March 26 at 9 AM PDT.

The following sets will be legal in Standard
  • Innistrad: Midnight Hunt
  • Innistrad: Crimson Vow
  • Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty
  • Streets of New Capenna
  • Dominaria United
  • The Brothers' War
  • Phyrexia: All Will Be One
  • March of the Machine
  • March of the Machine: Aftermath
  • Wilds of Eldraine
  • The Lost Caverns of Ixalan
  • Murders at Karlov Manor
  • Outlaws of Thunder Junction
The following cards are banned in Standard
Yes, you read right. That's the most sets to ever be in Standard at once, and that's because there was no rotation last year! Standard will now be three years long rather than two, and as such, there won't be a rotation until the next Standard set, when Bloomburrow releases. At that point, Dominaria United will be the oldest set in Standard.

GETTING STARTED
Official guide to starting Magic

For the digital card game, you can play Magic Arena potentially for free. It has its own thread.

For the physical card game, there are many ways to get on board. If you go to a local game store (LGS), the owner will give you a simple Welcome Deck for free, after demonstrating how to play the game. This set has four 100-card Commander decks that are meant to serve as introductions, though note that these cards can't be used for most formats outside of Commander, a casual multiplayer format.

The big thing to look forward to, however, is the Prerelease event.
Find local game stores here.

qk0tx3i96sjj.png

SET DETAILS
Prerelease Date:
April 12–18, 2024
Arena Release Date: April 16, 2024
Paper Release Date: April 19, 2024
Card image gallery
Mechanics

Outlaws

en_3af7ce9dcf.png
en_1f34dcf0a9.png

Thunder Junction is a world of outlaws. Five different creature types count as outlaws: assassins, mercenaries, pirates, rogues, and warlocks. You can find these creature types all throughout the set, and on tokens like the red Mercenary creature token. Spells can care about outlaws both when their on the battlefield and as cards.

Commit a crime

en_a2fb2ebc3d.png
en_7497ff8cf9.png
en_004f2494eb.png

To be a criminal, you have to commit a crime. You commit a crime by doing anything that targets your opponent, a spell or permanent an opponent controls, or a card in an opponent's graveyard. In short, anything that is or belongs to an opponent. Destroy target creature? That's a crime. Target player reveals their hand? That's a crime. Counter target spell? That's a crime. Destroy all creatures? Not a crime, perfectly legal.

No cards punish you for committing crimes in this set, and several reward you.

Spree

en_7ef8009eb9.png
en_c7567eed03.png

To be a good outlaw, you can't settle for good enough. With spree, you can keep adding more to your spell, paying more for more each mode. You must choose at least one mode to cast the spell.

Saddle

en_67194f5ee6.png
en_4f100b0408.png
en_bf8216d80f.png

Thunder Junction is a big place, and it's important to saddle up with a mount. Mounts are creatures that can attack fine on their own, but if you tap creatures with the total designated saddle power (think crew on vehicles) they can get extra abilities. As shown with the Gitrog, saddling a mount may not turn out well for the rider.

Plot

en_0096263604.png
en_7acd069ba7.png
en_ff5dbc55ba.png

Finding success as an outlaw requires being able to plan out your moves. Cards with plot allow you to exile them for the designated cost and then cast them for free on a later turn whenever you could cast a sorcery. That free part is important, because it means you're able to cast other spells the same turn you cast the plotted spell. Spells without plot can still be plotted by outside sources.

Breaking News

en_199a7c825a.png
en_45e3b2bc09.png

Breaking News! The Prosperity Post is ready to report all crime on Thunder Junction! Every booster pack contains a Breaking News reprint that doesn't go into Standard but will play a major role in Limited. All of these cards allow you to commit a crime (note that Crime is a crime, but Punishment isn't).

Also, Prosperity isn't the card name.

Special Guests

en_a4b6fe84bf.png
en_866d2230fe.png
en_e071a6a338.png

Special Guests is a set of ten reprints found at a low rate in sets. They don't go into Standard, but they can still play a role in Limited.

The Big Score

en_2ffdd7aa15.png
en_656ba9b62c.png
en_aa58893dbe.png

The vault is open, and it's full of treasures. The Big Score was originally meant to be a separate set, but after March of the Machine: Aftermath flopped badly, it was pulled into the main Outlaws of Thunder Junction set. This is a Standard-legal sub-set of 30 mythic rare artifacts and things that make or care about artifacts. They can be found in booster packs at a comparable rate to the normal mythic rares.

OTHER THREADS
Murders at Karlov Manor
The Lost Caverns of Ixalan
Wilds of Eldraine
The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earth
March of the Machine
Phyrexia: All Will Be One
The Brothers' War
Dominaria United
Streets of New Capenna
Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty
Innistrad: Crimson Vow
Innistrad: Midnight Hunt
Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms
Strixhaven: School of Mages
Kaldheim
Zendikar Rising
Core Set 2021
Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths
Theros: Beyond Death
Throne of Eldraine
Core Set 2020
War of the Spark
Ravnica Allegiance
Guilds of Ravnica
Core Set 2019
Dominaria
Arena on Gaming side
Arena Closed Beta on Gaming side
Rivals of Ixalan
Great Designer Search 3
First Hangouts OT
http://www.**********/forum/showthread.php?t=1424890 - Last GAF thread - Ixalan

RESOURCES
Official articles - Nicknamed the Mothership, these articles are the primary source of news. Regular columns are Making Magic, written by the head designer, Mark Rosewater (aka MaRo); and Magic Story, which tells the story, written by various authors. Other articles are used for card previews.
Blogatog - Tumblr ran by Mark Rosewater where he answers questions, updates very frequently.
Drive to Work - Mark Rosewater's weekly podcast about Magic that he literally records as he drives to work. Two episodes are released every Friday.
Gatherer - The official method of searching through released cards.
Scryfall - The better search method, with bigger cards.
Game store locator

oi51t43mifol.png

Last edited:

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Its really confusing to have 2 different subsets of cards where 1 is legal in Standard and the other is not.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Looking forward to it! My second new release & first prerelease event! I look forward to flubbing that cus I only know how to play Commander hahaha

pioneer

May 31, 2022
Its really confusing to have 2 different subsets of cards where 1 is legal in Standard and the other is not.
Yeah… I mean they've been doing the not standard legal bonus sheets for several years now. To me the weird thing is that they rolled the standard legal one into the main set but kept the separate set symbol. Not sure why they would do that, seems like it will only add to the confusion.

Day 1 reveals - Tuesday

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
ccjhxp31ymqc1.webp

te9q6yqxymqc1.webp

image0.jpg

Judging by the arena promos, were getting a full cycle of "X joins up" enchantments. Seems like they're a take off of the old Planeswalker Oath enchantments, but they care about legendary creatures instead.

Last edited:

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah… I mean they've been doing the not standard legal bonus sheets for several years now. To me the weird thing is that they rolled the standard legal one into the main set but kept the separate set symbol. Not sure why they would do that, seems like it will only add to the confusion.
Given that it was originally supposed to be a separate set like Aftermath, I imagine development was mostly complete before they decided to make the switch to have it all together. Probably forced their hand a bit.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
There's really a location on the plane named Tarnation? Wow, lol.

Insatiable Avarice is interesting design, tutors generally aren't worth playing in Limited, it's a cool way to make it viable in more formats.

It might end up ONLY being viable in Limited, three mana for a sorcery speed Vampiric Tutor is pretty rough for Commander.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
ccjhxp31ymqc1.webp

te9q6yqxymqc1.webp

image0.jpg

Judging by the arena promos, were getting a full cycle of "X joins up" enchantments. Seems like they're a take off of the old Planeswalker Oath enchantments, but they care about legendary creatures instead.

Gonna need a few copies of Insatiable Avarice, that is a solid card for Commander. Can trigger "when you/opponent draw" and "when x draws their xth card" effects in Dimir or just as an extra (slow) Vampiric Tutor.

And, really, 5 mana and three life isn't horrible for a card of your choosing and two more in a sac deck that generates tons of mana.

Last edited:

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
The deathtouch is kinda whatever for commander, but especially for something like Kethis, that (potentially multiple) card draw from combat damage seems...potentially quite good.

Curious to see how good the rest (if there are any) will be, or if we continue to get more 'legend matters' cards.

Too bad the sword's second half wants you to be playing your own instant/sorcery doubling deck - even then, it's still pretty crazy strong commander protection (especially for any voltron/equipment-matters deck), especially with the treasure generation on top.

pioneer

May 31, 2022
Have I missed where they explained exactly how saddle works, or are we still waiting on that?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Have I missed where they explained exactly how saddle works, or are we still waiting on that?
These cards are coming from places that jumped the gun. We technically aren't supposed to know that saddle exists yet, lol.

Anyway, here's an article talking about today's stream that went up before the stream.
www.goonhammer.com

First Looks at Magic: the Gathering’s Outlaws of Thunder Junction

Howdy Partner! Y’all here from one of them Omenpaths? Dangerous folks have been moseying on in from out of town through those portals from all sorts of planes. Word is there’s a big heist going dow…

There are some obvious gaps like not showing any Big Score cards, so there's still a reason to watch the stream in 34 minutes.

laikalot

May 30, 2020
Per the too early article Mana Drain is one of the bonus sheet cards, which means Timeless is getting a card that is only legal in Vintage. Wonder if they'll restrict it from the jump.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
These cards are coming from places that jumped the gun. We technically aren't supposed to know that saddle exists yet, lol.

Anyway, here's an article talking about today's stream that went up before the stream.
www.goonhammer.com

First Looks at Magic: the Gathering’s Outlaws of Thunder Junction

Howdy Partner! Y’all here from one of them Omenpaths? Dangerous folks have been moseying on in from out of town through those portals from all sorts of planes. Word is there’s a big heist going dow…

There are some obvious gaps like not showing any Big Score cards, so there's still a reason to watch the stream in 34 minutes.

OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII NEW GISA??? I'll need to review my zombie deck, I don't know if I have enough cards that commit crimes to make her effect worth it. Giving all zoms +1/+1 and Meance is pretty solid tho.

Pierogi Mage

One Winged Slayer
Dec 7, 2017
OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII NEW GISA??? I'll need to review my zombie deck, I don't know if I have enough cards that commit crimes to make her effect worth it. Giving all zoms +1/+1 and Meance is pretty solid tho.
Commiting crimes is easy. All decks should be able to commit a bunch of crimes in commander. Too many people dont run enough interaction

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Jace-Reawakened-Full-Art2-1536x768.jpg

The second ability can do a lot, especially if you cheat this out early. Including our old favorite mana cheating buddy,

ea7e4c65-b4c4-4795-9475-3cba71c50ea5.jpg
ea7e4c65-b4c4-4795-9475-3cba71c50ea5.jpg

Since once a card is plotted, you can cast presumably any side for free.

Plot also carries major implications against control decks. Imagine attacking with two creatures on the board and five haste creatures plotted while your opponent has a Sunfall burning in their hand.

pioneer

May 31, 2022
I'm not opposed to alt frames in general but the wanted poster and newspaper ones are hideous IMO. Didn't like case files either.

Deadman

Oct 29, 2017
White got an instant speed wrath. Good because standard doesnt have enough boardwipes at the moment.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
How does this work with something like Cascade
Its mana value is one. If you hit one with Cascade you can choose to pay the additional costs to get the Spree effects. You can always pay additional costs with Cascade (or other "cast a spell for free" effects). You can't pay alternate costs, which is why you can't, for example, overload a Cyclonic Rift if you hit one with Cascade.

White got an instant speed wrath. Good because standard doesnt have enough boardwipes at the moment.

Oh, wow, I just glanced at that card and was underwhelmed, I totally missed that it's an instant.

White got a better Cyclonic Rift basically

How is it better than Cyc Rift?

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
It's not, I misread it. Also thanks for the explanation on Cascade.

No problem!

I wonder if the Warren Warleader token from Bloomburrow that got leaked through that Beadle and Grimm's token bundle has the same "when ~ dies create a token copy of it" ability that Vaultborn Tyrant has. That would explain why it has a mana value.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No problem!

I wonder if the Warren Warleader token from Bloomburrow that got leaked through that Beadle and Grimm's token bundle has the same "when ~ dies create a token copy of it" ability that Vaultborn Tyrant has. That would explain why it has a mana value.
I find myself hoping it's IRL conjure

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Face commanders. They appear to be full art now in the precons. They also appear to be non-foil.

oliviaopulentoutlaw.jpg

fvm5e7pddpqc1.png

rmgjb8j7dpqc1.png

dggonup3dpqc1.png

Stella Lee is completely busted and will be shockingly easy to generate infinite storm with.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Holy Cow, this is pretty great. Reminds me of Inspiring Overseer & Priest of Ancient Lore, which did really well in Limited.

gzqg1c3pjpqc1.png

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
www.youtube.com

Welcome to the Outlaw's Paradise | Outlaws of Thunder Junction Debut | Magic: The Gathering

Welcome to the land of opportunity... for Crimes! Explore Magic: The Gathering's newest plane with its all new criminally fun mechanics, fancy new showcase t...

magic.wizards.com

Collecting Outlaws of Thunder Junction

Learn all about Breaking News, The Big Score, and the other amazing loot in store from Outlaws of Thunder Junction, releasing worldwide April 19, 2024.

Funnily enough, with The Big Score cards being in 3/20 packs, they're actually less rare than normal mythic rares, so all the worrying about super mythics was for naught.

magic.wizards.com

Outlaws of Thunder Junction Mechanics

A brand-new set, Outlaws of Thunder Junction, is blowing into town, full of outlaws plotting crime sprees. So, saddle your mounts and chase those bounties, because there's booty in them thar decks!

en_3af7ce9dcf.png
en_7497ff8cf9.png

Rakish Crew doesn't seem great alone, but it might be a good build around in Limited.
Gisa seems pretty fun. Note this triggers off of removal.

en_c7567eed03.png
en_67194f5ee6.png

Instant wrath for 6 is pretty great, and it has upsides on top of that. However, I prefer this over Sunfall or Settle the Wreckage.
Trained Arynx seems alright for Limited, though Saddle 1 would have helped a lot compared to 2.

en_bf8216d80f.png
en_0096263604.png

Gitrog is pretty fun, and already solid as a 6/5 trample haste for 5.
Got a strictly better Concentrate.

en_ff5dbc55ba.png

Allowing you to cast one of the cards for free (on your next turn) makes this really nice.

The Commander decks come with a new minigame
en_1CjbiXcl2e.png
en_dffb65b5b7.png

en_626d4b1d10.png
en_2a29922f8a.png

You reveal the top card of the bounty deck. Each turn the bounty condition isn't met, the bounty reward goes up.

Card dump next post.

hypertails

Oct 25, 2017
I know he's a mythic on the bonus sheet so he's not exactly going to be seen a ton, but why the hell would you reprint ELD Oko into a limited environment.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
I know he's a mythic on the bonus sheet so he's not exactly going to be seen a ton, but why the hell would you reprint ELD Oko into a limited environment.

Yeah. That card was fucking awful and ruined every game he was played. It's a huge mistake to include him in anything short of a masters set.