• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
This was posted a couple of days ago on their Facebook but it seems like they reposted it on their Bilibili page today.

Here's a summary of what they posted:
1. The Bluetooth chip of Switch 2 still supports existing Joy-Con and Pro controllers, and still features HD vibration (ALPS dual-axis linear motor).
2. Switch 2 has backwards compatibility with Switch 1 cartridges, but Switch 2 cartridges will be different and won't fit on a Switch 1.
3. The new joycons are larger and are magnetically attached to the console with an electromagnet. The SL and SR buttons are metallic now, and there's a new button behind each joycon (location where the button is) and a new button below the home button on the right joycon (location where the button is)
4. The dock still has an USB-C port and will also support 4K image output.
5. The new kickstand also has a damping bracket on the back for improved angle adjustment.
6. The screen is bigger, up to 8 inches and the resolution is upgraded to 1080p.

https://www.bilibili.com/opus/925030436838572049 (archived site if the page gets removed) Take it with a grain of salt as always.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
The new dock also has a damping bracket on the back for improved angle adjustment.

dock or kickstand?

if it still only does video out via a dock i will be very disappointed

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really only care about BC, everything else is a bonus. Gimme that (Id love enhanced BC though) and Ill definitely be there day one. But who am I kidding, announce a new 3D Mario and Im there day one lol.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Oct 25, 2017
The new dock also has a damping bracket on the back for improved angle adjustment.

dock or kickstand?

if it still only does video out via a dock i will be very disappointed
Kickstand! That was my bad, I've edited it.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How reliable are these guys? Sounds good in my books, but honestly it's the backwards compatibility I want more than anything else so I'll be stoked about that.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
The part about 4K from the dock is interesting, but I'm guessing it's just the maximum level that it is capable of outputting. 4K could mean content via YouTube or Netflix, so probably not hard info on whether the console does 4K upscaling or native output of gameplay.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Oct 25, 2017
How reliable are these guys? Sounds good in my books, but honestly it's the backwards compatibility I want more than anything else so I'll be stoked about that.
They're a legit accessory manufacturer. Why would they post this if it's real, I don't know, but they don't really have a reason to make this up either.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
This was posted a couple of days ago on their Facebook but it seems like they reposted it on their Bilibili page today.

Here's a summary of what they posted:
1. The Bluetooth chip of Switch 2 still supports existing Joy-Con and Pro controllers, and still features HD vibration (ALPS dual-axis linear motor).
2. Switch 2 has backwards compatibility with Switch 1 cartridges, but Switch 2 cartridges will be different and won't fit on a Switch 1.
3. The new joycons are larger and are magnetically attached to the console with an electromagnet. The SL and SR buttons are metallic now, and there's a new button behind each joycon (location where the button is) and a new button below the home button on the right joycon (location where the button is)
4. The dock still has an USB-C port and will also support 4K image output.
5. The new kickstand also has a damping bracket on the back for improved angle adjustment.
6. The screen is bigger, up to 8 inches and the resolution is upgraded to 1080p.

https://www.bilibili.com/opus/925030436838572049 (archived site if the page gets removed) Take it with a grain of salt as always.

Assuming all this true especially the b/c part - I'll be there day 1!!!!

Backward compatibility is all I need to hear, good.

+1

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Is the cart going to have a notch?
main-qimg-d68f22692425502f127e0b75cb6a2a5f.webp

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They're a legit accessory manufacturer. Why would they post this if it's real, I don't know, but they don't really have a reason to make this up either.
I guess I will get cautiously hyped, in that case. I feel like I'm getting more feral for this thing with every passing day, Nintendo have their claws in me.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Great news on the BC front.

I like that the kickstand will be enhanced for different viewing angles.

I'm there day one, just gotta beat the scalpers.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
BC is the big news for me.

People have CRAZY Switch collections with all of the releases there have been. So that saves them from people questioning buying the console at launch.
Also saves them from the scenario they had with the 3DS and Switch where people weren't buying the last-gen games at all.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
1080p screen is the worst news ever if true…

Edit: I'd rather have a 720p screen and better battery life and performance.

Last edited:

CrashBash

Feb 24, 2024
Were people seriously expecting no backwards compatibility from a console that will likely use the same Switch branding as its predecessor?! They were always going to support Switch games.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
BC is the big news for me.

People have CRAZY Switch collections with all of the releases there have been. So that saves them from people questioning buying the console at launch.
Also saves them from the scenario they had with the 3DS and Switch where people weren't buying the last-gen games at all.

So true. I have 600+ games.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024

It's more than sufficient at that screen size, and is what many other devices use. This isn't a PC or phone, as long as the content is designed for that resolution it will be fine. There is no way Nintendo will destroy the battery life just to get a nearly useless bullet point, and extra cost.

Personally I'm curious then how the various profiles will work out, with the upscaling tech, the dock output being 4k but the portable screen being 1080p, it may actually work out a lot nicer than the current method.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
It's more than sufficient at that screen size, and is what many other devices use. This isn't a PC or phone, as long as the content is designed for that resolution it will be fine. There is no way Nintendo will destroy the battery life just to get a nearly useless bullet point, and extra cost.

It's too high. 720p is plenty enough at this size. Waste of battery and performance in my book.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017

Edit: I'd rather have a 720p screen and better battery life and performance.
Not even the steam deck dared aim for 1080p. If anything, this doesn't bode well for handheld mode performance/battery life.

Edit: when I quoted you the edit wasn't there lol

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Were people seriously expecting no backwards compatibility from a console that will likely use the same Switch branding as its predecessor?! They were always going to support Switch games.
Confirming vs assuming / hoping.
Plus is this DS / 3DS backwards compatibility or are upgrades for some titles on the table?
Also, it's great that the 3DS can play DS games, but playing DS games on the 3DS is kind of not great so I still use my DS Lite for that reason.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad for 1080p screen, after having the 720p resolution for nearly 8 years on Switch and 3 years on the Steam Deck I'm really ready for some higher resolution for these text and UI heavy games in portable mode.

Not even the steam deck dared aim for 1080p. If anything, this doesn't bode well for handheld mode performance/battery life.

Edit: when I quoted you the edit wasn't there lol
Steam Deck has to run PC games that for the most part aren't optimized around it specs.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Funny thing is people complained about the OG Switch only having a 720p screen, now 1080p after 8 yeard for the successor is to much despite DLSS Upscaling being available.
Were people actually complaining about the 720p screen or the poor image quality of the games running under 720p & 30 FPS in handheld?

Two completely different situations, and I have seen people complaining that the games look and run bad, not that the 720p screen sucks.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
I'm glad for 1080p screen, after having the 720p resolution for nearly 8 years on Switch and 3 years on the Steam Deck I'm really ready for some higher resolution for these text and UI heavy games in portable mode.

Steam Deck has to run PC games that for the most part aren't optimized around it specs.
And the switch has to run switch games that aren't optimized around its specs, so not much of a difference there.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Were people actually complaining about the 720p screen or the poor image quality of the games running under 720p & 30 FPS in handheld?

Two completely different situations, and I have seen people complaining that the games look and run bad, not that the 720p screen sucks.

There were a lot of complaints prior to release about the screen being 720p

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
exciting, even if the rumored details are relatively safe ones

magnetized joy cons will be interesting, as this was rumored the other day

wonder what the extra joy con button would be for and if it would also be found on the back of a new pro controller

1080p screen is great, I don't even think the SD is 1080p? A nice upgrade in sharpness and clarity

I know it is silly but even rumored support that backwards compatibility is happening is nice, considering online so many people were nervous of that. As would I, my switch library is probably my biggest system library ever. Now if existing switch 1 games can get upgraded through bc that would be cool.....Wanna see Xeno 3 with a boost :-)

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Backwards compatible and bigger screen = day one. It's what I want from them.

Wish we'd also get a D-pad.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
1080p is dumb.

It's not only battery life, it's power requirements and baseline.
That means either requiring two times more power to display at native res... or lower than native res titles.
Targeting 1080p in handheld mode means you have less leverage for performance.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

It was about the screen being 720p from the 'but even my 2yo phone has a 1080p screen' despite not realizing that most of their games weren't being rendered in that resolution on phone.

8 inch screen!? That seems unlikely.
All but confirmed to be a 7.9.inch screen.

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
This is shaping as my dream machine. The switch, but more powerful and BC.

And I'm sure if they go with a 1080p screen they will solve the battery life problem. Battery life has always been a priority for Nintendo.