spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I know it was met with some ambivalence but the street karts were cool as hell. Gave me a great opportunity to see the Bay which I'm not sure I would've. Opted for the long one, thought it was maybe 20-30 mins too long. Ass sore as hell. Does not feel like that should be legal.

28k steps logged in Shibuya, shinjuku and Bay Area. Stumbled on some amazing ramen booth place for late dinner - needed some help with ticket ordering system. Saved our ass - it's not necessarily simple to eat out after hours huh? There's tons of places obviously, but still running into a lot closed.

Yoyogi and Harajuku tomorrow. The lady wants to check out this candy place that has crazy cotton candy. She's a bit of an aficionado. Maybe palace if we have time, then our Michelin star kaiseki at narisawa.

Logistical question. We've decided to ditch our big checked bag and hopefully store it when we're in Thailand Saturday to Saturday (next week), thereby only going with carry ons. Anyone know the best way to do this? I read that you can actually just send it from airport departures to arrivals and it works within the 7 day limit? Seems a bit complex. Flying in and out of Osaka.

Shinogu

Oct 25, 2017
Ain't never been to Japan in July, but things are lining up to where it might kinda have to be the play. Even despite the Hell on Earth that is the Summer Humidity level that I've only heard tales about. Back in May 2017 was the only time in my life so far that I've felt a hint of it. Hmmmm...

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
All I can say is
Ain't never been to Japan in July, but things are lining up to where it might kinda have to be the play. Even despite the Hell on Earth that is the Summer Humidity level that I've only heard tales about. Back in May 2017 was the only time in my life so far that I've felt a hint of it. Hmmmm...

You already know. Its going to be brutal.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

We were there in July last year... Never again.

Even the Japanese were melting

Ender

"This guy are sick"
Oct 29, 2017
We are going to Japan and will be in Tokyo mid June, my friend would like to do something related to DBZ. J-World would have been cool but that was closed.

Is there anything else similar?

Shinogu

Oct 25, 2017
You already know. Its going to be brutal.
RIP Me, like I definitely wouldn't go if I had another way but like I said, some stuff's coming together in a uniquely specific way.

We were there in July last year... Never again.

Even the Japanese were melting
I can't help but on some level wanna take this as a challenge...

We are going to Japan and will be in Tokyo mid June, my friend would like to do something related to DBZ. J-World would have been cool but that was closed.

Is there anything else similar?
Toei Animation has a museum and they cover a bunch of the anime they did over the years, not just DBZ. That might be good for a one-stop destination.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
In a similar vein, the Bandai head office has a small free museum displaying the history of their toys, which does include a bit of DBZ stuff. They also have a bunch of statues outside, including Goku.

It's not something I'd go out of my way for, but fortunately it's only about 10 minutes on foot from Sensoji.

rawr its ry

Oct 27, 2017
Landed at Narita yesterday - was really nice to see the welcome to narita sign with some Sakura trees in bloom behind it

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
On the Shinkansen in 100 minutes, gonna grab a bento box for the ride. Really pumped, upgraded to green car.

Off to Kyoto which will be a nice change of pace I think. Exploring Kyoto after we land tonight then full day tomorrow. Staying just across the river from Hagishiyamaso so will start exploring there. Open to dining recs or thoughts.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Booked my fourth trip starting April 24th, I usually would try to avoid Golden Week, but I've had friends in Japan asking when I'm coming back, and I'd like to go before Summer hits (Never doing Summer in Japan). Mostly going to be in Tokyo, but planning on a day trip to Atami and Futo, five days in Kyoto with a potential day trip to Osaka and Kobe (been to Osaka before).

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
IMG_1020.jpg

This thing has been on my radar for this whole trip, been thinking it can't possibly be all that good.

Bought it, regret not doing it sooner. It's just a cake and it was delicious. Strawberries were very nice and sweet, thought they would be kinda sour.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Higashiyama might be my favorite place we've been so far. Beautiful strolling and the blossoms in the street next to the river are gorgeous.

IMG_1020.jpg

This thing has been on my radar for this whole trip, been thinking it can't possibly be all that good.

Bought it, regret not doing it sooner. It's just a cake and it was delicious. Strawberries were very nice and sweet, thought they would be kinda sour.

Much like you been looking at these all trip and had them recommended but not pulled the trigger. I'll prioritize.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Little collection of videos from today, visited the cat shrine and then headed off to Sky tree. Weather has been much better than it looked like it was going to be just a few days ago. Have barely rained at all. https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5dovPlPtWE/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Doing teamlab borderless on Tuesday, then off to Mount Takao on Wednesday when it looks like it will be nice weather but not too warm. Going to hike up all the way just like we did with Mount Nokogiri.

Just 10 days left here, want to stay even longer. :(
I still have 15 vacation days left to use and I'm seriously considering booking another trip for this winter.

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Got about 40 minutes before my taxi to the airport for my 2nd trip to Japan. Was supposed to go four years ago before everything went to hell.

Got a 14 hour flight, then it's straight on the shinkansen to Osaka. Not looking forward to the day of travel!

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Got about 40 minutes before my taxi to the airport for my 2nd trip to Japan. Was supposed to go four years ago before everything went to hell.

Got a 14 hour flight, then it's straight on the shinkansen to Osaka. Not looking forward to the day of travel!
Enjoy!

Man, I couldn't do the straight to travel after the 14 hour flight. Last time we stayed in Tokyo the entire trip but the one before we stayed one night in Tokyo before heading to Kyoto

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

My last trip I think I spent 16-18 hours in the air or in airports, took the NEX into Tokyo, and then took the Shinkansen straight from Tokyo to Shizuoka to check-in at my hotel around 8 or 9pm. I'm amazed I managed it without any significant mishaps (i.e. falling asleep on the train and zooming to Nagoya or beyond!) and I would never recommend it to anyone unless you absolutely had to, lol. But in a way I'm proud that I did it, and it is totally doable!

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Little collection of videos from today, visited the cat shrine and then headed off to Sky tree. Weather has been much better than it looked like it was going to be just a few days ago. Have barely rained at all. https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5dovPlPtWE/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Doing teamlab borderless on Tuesday, then off to Mount Takao on Wednesday when it looks like it will be nice weather but not too warm. Going to hike up all the way just like we did with Mount Nokogiri.

Just 10 days left here, want to stay even longer. :(
I still have 15 vacation days left to use and I'm seriously considering booking another trip for this winter.

Cat Shrine? Request for more info.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Falling in love with Kyoto. We're not a big guided tour couple but we did an awesome bike tour to hop to 4-5 shrines. Great way to see more of the city including Gion. Fushimi Inari was a little much though; would've preferred to quickly climb away from crowds rather than be with a group. Had awesome tempura in a quiet family run spot last night, chef just kept dumping food on our plates. Great ramen tonight. Just absolutely digging the vibe after Tokyo.

I just love the city. Shrines all over, the river way but especially the split road along the Takase river near here (think I'm in Kawaramachi) with the cherry blossoms. The alleys around here are so cool, went on an awesome nighttime walk taking a bunch of pics. Also dug eating a late lunch from Nishiki market. Gonna go explore for some drinks now.

Weather dragging us down a bit but never been too bad, feel like the rain followed us from Tokyo to Kyoto though. Hoping to sneak in 3-4 hours in Arishayama early tomorrow before moving onto 2 nights in a fancy onsen ryokan in Kobe.

Logistical question. We've decided to ditch our big checked bag and hopefully store it when we're in Thailand Saturday to Saturday (next week), thereby only going with carry ons. Anyone know the best way to do this? I read that you can actually just send it from airport departures to arrivals and it works within the 7 day limit? Seems a bit complex. Flying in and out of Osaka.

Wondering if anyone has any guidance on this?

Last edited:

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
Falling in love with Kyoto. We're not a big guided tour couple but we did an awesome bike tour to hop to 4-5 shrines. Great way to see more of the city including Gion. Fushimi Inari was a little much though; would've preferred to quickly climb away from crowds rather than be with a group. Had awesome tempura in a quiet family run spot last night, chef just kept dumping food on our plates. Great ramen tonight. Just absolutely digging the vibe after Tokyo.

I just love the city. Shrines all over, the river way but especially the split road along the Takase river near here (think I'm in Kawaramachi) with the cherry blossoms. The alleys around here are so cool, went on an awesome nighttime walk taking a bunch of pics. Also dug eating a late lunch from Nishiki market. Gonna go explore for some drinks now.

Weather dragging us down a bit but never been too bad, feel like the rain followed us from Tokyo to Kyoto though. Hoping to sneak in 3-4 hours in Arishayama early tomorrow before moving onto 2 nights in a fancy onsen ryokan in Kobe.
What time did you do Fushimi Inari? I'm not a morning person, but I'm going to try to get there by like 8am.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
What time did you do Fushimi Inari? I'm not a morning person, but I'm going to try to get there by like 8am.

I was with a group. Got there around noon? But it's been weird weather wise - our guide thought it would be quieter because of that but it wasn't at all. I don't have any comparison but I didn't really enjoy my time but would've been happier to be solo and dash past the first few gates.

Dunno when you're traveling but the tourist sites have been crazy in Kyoto specifically. Hasn't hampered our fun but we decided to skip waking up early for Arashiyama since it'll be raining and also probably a zoo and instead have a more leisurely morning before heading to Kobe, maybe hit up Panel Cafe for some fluffy pancakes.

Might revisit later in our trip.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Cat Shrine? Request for more info.

Gōtokuji Temple not too far off from Shibuya (about 30 minutes with train). Chill area to visit on a nice day, since it's a bit outside the centre of Tokyo it isn't super packed with people. We got there around 2pm and while there were people there it wasn't all that crowded.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Gōtokuji Temple not too far off from Shibuya (about 30 minutes with train). Chill area to visit on a nice day, since it's a bit outside the centre of Tokyo it isn't super packed with people. We got there around 2pm and while there were people there it wasn't all that crowded.

Thanks, that's a new location to add to my upcoming trip. I don't mind travelling given I'll need to travel nearly 2 hours to get to Tokyo each time I go anyway thanks to coming from Ibaraki. Looks like a nice area.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Looking into taking my 15 year old to Tokyo next February for around a week. As best I can tell, snow and bitter cold are not typically a problem by then, but is that accurate?

Also, is there anything that is particularly special to do that time of year?

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020
Looking into taking my 15 year old to Tokyo next February for around a week. As best I can tell, snow and bitter cold are not typically a problem by then, but is that accurate?

Also, is there anything that is particularly special to do that time of year?

I was there this February just gone and aside from a really random heavy snowfall one day it was really quite pleasant! It was definitely chilly at times, but really not atall bad I'd say.

Depending on timing you may get to see plum blossoms blooming!

Quaker

Oct 27, 2017

Wondering if anyone has any guidance on this?
would you happen to have details for the tempura spot?

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
would you happen to have details for the tempura spot?

Sure. It's Tempura Tozen. Near Shiyakusho-mae Station. Bit tough to find as it's on the second floor of a building, gotta take the elevator. 10-12 seat place maybe, family run I think.

But we found our favorite place. A bar called Milton's Kyoto. Tiny (I do mean tiny)6 seat bar, again on second floor. Run by Milton himself, a sweet older artist who has his art all around. A couple Aussie couples were there, and Milton after hearing it was our honeymoon gave us a beautiful piece of pottery he made, along with signing some postcards of his art. Also bought a tote bag of his art. Made our night.

Last edited:

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Sure. It's Tempura Tozen. Near Shiyakusho-mae Station. Bit tough to find as it's on the second floor of a building, gotta take the elevator. 10-12 seat place maybe, family run I think.

But we found our favorite place. A bar called Milton's Kyoto. Tiny (I do mean tiny)6 seat bar, again on second floor. Run by Milton himself, a sweet older artist who has his art all around. A couple Aussie couples were there, and Milton after hearing it was our honeymoon gave us a beautiful piece of pottery he made, along with signing some postcards of his art. Also bought a tote bag of his art. Made our night.

That's awesome!

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Made it to Osaka something like 26 hours after leaving home. Brutal travel day, but excited for the next week. Don't have much planned at the moment, except USJ despite none of us really being into theme parks. Didn't think that one through.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
My daughter came back from lunch and has been taking a running six hours nap. So I went downstairs to the nearest sushi place. I feel like a total heel.

(Yes I did tell her I was going and what time I'd be back before making sure she fell back asleep.)

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I have done the sakura season trip once now, will probably not do it again. Weather is just so up and down, one day you have 24C and the next day it's 13.

If I go in the spring again it will most likely be late April/early may and stay away from any big tourist spots during golden week which I have experienced once as well.

October was also very nice.

And I have already started researching a trip to Hokkaido for this winter :D. But it seems like it's best to go in late January or February so that would mean I still have a bunch of vacation days to use this year. Maaaaybe a trip to Okinawa later this year and just chill on the beaches for 1-2 weeks…

I need help, this ain't good for my bank account. xD

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
A few pics from Tokyo and Kyoto, including some blossom goodness.

I wish I brought a real camera or were any good at photography.

A few pics

Not an Imgur vet so might've messed up but maybe it works.

snack

Oct 27, 2017
IMG-1471.jpg
I've been looking around Tokyo for these figures. Anyone know where I can find them? They're sold out at the places I've been (BookOff and Lawson).

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I've been looking around Tokyo for these figures. Anyone know where I can find them? They're sold out at the places I've been (BookOff and Lawson).

Ichibankuji has a shop in Akihabara, so that might be a place to look if you feel like gambling.

If not, these sorts of prizes usually end up in used good stores like Surugaya or Lashinbang. Both of their webstores seem to have them in stock, although local availability at each specific shop will vary.

Web shop links: Surugaya, Lashinbang

Last edited:

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
So Ive asked this before, but we're sandwiching a trip to Thailand in. Leaving this Saturday April 13, returning the 20. Kansai airport both ways.

We have a big bag that we've mostly been forwarding. We don't want to take it to Thailand.

My thought is to forward it on April 12 at night to Kansai arrivals to be picked up when we arrive on the 20th, then picking up and probably immediately forwarding to the Tokyo hotel we will stay at the night before our flight home from there.

I've heard the max Yamato time is 7 days, but surely there's some leeway for time shipped or delays or whatever. Any thoughts? Solution I'm missing?

In Japan travel news, having a great and quite luxurious time at our onsen ryokan in the adorable little town of Arima Onsen. Today we took the ropeway from the town to the top of Mt Rokko! Finally got a beautiful clear day and it was a blast. Gorgeous views of Kobe and even all the way to Osaka.

Checking out tomorrow for 2 days in Osaka. Can we do Himeji in half a day? Say out at 8 and back 2 or 3?

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Can we do Himeji in half a day? Say out at 8 and back 2 or 3?

Depends on what you mean exactly, go from Himeji station to the castle at 8 and head back to the station at 2, then yes.

As long as you're just checking out the castle then going from Shin-Kobe with the shinkansen at 8 and back to Shin-Osaka by 2 should be fine too.

If you're checking out of your hotel in Arima at 8 and into your next hotel wherever in Osaka it might be at 2 then it might or might not be enough time, depends on where your hotels actually are located.

Last edited:

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you mean exactly, go from Himeji station to the castle at 8 and head back to the station at 2, then yes.

As long as you're just checking out the castle then going from Shin-Kobe with the shinkansen at 8 and back to Shin-Osaka by 2 should be fine too.

If you're checking out of your hotel in Arima at 8 and into your next hotel wherever in Osaka it might be at 2 then it might or might not be enough time, depends on where your hotels actually are located.

Sorry, to and from Osaka, moving there tomorrow.

Thinking about heading on the 8:15 Shinkansen out of Shin-Osaka

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a couple of days back from Japan, getting used to my normal work and family routine in Canada. I'll be thinking about this trip for a long time. I loved it so much.