Jun 5, 2023
[
Playstation not beating PS4 isn't great, xbox under 1 million is ... not good.
I think there's more to this trend that just Xbox collapsing, but I don't have all the pieces yet. This does help explain why others are influencing Xbox decisions at Microsoft. The continued lack of results is becoming critical.

Everyone is down, Xbox significantly so, but I'm sure none of it is related right?

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Even then Nintendo plays in their own lane, so it's really only Sony. That makes me a tad bit worried, as a one person race is not good for any market let alone a high cost industry such as gaming. Costs are going up, Devs are getting slimmed down left and right plus risks are just not being taken for new ideas.

Gaming as a whole is in a very weird position right now. There is nothing, at the moment, pointing to Sony being arrogant and ignorant come later this gen/next gen but with less competition naturally there is less pressure.

I don't understand the worry over this when consoles overall are a stagnant area of growth in players. Even if all Xbox gamers shift to PlayStation next gen it's still proven to be a limited audience.

In other words, PlayStation still will have to be competitive with their console, while also finding ways to reach players increasingly preferring playing on PC and mobile.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Wow, that is insane. I'm guessing the game pass subs are higher on PC?

Looking forward to a 700 dollar PS6 and 100 dollar games.
who-else-feels-nostalgic-for-old-game-ads-v0-3lv72gn71lyb1.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't done any marketing outside of a game launch. The only way you increase Game Pass subs is to increase hardware sales the only way you increase hardware sales is exclusives.
You are vastly underestimating the cost of marketing in the spaces you're talking about. To put things into perspective, a movie with a $300 million dollar budget allocates over $150 million dollars for marketing budget alone. For ONE movie. Over a limited window of 2 months or less.

What you're talking about would involve hundreds of millions beyond that, especially to sustain year-round.

And Nintendo/Sony don't even market the way you're saying Xbox needs to, but they're still completely lapping MS.

Microsoft execs will absolutely never sign off on nearly billion dollar annual marketing extravaganzas while already being so deep in the hole with hardware and acquisitions at this point. The reality is they have begun the process of transitioning to third party with games like Hi Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves because the quickest path to profit recovery is reaching the biggest player base possible with their wealth of best performing IPs.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Just because a thing was a certain way in the past doesn't mean everyone wants it back.
No one said they wanted it back. Games have always been expensive and different editions of games are already in the $100 range.
It's just crazy to me that people see this news and automatically go "hope you like $700 PS6 consoles and $100 games"

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Were people supposed to keep equally buying two consoles that share 98% of the games, have the same hardware, but one has no exclusive games and fewer, less appealing first party software?
It was a miracle that modern Xbox and Playstation could co-exist for so much time.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I do believe if they are changing business model - and even for the potential new hardware in whatever form it may be - the "golden trio" of Spencer, Booty and Greenberg gotta go. New faces and outlook are crucial.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I think there's more to this trend that just Xbox collapsing, but I don't have all the pieces yet. This does help explain why others are influencing Xbox decisions at Microsoft. The continued lack of results is becoming critical.

Everyone is down, Xbox significantly so, but I'm sure none of it is related right?

Maybe Playstation and Xbox are just staying the same.
Playstation 5 is basically the same as PS4, maybe Xbox Series is also basically the same as Xbox one.
Of course this still might be kinda good for Playstation, but kinda bad for Xbox.
For the long run both things are in no way perfect.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Switch. Mobile phones. PC gaming with many storefronts. Numerous handheld options (steamdeck, RoG Ally, etc). Gaming directly from TVs via steaming (GeForce Now, Apple Arcade etc). Niche retro gaming portables.

There are plenty of options for all tastes.
I think the only actual direct competition is PC. I think the lines between mobile and console/PC gaming is blurring but will take some more years to actually meld and Nintendo has created its own submarket which was the entire point in the first place. Carving out your own niche is done expressively so that you can make your own rules and you don't have to compete as directly and that's exactly what will happen here. The product segments are becoming too bespoke. I believe Sony will try and push their PC presence even more and eventually try another handheld . These don't overlap as much as we think they do. just because it's all technically "gaming"

mouser

Apr 4, 2024
As if Xbox is keeping them in check now…

10$ game price increase
PS plus price increase
Console price increase 2 years into the gen.

Is this a straight up joke?

10$ game price increase- the publishers wanted this and MS did the exact same thing once they actually had a next gen game to sell, so not a Sony thing
PS plus price increase- MS upped the price of their services more than Sony until they tried to get game pass widely adopted with unsustainable pricing
Console price increase 2 years into the gen- So did MS even while their system sold like shit compared to Sony

jeromeSF

Nov 2, 2017
Keep in mind that Xbox historically performs much better over the holidays, especially this fall where Call of Duty will launch on Game Pass day one. You should expect these numbers to change dramatically as the investments start paying off.

Yes, millions of people are going to buy a $500 console to have the ability to pay $17 a month to play a $70 game

Oct 28, 2017

Yep, I and I like Phil. But as I stated in another thread, I bet Phil is done as the head of Xbox by Christmas of 2025. I mean, the output of Xbox Studios when he was in charge was awful. Now the performance of the Xbox Console with him in charge of Xbox, not great. He will be known for GamePass, a positive face and messages during adversity, and spending billions on acquisitions.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the only actual direct competition is PC. I think the lines between mobile and console/PC gaming is blurring but will take some more years to actually meld and Nintendo has created its own submarket which was the entire point in the first place. Carving out your own niche is done expressively so that you can make your own rules and you don't have to compete as directly and that's exactly what will happen here. The product segments are becoming too bespoke. I believe Sony will try and push their PC presence even more and eventually try another handheld . These don't overlap as much as we think they do. just because it's all technically "gaming"

I feel the long con of all this was Nintendo managing to actually convince everyone that it is in their own lane. And I don't think people realize how brilliant it truly is (and funny)

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Yep, I and I like Phil. But as I stated in another thread, I bet Phil is done as the head of Xbox by Christmas of 2025. I mean, the output of Xbox Studios when he was in charge was awful. Now the performance of the Xbox Console with him in charge of Xbox, not great. He will be known for GamePass, a positive face and messages during adversity, and spending billions on acquisitions.
dont worry he is already the head of "microsoft gaming". dude cant lose
totally expect him to somehow fall his way to satya's post before the decade is over. its an incredible journey to watch.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So maybe 900k sold, which means Series S is probably around 600k with Series X around 300k.The Xbox Series X really is an incredible piece of hardware, and yet no one is buying it.

Microsoft isn't staying in the hardware business for very long if they continue to sell less than 1 million units per quarter. The same people that shut down Tango and Arkane will do the same thing to Xbox hardware.

I'm wondering how much the idiotic naming scheme and carrying over the same controller is affecting sales. Even though the underlying hardware is completely different, the naming scheme and controller kind of make it feel like a spiritual continuation of the Xbox One generation.

Day one PC games don't help. Neither did focusing on Game Pass, xCloud, and subscriptions and services over the past 6 years instead of the Xbox itself.

Microsoft has no one to blame but themselves for this. The poor sales are a direct outcome of their decisions.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
So people think they are going to stay in hardware even though the rest of the business is going wrong. I don't think anyone thinks that.
I'm just saying they don't have to stop doing hardware. Xbox has sold well in the past and can do it again. I have no idea what their plan is but I hope they stay in console business instead of going exclusively software.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
We have a better product than Sony does, not just on hardware but equally important on the software platform and services on top of the hardware.
We have the ingredients of a winning plan.
I felt the feedback from the BoD discussion on being too confident and maybe this will just reinforce that perception,
I get the need to be humbly confident but today was a good day for us.

level

May 25, 2023
I'm just saying they don't have to stop doing hardware. Xbox has sold well in the past and can do it again. I have no idea what their plan is but I hope they stay in console business instead of going exclusively software.

No offence, but I think there's a lot of delusion going on here. We'll see what the future holds but to me, it seems obvious that it's full on third party publisher.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen this kind of sentiment here and there but I just don't buy it. Sony struggled to reach their 25M target this FY because times are tough and it's an expensive machine to buy (and produce, therefore cost reduce). They're not going to go into next gen feeling like they can just think of a number and run with it, it'll have to be on the same basis as always - make the best trade off between cost and power to appeal as much as possible. If PSSR, frame gen and other potential tech helps keep the raw power requirements down it might even be possible to see a cheaper ps6 vs ps5, that's a real possibility.

Very much so and yet more again when Nintendo's next device drops. Nintendo have to be prepping to embrace 3rd party to a degree not seen for time if the unit is capable of presentable versions of pretty much all multiplats. It's too big an opportunity to miss out on if MS are headed in a different direction with boutique/OEM hardware sold at a profit that everyone seems to be convinced by not to try and move in more on Sony.
This is a good point.

Sony missed a lofty target, even after revising down.

Why in thee world would they make a $700 PS6?
Wow, that is insane. I'm guessing the game pass subs are higher on PC?

who-else-feels-nostalgic-for-old-game-ads-v0-3lv72gn71lyb1.jpg
Thank you, if you had a N64 prices actually went down, lol.

Deleted member 16990

User requested account closure
Banned
May 13, 2024

The damage is done, the only way they could salvage this would be a fire sale and some massive improvements to the ecosystem which they won't do.

L11ghtman

Jan 19, 2022
The damage is done, the only way they could salvage this would be a fire sale and some massive improvements to the ecosystem which they won't do.
If they made Call of Duty exclusive that might do it. But they can't, legally. I wonder if they had been able to get the deal done without contracts if they would have tried that.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't think they'll get out of hardware any time soon but it does highlight why it will soon become only a secondary or tertiary component of their overall strategy (akin to MS365/Azure/and then Windows/Surface PCs).

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, we really should've taken the Don Mattrick timeline instead.

You could argue the issues started with him. Someone high up saw it fit to oust the old guard that started the 360 generation, putting Don in charge who turned attention to Kinect, Movies & TV and the NFL deal.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Sad. In a better world both PlayStation and Xbox would thrive and compete with each other.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I honestly think there's a decent chance making call of duty exclusive would just kill call of duty.
Yeah it would make CoD very weak cutting off a big section of your consumer base. That was never on the cards unless you want to cause suicide to your brand. The reason to CoDs success it that it's on everything the players are. People moaning that FF isn't multiplatform and the reason for it not building its market share yet here we are people hoping CoD could somehow avoid it.

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh
Yeah it would make CoD very weak cutting off a big section of your consumer base. That was never on the cards unless you want to cause suicide to your brand. The reason to CoDs success it that it's on everything the players are. People moaning that FF isn't multiplatform and the reason for it not building its market share yet here we are people hoping CoD could somehow avoid it.
That argument makes way less sense for final fantasy anyway since the ps1 and 2 days were kinda the height of it and it was exclusive

Deleted member 16990

User requested account closure
Banned
May 13, 2024
You could argue the issues started with him. Someone high up saw it fit to oust the old guard that started the 360 generation, putting Don in charge who turned attention to Kinect, Movies & TV and the NFL deal.

True but he was also able to get us a full launch line up whereas in Phil's case, we got nothing.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Well misery for Xbox. Sony kinda needs this more and certainly to compete against Nintendo

Well, yeah, but specifically for all of the infrastructure, teams/studios, and employees under MS that are all currently employed for the intent of keeping a console afloat. I'm terrified for what the divisions are going to look like even 16 months from now.