tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm already thinking of my next trip....

If I want to go to Gifu and Nagano. Is it better in May or in November? Is Nagano worth visiting without the Snow?

Symtendo

Aug 10, 2020
I'm currently sat in a Ryokan in Hakone, having a nice beer after my first ever trip on the Bullet Train, seeing Mount Fuji on the ride and then having an hour and a half in the Onsen and Massage chair on sight. Life is good…

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently sat in a Ryokan in Hakone, having a nice beer after my first ever trip on the Bullet Train, seeing Mount Fuji on the ride and then having an hour and a half in the Onsen and Massage chair on sight. Life is good…
We learned the hard way that you're not actually supposed to stay in the onsen the whole time! My pulse was absolutely racing after about 45 minutes.

Ender

"This guy are sick"
Oct 29, 2017
Any tips for getting the right (if any) rail pass? I checked the JR pass calculator site which said it was not worth it getting the pass for our planned itinerary but would another pass be better for us? Is there a site which can help you suggest a pass according to your itinerary or maybe it would be better to buy the tickets separately?

Here is our plan for 15 days:

Tokyo: 5 days
Hakone : 2 days
Kyoto: 3 days
Nara: daytrip returning to Kyoto
Osaka: 3 days
Tokyo: 3 days

thankful for any suggestions

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for getting the right (if any) rail pass? I checked the JR pass calculator site which said it was not worth it getting the pass for our planned itinerary but would another pass be better for us? Is there a site which can help you suggest a pass according to your itinerary or maybe it would be better to buy the tickets separately?

Unfortunately I think the JR rail pass is usually not worth it any more and the other passes are mostly for other areas than the Kansai / Kanto regions that you are sticking to. You pretty much have to be using it every day for the math to work out.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017

JR passes are not worth it in 95% of cases. Instead buy regional passes as needed. In your case you only really need a shinkansen ticket from Tokyo to Osaka/Kyoto and back. Everything else can be accessed by local trains.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Really is a shame how the JR pass went from a great deal for a lot of trips to almost useless with the price hike.

Not having a konbini to go to is probably the worst thing about being back home again. That and the cold weather. Did miss my bed though.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.

For most of the tourist itineraries, since October last year the JR Pass isn't viable at all, the only exception is like traveling A LOT and too far in between... like for example...

Tokyo -> Aomori -> Osaka -> Hiroshima -> Fukuoka -> Tokyo (that just barely justifies the 14 day pass, btw good luck with that itinerary... xD).

It's miles better just buying the individual tickets. For Shinkansen, SmartEX is the easiest way to reserve tickets.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Busy day today. Grabbing ramen for lunch now. Then Sensi-Jo, taking train down to East Imperial Gardens (should be open, right?). Stroll through Ahikabara then coming back nearby to shop at Kappabashi Kitchen tools street. Nighttime stroll exploring more of Asakusa.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
In your case you only really need a shinkansen ticket from Tokyo to Osaka/Kyoto and back.

Can save some money by flying one way since that's cheaper than taking the shinkansen :p

Tokyo -> Aomori -> Osaka -> Hiroshima -> Fukuoka -> Tokyo (that just barely justifies the 14 day pass, btw good luck with that itinerary... xD).

Even then flying between at least Aomori -> Osaka and Fukuoka -> Tokyo would take less time (and also be cheaper so the calculation would not be in favor of the JR Pass anyway :p)

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
english.kyodonews.net

Delta to scrap connecting flight baggage checks in U.S. from Haneda

Delta Air Lines Inc. will scrap required baggage checks for its passengers from Tokyo's Haneda airport when they take connecting domestic flights in the United States, according to a senior executive.

Delta Air Lines Inc. will scrap required baggage checks for its passengers from Tokyo's Haneda airport when they take connecting domestic flights in the United States, according to a senior executive.

Jeff Moomaw, Delta's vice president for the Asia Pacific region, said in a recent interview that the airline is working out the details of the planned measure in consultation with Japan's transport ministry alongside U.S. authorities, with an eye to introducing the new rule this year at the earliest.

"Anyone who has traveled and connected in the United States knows that it's a difficult experience," Moomaw said. "We will soon be able to remove that part of the experience."

Under existing rules, passengers flying into the United States must check in their baggage again when connecting to local flights, on top of the luggage inspection already made when boarding from Haneda, Japan's busiest airport.

Symtendo

Aug 10, 2020
Does anyone have any tips for
Hassle free airport transfers. We need to be at Tokyo Haneda by 5:30am for our 8:30 flights on Saturday morning. Trains don't start until at least 5am and we are in Shinjuku.

I've been looking at Klook and Booking.com which both seem viable options (but are they reliable?), but is there something else I'm missing?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it three hours before international flights?

Only if it's a crowded day. I usually do a bit over 2 hours. If you're there any sooner than 2 hours depending on the airline they might not even have started check-in yet.

Of course Saturday the 27th will have more travel activity than normal since it's kinda Golden Week, but it shouldn't be as bad as the week after.

Anyway, the first train from Shinjuku station is at 04:43 and if you transfer to the Keikyu train at Shinagawa you can be at the airport at 05:30.

Last edited:

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Falling in love with
Busy day today. Grabbing ramen for lunch now. Then Sensi-Jo, taking train down to East Imperial Gardens (should be open, right?). Stroll through Ahikabara then coming back nearby to shop at Kappabashi Kitchen tools street. Nighttime stroll exploring more of Asakusa.

Got all of this done. Had an amazing sushi dinner in this area.

Absolutely in love with Asakusa, love the vibes here. Had great drinks at Bar Barley.

Not ready to leave. Last full day at a tea house then Skytree, then Pokémon store and whatever else.

Planning on spending an unhealthy amount in Kappabashi tomorrow.

Symtendo

Aug 10, 2020
Only if it's a crowded day. I usually do a bit over 2 hours. If you're there any sooner than 2 hours depending on the airline they might not even have started check-in yet.

Of course Saturday the 27th will have more travel activity than normal since it's kinda Golden Week, but it shouldn't be as bad as the week after.

Anyway, the first train from Shinjuku station is at 04:43 and if you transfer to the Keikyu train at Shinagawa you can be at the airport at 05:30.

Many thanks for this, that should work nicely 🙂

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Leaning towards taking the Keisei Skyliner from Ueno for our flight tomorrow. But we have tons of baggage - 2 big suitcases, smaller roller, duffel, two backpacks. Will this be a pain to get down to whatever track at Ueno, or on the train itself? We'll just cab to Ueno from Asasuka.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Leaning towards taking the Keisei Skyliner from Ueno for our flight tomorrow. But we have tons of baggage - 2 big suitcases, smaller roller, duffel, two backpacks. Will this be a pain to get down to whatever track at Ueno, or on the train itself? We'll just cab to Ueno from Asasuka.

Shouldn't be a problem on the train.

Make sure you go to Keisei-Ueno station and not JR Ueno station :p

Symtendo

Aug 10, 2020
Heads up for any Smash Bros Fans in Tokyo. Nintendo Tokyo have exclusive Smash Bros character Posters on the back wall under the Switch consoles. It's not huge, but it's cool, and I'll be trying to take it home and get it framed as I love that art work.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Falling in love with

Got all of this done. Had an amazing sushi dinner in this area.

Absolutely in love with Asakusa, love the vibes here. Had great drinks at Bar Barley.

Not ready to leave. Last full day at a tea house then Skytree, then Pokémon store and whatever else.

Planning on spending an unhealthy amount in Kappabashi tomorrow.
I'm planning on staying in Asakusa for my next visit! I wasn't sure at first because I like the nightlife of Shinjuku/Shibuya, but I wouldn't mind a different vibe for this trip.

Symtendo

Aug 10, 2020
The best game center in Tokyo is Mikado in Takadanobaba, I haven't been there in a few years but I'm sure they have a few Nintendo arcade games running, they have a classic lineup of games regularly rotated. They have a fully renovated and working Space Harrier and Out Run motion simulator cabinets as well.

Thanks for this tip. Went there this evening.

They had Punch Out and Donkey Kong (but this wasn't working).

Out Run was also out of action and Space Harrier didn't move, but it was a pretty good evening. Worth noting this is now across two shops about 50-100metres away from each other

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020
I echo the Asakusa sentiments.

I usually stay in Takadanobaba when in Tokyo but thought I'd mix it up last time, wandering around Sensoji and the surrounding area at night was really nice, and surprisingly not that busy (albeit in February).
Wandered up the observation point at night and had the whole place to myself at one point. Hotel (Grocery) was literally round the corner to Sensoji too so a really good location.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I usually stay in Asakusa area as well (or Ikebukuro on occasion). It's so chill in that area and pleasant to walk around, day or night.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I echo the Asakusa sentiments.

I usually stay in Takadanobaba when in Tokyo but thought I'd mix it up last time, wandering around Sensoji and the surrounding area at night was really nice, and surprisingly not that busy (albeit in February).
Wandered up the observation point at night and had the whole place to myself at one point. Hotel (Grocery) was literally round the corner to Sensoji too so a really good location.

We did this tonight (walking around Sensoji) as a send off. Magical honestly.

Dreading leaving tomorrow. Spent a small fortune in Kappabashi and might not be done yet - flight doesn't leave until 18:00 or so.

The last two dinners we've had in this area are among the best I've ever had.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Asakusa is pretty chill at night. Can't recommend enough.

Hoppiidoori in Asakusa was a really cool place to be at night, lots of bars with a lot of outside seating. I was there in October and had a good time.

Only issue is during the day Asakusa is ridiculously busy and the stores on the main strip behind Kaminarimon definitely price gouge. If you go away from that to some of the back streets there's some really nice small stores and it's a small walk to Kappadoori as well where they sell all the samples that resturaunts all over Japan pretty much use and loads of kitchenware and knives.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Hoppiidoori in Asakusa was a really cool place to be at night, lots of bars with a lot of outside seating. I was there in October and had a good time.

Only issue is during the day Asakusa is ridiculously busy and the stores on the main strip behind Kaminarimon definitely price gouge. If you go away from that to some of the back streets there's some really nice small stores and it's a small walk to Kappadoori as well where they sell all the samples that resturaunts all over Japan pretty much use and loads of kitchenware and knives.

Yeah, I didn't see much of Asakusa during the day because of the crowd. Pretty much grab a breakfast and go somewhere else.

For my next visit, I'd definitely stay around the area of Asakusa/Ueno again. I still haven't tried the famous Melon-pan in Asakusa. Also note to myself to buy one of the food replica next time.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
Went to ESqUISSE yesterday:

giphy.gif

Symtendo

Aug 10, 2020
We are going to Disney Land Tokyo tomorrow and have two questions:

1) The stated opening time is 9am. Is this the time the park opens, or, does the park open before this like Universal Studios does?

2) Re: scanning in tickets: we are a group of 6, 4 of us are likely to want to do the rides, 2 of us will want to do mostly shows and attractions. How should I set this up in relation to the priority pass.

Can I put them all on my phone and select them? Should we have each on our own individual phones? Or should we split into two groups (4 and 2)? Alternatively, can I log into the app on two devices with my account and manage it this way?

Would be grateful for any advice please.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
We are going to Disney Land Tokyo tomorrow and have two questions

1. They open up at the specified time. You do want to get there early however because there will be crowds outside waiting to get in. If you show up like 10 minutes before opening hours expect to wait around 1 hour in the massive queues to get in. So it's best to be there at the gates 1 hour before opening (or even more if you're really die hard).

2. Best is to split into a group of 4 and 2. Have one group on 1 phone and the other group on some other person in that groups phone.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
english.kyodonews.net

Japan eyes cashless tax refunds to stem illicit resale by tourists

Japan is considering introducing cashless tax refunds for inbound travelers, as part of efforts to prevent them from illicitly earning money by reselling tax-free items before departure.

Japan is considering introducing cashless tax refunds for inbound travelers, as part of efforts to prevent them from illicitly earning money by reselling tax-free items before departure, sources close to the matter said Tuesday.

Under the envisaged system, the government would have foreign travelers pay for products that include the consumption tax, which would be later refunded through a credit card or other cashless format, the sources said.

Cash refunds at airports will remain available, but the government will encourage visitors to receive cashless refunds to avoid congestion at airports, said the sources. It aims to include the details of the system in tax reform plans for fiscal 2025.

Under the planned system, passports would be scanned at airports to allow customs officials to check a traveler's purchase history. Duty-free shops will then be notified if they are carrying the purchased products with them at the time of departure, the sources said. After receiving the notification, the shops would complete the refund.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
www3.nhk.or.jp

Hot temperatures forecast across Japan from May through July | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

Japan's weather officials say temperatures will be higher than average across the country from May through July.

Japan's weather officials say temperatures will be higher than average across the country from May through July.

The Meteorological Agency announced a three-month forecast on Tuesday.

It says warm air will tend to blanket the country during the period as a Pacific high is likely to extend more westward than usual.

The agency expects temperatures at around average or higher in northern Japan, and higher in eastern and western Japan, as well as the Okinawa and Amami regions.

The agency says, depending on other conditions, the mercury may top 30 degrees Celsius even in May and June.

RIP everybody going in the summer :p

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Thanks for this tip. Went there this evening.

They had Punch Out and Donkey Kong (but this wasn't working).

Out Run was also out of action and Space Harrier didn't move, but it was a pretty good evening. Worth noting this is now across two shops about 50-100metres away from each other
Glad you had a good time, too bad the Space Harrier and Out Run machines weren't working properly, I assume they might be having a hard time maintaining them since COVID.
I'll be leaving tomorrow for my fourth trip to Japan. Spending most of my time in Tokyo, but I am doing a few days in Kyoto this time, since I only did one day trip to Fushimi Inari and realized I should've done more days there and taken in more. It's nice to have friends over there that have been messaging me asking when I was returning, feels good to have people looking forward to spending time with you.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Like probably everyone else who's been there I have a shot of that exact tree. Hope the victim gets better soon.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
english.kyodonews.net

Yen drops to 155 range, new 34-yr low against U.S. dollar

The yen weakens to the 155 range against the U.S. dollar in London, hitting a fresh 34-year low, amid expectations the Federal Reserve will keep interest rates elevated for longer than projected.

The yen weakened to the 155 range against the U.S. dollar in London on Wednesday, hitting a fresh 34-year low, amid expectations the Federal Reserve will keep interest rates elevated for longer than projected.

The Japanese currency briefly fell below 155 for the first time since in June 1990.

The Bank of Japan recently hiked interest rates for the first time in 17 years.

While the bank has signaled it will maintain an accommodative stance for the time being, Governor Kazuo Ueda said last week the BOJ will likely raise interest rates if underlying inflation continues to increase, stressing future decisions will be data dependent.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

The planned extension of the Hokkaido Shinkansen bullet train line to Sapporo, the capital of the northernmost prefecture of Hokkaido, will be delayed until after fiscal 2030, it was learned Wednesday.

The Japan Railway Construction, Transport and Technology Agency, or JRTT, has decided to abandon the plan to open the extended section by the end of fiscal 2030, informed sources said. According to the sources, tunnel construction for the section has proven challenging, forcing JRTT to accept a delay. The agency will seek to set a new schedule for the opening.

The Hokkaido Shinkansen section between Shin-Aomori and Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto was opened in March 2016. The section between Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto and Sapporo was originally scheduled to open in fiscal 2035, but the Japanese government and ruling parties agreed in 2015 to advance the extension to fiscal 2030.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

While most Japanese would choke at the high prices of "kaisen-don" seafood rice bowls, the weak yen is whetting the appetites of foreign tourists such as Orr Israeli Dayan and Omer Dayan. On the afternoon of April 17, the couple were enjoying a seafood bowl that costs more than 5,000 yen ($32), which included big fatty tuna "otoro" and salmon, and sushi for about 3,000 yen, at [...] Toyosu Senkyaku Banrai, a commercial facility with more than 50 eateries, opened on Tokyo's waterfront, adjacent to the Toyosu Market.

When the line-ups of expensive menu items were revealed, many Japanese quickly made fun of them on social media, naming them "inbaun-don" (inbound-donburi).

Yukio Takagi, 61, who runs the seafood restaurant Totoya Takagi at Toyosu Senkyaku Banrai, is aware of the inbaun-don criticism from locals. But he said, "I want people to eat (our food) before judging." The restaurant offers more than 10 types of kaisen-don. Of these, 60 percent of foreign customers order the most expensive offering priced at 7,800 yen. Takagi said the eye-watering price tag is justified. "We cut the raw tuna into thick slices and serve arajiru fish soup, too."

Arabica Shokudo opened in late March in Kyoto's Higashiyama Ward. It is a new business operated by a popular coffee shop in Kyoto, Arabica Kyoto. Catering to visitors from around the world, Arabica Shokudo offers a traditional Japanese breakfast for 4,800 yen. The menu consists of one soup and three dishes.

"The dollar equivalent is $31," said Keiichi Kobayashi, 52, the restaurant manager. "Coffee is included, so actually the meal is $26." He explained the pricing, "Because 80 percent of our customers are foreigners, we set our prices for overseas customers."

In the shadow of the inbound boom, Japanese are feeling left out. A 55-year-old male government employee who lives in Tokyo's Shinagawa Ward was at the Toyosu Senkyaku Banrai facility and saw the prices of kaisen-don dishes. He said, "I was like, What the …?! This is an inbound price, isn't it?"

A 70-year-old male dairy farmer who lives in Asakura, Fukuoka Prefecture, came with him. The dairy farmer said, "If we ate the same thing in Fukuoka, the price would not be this high." "But this is Tokyo. We have no choice," the dairy farmer said in resignation. "Kaisen-don is for people from overseas. For us, it is too expensive," he said, while gorging on an 850-yen onigiri rice ball with tuna and avocado, along with a 500-yen beer to wash it down.

Don't be a sucker and pay tourist prices :P

Last edited:

Maebashi

Mar 27, 2022
ANA has posted on LinkedIn - From July 1, Munich and Paris will resume daily operations and starting August 1, we return to Vienna with 3x weekly flights. I've done the Munich leg a few times before the pandemic.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

A tourist base opened [in Fuefuki, Yamanashi Prefecture] on April 25 to lure foreign visitors to a little-known spot high in the mountains that is touted to offer the most spectacular view of nearby Mount Fuji.

Lily Bell Hutte, equipped with a cafe, shop and tourist information center, serves as the gateway to Fujiyama Twin Terrace, which sits on the 1,600-meter-high Shindo Pass. The ridge straddles the city of Fuefuki and the town of Fuji-Kawaguchiko, both in Yamanashi Prefecture.

"Mount Fuji seen from Twin Terrace is the best in Japan," said Masakatsu Okawa, manager of the Kofu branch of JTB Corp., the travel agency that operates Lily Bell Hutte. "But the spot is not yet widely known among foreign tourists."

The Twin Terrace observation decks are not accessible by private vehicles because the roads are narrow. Visitors take a 10-minute bus ride from the Suzuran Gunseichi parking lot, which is located in front of Lily Bell Hutte at an altitude of 1,300 meters, after parking their vehicles there.

The shuttle bus between the Suzuran Gunseichi parking lot and Twin Terrace will run until November. The round-trip ticket costs 1,800 yen for an adult. There is a free bus service to the Suzuran Gunseichi parking lot from a location in Fuefuki where vehicles can be parked.

JTB on April 25 started a bus tour from Kawaguchiko Station on the Fujikyuko Line to Twin Terrace and back three times daily. The tour costs 3,500 yen for an adult. The company expects 13,000 participants this year.

https://fujiyama-twinterrace.com/en/

Anybody here been there?

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably a bad idea, but while the exchange rates are so good I've been exchanging some USD for JPY in Revolut. This will probably bite me in the ass as a) no guarantee the rate gets worse from here and b) it's worryingly unclear how big the fees Revolut might take out when I actually go to withdraw cash in Japan are.