BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
For those who ordered a cybertruck, has it shipped for yall?

Saw three in one day this past weekend. Didn't know they were officially out in the wild.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Final Thoughts
The 911 is beautiful. It's everything I hoped it would be when I was a kid dreaming of getting one. When I was a kid though, I didn't have all of the car experience that I have now. Over the years I've had so much fun with other cars that quite honestly offer a much better fun per $ value. You can get a lightly used 2020 VN for $28k on Carvana that you could take to a track on day 1. You can get an NB Miata for less than $10k, or a nearly new 2019 ND2 for $28k. Even in the world of Porsche, there are a ton of affordable fun options like a 986 Boxster or 987.1 Cayman. But, as much as I love all of those cars, there's still something magical about having a 911.

6zbJTKc.png

That ride is fucking clean. Kudos!

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Going to check out a 2015 Outback on the weekend. Thankfully they still came in manual where I'm from in this generation. My wife and I have a newborn and we were hoping the Mazda 3 hatch we have could accommodate us all, but we need a bit more legroom to make it work. Outback should be plenty.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
So what do we think of the new Supra (23+ MT version specifically?). Curious to hear some thoughts of anyone here who has happened to driven them. I think I'm pretty much decided that's what I'll be going with. Bit torn on Stratospheric Blue (Dawn Blue they call it here) or CU Later Grey (Volcanic Ash Grey here). Both are new colors from '23 and both look great... leaning towards the blue at the moment but this part is the hardest to decide. I like Black too but my old MKIV Supra was black and I can still the swirl marks in the paint from my memory hah. Yellow/Red are out just not my thing. White is ok but feels like 9 out of 10 times I ever see a Supra on the street here (which is extremely rare to begin with) they are usually all white for some reason.

Other cars I looked at were the new Z (they aren't even accepting orders so that's out anyway). The new 86 as well which would be half the cost of the Supra. Problem is when I looked at it that was already after the Supra so I was kind of already set on that. The GR Yaris was another I looked at and priced about halfway between the 86 and Supra. American cars I ruled out being the Yen is so weak they are crazy expensive. Japanese car taxes based on engine size make them a bit of a pain in that regard too.

Think I'm pretty set on the Supra. I've missed my MKIV since I sold it when I moved here.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I think the Supra looks amazing.

When I sat in one though I got a bit claustrophobic so I don't think it'll work for me, but I don't think you can go wrong.

I think it'll age very well.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I think the Supra is a good looking car, and I wouldn't mind having one. Though if it were me I'd probably go with a gr86/brz instead, but I prefer small/light cars even if they're slower.

That and the Supra having a BMW engine would make me worry about it despite everyone claiming its good. I've spent too much time around BMW's and I don't want to own anything they've made in the past like 30 years.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Toyota I purchased a 2024 Sequoia TRD Pro in Terra which is this years color.
After like 6 months of looking I found one local at MSRP.

Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow and see how I like it.

Also, another reason I picked it up is that Resale value is through the roof on TRD Pro models.
Looking around cars.com and used ones are for for 5-10k over MSRP and new ones 10-20k over. It's stupid.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Honestly I think the Supra looks amazing.

When I sat in one though I got a bit claustrophobic so I don't think it'll work for me, but I don't think you can go wrong.

I think it'll age very well.

I know what you mean about the feeling a bit tight inside hah. I'm only 176cm tall (5'10 was it?) and even at my height I kind of felt I was just a bit below what would be the limit. Seat felt snug but I kind of likened being in it to putting on a glove that just about fit perfect. I've also had AW11 MR-2s, an MR-S and 3rd gen MX-5 in the past so I'm a bit used to tight interiors. I do worry about blindspots from those A-pillars but that and getting into the thing (that door roof line is low!) are just things you get used to over time.

I think the Supra is a good looking car, and I wouldn't mind having one. Though if it were me I'd probably go with a gr86/brz instead, but I prefer small/light cars even if they're slower.

That and the Supra having a BMW engine would make me worry about it despite everyone claiming its good. I've spent too much time around BMW's and I don't want to own anything they've made in the past like 30 years.

The 86/BRZ (latest gen) was nice and would be my fall back option if I weren't to get the Supra I think.
I hear you on the being wary of BMW's part. Back when I was working as a tech I started at a Toyota dealer before moving onto a BMW dealer so have wrenched both in the past. At least because of that I feel a bit confident I can manage taking care of some issues should they arise.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The 86/BRZ (latest gen) was nice and would be my fall back option if I weren't to get the Supra I think.
I hear you on the being wary of BMW's part. Back when I was working as a tech I started at a Toyota dealer before moving onto a BMW dealer so have wrenched both in the past. At least because of that I feel a bit confident I can manage taking care of some issues should they arise.

At least you know what you're getting into then. I still haven't even been in the new Supra yet, and if its good enough to drive it would probably sway my opinion.

I used to like BMW's, but my first job was at a dealership in service, and one of the brands we had was BMW which is when I learned that they're not as good as I thought they were. Plus a lot of my friends have owned them and which means I've also worked a lot on them, and that is what taught me to never buy one. Great cars to drive, less so to own.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
I've always like the new Supra and if I were in the market for a new car at around 50-60k that'd be my first pick, especially with the stick. I don't mind it being BMW parts as we rarely see them come into the shop for repairs.

Oct 27, 2017
I had a stickshift driving class the other day and it gave me a lot more confidence than I ever had. Went from basics all the way to hill starts and Rev matching. I went from being super nervous to having a ton of fun, and it helped the instructor was super cool and loved teaching stick.

Looking forward to taking delivery of my new Miata in November!

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Debating pulling the trigger on a 993. It's a ridiculous market right now, though, and I want to drive it, not garage it.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I had a stickshift driving class the other day and it gave me a lot more confidence than I ever had. Went from basics all the way to hill starts and Rev matching. I went from being super nervous to having a ton of fun, and it helped the instructor was super cool and loved teaching stick.

Looking forward to taking delivery of my new Miata in November!
Glad to hear it!

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Checked in with a few Toyota dealers here in Japan for the Supra. They are done taking orders for '23 model year so will have to wait for orders to open for '24 (possibly from March). Worried there will be a good price hike due to weakening Yen. Then again if they do that the'll be neutering sales for a car that's already been lagging in sales as it gets towards the end of its run ('25 should be last I believe). One dealer said they've heard there will be some emissions equipment changes for the 24 model year which if true make me wary. Been offered a Black MT '23 which is coming in December or a White MT '23 coming in March but I was pretty set on that Stratosphere Blue. No word if that color will return for 24 yet though.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Took delivery today of my MX-5. Direct order from Mazda in July. Managed the drive home top down in 50 degree weather(with a few stalls). Super fun to drive and can't wait for the warmer months in 2024. 0.9% financing is amazing too.

That's a really nice color. I really should go to a dealer sometime and see if they'll let me take an ND out for a spin. I had my blue NC for a while and have driven a bunch of NA's and NB's (including Mazdaspeed Turbo ones) in the past. NC doesn't get love I know but it was a fun drive.

Oct 27, 2017
That's a really nice color. I really should go to a dealer sometime and see if they'll let me take an ND out for a spin. I had my blue NC for a while and have driven a bunch of NA's and NB's (including Mazdaspeed Turbo ones) in the past. NC doesn't get love I know but it was a fun drive.

Yeah I wish they provided more color choices and for the 4 months I was waiting, I kept second guessing myself if I made the right decision on the color. But when I finally saw it in person, all my fears washed away. It really shines in direct sunlight and of course it was sunny all day until I drove it home, where it just became mostly overcast :/

My Dad had a 2000 Silver NB and I remember falling in love with that car when he had it. He brought me with him to pick it up and take the drive home. So this is like 2 decades coming for me. In perfect fashion, my Dad came with me to pick this up so it was cool to return the favor and share that with him.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Like the Miata but have always been a S2k guy. Speaking of, I was full on committed to moving on to EVs and getting a Model 3 but Ive been looking at S2k the last few weeks with prices coming back down.

Jan 13, 2020
ANrppNf.jpeg

WoZH5l6.jpeg

6nxZ0mn.jpeg

Just picked up my 2014 Peugeot RCZ-R. Only 300 of them were ever produced for the UK. 270bhp, 6-speed manual, limited slip diff, double bubble roof. I'm absolutely in love 😍

This one's had one owner from new and it's been serviced by Peugeot every single year like clockwork. Couldn't really have asked for a better example.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Historically it was because insurance rates on two seaters were manifestly worse but I sort of doubt that's still the case.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sold the BRZ. Have a child now and the Mazda 3 we thought would be good enough isn't - there just isn't enough legroom to have my wife, child and dog in there. So I'm using the BRZ money to get a 2017 Mazda 6. Still a manual at least, and plenty of leg room comparatively. The 6 was what inspired me to look into Mazdas in the first place after a good time with one as a rental few years ago, so I'm glad to finally be back into one. Would have liked to be able to be a tenth gen Accord 2.0T Sport manual but it was too far out of budget. Unfortunately the turbo 6 doesn't come with a manual. However, the 2.5L Skyactiv motor is fun to wring out.

I'll miss the BRZ. The day before selling it and driving it for the last time it was hard not to feel emotional about it. It has been hands down the most engaging and rewarding car I've driven. It's not fast, but it wants to dance. You can feel the weight moving around the car when driving it. It was a great car to teach me more about smoothness and how it affects what you want to do with the car. Power was always a downshift away if you wanted it. Doing dumb little powerslides when making left and right turns to the extent the traction control would let you never got old.

Hopefully in a few years, once my wife settles into a EV of some sort, I can get into a second gen BRZ/GR86.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Glad you liked it. I hated my 86. Owned it for 3 months and that torque dip was so fucking bad that it ruined the whole driving experience. I came from a S2k so that really magnified the flaws. Even with the new improved new ones, Im heading back to a S2k.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Glad you liked it. I hated my 86. Owned it for 3 months and that torque dip was so fucking bad that it ruined the whole driving experience. I came from a S2k so that really magnified the flaws. Even with the new improved new ones, Im heading back to a S2k.

The dip certainly wasn't great. I think it would be fine in a track setting where you should be above that anyways, but on the normal road that's square in the region of where you'd want some power to be to pass someone. I don't know what they expected out of most drivers - not everyone is revving the piss out of these each time - but it was a serious miss for typical driving.

I had a Openflash tune and a freer flowing header that helped a lot in that region. It was more linear than a jolt of power, but definitely an improvement.

Picked up the 6 today. Obviously, it's different than the BRZ. It has the ability to chill out and be a comfortable cruiser for one, but the 2.5L with a manual gives this engine a little more to work with. It's not fast, but it's decent torque, with a fairly flat feeling torque curve that dies off. The gears are somewhat long, except for first which is super short. But with the character of this engine with a wide powerband, it works. Different, but it's own thing. You can hustle it a bit and it will entertain it, but it doesn't encourage it as much. In a way, it gives the car some more depth and range to what it is.
Still lots to learn with the car, but it's been good so far.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I had a Mazdaspeed 6 for a while back in around '07. That was a fun car with the turbo and 6-speed. I remember doing around 150 in it on the stretch between LA and Phoenix. I was really hoping they would do a proper sedan with that new I6 engine they made but I guess the volume for sedans now is just too low for them to do it.

Speaking of turbos, 6-speeds and I6 engines...

Checked in with a few Toyota dealers here in Japan for the Supra. They are done taking orders for '23 model year so will have to wait for orders to open for '24 (possibly from March). Worried there will be a good price hike due to weakening Yen. Then again if they do that the'll be neutering sales for a car that's already been lagging in sales as it gets towards the end of its run ('25 should be last I believe). One dealer said they've heard there will be some emissions equipment changes for the 24 model year which if true make me wary. Been offered a Black MT '23 which is coming in December or a White MT '23 coming in March but I was pretty set on that Stratosphere Blue. No word if that color will return for 24 yet though.

Boy the last month since I made this post has been fun. 'Crazy' more like it. At the time I made this post I really was set on Stratosphere Blue if I was to go with a Supra. Shorty after I made this post I found there was a slightly used (~800km on the odometer) manual Stratosphere Blue for sale in a few prefectures over. So I hopped in the car and drove an hour and a half over to go and check it out.

pF1Sbr9.jpg
VKBkCU6.jpg

It is a nice color and looks great in pictures (which is why I liked it) but... in person I thought it just hit a bit different. Maybe too close in blue to the Honda Fit I have been driving for a while? Kind of cheap in a way? Not sure really but it was a good thing that I went to check it out. Being MT Supras are a bit rare even used this shop was charging a good bit over the stock MSRP for one. Also there was a rock chip in the paint already that would probably bother me forever. Plus if you are going to pay that much for a used one why not just get new from the dealer for straight MSRP (Japan dealers aren't allowed to tack on up-charges outside of options iirc, what you see on the site is what you pay).

So after seeing this and thinking about it a bit more.... I went back to that dealer and signed a contract for the Nocturnal Black MT (with black interior). Black interior was also important as I'm just not a fan of red or tan interiors. The white one the dealer had coming in March was red interior which is the stock interior color for Japan with tan and black being the options. Weeks later I actually had a different dealer I had contacted earlier call me up and say they had a white one with tan interior become available (yeah that's a no for me). Of the few MKV Supras I've ever seen on the streets here it seems like most of them are always white for some reason. Have seen red, yellow, the '20 blue I forget the name of but never black or grey. Like really 90% of the time white.

Signing the contract was just where the fun began for me. The first fun part which I won't get into too much detail of was paying for the thing. Lets just say with the Yen being at its weakest point compared to the dollar in more than 10 years I ended up with quite a deal on this. But oh boy is dealing with Japanese banks a headache. And yes faxes were involved lol.

The second fun was my license. While I always owned MT cars in the US... my Japanese drivers license was for AT only. For some reason they split it here and you have to take a separate test for MT to get an MT license. I regret not getting the MT one initially when I came here but at the time I only had an AT car and was in a rush to get it (AT test was easier too). Always figured I would get around to converting it one day and now became that time! And just like before now I was in a rush lol. I waited to make sure the paying/financing side would be good before converting just to be sure I could get the thing.

If you are confident with your skills in driving you can just go to the license center in your prefecture and take the test for it (reservation needs to be made at least a week in advance though). Unfortunately for me and where I live the license center is an hour drive away. And doing this test is an all day ordeal with test in morning but no results till 1PM. I went and tried once.... and failed lol. Even after years of not driving a stick that wasn't actually the problem. There are so many other little things they check you for when doing these tests its crazy (did you roll down the window to listen for the train? look in the mirrors 4 times before changing lane?). Getting a license in the US is an absolute joke compared to the tests here. That's also part of why they don't let most US drivers straight convert licenses here without taking the test (A few states like Washington do have agreements with Japan to to just that though).

Short on time and not wanting to risk not having the correct license in time I went for the more expensive option. Japanese driving school lololol. Sure it costs money but not too bad if you already have a license and are just converting to MT. Spent 4 hours over the weekend two weeks ago driving around their test track. One of the teachers I had used to work at Toyota and was telling me about when he used to drive a 2000GT back in the day. Also made friends with a guy from Pakistan there to get a truck license. Doing it at the school guaranteed I could get my license in time so while I did have to fork over more cash it was worth it I think. I plan to hopefully go back to this same school next year and get my 'oogata' bike license (unlimited CC class). Unfortunately even with doing the test through the school you still have to go back to the license center to get the actual license conversion approved and registered so that was another hour drive up and back. That was done this last Monday which is just in time because....

My Supra has arrived at the dealer and I'm picking it up this Saturday at 10am. When the dealer said it was arriving in December back when they told me I thought I had a bit more time. They got it this week and I got the registration paper with the VIN and license plate number (I got to choose the last 4 digits for my plates which is all they let you do here). I needed that registration to get my insurance set up as well. Funnily enough while I have complained about car ownership here being expensive compared to the US (bi-annual inspections and taxes based on engine size are $$) insurance is dirt cheap here compared to the US especially California prices. Full coverage and I maxed out nearly everything too even paying a bit more for an option they guarantee a new car for replacement. Still it came out to a whopping $65 a month.

I'm keeping my Fit as well at least for now. The thing hasn't let me down in all the years I've had it and doesn't cost much to keep as a second car anyway.

So that's the fun I've had this last month. Looking forward to having a Supra again after I lost my MKIV when I moved here. I probably should be more excited than I am but I'm exhausted hah.

Oct 26, 2017
My current vehicle is 10 years old now so I'm starting to think about replacing it. I'd like to get an electric or plug-in hybrid. I currently work from home and don't drive often (Maybe 1-3 times a week). I was thinking that the Toyota RAV4 Prime would be a good option for me but I'm open to other options.

Sep 15, 2020
My current vehicle is 10 years old now so I'm starting to think about replacing it. I'd like to get an electric or plug-in hybrid. I currently work from home and don't drive often (Maybe 1-3 times a week). I was thinking that the Toyota RAV4 Prime would be a good option for me but I'm open to other options.

if you can find one why not. if you don't mind the look, there are a good number of certified Bolts with low'ish miles around

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Found an interesting feature of my E92 3 series yesterday where if you've not driven for a week and a half or so and the battery is drained a little, the (dumb) electronic steering lock will throw a hissy fit and just not work, resulting in a car that you can't even turn on. Thankfully I went back half an hour later and managed to get the car started but I just wish manufacturers would leave mechanical parts alone and maybe think twice about replacing them with an electronic equivalent. I can't wait to buy an older car with less electronics going on.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
And delivered! After all I am glad I went with the black it looks stunning. When you pick up a new car at this dealer they have it waiting in a special waiting room where they go over all the features and things you need to know and sign the final paperwork to take it. Break in period is supposed to be the first 1200 miles (~2000km) so I won't be pushing it yet. Had 17km on the odo at delivery. Getting in and out of it is fun.

kZ3K2nP.jpg
8CzG30u.jpg

lT6QpXc.jpg
EKPaBsJ.jpg

Honestly it's so much more refined than my old MKIV as you would probably expect being that its 30 years newer and using BMW parts. Transmission feels smooth. After not driving manual for so long I'm a bit rusty though lol.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
My coworker has two although they were much cheaper than that as they're used. Quite a few on carsandbids in the US. Registration can be a problem, though, not all states are okay with them, even as antiques.

I didn't realize you could buy them new, neat!
Yeah my Dad's old schoolmate has an old one that he uses to ferry stuff back and forth to his allotment. He adores it.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Damn.... beautiful.

For those who have done a PPF, did you do just the front or the whole body? And why?
I did a front end and rocker panels the first time. The next car I did full body PPF cause the paint is very difficult to match triple layer metallic. I did full body matte PPF on a matte (magno) paint on another car cause matte paint is legit unmatchable even moreso lol.

Honestly, PPF makes a big difference to me. I no longer have anxiety of driving my car out and getting rock chips. I probably should have gotten a ceramic coat done to make washing easier, but Id rather save the money. Tho...it's tempting.

What I def would do next time around is get some kind of windshield ppf. My installer disliked them, but apparently newer films are better.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I did a front end and rocker panels the first time. The next car I did full body PPF cause the paint is very difficult to match triple layer metallic. I did full body matte PPF on a matte (magno) paint on another car cause matte paint is legit unmatchable even moreso lol.

Honestly, PPF makes a big difference to me. I no longer have anxiety of driving my car out and getting rock chips. I probably should have gotten a ceramic coat done to make washing easier, but Id rather save the money. Tho...it's tempting.

What I def would do next time around is get some kind of windshield ppf. My installer disliked them, but apparently newer films are better.
Ok cool cool. I did a ceramic coat no PPF on my 2023 bmw m240 right before it got totalled. 🥲

Thinking of picking up a new M2 and was deliberating on doing ppf this time around. I did have one small chip on my front bumper and was wondering if that could be avoided on a car that is 15k more expensive.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Do any gearheads have any fond automotive memories from their early years? My uncle was and has always been the catalyst for why i'm into cars and(especially) motorbikes. I'm still trying to track down a photo of me sat on his Honda Fireblade at my Grandma's house(pictured) but I can settle for a Mk1/2 Ford Escort.

GDq-T8-PPWs-AAoe00.jpg

(note the Golden Virginia pack of baccy in his breast pocket)

I can't imagine what that car would have been worth now. Easily a good 20-30k.

(we were a family of large heads, if you're wondering)

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Do any gearheads have any fond automotive memories from their early years? My uncle was and has always been the catalyst for why i'm into cars and(especially) motorbikes. I'm still trying to track down a photo of me sat on his Honda Fireblade at my Grandma's house(pictured) but I can settle for a Mk1/2 Ford Escort.

GDq-T8-PPWs-AAoe00.jpg

(note the Golden Virginia pack of baccy in his breast pocket)

I can't imagine what that car would have been worth now. Easily a good 20-30k.

(we were a family of large heads, if you're wondering)
Oh yeah absolutely! When I was like 7 or 8 I went with my dad either super early in the morning or late in the evening (no idea when, but it was dark!) and got to see the start of a stage of the Lombard RAC Rally. Beasts like this with their lights on taking off at full revs with their straight pipe exhausts - holy shit that left an impression on a young lad lol!

3600.jpg

Image666662.jpg

Image988442.jpg

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got myself a Miata! Almost $4k off and 0.9% financing, I couldn't say no. RF GT in manual.

Love it, just wanna break it in so I can rev it out. :D

wPNtPf4.jpg
EQq5pf3.jpeg

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats on the RF. After I sold my S2k, I looked in to that and it was too damn small. I dont mean not being able to fit in it but proportionally, it looked like a toy car to me. Still looks good but Im prob going back to a S2k if I get another gas car.

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got myself a Miata! Almost $4k off and 0.9% financing, I couldn't say no. RF GT in manual.

Love it, just wanna break it in so I can rev it out. :D

wPNtPf4.jpg
EQq5pf3.jpeg

Congrats, fellow machine gray owner! I've been sad since I haven't took my '23 soft top out in a few weeks since we now got salt on the roads from snow :(

That 0.9% financing was so good, I couldn't pass it up.