Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
GNFdeW1XgAEwHtn

It does look offside from this angle, but can't say for sure without the line.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
The linesman also knew pretty immediately that he fucked up, seeing how (little) he reacted afterwards to Bayern players and staff berating him.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Utter robbery. This is exactly why we have VAR so linesmen don't have to raise the flag and can let it play out. Insanity to raise it at that time and in that situation. Insanity.
Robbery is an extreme interpretation. It only stopped a promising play, as any wrong foul call does 5-10 times a game

Soiks

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of the ending offside, what are you thinking of?
I thought there were multiple occasions where Real Madrid players should've been booked for tactical fouls stopping counterattacks. Not doing so meant several promising opportunities were snuffed out for free.

FWIW, I have no reason to care who won this game and think Real Madrid were worthy winners, it's just poor officiating like that is a detriment to my enjoyment.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Both were wrong, but Real's was called after the play was over. Nothing similar.

The lineman raised the flag immediately at that one too, the referee just didn't get a chance to blow the whistle until it was already over.

I'm talking about the fact that the linesmen are supposed to wait when they're not 100% sure.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Have to say it's hilarious that after all this time uefa and the leagues still aren't able to properly integrate VAR and make it work like it's supposed to

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I thought the refereeing was fine beyond Bayern's goal. It's hard to tell without the technology being applied, but what are you doing raising the flag so early my dude. I think Madrid's goal was similar too, only the whistle wasn't blown before the goal.

It flattened the insane high I was on after the two goals, especially because I'm confident that we'd still have won. Feels bad.

Super proud of Joselu anyways, stand up guy.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Robbery is an extreme interpretation. It only stopped a promising play, as any wrong foul call does 5-10 times a game

I mean, the ball's in the back of the net a few seconds after the linesman raises his flag. Would it have done had the play continued without any interference from the linesman/ref? Impossible to know. But it was a very promising position and the sort of position for which the rule that linesmen don't raise their flag was created. Let it play out and see what happens.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Literally a human error, nothing you can really do about it
That's exactly what VAR is for. There is literally no reason for them not to look at critical situations in games like this when all is on the line. If it's checked and still false we can talk about human error for all i care but there is absolutely no reason for VAR not looking at situations likes this.

Plenty of other sports are able to use VAR without turning it into a clown show like it is in football.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
That's exactly what VAR is for. There is literally no reason for them not to look at critical situations in games like this when all is on the line. If it's checked and still false we can talk about human error for all i care but there is absolutely no reason for VAR not looking at situations likes this.

Plenty of other sports are able to use VAR without turning it into a clown show like it is in football.
? The game was stopped. There was no goal to look at. You would have wanted them to check if the offside was false to give the ball back to Bayern as a dead ball or something?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Bayern really should have been bringing a lead to the second leg after the way the first game went, always felt they blew their chance there

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
? The game was stopped. There was no goal to look at. You would have wanted them to check if the offside was false to give the ball back to Bayern as a dead ball or something?
It's not exactly rocket science. Let the play work out. If Bayern scores make a VAR check, if not let the game run.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
It's not exactly rocket science. Let the play work out. If Bayern scores make a VAR check, if not let the game run.
But that's the current VAR implementation? That's why I don't understand your earlier point about this situation illustrating an issue with VAR, when the linesman didn't follow actual VAR guidelines. You can't do much better without replacing linesmen with software entirely.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Kane trophyless is hilarious.

Imagine Mbappe goes to Real and they also stop winning CL for a while

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
But that's the current VAR implementation? That's why I don't understand your earlier point about this situation illustrating an issue with VAR, when the linesman didn't follow actual VAR guidelines. You can't do much better without replacing linesmen with software entirely.
That's exactly my point. We have the technology. Why do we still rely on some middle aged man that has run for the past 80 minutes having the eye to make a split second decision about whether or not someone 30 meters away is 5 cm offside or not.

Don't really care about this game tonight but it's a prime example of the same struggle that happens in all the league and uefa competitions.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
didnt they change the refs engangement in these situation a few yers ago by whistling after the play finished even with clear off-side so that these exact situations dont happen?
Bayern has every right to be upset.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
didnt they change the refs engangement in these situation a few yers ago by whistling after the play finished even with clear off-side so that these exact situations dont happen?
Bayern has every right to be upset.
Yes, especially when the period of play is in a threatening position. However they will call offside if it's so clearly offside + not threatening

I have no dog in this fight but Bayern fans have a right to be upset. Absolutely shocking officiating

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
clear offside, rudiger's hand doesnt count unless they changed the rules
It's Mazraoui who matters not de Ligt and that one you can't call looking at the picture. It's a dumb and unnecessary error.

Generally speaking I'm good with this result. If we lose to Madrid it's just as everyone expected and if we somehow break their streak of winning finals then it's a huge upset.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
clear offside, rudiger's hand doesnt count unless they changed the rules

You're looking at the wrong player. Mazraouie was the one who engaged in the situation and was called offside. De Ligt is in front of Rüdiger and Mazraouie here and WOULD be in offside position if the ball went anywhere close to him, but it didn't. De Ligt's position on this picture is not a factor here at all for the decision. Only Rüdiger vs. Mazraouie counts here.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
How dare Bayern trying to shithouse their way through, that is our thing!

Luckily the universe set things right.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
It was a long time ago that i watched a winger do what Vini did to a defense, especially Kimmich, mate was on the floor more than one time 😂

Overall Madrid played better in both legs and deserved the final

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
Offside was seemingly called on Mazraoui. I don't think there's anything clear about whether he's offside or not on this still.
You're looking at the wrong player. Mazraouie was the one who engaged in the situation and was called offside. De Ligt is in front of Rüdiger and Mazraouie here and WOULD be in offside position if the ball went anywhere close to him, but it didn't. De Ligt's position on this picture is not a factor here at all for the decision. Only Rüdiger vs. Mazraouie counts here.

View: https://twitter.com/RefereesRobbing/status/1788316236150890921

first of all, that play shouldnt have happened because the ref said that it was adding two minutes like in the 100' and this happened way after those two minutes, second of all it is offside, and thirdly even if it wasnt rudiger or lunin wouldnt have stopped it easily.

i agree with you guys that the ref fucked up by blowing the whistle as it should have let the play continue and then use var in the unlikely scenario that bayern managed to score.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
It was a long time ago that i watched a winger do what Vini did to a defense, especially Kimmich, mate was on the floor more than one time 😂

Overall Madrid played better in both legs and deserved the final

Vini was relentless, bummer he didn't get his goal but damn what a performance that was. At certain moments he just dribbled past 2-3 players to create danger. One man army carrying the attack.

Been saying it for some time now: Vini > Mbappe. We really don't need the latter.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France

View: https://twitter.com/RefereesRobbing/status/1788316236150890921

first of all, that play shouldnt have happened because the ref said that it was adding two minutes like in the 100' and this happened way after those two minutes, second of all it is offside, and thirdly even if it wasnt rudiger or lunin wouldnt have stopped it easily.

It's not at all obvious it's offside even from a still picture, much less in real time. Mazraoui's knee vs Rudiger's right foot is a very close call.