KevdotL

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeTWiC0tzvQ

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/disney-plus-korean-originals-slate-2024-1235829335/

Light Shop
An adaptation of the hit webtoon of the same name, Light Shop follows a group of strangers, each struggling to come to terms with a traumatic event in their past. Going about their daily lives, each individual is mysteriously drawn to a light shop that sits at the end of a seedy alleyway. Guarded by a vigilant shopkeeper, the light shop could hold the key to the strangers' pasts, presents and futures. Starring Ju Jihoon (Kingdom), Lee Jungeun (Parasite), Park Boyung (Oh My Ghost), and Bae Seongwoo (Veteran), this is the latest series from Kang Full, the creator behind 2023's breakout hit series Moving, Disney's most-watched Korean original to date. Light Shop exists within the same storytelling universe as Moving, making the titles the start of a new Korean franchise for Disney

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think what you're trying to ask is "will it get more interesting for you" rather than "does it get better". Because the answer to "does it get better?" Is yes. It's objectively one of the best written Korean shows out there. But that is also the case 5 episodes in.

Will it get more interesting for you though? No, it won't. If the concept doesn't appeal to you now then that's not going to change, so I would just stop there. Not every show is going to be for everyone at the end of the day.

Still my favorite Kdrama ever. It's perfect, it has everything.

Anyway, guess I'm the only one here who enjoyed Sweet Home S2 lmao
I may actually prefer it to S1 (which I enjoyed a lot).

It just gives off strong 90s post-apocalyptic anime vibes, and I'm a sucker for that.

Can't wait for S3.

I ended up binging through the 2 seasons in the past couple of weeks.
I absolutely loved it. I still stand by it starting out pretty meh. There's nothing really in the first episode that gets you hooked, seemed rather generic, but once it started going
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fa49db6fe-68f8-4ed5-93df-f7c88760f6de_498x373.gif

Hwang was such a great character, as were the majority of the cast but God damn. I have a void in my life now. I need more shows like this!
S3 please hurry up

Started watching flower of evil as per recommended in this thread, just like stranger, first episode did nothing for me, then it started getting interesting. Really enjoying it now.

Alkez

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up binging through the 2 seasons in the past couple of weeks.
I absolutely loved it. I still stand by it starting out pretty meh. There's nothing really in the first episode that gets you hooked, seemed rather generic, but once it started going
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fa49db6fe-68f8-4ed5-93df-f7c88760f6de_498x373.gif

Hwang was such a great character, as were the majority of the cast but God damn. I have a void in my life now. I need more shows like this!
S3 please hurry up

Started watching flower of evil as per recommended in this thread, just like stranger, first episode did nothing for me, then it started getting interesting. Really enjoying it now.
Ah I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, I don't think there's anything particularly unique about the premise. It just does it extremely well/arguably (and imo) better than everything else.

I really liked Flower of Evil. It's melodrama city, but the kind of melodrama I very much enjoy haha.

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
Hi everyone, thanks for recommending "Flower of Evil". It should be more popular. I'm on episode 12 and really enjoying it so far. I hope the ending is good.

I need to watch more of these Korean series on Netflix. Lots of interesting productions and the performances are great. I also liked "Bloodhounds". I still haven't decided what to watch next once I finish FoE.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I have found my people, hello!

Yesterday I finished my 22nd k-drama, Healer. I wasn't sure about it at first, but ended up liking it a lot. I felt the last episode was rushed, and not very satisfying after investing so much time into this series. I still give it an 8.

After such a long series, 20 episodes, I feel like picking something shorter next so I'm looking at Soundtrack #1, only 4 episodes.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Have watched a few movies this past week.

Forgotten - saw this last night and wow. I was glued to the screen the entire time, love movies that take me for a ride, did not expect the twists and turns at all. 4.5/5

Ballerina - main actress was great and badass. A nice and simple John wick'esque revenge flick. The best thing about it was definitely the visuals, some really sick as visuals. 4/5

Night in paradise - cool mob flick. Looks great, acting is great, dug tae-goo and jae-yeons relationship. Poor tae-goo though, he went through so much shit... 4/5

Alkez

Oct 25, 2017
Have watched a few movies this past week.

Forgotten - saw this last night and wow. I was glued to the screen the entire time, love movies that take me for a ride, did not expect the twists and turns at all. 4.5/5

Ballerina - main actress was great and badass. A nice and simple John wick'esque revenge flick. The best thing about it was definitely the visuals, some really sick as visuals. 4/5

Night in paradise - cool mob flick. Looks great, acting is great, dug tae-goo and jae-yeons relationship. Poor tae-goo though, he went through so much shit... 4/5
Dude, Forgotten is so good just for the surprise factor! That shit had me on the edge of my seat.

I think Night In Paradise has one of my favourite endings to a movie ever. I just felt so satisfied with the diner scene after everything that happened.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Dude, Forgotten is so good just for the surprise factor! That shit had me on the edge of my seat.

I think Night In Paradise has one of my favourite endings to a movie ever. I just felt so satisfied with the diner scene after everything that happened.
I thought it was going to have a crap ending due to the scene prior. I'm like NO WAY that slimey asshole gets away with it and then she shows up and locks the diner door and I'm like
yep.gif

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Wife and i watched uncontrollably fond and holy shit i'm not usually someone to cry but this drama got me hard. Some incredible acting from the cast especially Kim Woo Bin.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My wife & I finished Sisyphus and really liked it. The time travel element probably had a bunch of plot holes, but the leads were fun, the twists were interesting, and there was some great action in most episodes. Also, some great post-apocalyptic future scenes which make me want a videogame adaptation. If you liked Alhambra, you'll probably like this too.

And then we went on to Dr. Slump. Pretty standard rom-com setup except the male lead is accused of medical malpractice & the female lead is depressed from burn out and workplace abuse. The two leads are both totally adorable so you pretty much know what you're getting here.

Looking forward to Chicken Nugget (March 15).

Favorite Asian drama is from Taiwan and it's called Bromance. Woman has to pretend to be a boy, runs into the good-natured heir to a triad organization who owns an amusement park, and hijinks ensue. Comedy, action, melodrama, a great soundtrack, it's got it all.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Gonna watch last 3 episodes of Twinkling Watermelon tonight, unless they are amazing I just can't see how this drama is number 1 on MDL. It's just ok. Way overrated. But I felt the same about the previous number 1 which was Move To Heaven.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna watch last 3 episodes of Twinkling Watermelon tonight, unless they are amazing I just can't see how this drama is number 1 on MDL. It's just ok. Way overrated. But I felt the same about the previous number 1 which was Move To Heaven.

It certainly isn't for everyone. If you can't connect with the characters enough then much of it just falls flat. Either you are moved by things happening or you aren't.

Its high rating on MDL...I have no words for it lol. Should be much lower but that can be said about a lot of stuff on there.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Has anyone else had trouble watching these shows, the ones I've run into are all on Disney+, that only have an English CC subtitle track? It includes all kinds of distracting notations like "ominous music" or "loud footsteps" instead of just the dialogue. I find it very distracting. I think on Netflix they typically provide the CC track separately from a plain English track. I have managed to watch Revenant like this, but it was really bugging me the whole way through. I went to start Soundtrack #1 yesterday and noticed it was like this, it made me give up on the show for now because I didn't want to deal with it.

Is this something you can just get used to?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else had trouble watching these shows, the ones I've run into are all on Disney+, that only have an English CC subtitle track? It includes all kinds of distracting notations like "ominous music" or "loud footsteps" instead of just the dialogue. I find it very distracting. I think on Netflix they typically provide the CC track separately from a plain English track. I have managed to watch Revenant like this, but it was really bugging me the whole way through. I went to start Soundtrack #1 yesterday and noticed it was like this, it made me give up on the show for now because I didn't want to deal with it.

Personally I try to be amused by it. Sometimes the captions are such a mismatch that it ends up funny. I notice though. Or if the subtitle timing is off, that's not pleasant either.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Personally I try to be amused by it. Sometimes the captions are such a mismatch that it ends up funny. I notice though. Or if the subtitle timing is off, that's not pleasant either.
Maybe for some people they only look down at the subtitles when they hear dialogue, and ignore the rest. But for me, any time I catch a subtitle out of the corner of my eye my brain is trained to look down and read it. I was wondering if I need to train myself to only look down when there was dialogue spoken. I tried this a bit when watching Revenant, but it didn't work too well. Maybe I need more practice. I am glad there is CC for the people who need it, deaf people or hard of hearing, but I think there should be a second option for people who can hear but just don't understand the spoken language. I think Disney does not expect English speakers to listen to the foreign audio track, just the English dub.

Anyway, there are a couple of series on Disney+ that I want to watch, so I'll probably try to get used to this or get better at ignoring the non-dialogue captions.

I was watching a short film recently where the subtitles were 5 seconds late, but luckily my TV had a setting to adjust it so they could be in sync.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Yeah, we're watching Flex Cop on Hulu and it's horrible, it has subtitle but also closed captioning so it spells out everything.

Also it has these random breaks where it looks like there should be commerical breaks. Its not a good experience

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
It certainly isn't for everyone. If you can't connect with the characters enough then much of it just falls flat. Either you are moved by things happening or you aren't.

Its high rating on MDL...I have no words for it lol. Should be much lower but that can be said about a lot of stuff on there.

Yea I finished it and it's just not that good at all. Oh well, happy it's over lol. Since I have viki for the month I'm finally gonna watch Mouse next.

Yea I hate this too about Disney+, all these language options and no normal English subs is so weird. It's very distracting. What country are you in that you can watch Revenant btw? And do you have Dr Romantic 3 on Disney+?

I'm in EU (Netherlands) and both of those are missing for me and I really want to watch those 2.

Wish all of these dramas were just on Netflix. It works the best and has the best availability. Disney+ is ok but has CC and no info on releases and not world wide releases. Viki UI is terrible, subs are terrible looking, video quality is abysmal. Netflix is really king for Kdramas.

JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars
Netflix is really king for Kdramas.
Yep, oh that reminds me, need to finish Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha so I can finally watch A Business Proposal : D Got distracted by JoJo SE4 and HyeMiLeeYeChaePa

Hometown Cha Cha is brilliant btw,. I think it's the first show I watched where, even though the focus is naturally on the 2 main characters (which both are lovely and especially Shin Min Ah is absolutely brilliant in her role) you have tons of side stories and basically all characters on the island have some kind of interesting backstory. It's like the Yakuza of Kdramas in that sense.

Last edited:

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Yep, oh that reminds me, need to finish Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha so I can finally watch A Business Proposal : D Got distracted by JoJo SE4 and HyeMiLeeYeChaePa

Hometown Cha Cha is brilliant btw,. I think it's the first show I watched where, even though the focus is naturally on the 2 main characters (which both are lovely and especially Shin Min Ah is absolutely brilliant in her role) you have tons of side stories and basically all characters on the island have some kind of interesting backstory. It's like the Yakuza of Kdramas in that sense.

Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha is amazing yea, just such a comfy cozy feeling. I was hoping Welcome To Samdal-Ri had the same but it fell a bit short. Business Proposal is hilarious.

They recently mentioned HyeMiLeeYeChaePa season 2 being far off most likely because it's hard to match the schedules, but every member wants to do it so hopefully end of the year if possible.

barbarash22

Oct 19, 2019
Finished first 3 episodes of Twinkling Watermelon last night and I was kinda bored. Does it get any better? I felt the first couple of episodes are really all about the setup so I hope it gets better soon.

I asked the same question here a while ago and no one answered.
I made it to the middle of episode 5 until I gave up and and at least to this point, no it doesnt.
It got even more boring.
Very little content/story progress in each episode for it's runtime and what's there is quite predictable.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Started Mouse and it's super good so far. There are some special episodes or something, I checked the release dates and they seem to have come out during the drama. Should I watch them during or is it fine to skip or do it after?

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Yea I finished it and it's just not that good at all. Oh well, happy it's over lol. Since I have viki for the month I'm finally gonna watch Mouse next.

Yea I hate this too about Disney+, all these language options and no normal English subs is so weird. It's very distracting. What country are you in that you can watch Revenant btw? And do you have Dr Romantic 3 on Disney+?

I'm in EU (Netherlands) and both of those are missing for me and I really want to watch those 2.

Wish all of these dramas were just on Netflix. It works the best and has the best availability. Disney+ is ok but has CC and no info on releases and not world wide releases. Viki UI is terrible, subs are terrible looking, video quality is abysmal. Netflix is really king for Kdramas.
I am in Canada. We have a section in the D+ app called Star that has some non-Disney content. Some HULU stuff and some Fox/FX stuff is in there. I will check on Dr Romantic for you next time.

I watch most of my dramas on Netflix. I noticed that some of the ones I want to see are on Tubi, I made an account since it's free but haven't really tried it out yet.

Hometown Cha Cha Cha is one of the earlier dramas I watched, and I really liked it. I think it probably has the best supporting cast of almost anything I've seen. I enjoyed seeing the cafe owner again when I watched Healer just recently.

They do have Dr Romantic s3, but no other seasons.

Last edited:

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Finished Death's game yesterday. I really liked the first couple of episodes. Last 2 episodes however not so much.

The way this show handles suicide is problematic at best and straight out insulting at worst.

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
I finished "Flower of Evil" last night. Seriously, 10/10.
"Like a Dragon" is my favorite game franchise, so I would say, yeah, I like "melodrama". Lee Joon-gi is amazing, isn't he? The entire cast was really good.

I need to watch it then.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I am in Canada. We have a section in the D+ app called Star that has some non-Disney content. Some HULU stuff and some Fox/FX stuff is in there. I will check on Dr Romantic for you next time.

I watch most of my dramas on Netflix. I noticed that some of the ones I want to see are on Tubi, I made an account since it's free but haven't really tried it out yet.

They do have Dr Romantic s3, but no other seasons.

Yea in EU everything is just build into Disney+ under Star as well. It has a lot of Korean stuff now but missing Revenant and Dr Romantic. I watched first 2 Dr Romantic seasons on Netflix so very annoying it's not out here.

JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars
Finished Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha, and even though I'm (unfortunately) a really nitpicky person, there's not a single thing I didn't like about this show. Was a bit sceptic at first if a drama with such a nice lead could be interesting over 16 episodes, but man was I wrong. Really bad at writing reviews, and with words generally, so if anyone is interested check the reviews at MDL. Plus I gushed about this show more than enough already ^^

Many many thanks Grzi for the recommendation!

Next up is probably A Business Proposal with the lovely Kim Sejeong.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha, and even though I'm (unfortunately) a really nitpicky person, there's not a single thing I didn't like about this show. Was a bit sceptic at first if a drama with such a nice lead could be interesting over 16 episodes, but man was I wrong. Really bad at writing reviews, and with words generally, so if anyone is interested check the reviews at MDL. Plus I gushed about this show more than enough already ^^

Many many thanks Grzi for the recommendation!

Next up is probably A Business Proposal with the lovely Kim Sejeong.

Glad you enjoyed it :' )

I've been recommending Hometown Cha-cha-cha to basically everyone I know, and those who watched it all loved it.

It really is a special show, even thought it might seem generic at first.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I think a somewhat similar show to Hometown Cha Cha Cha was Summer Strike, if anyone is interested in something like that. It was great also.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Finished the last 3 episodes of flower of evil tonight.

Overall I enjoyed the show

Very good.

Some censorship is just really weird though. Near the end of the last episode it pans through their house and some teddy bears are blurred out and nothing else lol

What to watch next..... I have so many Korean shows in my list 😖

Through the darkness
Beyond evil
Somebody
Little woman
The glory
Mine
Awaken
Vincenzo
A killer paradox
Vagabond
Extra curricular
Bloodhounds
Cafe minamdang
Tomorrow
Divorce attorney shin (mainly because of cho seung woo lol)
Sisyphus (same reason as above lol)
The cursed (leaving Netflix soon so probably should watch that)

This isn't even half my list of Korean shows lol

Alkez

Oct 25, 2017

Very good.

Some censorship is just really weird though. Near the end of the last episode it pans through their house and some teddy bears are blurred out and nothing else lol

Through the darkness
Beyond evil
Somebody
Little woman
The glory
Mine
Awaken
Vincenzo
A killer paradox
Vagabond
Extra curricular
Bloodhounds
Cafe minamdang
Tomorrow

I think Beyond Evil is the one that's closest to Flower of Evil in terms of tone and style. I really liked it. Not as much as Flower of Evil personally, but still pretty high on my list in terms of relatively recent dramas.

The Glory I've heard is amazing from everyone I know that's seen it, but I've still yet to watch it myself.

Bloodhounds has, imo, the best fight choreographies of any korean show and it's not even close. It's probably like Bloodhounds > My Name >>> everything else. The story is serviceable enough, but it just feels very satisfying to watch for the fights.

I tried Extracurricular, Vagabond, and Sisyphus. Thought they were all not worth the time personally.

Vincenzo I regret watching. It started off okay and then just got worse and worse as the show went on. I can't think of another show that's declined as hard as it did. I got to the last episode (20) and never finished it. It's been like 3 years at this point and I still don't know how it ends. But it's so far down that I don't think it can be redeemed at this point.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think Beyond Evil is the one that's closest to Flower of Evil in terms of tone and style. I really liked it. Not as much as Flower of Evil personally, but still pretty high on my list in terms of relatively recent dramas.

The Glory I've heard is amazing from everyone I know that's seen it, but I've still yet to watch it myself.

Bloodhounds has, imo, the best fight choreographies of any korean show and it's not even close. It's probably like Bloodhounds > My Name >>> everything else. The story is serviceable enough, but it just feels very satisfying to watch for the fights.

I tried Extracurricular, Vagabond, and Sisyphus. Thought they were all not worth the time personally.

Vincenzo I regret watching. It started off okay and then just got worse and worse as the show went on. I can't think of another show that's declined as hard as it did. I got to the last episode (20) and never finished it. It's been like 3 years at this point and I still don't know how it ends. But it's so far down that I don't think it can be redeemed at this point.
Damn, tell us how you really feel about Vincenzo lol :p maybe I'll park that one for a bit 😅

I might watch the cursed first as it's leaving Netflix soon then dive into beyond evil. I really love my Korean crime dramas, good to hear the tones somewhat similar to FoE😬😬

Ssyem

Banned
Mar 15, 2022
Been out of touch with what's new in Kdrama after I left Korea last summer and moved home. My Korean language skills are faltering so should include more of it in my media diet.

What's new and good?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Very good.

Through the darkness
Beyond evil
Somebody
Little woman
The glory
Mine
Awaken
Vincenzo
A killer paradox
Vagabond
Extra curricular
Bloodhounds
Cafe minamdang
Tomorrow

Really liked Vincenzo! Bloodhounds was good early, but it had issues at the end (casting issues)
Have you seen crazy and bad?

Alkez

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, tell us how you really feel about Vincenzo lol :p maybe I'll park that one for a bit 😅

I might watch the cursed first as it's leaving Netflix soon then dive into beyond evil. I really love my Korean crime dramas, good to hear the tones somewhat similar to FoE😬😬
Hahaha. It's probably because I really liked it at the start so it's rapid decline was frustrating to watch. The short of it is the stakes are never real. It leaves you with a feeling of "what was even the point of this?"

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Been out of touch with what's new in Kdrama after I left Korea last summer and moved home. My Korean language skills are faltering so should include more of it in my media diet.

What's new and good?
I haven't seen a lot of more recent things, but the two that I did see were really good. Castaway Diva and Welcome to Samdal-ri. Looking at my watched list, other 2023 dramas that were good are See you in my 19th life, Revenant, and A Time Called You.

Alkez

Oct 25, 2017
It's also on the UK one, so it's most likely a regional issue.

It's one of the 200 things on my Netflix list lol.

Carlquincy

Jul 25, 2022

Very good.

Through the darkness
Beyond evil
Somebody
Little woman
The glory
Mine
Awaken
Vincenzo
A killer paradox
Vagabond
Extra curricular
Bloodhounds
Cafe minamdang
Tomorrow

Such a long list, yet Mask Girl is nowhere found. Feels bad man...