• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Hours before it's release too.

How did Mario 3D World run on a Wii U emulator back then/now?

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
...Doesn't Bowser's Fury run @ 60FPS on Switch already? It's just handheld that's 30FPS

Oct 31, 2017
They also said just recently on twitter that apparently resolution scaling (THE major feature Yuzu is currently missing) is supposed to be just around the corner.

Err, misleading title? There are several points where the frames just completely freeze.
And the misleading part in the title would be?
At no point anyone claimed that the emulation was flawless.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Since this post I immediately went to look up new videos of Deadly Premonition 2 on Yuzu. Still not fully there yet, but hopefully someday!

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Having it already be up before the game is even released makes me think these guys are sketchy

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Per the description, this is on a 4790k.

Madness.
4790k from my understanding is still among the CPUs with the highest single core performance, which is the kind of performance emulators need to run fast.

I bought mine in 2015 because it was the best for emulators like Dolphin at the time, and even today I simply can't justify upgrading my 6-year-old PC because it's just too good... I really should try some Switch emulation on it one day, if it really does run that well.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
They also said just recently on twitter that apparently resolution scaling (THE major feature Yuzu is currently missing) is supposed to be just around the corner.

And the misleading part in the title would be?
At no point anyone claimed that the emulation was flawless.
Maybe I don't understand fps terminology well enough. But uh when 10+ frames in a row are just straight up missing that doesn't seem like "running 3D World + Bowser's Fury at 60fps" to me?? I guess it might just be semantics but it feels disingenuous.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I don't understand fps terminology well enough. But uh when 10+ frames in a row are just straight up missing that doesn't seem like "running 3D World + Bowser's Fury at 60fps" to me?? I guess it might just be semantics but it feels disingenuous.
Yeah, if a game came out and devs said 60 fps but when it came out and had massive frame drops and slowdown people would be calling it out as misleading.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Great stuff, can't wait until yuzu gets resolution scaling or the other emulator is more stable so we can free these beautiful games from the shackles of switch hardware and 720p

Also the game launched early in many places so ya know fuck off with the emulator hate

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if a game came out and devs said 60 fps but when it came out and had massive frame drops and slowdown people would be calling it out as misleading.

That's been happening for generations and i've never seen anyone call it misleading
people just say the game has framerate drops and maybe start asking for patches or ports to stronger consoles or PC's

I'm specifically getting flashbacks to Ninja Gaiden 2 vanilla here, that could drop from 60 straight to the low teens or single digits

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
Still very playable tbh.

Impressive, we're not that far from Switch's launch to be having this good of an emulator.

The temptation to hack my Switch to dump my entire cartridge library to play with rises.
I'm not trying to argue that it's not playable. It is quite clearly in more than a playable state. It's why I said "misleading title" as opposed to "THIS IS AN OUTRIGHT LIE."

Dec 2, 2020
...Doesn't Bowser's Fury run @ 60FPS on Switch already? It's just handheld that's 30FPS

Yeah with drops during certain sections but mostly a locked 60. The issue for some is that it's dynamic 792p (mostly 720p) even when docked.

Hopefully the Switch Pro is out by the end of the year for those that care about good image quality because even if it doesn't use DLSS it should still be enough of an upgrade to hit 1080p in most games when docked.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game leaked on some retailers not too long ago. It's pretty shut to immediately jump to "they're pirates!" as if it's not unlikely someone on the team got an early copy.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Era emulator threads always have these bitter posts. Shit's wild.

Nice to see this project improving.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to argue that it's not playable. It is quite clearly in more than a playable state. It's why I said "misleading title" as opposed to "THIS IS AN OUTRIGHT LIE."
I get your point. Also, as many pointed out already, Yuzu is probably caching shaders at those points. Same thing happens with Cemu and Citra.

You can pre-download shaders packs under normal circumstences when you want to avoid that but the game is obviously too new for that to happen.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not misleading if you're familiar with the terminology

The term for a stable framerate with no drops or issues is usually "locked"
the title would be

Yuzu (Switch emulator) running Mario 3D World+Bowser's Fury at locked 60fps day 1

"locked" wasn't used so anybody who's aware of its usage would not be surprised to see some drops

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man I missed out on how much progress Switch emulation has been making.

Oct 31, 2017
It's not misleading if you're familiar with the terminology

The term for a stable framerate with no drops or issues is usually "locked"
the title would be

Yuzu (Switch emulator) running Mario 3D World+Bowser's Fury at locked 60fps day 1

"locked" wasn't used so anybody who's aware of its usage would not be surprised to see some drops
These asterisks are also mostly redundant.
It's running on a very dated CPU here, and in OGL mode rather than in Vulkan with async shader compilation (which is typically the best performing back end).
Chances are it can already perform a lot better than what's being showed here in more ideal conditions.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Err, misleading title? There are several points where the frames just completely freeze.
That could just be the emulator caching shaders. Dolphin, Cemu, Yuzu, Ryujinx, and RPCS3 have to cache shaders whenever a new one comes up, which can result in momentary stutters or frame drops depending on the game and the settings people are using. The emulators tend to have toggles to alleviate this, but it can lead to texture and model pop-in until everything is cached.

Or it could just be frame drops. I'd be more inclined to think the former, though.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
And Ryujinx boots it too, which has resolution scaling (and online play)!
Ryujinx also recently met their goals to implement Vulkan, which should be in by April.

Two very promising emulation projects.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
...I should upgrade my PC. Switch games are going to be running better on emulator on release in a couple years

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
The game has been playable on Ryujinx since the very second it was leaked.

It's worth mentioning that Ryujinx was playing the game at 60FPS and 4K before the game was even out.

While a lot of people that are not part of the emulation scene won't understand what shader caching is. It's perfectly normal for games to have "lag" every time a new effect is rendered as that is caching the shader that has been translated by the emulator.

Ryu is making big progress versus Yuzu and has quite a few advantages such as Resolution Scaling, Multiplayer with a real Switch as well as more Game Compabilitiy.

I know emulation is looked down on ERA, but as someone that is super passionate about playing his legally dumped games with a way higher resolution and 60FPS as well as Texture Packs, Filters, Modifications it's incredible to see the progress happen in real time.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
i havent updated my second (hacked) switch in a while wonder if i need to be on the most recent firmware to dump the cart

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure those freezes are due to caching shaders. Once everything is fully cached it'll most likely run perfectly you can tell by the freezes it only happens when looking in a "new" area.

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
4790k from my understanding is still among the CPUs with the highest single core performance, which is the kind of performance emulators need to run fast.

I bought mine in 2015 because it was the best for emulators like Dolphin at the time, and even today I simply can't justify upgrading my 6-year-old PC because it's just too good... I really should try some Switch emulation on it one day, if it really does run that well.

Not when it comes to emulation, the CPU is super outdated and lacks a lot of instructions.

With a Ryzen 3600 which i would argue is the gold standard for best value CPUs you get far more performance.

I have a Ryzen 3700x, RTX 3080 and 32GB 3600 Ram and the game runs amazing for me at 4K something that i just can't experience on my Switch. I don't necessarily mind too much playing it on the TV but i struggle playing on the Switch itself as my eyes start blurring with most games, as soon as i stop playing switch it takes me a couple of hours for my eyes to be able to read things properly (Almost definitely something i should look into?)

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is an ancient game, all things considered. I would be shocked if it didn't work day and date with release.