• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, I love BOTW and I also loved Wind Waker and Skyward Sword, but I happened across this tech demo and holy shit I'd love see a fully fleshed out Zelda title with this visual style.

Everything looks so crisp and detailed. The reflections are pretty wild too.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh, I hope not. It's pretty, but it looks exactly like what it is to me - a tech demo. There's nothing really "inspired" about it, it just looks like "yeah that's a Zelda game, alright."

I feel like this is basically just the Ocarina and Twilight Princess art styles (yes I know they're a bit different, but you know what I mean) with a higher pixel count or something. We've already seen that Zelda, if you know what I mean.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it looks like a higher res Twilight Princess with more advanced lighting.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It looks like someone used twilight princes assets in a generic unreal 4 demo.

in other words, I hope not

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh, I hope not. It's pretty, but it looks exactly like what it is to me - a tech demo. There's nothing really "inspired" about it, it just looks like "yeah that's a Zelda game, alright."
Yeah, today watching this vid has the same effect to me as watching the old GC Zelda tech demo does

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After Botw 2 I would imagine. We'll need a change in style by that point. It's been lighthearted after lighthearted style for a while now.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Probably not. It's clearly based on Twilight princess, and Nintendo doesn't generally revisit art styles outside of direct sequels, and it's likely too late for that to happen.

Plus it probably wouldn't work as well for the open air design as a more abstracted style like BOTW has.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Zelda series shakes up the art style pretty often, I imagine they'll take another shot at realism eventually.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to have a real TP HD remaster in that style.

After Botw 2 I would imagine. We'll need a change in style by that point. It's been lighthearted after lighthearted style for a while now.

To be fair, mummy ganondorf looks way more realistic and creepy than anything TP had to offer (and that was quite a lot). I think that style suits Zelda more than Twilight Princess' style (and I love that style and TP to death, mind you)

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope not. The BotW style is absolutely perfect, a more realistic Zelda will just never look as good.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Can't say I'd care too much. BotW's style is way more my speed and I'd rather they stick to less realistic and more abstract styles. But as long as its interesting looking I'm fine either way.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I hope not, it looks like a big downgrade (artistically speaking) from what they did with BotW, obviously a tech demo it's about tech so it makes sense, but for a full game I'd expect something more unique.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I hope not. I liked TP when I was younger, but Zelda really shines when the artstyle isn't realistic, and colors aren't all drab/dark.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, I love BOTW and I also loved Wind Waker and Skyward Sword, but I happened across this tech demo and holy shit I'd love see a fully fleshed out Zelda title with this visual style.

Everything looks so crisp and detailed. The reflections are pretty wild too.

Last I remember, This demo wasn't done by the zelda team. This was done in the states. It was a tech demo, way too overdone.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not this, but I'd kill for a Zelda game with the Shadow of the Colossus remake style.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather see a style resembling the official art for Majora's Mask. You know, the more comic-inspired artstyle with heavy, black shading over colorful, cartoony characters. It really fit the darker, more surreal vibe that game had and I hated to see the 3DS remake throw it away in favor of a style more consistent with Ocarina of Time.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Hopefully Nintendo runs away as fast as they can from that artstyle. Never liked it, something stylized like BOTW or Link's Awakening is much better.

Apr 21, 2018
Maybe if Nintendo goes bankrupts and some generic western 3rd party makes a Zelda using the Unreal engine.

(I would actually dig this art style if it was done with the top-down view)

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly certain that both Aonuma and Miyamoto have gone on record saying that they really don't like realistic art styles for Zelda. Twilight Princess only looked the way it did because of the backlash to Wind Waker's art style, and besides, TP is pretty much universally agreed to be incredibly ugly today.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I find Twilight Princess to be the most drab Zelda game artistically so definitely not for me. (I mean I'd still buy it, I'd just prefer almost anything else.)

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Art artstyle doesn't really look fleshed out. BotW looks better and I love what they did with it.

That said, I'd absolutely be up for a Zelda game with a darker artstyle. Diversity is great. I'm sure they can do better than this demo.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see them tackle the impressionistic style of Skyward Sword again, but with hardware that can do it justice. Those swirly backgrounds were great.

Idontwantit

Alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2019
I think they nailed the art with botw. So they should keep that. Hopefully we get the original demo as actual visuals with Switch 2.

DistantSameEuropeanfiresalamander-size_restricted.gif

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah I kind of dont ever want to see that style come back. I think some variation of BotW should be the template going forward although I'm sure Nintendo will change things up like they always do.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it'll happen on the Switch, but I hope we'll get a game with a less cartoony style again eventually. Zelda has a history of changing its visual style between games, and the last time we got anything new resembling this was back in 2006 with Twilight Princess. Maybe 2026 would be a good time to try again.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks like someone used twilight princes assets in a generic unreal 4 demo.

in other words, I hope not

It does indeed use Twilight Princess assets. It was the Zelda teams first experience of HD development.

I think it's very pretty but ultimately think they nailed the art of Zelda with BotW. I hope they stick with that.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe but I think the Zelda team really like the more cartoonish/anime styles they have doing over the past several years. They really liked what they did with Wind Waker and back then they even expressed their desire to continue with that style. Even with Twilight Princess, you can see that they were trying to put in stylized elements in, even within a more "realistic" Zelda game. Ultimately, the sales of Breath of the Wild and even something like Fortnite that the market is completely comfortable with the cartoon style so I think they will keep with it.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nah

What i want to see however, is BOTW style in a console as powerful as the ps4 pro

If they milked BOTW from a wii u, i cannot imagine what that would look like