• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
They don't have any of the strong feelings of nostalgia we older folk have.

Janky controls and inconveniences shouldn't really invoke feelings of positivity lol Not to mention early 3D consoles have aged the worst in terms of visuals. It would be like them going from the high speed internet we take for granted today back to dial-up. That stupid modem noise gives me warm fuzzy feelings whenever I hear it but to zoomers it'd probably just be like nails on a chalkboard.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
anyone fancy doing a quick summary of ages and widths of "generations"? I've never really understood it.

I always though boomers were people born post WW2 as populations re-bounded...so I'm like 20 years too young to be a boomer...but then I'm thankfully far too old to be a millenial.

Silent Generation - nursing home patients
Boomers - angry grandparents on Facebook
Gen X - miserable 50 year olds who will never be able to retire
Millennials - have too much student loan debt to buy a home
Gen Z - Billie Eilish and Lil Nas X
Gen Alpha - people who play Roblox

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
So op comes in and starts a thread based off a wild, uneducated, opinionated, stereotypical, incorrect ideas about millennials before abandoning the thread and leaving it for millennials to come in and fix the problem.
Yes this feels right.
KyIU51m.gif

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
As someone who grew up playing these games and now collects them...

...I don't care. If you're 20 this year, a fully formed adult human, the Atari 2600 predates you by more than your entire lifespan. It's clumsy, doesn't connect easily to modern TVs, hosts watered down arcade ports also more than twice your age and plays with an obstinate joystick and a single button. I love the 2600 but if you can't see why a 20 year old wouldn't, I don't know what to tell you. Living in a rose tinted bubble.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
I think Billie Eilish has the individuality and talent that millennials always wanted but could never achieve due to following cookie cutter trends like emo and hipster

What? I think she's a perfectly talented vocalist but her sound draws a lot from artists like Zola Jesus plus hipster isnt really a music trend.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Let younger folks enjoy games however the hell they want. I saw this same trend on Reddit like five years ago when people were forcing their kids to play the games they grew up with before they were "allowed" play the newest, fun titles. Stop gatekeeping and accept that the new generation is going to carve its place in this world without our input. Trying to gatekeep their path is extremely lame. The fact that you mentioned PS1, PS2, and PS3 leads me to believe you're probably in your 20s which makes you a youngster yourself. Hell, I'm in my 30s, grew up with an NES as my first console, and I still have people telling me that I'm young. And yet plenty of people on Era grew up with consoles older than that. Point is ... just let the current youngest generation do it's thing. Let them play what they want and drive their own trends just as everybody before them did.

On a side note, I'm actually extremely curious to see what Zoomers think about FF7R when it releases. I think it will be very good to get the opinions of people who didn't experience the original as kids and will judge that game as a stand-alone project and not a 2020 version of something they hold near & dear to their hearts. In a weird twist, I think their opinions will be far more valid than those clouded by nostalgia and an unwillingness to let the past go.

The gameplay side of FFR7 is made with them in mind, I'm sure they'll love it almost as much as we did the original back in the day (Im guess slightly less because theyre might be less fond of longer games maybe?).

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
I mean I was an outlier but outside of music how much older media does anyone really consume in their teens? It's not like my peers in highschoolbwere binging new wave films and film ages way better than say a ps1 game.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017

Janky controls and inconveniences shouldn't really invoke feelings of positivity lol Not to mention early 3D consoles have aged the worst in terms of visuals. It would be like them going from the high speed internet we take for granted today back to dial-up. That stupid modem noise gives me warm fuzzy feelings whenever I hear it but to zoomers it'd probably just be like nails on a chalkboard.

I hear that a lot, but I really enjoy the look of early 3D. I know it's just nostalgia - but boy do I get a strong kick out of it!
Just got into 3DO games and they remind me so much of early Windows 95 3d stuff, I love it.

The only real problem those games had was framerate, and that's a big one, I admit.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
On a side note, I'm actually extremely curious to see what Zoomers think about FF7R when it releases. I think it will be very good to get the opinions of people who didn't experience the original as kids and will judge that game as a stand-alone project and not a 2020 version of something they hold near & dear to their hearts. In a weird twist, I think their opinions will be far more valid than those clouded by nostalgia and an unwillingness to let the past go.

I wanna see these youths play FF7R and then get interested and see their reactions to playing the original. haha

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I feel old anytime somebody refers to PS1 games as retro/older games. I say this as a millennial whose first console was an Atari 5200.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I wanna see these youths play FF7R and then get interested and see their reactions to playing the original. haha
lol that would be something else for sure. I'm just curious how much they even care about in the first place. I wonder if the game even crosses their radar.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Let younger folks enjoy games however the hell they want. I saw this same trend on Reddit like five years ago when people were forcing their kids to play the games they grew up with before they were "allowed" play the newest, fun titles. Stop gatekeeping and accept that the new generation is going to carve its place in this world without our input. Trying to gatekeep their path is extremely lame. The fact that you mentioned PS1, PS2, and PS3 leads me to believe you're probably in your 20s which makes you a youngster yourself. Hell, I'm in my 30s, grew up with an NES as my first console, and I still have people telling me that I'm young. And yet plenty of people on Era grew up with consoles older than that. Point is ... just let the current youngest generation do it's thing. Let them play what they want and drive their own trends just as everybody before them did.

Zoomers don't play Final Fantasy period. It's a Boomer franchise at this point.

And I use the term boomer to refer to anything from before the Xbox One because it's much funnier that way.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017

Even nostalgia was better in the old days.

Nostalgia is tied to your childhood. I think the gamer babies of the 2000s will have plenty of memories to cling on to when they reach our ages.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I was born towards the end of the 8-bit era and I don't really care for games released around that time or before. I think it's the same for most people and generations.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Silent Generation - nursing home patients
Boomers - angry grandparents on Facebook
Gen X - miserable 50 year olds who will never be able to retire
Millennials - have too much student loan debt to buy a home
Gen Z - Billie Eilish and Lil Nas X
Gen Alpha - people who play Roblox
Ok thanks - this is exactly what I'm after - although I don't know who the Gen Z people are...I can google them I guess :-)

I'm 43 but feel much more aligned to Gen X....I think we were the original people that advertisers didnt know how to reach and so got the monniker "Gen X"?

Not long to go until I can genuinely just be angry all the time and then slip into a coma in a comfy chair in a nursing home...bliss!

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Are we talking about the games here or what?

'Cause I don't like to go back to the struggles of old hardware either, but the games can still be fantastic.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Give them a good arcade stick, challenge them at Track 'n Field and you won't believe their reaction !

But really, a lot of old games hold up perfectly well. Arcades especially

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
So? Most movie goers don't appreciate old silent movies, most TV viewers don't appreciate old variety shows featuring performers they'll never have heard of...who gives a shit? I'm an old fart, I loved my Commodore 64, I don't expect kids nowadays to give a shit about the old janky games I liked beyond being amused that it took 5 minutes to load the damn things.
Knowing or respecting the history of shit is not required to enjoy the current version of it, and doesn't make anyone less of a gamer/movie buff/tv viewer for not caring about it.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
As a filthy half-zoomer, half-millennial hybrid, I'll have you know I've played plenty of old games.

...I don't have a lot of patience for most NES games though.
I do love SMB3.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Way to assume all younger gamers do not appreciate older games. Personally I am a millenial (I am 32) who's first console was the NES and first game was Super Mario Bros.

Oct 27, 2017
Back in my day we didn't even have memory cards or savegames or passwords. We had to finish games in one sitting. You young whippersnappers and your newfangled cloud saves and fancy shit.

/s

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because of the SD>HD transition, I have better memories of the PS2/Gamecube era than the PS360.

"Old games" doesn't mean that much : "Bubble Bobble" is still fun to play when "Sword of Sodan" isn't.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
On the flip side, memory cards do suck but imagine being a kid growing up with all this dlc and freemium crap. Way worse.

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
Ok thanks - this is exactly what I'm after - although I don't know who the Gen Z people are...I can google them I guess :-)

I'm 43 but feel much more aligned to Gen X....I think we were the original people that advertisers didnt know how to reach and so got the monniker "Gen X"?

Not long to go until I can genuinely just be angry all the time and then slip into a coma in a comfy chair in a nursing home...bliss!
You are Gen X by the commonly used definition. It's usually people born between around 1965 and around 1980

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
From the replies in this thread you can see a lot of people over many generations not enjoying early videogames. Which is a shame because art isn't something that should be enjoyed only in its contemporary form. The original Super Mario Bros on NES is still fun to play. It may not control like a modern 2D platformer, but it's like adjusting to any other game. Take the game for what it is and enjoy it on those terms. Especially in this age were save states are officially supported on so many vintage games. This goes for pretty much all art too. With is just a little extra time put in to understand the context of a piece (a quick google search) and you can appreciate all eras. No need to be so dismissive of older games.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Most young people nowadays don't play games about pressing buttons. It's all about touchscreen and stuff like Mario is pretty hard for them.

Kids playing traditional consoles today are like the ones listening to Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin in the 90s, they need a parent/uncle/relative pushing it and being an influence.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I am a Millenial and I am all for the old days of the 2D glories.
But the beggining of the 3D era, yeah, baring some exceptions, it is awful (both visually, frame rate and controls).

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Kids playing traditional consoles today are like the ones listening to Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin in the 90s, they need a parent/uncle/relative pushing it and being an influence.

You mean the ones who post in youtube comment sections about how they hate their own generation and wish they were born when music was "real"?

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Title aside, I grew up playing Atari and moved on from there when my family had the money. Games have varied in playability since the SNES / Genesis. 99% of titles from the NES and before are unplayable now and were borderline unplayable then. We just dealt with the limitations and flaws.

PS1 / N64 games have also not aged very gracefully, but there are a few gems in there.

I'm not saying the old games you like are bad, but I'm saying games are consistently better now than they've ever been.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be 23 this year am I a millennial or a zoomer?

I play a lot of older games and tbh for me everything from SNES and onwards for me is still a lot of fun. NES is a little less so, like I'd much rather play Super Metroid than Metroid. Certain games like the original Castlevania are still awesome though.

In terms of PS1 and N64, maybe it's just because I had two older brothers but those consoles were around a lot when I was growing up and I think a lot of the games have aged fine. I'm very happy to play PS1 or N64 games as I think a lot of them are still great.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind.

i'll keep enjoying things others don't care. There so much gold to be found in old videogames.

Oct 27, 2017
i can't believe millennials MURDERED older games

"Older games didn't just die... they were murdered"

BRB I'm going to make a YouTube video.

Millenial has just become the word for "generation I don't like" at this point. Even other millenials are using it.

Yeah, basically this.

Okk, so I meant Zoomers or whatever. I thought Millennials is 2000 onwards. We all make mistakes.

But even so, the point of your topic feels confused. You're basically saying why don't people who grew up after thing like thing as much as those who grew up playing thing? And your point is even further diluted by including the PS3 in your generalisation.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Good for them. Modern game design is leagues ahead of old in most genres. Be happy that they are playing a Ratchet & Clank game where you can strafe and is in full control rather than having to out-jank bosses on the PS2. Better graphics, tighter controls, better camera, generally better writing etc. Modern games are more fun to play. Retro music still kicks ass though.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really like older games, I never go back to them. Even the ones I grew up with. I guess the only thing is World of Warcraft Classic but that's also kind of a current game.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I'm 32 and I don't give a f**k about pre-PS2 games, really. I don't have any nostalgia for them, I don't feel like I need to play some archaic titles. Some turn-based stuff may be an exception.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm a millenial and I'm not going out of my way to play Atari or Vectrex or C64 anything even though I grew up around those consoles. It's not that I don't appreciate them, they just aren't my cup of tea. I would assume any generation that comes after would be the same, like for my kids they don't play NES stuff very often when they could play Minecraft or Fortnite.