GifGafJef

Dec 19, 2022
I do hope the ending is better received this time around. finally caught up to the anime this week and man...I am really going to miss it. One of my favourite pieces of media for sure.

I assume the author is nowhere close to starting up another series? Probably enjoying all the free time.

GifGafJef

Dec 19, 2022
Honestly the post rumbling episodes in the anime were very good. I know those chapters were kind of disliked by some but anime wise they were good. Hopefully it will be the same for the ending. I do think isayama could have done it better but I dint despise what I read as much as others.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Reading reactions to the episode on Twitter and from what it seems it appears to be 1-to-1???? The 10 years at least, the Armin thanking Eren, bird Eren, Ymir smiling in the mouth behind Mikasa, etc???

Please please PLEASE if this is the exact same it would be so funny

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
It is done.....
Boy that was a rough time trying to get a working livestream. Two went down and had to find a third working one. Missed a bunch of scenes. It was never that hard before.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Reading reactions to the episode on Twitter and from what it seems it appears to be 1-to-1???? The 10 years at least, the Armin thanking Eren, bird Eren, Ymir smiling in the mouth behind Mikasa, etc???

It's 1 to 1.
The only change I notice is a scene of Levi, Falco, Gabi. Onyankopon and Yelena

Icedragon08

Oct 30, 2017

I watched the entire episode and it was basically the exact same.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see anime-only reactions to Eren devolving into an absolute beta mere moments after murdering hundreds of millions of people.

"b-b-but I don't want mikasa dating anyone else!"

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
giphy.gif

WE WON

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
For those who have seen it, does the final episode include the director's cut stuff from the manga?

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017

It's not the exact same, no.

From memory:
The scene with Eren and Armin is fairly different.
When they're kids, when Eren tells Armin that they will become heroes, Armin says they have no intention to do any of that. And instead of explaining how bad the Rumbling will be (the 80% thing), the scene/Eren skips to Ymir.
It's only when Eren says he doesn't want to die but deserves to that the 80% are mentioned (so, yes, that means the "10 years at least" scene is still there, you hyenas). Armin doesn't take it well at all. Eren explains that it's just how it has to be, that the future can't change. He says that he now understands that the reason things have gotten so bad is that he's an idiot. Just a run-of-the-mill idiot who received way too much power.
There is no "thank you for becoming a mass murderer". It's now "thank you for showing me this view (/these views?)". Eren thinks he's headed to hell. Armin says he is too, so they'll always be together. (There's more dialogue, really, but as I said, I'm writing all this from memory.)
The rest largely plays the same... until Historia's letter, which ends fairly differently. She talks about "fighting to end the fight". (Also, the Yeagerists are trying super hard to look like Nazis (a lot of red).)
The scene on the ship is also a bit different, with Armin and the others talking a bit more about the risk they're taking by going to the island.
We see Levi, Gabi, Falco, Onyankopon and Yelena helping with the survivors (fairly similar to the cover of volume 35).
The rest is basically the same.

EDIT: Jesus, were you guys doing your taxes while the episode was airing? How did you not notice all that?

For those who have seen it, does the final episode include the director's cut stuff from the manga?
Yep, it's all there, as expected.
(... Well, the School Caste stuff isn't, in case there was any doubt.)

Last edited:

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory

Pretty much. Whatever small changes I noticed, maybe a scene moved here or there, I gotta reread the final chapters, and my Japanese is not nearly good enough to catch most dialogue changes.
Animation was awesome in the fights, the OST was on point, maybe it missed in one scene. I preferred Isayama's faces to some of the later talking scenes. The acting is glorious, ss expected.
Erigu above gives a better description of it all.

Last edited:

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
Y'know, I'm pretty infamous around here for being a "Lost (or Lindelof, more generally) hater", but I really don't think I'd be mad at the thought that Lindelof fans might get something a bit better / improved... That's an interesting attitude you have there, guys.

I preferred Isayama's faces to some of the later talking scenes.
Yeah, some shots are... a bit awkward. Maybe they'll get fixed for the Blu-ray / DVD release?
Also, not a huge fan of
the Schindler's List effect in that one scene.
I cringed.

And I'm not sure about the changes, personally... Kind of a mixed bag for me, right now. I'll need to take a closer look / sleep on it, I think.
If you've seen my thoughts about the Dina / Bertolt twist (which is unfortunately-but-unsurprisingly still there), you can guess how I feel about Eren explaining that 80% of humanity had to die "because he couldn't change the future"... Those new parts about him reasoning it all happened because he's an idiot / thinking he's headed to hell might help with that (at the very least, he's still responsible?)... As said above, I dunno, right now. Need to think about it.

So it the finale has the
girl in the future coming upon the tree
?
Yep.
Couldn't really tell you if it's a boy or a girl though.

Last edited:

JAA55

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego
Not gonna lie pretty annoying seeing this much gleeful hate over a series that has been finished and might get slightly improved.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
Y'know, I'm pretty infamous around here for being a "Lost (or Lindelof, more generally) hater", but I really don't think I'd be mad at the thought that Lindelof fans might get something a bit better / improved... That's an interesting attitude you have there, guys.

Yeah, some shots are... a bit awkward. Maybe they'll get fixed for the Blu-ray / DVD release?
Also, not a huge fan of
I cringed.

Yep.
Couldn't really tell you if it's a boy or a girl though.
I'm not mad it's just jokes.

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
Also, not a huge fan of
I cringed.

I did not want to throw more gasoline into the pre-destined fire until everyone got a chance to see it all....but yeah, I cringed at some of the animated and still shots of faces and movements toward the end there.
That was not the place nor the time to mess things up. Maybe they didn't and I'm overly critical.
The same exact thought crossed my mind, "they'll fix it for the Blu-ray," and you don't want to give salivating hyenas more to feast on.
Ha, some of those stills are gonna create some memes later today.

Last edited:

GifGafJef

Dec 19, 2022
do y'all think anime fans will dig it. The reaction to the manga was rough; kind of dampened my hype a bit back then. I caught up on the anime recently and loved it tbh(from rumbling on; I remember reading the reactions to those chapters which weren't too into it like the prior chapters but the anime adapted it well imo).

I honestly havent read the ending to the manga but know roughly what happens. I really didnt mind it tbh. I also didnt mind the Lost ending(speaking of lindelof hes definitely one of my favourite show runners). Game of thrones was a mess for sure but I dint mind the Daenerys heel turn etc; Series was disappointing for sure but some of it I was fine with.

It will be interesting to see how overall reaction will go.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
Finally something about the final Blu-ray / DVD release:
shingeki.tv

「進撃の巨人」The Final Season Blu-ray&DVD 第5巻 | TVアニメ「進撃の巨人」The Final Season

TVアニメ「進撃の巨人」The Final Season 完結編 NHK総合にて2023年放送!

March 20. Looks like they're keeping the TV special format (in two parts).
I hope they'll include the new opening and ending credits sequences made for the "episodes 88-94 version", but the description doesn't say anything about those... Hmm.

GifGafJef

Dec 19, 2022
The titan folk subreddit is having a grand all time I suppose.

I like the little changes I have heard of so far. Looking forward to watching it. How is the OST? I still wish post WIT studio Sawano did more tracks. In a way I think the quality of the music declined a bit. It was still good but loved Sawano's work.

Still hoping Isayama puts out a new manga sometime soon.But I assume he has not interest in something like that at this point in time.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Finally something about the final Blu-ray / DVD release:
shingeki.tv

「進撃の巨人」The Final Season Blu-ray&DVD 第5巻 | TVアニメ「進撃の巨人」The Final Season

TVアニメ「進撃の巨人」The Final Season 完結編 NHK総合にて2023年放送!

March 20. Looks like they're keeping the TV special format (in two parts).
I hope they'll include the new opening and ending credits sequences made for the "episodes 88-94 version", but the description doesn't say anything about those... Hmm.

Lol Final Season Volume 5.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't read the details besides those changes to the Eren-Armin conversation (thanks god), but what I'm recollecting is that it was a faithful adaptation with some improvements, the animation was great besides some faces towards the end and the ost was on point?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
The episode aired in Japan so now is probably a good time to avoid social media if you care about spoilers.

Oct 27, 2017
I think I bailed out of reading titanfolk when they took an extreme liking to Eren and his genocidal philosophy. Plus when the series ended, the handful of legitimate criticisms about it got drowned by cries of "cringevengers!!" and "why is he not the father??" and I value my sanity

Plum

May 31, 2018
Honestly I can't even muster the energy to watch the final two episodes or partake in any discussion about it.

On one side you've got a bunch of people who took their hatred of the finale too far, who dislike it for reasons far beyond why I personally dislike it. Half of any post criticising the ending (whether the final arc or just the ending itself) has to be taken up by paragraphs on how you're not like those people. Paragraphs which will be ignored because...

On the other side you've got a bunch of people who automatically assume that, if you dislike the ending, you are part of that first group, or at least adjacent to them. That's before the ever-present disingenuous "you just hate it because you don't get it!" arguments (and other similarly obnoxious ones) that gets thrown about whenever anything divisive with even a modicum of depth comes out.

It's just not fun anymore, and I really hate to say that about a franchise I really quite enjoyed.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As far as reactions go, there's one person that's gonna get a real kick out of Mikasa tonight, that'll be fun

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
It's not the exact same, no.

From memory:
The scene with Eren and Armin is fairly different.
When they're kids, when Eren tells Armin that they will become heroes, Armin says they have no intention to do any of that. And instead of explaining how bad the Rumbling will be (the 80% thing), the scene/Eren skips to Ymir.
It's only when Eren says he doesn't want to die but deserves to that the 80% are mentioned (so, yes, that means the "10 years at least" scene is still there, you hyenas). Armin doesn't take it well at all. Eren explains that it's just how it has to be, that the future can't change. He says that he now understands that the reason things have gotten so bad is that he's an idiot. Just a run-of-the-mill idiot who received way too much power.
There is no "thank you for becoming a mass murderer". It's now "thank you for showing me this view (/these views?)". Eren thinks he's headed to hell. Armin says he is too, so they'll always be together. (There's more dialogue, really, but as I said, I'm writing all this from memory.)
The rest largely plays the same... Until Historia's letter, which ends fairly differently. She talks about "fighting to end the fight". (Also, the Yeagerists are trying super hard to look like Nazis (a lot of red).)
The scene on the ship is also a bit different, with Armin and the others talking a bit more about the risk they're taking by going to the island.
We see Levi, Gabi, Falco, Onyankopon and Yelena helping with the survivors (fairly similar to the cover of volume 35).
The rest is basically the same.

EDIT: Jesus, were you guys doing your taxes while the episode was airing? How did you not notice all that?

These sound like semi decent changes; ANYTHING to make people realize Flock's group are closer to Nazis with how much anime-onlys gas him up as a hero. (The amount of people who have given him and Eren a pass in anime reactions is insane like holy hell) Gonna have to re-read the story to tell how the predetermined angle is comparatively though.

Were the comments towards Ymir still the same?

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Anime-only here who just finished the episode! Was it dramatically different in the manga? Looking forward to finally chatting about it with my manga-viewing friends lol.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I tough that it translated a lot better on anime form and the changes to the Armin-Eren conversation are appreciated.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
I told y'all the anime onlies would like the ending a lot better
Been saying this for a while now honestly. Doesn't matter how much manga readers want it to be a thing, the "10 years at least!" meme will NEVER have the same traction for anime onlies without the history of shipping obsessiveness and 4chan tier Eren simping.

Normies are simply going to be more normal about it, especially with the changes on top of that