Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Curious to hear more as well!

I'm still dithering on what to do as we continue in the Great Z Shortage of Both Information & Inventory. I'm now thinking of:

Slightly used 2023 Audi S6
New 2023 M4 Competition
New 2023 Audi RS6 Avant
New 2024 Toyota Tundra
New 2024 Lexus ES 350 F

The truck can replace my Tacoma but the sedans/saloons mean another spot in the driveway, which isn't great.

Appreciate any insight into the comps from people who have driven them. Have some tests lined up for next couple of weeks.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about and window shopping for a fun car for quite awhile now. Maybe years if you count the long period of "casually browsing"

Long story short: After considering cars such as an M2 comp, manual Supra, C7 Z06, C8 Stingray, I finally landed on a Camaro ZL1 with a 6 speed manual, preferably in black. And after scouring the country for one and being repeatedly frustrated due to lack of availability or dealer shenanigans, I was finally able to locate one in Michigan for MSRP. I got the blessing from my wife and then pulled the trigger. We road tripped it back to TX last weekend, and this week I've been working to get it registered, break in oil / diff fluid change, and PPF + ceramic coating + tint.

These are not great pictures but they're the only ones I have of her freshly cleaned.

camaro-rear.jpeg

IMG_4415.jpg

This is Tessa. I have never been a Camaro guy or even an American V8 muscle car guy, but I suppose I am one now. This thing is so much fun to drive I don't know what to do with myself.

I'll try and get some better pics soon

Nice! Been debating between a m2 and zl1 (1le!?) myself for my next car. What made you decide to go with this?

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Nice! Been debating between a m2 and zl1 (1le!?) myself for my next car. What made you decide to go with this?

Well, the moment I saw the styling of the new M2 it was out the door for me. I just couldn't do it. I had the same reaction to the G8x M3/M4 grill. I'm coming from an F30 335i (and before that two E90s) so I was ready for something different. I love BMW but haven't loved any of their styling or product choices for the past several years now.

For some time I had been thinking about a Corvette. When the C8 was announced I was convinced I would try to buy one in 2023/2024, but in the last 6-12 months or so I've had the itch for a manual. I considered a C7 z06 but I found them to be quite expensive on the used market, even ones that looked like they had been driven hard.

I never thought much of the current gen Camaro styling. I kinda liked it from the front but not so much from the rear. Over time it grew on me, until they did that dreadful refresh. Luckily the ZL1 has the proper front grill design. That plus the side splitters give the car a look that I'm really into. I prefer the ZL1 to any S550 Mustang and definitely prefer it compared to the new S650 design. I also really love the interior design. I love the analog gauge cluster, and the material quality is better than the non-BMW competitors IMO.

Ultimately though it's the engine. I think that 650hp is probably too much, certainly for street driving. But I love the sound of the engine and supercharger. I love how it pulls, how it has torque for days, and coming from an F30 BMW I love how connected the steering wheel feels. I know I'd love driving a Supra or an M2 comp, but those cars can't match the engine note of the LT4. Not having fake engine noise is a big plus for me. The 6 speed transmission feels great, and I think I prefer it to the 7 speed in the C7. I definitely prefer it to the S550 GT manual that I drove some years back.

I was only considering a ZL1. The 1LE (which is an incredible car that you should totally get if you want one!) by many accounts is too harsh of a ride to daily, and my primary use for this car will be as a light daily driver and spirited weekend cruiser. I will want to track it eventually but that would only be on special occasions. I also really wanted a car with mag ride.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the moment I saw the styling of the new M2 it was out the door for me. I just couldn't do it. I had the same reaction to the G8x M3/M4 grill. I'm coming from an F30 335i (and before that two E90s) so I was ready for something different. I love BMW but haven't loved any of their styling or product choices for the past several years now.

For some time I had been thinking about a Corvette. When the C8 was announced I was convinced I would try to buy one in 2023/2024, but in the last 6-12 months or so I've had the itch for a manual. I considered a C7 z06 but I found them to be quite expensive on the used market, even ones that looked like they had been driven hard.

I never thought much of the current gen Camaro styling. I kinda liked it from the front but not so much from the rear. Over time it grew on me, until they did that dreadful refresh. Luckily the ZL1 has the proper front grill design. That plus the side splitters give the car a look that I'm really into. I prefer the ZL1 to any S550 Mustang and definitely prefer it compared to the new S650 design. I also really love the interior design. I love the analog gauge cluster, and the material quality is better than the non-BMW competitors IMO.

Ultimately though it's the engine. I think that 650hp is probably too much, certainly for street driving. But I love the sound of the engine and supercharger. I love how it pulls, how it has torque for days, and coming from an F30 BMW I love how connected the steering wheel feels. I know I'd love driving a Supra or an M2 comp, but those cars can't match the engine note of the LT4. Not having fake engine noise is a big plus for me. The 6 speed transmission feels great, and I think I prefer it to the 7 speed in the C7. I definitely prefer it to the S550 GT manual that I drove some years back.

I was only considering a ZL1. The 1LE (which is an incredible car that you should totally get if you want one!) by many accounts is too harsh of a ride to daily, and my primary use for this car will be as a light daily driver and spirited weekend cruiser. I will want to track it eventually but that would only be on special occasions. I also really wanted a car with mag ride.

Thank you. Have fun with it :)

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Did some dumb stuff to my car. Never liked the red trim so wrapped it blue (and did a bad job up close) and put blue mudflaps on. A bit much but didn't necessarily mind the riceyness.

1n1NlvR.jpg

pJkcg8y.jpg

Curious to hear more as well!

I'm still dithering on what to do as we continue in the Great Z Shortage of Both Information & Inventory. I'm now thinking of:

Slightly used 2023 Audi S6
New 2023 M4 Competition
New 2023 Audi RS6 Avant
New 2024 Toyota Tundra
New 2024 Lexus ES 350 F

The truck can replace my Tacoma but the sedans/saloons mean another spot in the driveway, which isn't great.

Appreciate any insight into the comps from people who have driven them. Have some tests lined up for next couple of weeks.
I drove an M4 Comp a little while ago, didn't push it too much cause I was paranoid about things going wrong or whatever (it was my friend's friend's car for their Turo business) but still enough to have some thoughts. For reference my daily is the Kona N above, and my previous was a 2008 Mini, so I'm used to smallish cars/hatches. The M4 felt huge in comparison, not really driving wise, but like...the dimensions were noticeable, like maybe just cause more external body vs interior ratio than I'm used to.

I just kept it on the M mode to be a loud jackass, and it's fine. More than enough power for daily driving, I could be in a higher gear for a bit and not notice cause it still had enough to pull from lower RPMs. Handling felt good but it's not like I was pushing it either. Suspension was stiff (at least in M mode) and brakes squeal, amusing to point out to my friends who were surprised by it, and I was just like...super sporty cars kinda suck for refinement in some ways. Seats were solid, although my friend found them uncomfortable, and rear seats were cramped for her when she was back there (I think she had to sit sideways a bit to fit). So yeah, excessive for road use sporty car with usual sporty compromises...and still ugly to my eyes. Interior and seats looked cool at least, if you like the color scheme.

Out of that list, without having researched at all, I'd go with the Avant just cause (clear personal preference here), fuck yeah, wagons!

Xirj

Sep 10, 2019

An SS1LE is a very potent and credible alternative if 650 hp is not needed. Love mine, I daily it and also track. Tremendous value cars.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
An SS1LE is a very potent and credible alternative if 650 hp is not needed. Love mine, I daily it and also track. Tremendous value cars.

Indeed, the SS 1LE is a beast. The Misha Charoudin video of the SS 1LE doing a Nurburgring lap was one of the factors that got me thinking about a Camaro. In the end, I just wanted that sweet supercharger whine.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
General question for the car folks here.

My little RSX project is moving along and it's getting some work/updates in the coming weeks. I'm putting a Yonaka catback on it, mostly because it sounds really nice and isn't obnoxious. Most of what I plan on doing could be defined as restomod, at most. I was looking at potentially doing a short ram intake to go with it, but my concern is that it's just going to be loud and obnoxious all the time while also drowning out the nice new exhaust note the car will have.

Anyone have experience with these? Is it just going to howl the second I put my foot on the gas? I don't want it be screaming while I drive 10 mph through my neighborhood or some dumb shit like that. Specifically looking at an Injen one, but any general feedback is appreciated.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
General question for the car folks here.

My little RSX project is moving along and it's getting some work/updates in the coming weeks. I'm putting a Yonaka catback on it, mostly because it sounds really nice and isn't obnoxious. Most of what I plan on doing could be defined as restomod, at most. I was looking at potentially doing a short ram intake to go with it, but my concern is that it's just going to be loud and obnoxious all the time while also drowning out the nice new exhaust note the car will have.

Anyone have experience with these? Is it just going to howl the second I put my foot on the gas? I don't want it be screaming while I drive 10 mph through my neighborhood or some dumb shit like that. Specifically looking at an Injen one, but any general feedback is appreciated.

Intakes really only make a difference in sound when you're full throttle and even then they're not loud, otherwise you won't even notice. The exhaust will be much more noticeable at all times.

If anything, an exhaust is what you should worry about being loud and obnoxious all the time.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHqeInJn_WU

Absolutely love a widebody 964. Would be very near the top of my list if I had a lotto win.

Need to go out for a proper drive in my car. It just gets used for pottering around town and I've not really had a chance to stretch its legs yet. Before I sell the thing and move onto a Volvo or an MX-5, I really want to chuck an exhaust on it, just to hear the inline 6 engine a bit more. In standard form it's veeery quiet but i've been eyeing up something like this.

View: https://youtu.be/HBPSnJ319Vw

Doubt i'll get around to owning another inline 6 in a very long time so i'd at least like to hear the engine a bit more whilst I do have one. This'd never annoy the neighbours as much as when I had an RSV4 with an Akrapovic can on it anyway.

Last edited:

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Intakes really only make a difference in sound when you're full throttle and even then they're not loud, otherwise you won't even notice. The exhaust will be much more noticeable at all times.

If anything, an exhaust is what you should worry about being loud and obnoxious all the time.

Good to know. Still debating the intake. A true CAI comes with risks and mods to the car I don't really want to do. The short ram seems like it's probably a wash on whether it does anything at all (especially if it doesn't change the sound of the car much). They aren't expensive relatively speaking, and the install is really simple from what I can tell, so it's something that doesn't have to happen immediately.

The exhaust I picked shouldn't be obnoxious, I don't think. Watched a lot of videos and it seems like, while certainly louder and with a different note than stock, it's not just making a bunch of noise for no reason. It seems to be a pretty well regarded option if you don't want it to be annoying and like to daily the car still, which I do.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm popping in to see if anyone can help.

My wife and I have recently purchased a 2021 Volvo V60 Cross Country and are loving it. We are looking to add load bars to the roof, but I'm having trouble tracking down the appropriate part number.

Some sites show a specific part number fits, while other sites show that same part number doesn't fit. Additionally when searching via vin number I'm not finding any load bars at all. I don't know if there is any actual difference between the cross country and the regular v60 from that year as far as load bars are concerned, but searching via the regular v60 returns: 2019-2021 Volvo V60 - 32347410 as a part number. Switching back to the cross country states this part doesn't fit.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm popping in to see if anyone can help.

My wife and I have recently purchased a 2021 Volvo V60 Cross Country and are loving it. We are looking to add load bars to the roof, but I'm having trouble tracking down the appropriate part number.

Some sites show a specific part number fits, while other sites show that same part number doesn't fit. Additionally when searching via vin number I'm not finding any load bars at all. I don't know if there is any actual difference between the cross country and the regular v60 from that year as far as load bars are concerned, but searching via the regular v60 returns: 2019-2021 Volvo V60 - 32347410 as a part number. Switching back to the cross country states this part doesn't fit.

That is strange, since the V60 Cross Country is just a lifted regular V60.

I would honestly suggest just going to the dealer, the car is new enough they should easily be able to get the right parts, and I can't imagine the price would be any different.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That is strange, since the V60 Cross Country is just a lifted regular V60.

I would honestly suggest just going to the dealer, the car is new enough they should easily be able to get the right parts, and I can't imagine the price would be any different.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I thought the same thing about there being no difference between the v60 and CC as far as the roof is concerned.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

How do you like the V60? My wife and I are thinking about the non-CC version, but the complexity of the T6 engine is a bit unnerving to me and the last time I used the user interface (in a 2017 V90 admittedly) I was not a fan of the speed and how much needed to be done through the screen.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How do you like the V60? My wife and I are thinking about the non-CC version, but the complexity of the T6 engine is a bit unnerving to me and the last time I used the user interface (in a 2017 V90 admittedly) I was not a fan of the speed and how much needed to be done through the screen.
We both are really enjoying it. Handles great, feels premium and you're right a lot is done through the screen, but our other car is a 2012 nissan so it feels good to have something technologically relevant. It's a really nice vehicle. If the engine is complex, it's lost on us as we would have to take it in regardless.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

With the current generation of Volvo's, you'll want the most base engine you can get if you want the least problems. Unfortunately their 2.0 I4 that's now used in all their cars just isn't as reliable as the old engine family they used before.

Its probably one reason they're working hard to go electric, because it will solve their reliability issues. It is sad though, as their old stuff was known for lasting forever.

Last edited:

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
My wife just messaged me that she wants me to set up an appointment and get new tires on our RAV 4.

We got new tires in 2021 and drive it about 12k miles per year. I'm reading most tires these days get about 60k miles before they should be replaced. I'm not sure why she's asking me to get new tires, she hasn't replied back yet.

How often do people replace tires?

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Check the tread depth?

But on a Rav4 I'd assume the fronts at least would be starting to get marginal after 25k. 60k is the preserve of rear tyres on a small FWD hatch.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
yea going to check the depth. But 24k miles on a tire, it would be odd to need replaced already right? We don't do anything out of the as far as roads we drive on.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
I would expect to go through the fronts on my Fiesta in that time. The rears basically only exist to keep the rear from scraping along the ground.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
It's a used RAV 4 and we get free oil changes for life… almost certain they also rotated our tires last year when I took it in for oil. I'll have to check.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on more of a every 7 seconds schedule.

umm we change oil twice per year I believe. Is that excessive? So like every 6k miles.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We both are really enjoying it. Handles great, feels premium and you're right a lot is done through the screen, but our other car is a 2012 nissan so it feels good to have something technologically relevant. It's a really nice vehicle. If the engine is complex, it's lost on us as we would have to take it in regardless.

With the current generation of Volvo's, you'll want the most base engine you can get if you want the least problems. Unfortunately their 2.0 I4 that's now used in all their cars just isn't as reliable as the old engine family they used before.

Its probably one reason they're working hard to go electric, because it will solve their reliability issues. It is sad though, as their old stuff was known for lasting forever.

Thanks for the insights. Glad to hear it's been a great experience so far for you forrest! I agree with turbobrick that a simpler one would be ideal but I think we missed the boat on getting a T5 on a current gen V60. Looking like dealing with the T6 at least. They have the B6 now where the supercharger is electric than traditionally driven off the engine. But it's such a new motor I have no idea of what to expect.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the insights. Glad to hear it's been a great experience so far for you forrest! I agree with turbobrick that a simpler one would be ideal but I think we missed the boat on getting a T5 on a current gen V60. Looking like dealing with the T6 at least. They have the B6 now where the supercharger is electric than traditionally driven off the engine. But it's such a new motor I have no idea of what to expect.

If the current T6 is just a hybrid with the turbo 2.0 it should be better. From what I know the big issues were on the older ones that were both turbo and supercharged.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I do know our 2021 V60 CC is T5 with Polestar Performance Optimization. Specs do say 2.0 liters I-4. What kind of issues should we be expecting from a engine reliability stand point?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I do know our 2021 V60 CC is T5 with Polestar Performance Optimization. Specs do say 2.0 liters I-4. What kind of issues should we be expecting from a engine reliability stand point?

From a Volvo tech I talk to on discord, there were oil consumption issues, mostly with the earlier model years of the engine, so like 2016-2017 or so. They ended up replacing quite a few engines, mostly on xc90's. Because of that they did extend the warranty. Also not sure if that carries forward to newer engines or if it was just first year problems.

But with the long oil change duration of modern cars, you should routinely check your oil level anyway

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
I'm on more of a every 7 seconds schedule.

umm we change oil twice per year I believe. Is that excessive? So like every 6k miles.

Fwiw, I've literally never changed oil except at the yearly service even when I did 20k a year nor do I know anyone else with a non-specialist car who would.

The concept of an "Oil change place" as a business literally doesn't exist in the UK.

As turbobrick says though, you should of course be checking the oil level, but what's in there can stay in there.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Conversely, changing oil every 3 seconds is something Americans do that's always baffled me.

I think most people still follow the recommended schedule, but if you're driving an older car its going to be more often. Like all my oil changes are 4k miles or less depending on vehicle, but all my cars are 1990's or older. But personally, I'd rather change it too soon than wait too long. Oil is cheap enough that I'm find spending a tiny bit extra to ensure my engine lasts.

But also the average person here never inspects their car, and only has a shop do it, so going too long runs the risk of running low and potentially causing engine damage. So its possible manufacturers adjust intervals to be shorter for the American market that's more likely to neglect maintenance. Even if your car burns a tiny but acceptable amount of oil, if you never check it for 15k miles you can still run it too low.

Though I think Americans also drive more on average, and put more miles on cars. So shorter intervals keeps fresher fluid in the cars and helps them last, as its better to be on the safe side. BMW ran into issues a while back because their oil change intervals were too long and causing engine issues. And there's the separate issue where some manufacturers say you don't need to change the transmission fluid, and sure it can make it past 100k miles just fine, but good luck making it much past 200k.

Last edited:

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If the current T6 is just a hybrid with the turbo 2.0 it should be better. From what I know the big issues were on the older ones that were both turbo and supercharged.

I hope so. The T6 is now the B6 which uses the T5 engine with a hybrid system to also turn a supercharger. It's an electric pump...I'd hope we've figured out how to make those by now lol.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Whoa, Ford is cooking up a mid-engined Mustang?

https://fordauthority.com/2023/08/ford-to-debut-mid-engine-mustang-this-thursday-exclusive/amp/

The Ford Mustang lineup has never been stronger, as the recent motorsports push through special variants like the Mustang Dark Horse R has demonstrated. Additionally, The Blue Oval clearly intends to push boundaries as to what the Mustang brand represents in the modern era, with the upcoming Ford Mustang Mach-E Rally serving as evidence that the company won't let its treasured nameplate stagnate in one particular lane. Later this week, the company is planning on essentially doubling down on that ethos with plans to debut the first-ever mid-engine Mustang, according to sources familiar with the matter.

As a matter of fact, this upcoming mid-engine Mustang has already been shown to a select group of individuals in Las Vegas, who got to see the vehicle yesterday, August 14th, 2023. The public reveal will occur this Thursday at a special event in Pebble Beach, California. Sources say the vehicle will be built by Multimatic and it will be a Mustang branded vehicle, but it does not utilize the S650 platform. Aside from the current crop of specialty Mustang products, Multimatic built the Ford GT

and currently builds the Ford Bronco DR for The Blue Oval. It is currently not clear if this Mustang branded product is based on the GT, but our sources say the company essentially considers it to be a supercar.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Pictures already leaked and it's a road-going version of their GT3 car. It is likely not rear-mid engined like the C8 Corvette, but rather front-mid engined like the Honda S2000 and most front-engined race cars.
ford-mustang-gtd-leak.jpg

HosoyNH.png

Without the grill lights that the GT3 car has, the front end kinda looks like the new Civic Type R
2023-civic-type-r-toyta-gr-corolla-vw-golf-r-010-6406374cec284.jpg

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
So after extensive research and talk to my mechanic more, I've opted to change some of the plans I had for my little Integra/RSX. Dropped plans for coilovers and the intake entirely, still planning to change the exhaust and wheels out currently. Since I opted to not do coilovers, I just bit the bullet on doing all the remaining suspension work (which also finishes the repairs checklist). It's so insane how good the car feels and drives now. Last time it was in, the transmission was serviced and we did the fluid again this time just to make sure. The car shifts so fucking smooth now it blows my mind. This week's trip cost me a lot, but it feels like a new god damn car at this point which really, really softens the blow.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, looks like a Mustang GT3 RS. Much better than any other new Mustang model. Will be interesting to see how it fares.
Mustang-GTD-on-Track-4.jpg

www.thedrive.com

2025 Ford Mustang GTD: A $300K Pony Car With 800 HP, F-22 Raptor Parts, and Active Aero

The 2025 Ford Mustang GTD is too extreme for racing with its supercharged V8, active aero, and supercar-exceeding performance.
It's an insane $300k limited production street legal version of the race car that uses recycled titanium from a F22

While it's really cool, I was hoping it would be a bit more in line with the C8 Z06 in terms of pricing and availability.

To be honest, I actually just want the front facia on the regular Mustang because I think the smaller upper grill looks way better than the one of the new GT/Dark Horse which have a bunch of black plastic bits to try to make the grill look even bigger. I'm sure someone will make a clone body kit for it eventually.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Looks great, but I agree, it should have better availability and pricing.
However the aftermarket will surely take cues from its look.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
That thing is anything but a Mustang. Have you seen the suspension geometry? Its pure fuckery. Engine has been moved further back hence the mid engine rumors, dct is positioned on the rear axle, body panels all carbon etc. This thing is just a Ford GT with a V8 disguised as a Mustang. This thing will cost over 400k, people are being too optimistic about 300k lol.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Got to see the 911 Dakar and Huracán Sterrato in person and they were so dang cool. Those are some legit badass toys. I even got a 1/43 scale model of the Dakar from the Porsche event lol. Had the chance to drive a taycan gts and I'm in love, I'd rather the sport turismo cuz it looks cooler but what a great car.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Mustang-GTD-on-Track-4.jpg

www.thedrive.com

2025 Ford Mustang GTD: A $300K Pony Car With 800 HP, F-22 Raptor Parts, and Active Aero

The 2025 Ford Mustang GTD is too extreme for racing with its supercharged V8, active aero, and supercar-exceeding performance.
It's an insane $300k limited production street legal version of the race car that uses recycled titanium from a F22

While it's really cool, I was hoping it would be a bit more in line with the C8 Z06 in terms of pricing and availability.

To be honest, I actually just want the front facia on the regular Mustang because I think the smaller upper grill looks way better than the one of the new GT/Dark Horse which have a bunch of black plastic bits to try to make the grill look even bigger. I'm sure someone will make a clone body kit for it eventually.

From the moment the Mustang GT3 was unvield I was thinking.
Yup someone is about to make a wide bodykit inspired by this and a wing mounted in that location.
I really didnt expect that someone to be Ford themselves.
Absolutely stunning.

mustang-gt3-03-1663247319.jpg

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my order in for a 2024 Mustang EcoBoost Premium with X-Plan through one of my in-laws. Other than that, just got my 2006 Escape fixed-up and running almost like it just came off the lot again.

Torn on whether or not to trade-in the Escape when the Mustang comes in or try for better from a private-sale; Or as some I know are suggesting, keep it around for harsh-snow days/winter weather and occasional hauling. Of course the repair-shop guy would count him among the 3rd opinion since this old thing brings him business every month.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
Should I get a new 330e fully loaded or a slightly used M340i? I estimate the gas and maintenance costs will surpass the 330e MSRP price within 5 years.

Good Dreams

Oct 27, 2017
I've had my 911 for a few months now and put about 1,800 miles on it, so I thought I'd share some of my feelings about it and compare it to some other cars I've owned. The car is a joy to drive. It handles amazingly, the hydraulic steering is responsive and communicative, the engine sounds great, and it's the quickest car I've owned. Just as importantly (to me), I love to look at it. I'll peak out my window to see it sitting in the driveway and just admire how good this car looks. There are some things that aren't quite perfect with it though, like a whistling sound from wind above 60MPH, some creaky interior parts (especially the passenger's seat when there's no passenger in it), and the clutch is very heavy, so it's tiring in traffic.

So now that I've spent some time with my dream car, how does it stack up against some of my favorites?

2010 911 vs 2022 Veloster N
The Veloster is a fantastic car. It doesn't feel anything like a 911, and they're hard to compare head-to-head, but they both bring me a lot of joy while driving them. The 911 is better in terms of pure driving feel, which shouldn't be surprising, but I never feel like I'm jumping into a lesser car when I swap between them. The Veloster has a lot of charm with the exhaust sounds and is a much more capable daily driver with all of the customization options and cargo/passenger space it has. I can go from a nice soft-ish suspension and a dead quiet ride to tight steering and stupid, fun pops and burbles with a single button on the steering wheel. The Veloster is loaded with tech and I use CarPlay every time I'm in the car. The lack of tech is noticeable in an older 911 if you're trying to daily it, but when it comes to sports cars I think less is more.

When I had to take a 10 hour road trip to Ohio with my brother I didn't even consider the 911. The Veloster is more comfortable, easier to drive, and still a ton of fun. The VN is an absolute steal for the price and anyone who owns one should cherish it. In my opinion it also looks significantly better than the other hot hatches available. My white one looks really nice, but I do wish I had it in Performance Blue.

2010 911 vs 2015 Cayman
I loved my Cayman, and it's a little bit closer of a competitor to the 911 than the VN is. There were some things about the Cayman that I enjoyed more. Having an engine screaming right behind your head is one of the most fun things to experience while driving. The Cayman felt smaller and more nimble, and I really loved how it looked. The seating position is low in both cars, but in the Cayman I felt lower, more enclosed, and more connected to the road. I always felt like the base Cayman was lacking in power though, even though it's the same as the VN -and- 300lbs lighter. I think if I had owned a Cayman S I never would have sold it and wouldn't currently have the 911.

The extra power from the 911 fixes my biggest complaint with the Cayman, but I have a feeling I'll own a Cayman again in the future. If anyone out there is looking to get a Porsche and buys a Cayman or Boxster because it's more affordable, just know you aren't settling. The 911 is the more "prestigious" car, but you could argue its younger siblings are just as good but in different ways. I've owned 3 mid-engine cars (two Boxsters and the Cayman) and there's something really, really special about them. Get an S though if budget allows it.

2010 911 vs 2002 NB Miata/2019 ND2 Miata
Miatas are awesome. Old ones are cheap, easy to maintain, easy to get parts for and stupidly fun. There's a degree of pure driving joy that Miatas give that you can't get anywhere else, and I felt that in both my 2002 and 2019. It's so slow, but feels fast, and the engine screaming never stops. Rev it hard, fly through corners with the top down, and smile.

The 911 is fun to drive, but Miatas are on another level. The community is amazing too. People get big dumb smiles on their faces when they see another Miata coming down the road.

I traded in my NB as the down payment for my 911 and it's bittersweet. Just be very careful about rust. They're very prone to it. If you can get a clean one, just be nice to it and make sure the undercarriage gets washed regularly. You'll also probably want a new battery.

I own a 911 and long for my 20 year old Miata... I don't regret my decision, but it should also go to show that you can have a lot of fun without spending a lot of money.

Final Thoughts
The 911 is beautiful. It's everything I hoped it would be when I was a kid dreaming of getting one. When I was a kid though, I didn't have all of the car experience that I have now. Over the years I've had so much fun with other cars that quite honestly offer a much better fun per $ value. You can get a lightly used 2020 VN for $28k on Carvana that you could take to a track on day 1. You can get an NB Miata for less than $10k, or a nearly new 2019 ND2 for $28k. Even in the world of Porsche, there are a ton of affordable fun options like a 986 Boxster or 987.1 Cayman. But, as much as I love all of those cars, there's still something magical about having a 911.

6zbJTKc.png

torontoml

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping someone can help me or if I should just go and ask the dealership.

I have a 2023 F150 with stock 275/60R20 tires.
Previously I had a 2014 F150, and still have the winter 275/65R18 tires and steel rims from that.

I know there will be a difference in the speedometer but will the winter tires and rims fit and would there be any other negative effects to the truck itself?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Bruh, why did no one tell me to change cabin air filters periodically!? Live in an area that gets snow, not a stranger to mice building nests and hoarding food in the air box... Have smelled a funk since spring and put it off but finally did some research and discovered this simple maintenance thing. And holy shit you wouldn't believe what I've been breathing! The filter was horrible but what was stuck above the filter was 10x worse. Replaced filter, cleaned out, and ran a ac defogger, but whew.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Hoping someone can help me or if I should just go and ask the dealership.

I have a 2023 F150 with stock 275/60R20 tires.
Previously I had a 2014 F150, and still have the winter 275/65R18 tires and steel rims from that.

I know there will be a difference in the speedometer but will the winter tires and rims fit and would there be any other negative effects to the truck itself?

they have the same 6 lug bolt pattern, so there's no issue there.

Since you already know about tire diameter difference, only real issue is wheel offset and brake caliper clearance. Since 2014 is still pretty new, it probably uses higher offsets like most modern vehicles, and is probably about the same as the new one. As for brake clearance, I would be shocked if the 18 inch wheel didn't fit. Unless you have a high trim or like a raptor or something with giant brakes, the wheels should bolt on fine.

I mean you can always just try it. Put a wheel on and see if it clears fine.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Ford has bungled the Maverick so badly. Maybe they did a better job in the States, but Ford Canada simply...did not move my order for a '23 to a '24. Dealer didn't know anything. So now I would have to place a new order, with no price protection in the slightest against the big jump they added to the hybrid. Got my deposit back and used it to cover the cost of some stuff I had been putting off on my 08 Civic which will just have to continue rolling. Infuriating.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Should I get a new 330e fully loaded or a slightly used M340i? I estimate the gas and maintenance costs will surpass the 330e MSRP price within 5 years.

Personally I'd go for the M340i, probably because for whatever reason I'm just not a fan of these PHEVs that have a tiny 20mi range battery+e-motor strapped next to a small turbo i4. Just feels like they took two shitty engines and put them together to make a mediocre powertrain. I know I'm being a bit dramatic, but I've just never been a big hybrid engine guy. I think I'd rather just go full EV, but I do get the appeal of BMW styling and fit+finish level over something like a Tesla for sure.

If cost of ownership is your biggest priority then probably go 330e. If fun-to-drive is the main goal, then I'd say go M340i. I still really dig the sound of a BMW i6.

As it is the M340i is the only current BMW I would get, as I can't stand the look of the new M2 and still despise the bucktooth grills found on the M3/M4/M440i.