• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Look, I'm one of the weird people who still likes cable. I actually spend 70 bucks on ATT's weird new thing. I'm pretty sure I'm locked down on it for like, a year.

But I ditched YouTube TV because they didn't have the channels I wanted. Sure, I could have done Philo and Youtube TV but that costs too dang much.

Good luck, YouTubeTV, you'll need it.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
At that price I should just get fucking cable TV again.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I had to stop using streaming cable services as it seems like all of them just keep going up in price massive amounts. As of right now I just went back to regular cable at a package with most channels for like 40 dollars extra a month with my internet plan, as I was okay with 40 a month.

Oct 25, 2017
Well shoot—I was preparing to subscribe next month for the baseball season.

Is Hulu TV the only worthwhile cable-streaming alternative?

Oct 25, 2017
Death throws of an ancient medium expecting the same money for an obsolete format.
I don't know if i believe this, maybe on circles like ERA but there's still a massive demand for live TV for people who enjoy sports, which is like most of America

This news does suck though I am lucky enough to be able to split it with a buddy so it's prob still less expensive

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Is there anyone who could justify this? Like...the quality on cable is higher and you likely get a better deal with your ISP.

MrPoppins

Oct 27, 2017
Silicon Valley - CA
My parents's just switched to Youtube TV last year because it saved them about 20 dollars a month over their cable company. This pretty much wipes out the price advantage over standard cable.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Why is ala carte so goddamn hard for these companies to understand? Let me pay 20 bucks for the channels I actually want instead of the 0 that you're now going to get.

Of course they get it. This bundling is exactly how they make gangbusters.

Youtube is just becoming its enemy now that it's entrenched.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The only saving grace for streaming cable services was you could get sports. With no sports, its basically the same as having a couple of content services.

Bend

Oct 27, 2017
I subscribed a month to each a few years ago to test them all, I think Sling was 25 and Youtube was 35. Stuck with Sling, crazy that they've only gone up 5 dollars in the same time it took Youtube to go up 30. Neither ever seemed worth it but we still like having some form of broadcast TV

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I cancelled when the virus ended sports... Probably not going back now.

Yup, same ere. Hilarious that all these internet TV companies were propped up as cheaper alternatives to cable, but then they jacked the prices up.

I was only using it to watch the NBA, but I cancelled when everything got hit by the virus. Likely will not be resubscribing at these prices, which is shame because YoutubeTV was so good for the NBA. Loved it's game recap features. At this price though, i can probably bundle in TV with my internet for cheaper with fucking COMCAST.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Never knew this was a thing. I pay less than that for my cable which also includes HBO...

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
oh hell no. just canceled. that is a waste of money. no wonder why vue went belly up.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, same ere. Hilarious that all these internet TV companies were propped up as cheaper alternatives to cable, but then they jacked the prices up.

I was only using it to watch the NBA, but I cancelled when everything got hit by the virus. Likely will not be resubscribing at these prices.
It should be noted that 2 factors are prob gonna keep me on this for NBA stuff:
They're the only provider with NBA TV and
You can have up to 3 users (i split my bill with a buddy)

So it's prob still the cheapest option sadly

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to join PlayStation Vue in the coffin if Google keeps this up.

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This blows. YTtv is by far one of the easiest and user friendly streaming apps to use but no fucking way im paying $65 a month for it.

Subscription re-upped a few days ago. Will enjoy it while it lasted

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, no. Youtube TV can't be worth more than every streaming service I'm subscribed to combined.

This would make it more expensive than adding cable service for me, at least for the first 2 years.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing with cord cutting. It winds up being less convenient, but you pay close to the same since prices keep going up anyways. The only advantage is you can subscribe and unsubscribe more easily but you lose out on a more consistent UI, and probably lose out on a few channels too. $65/mo is a lot though.

They're probably being pressured to increase the price thanks to the channels wanting higher fees, but considering how well they've handled the Google Fiber deployment I'm not really convinced this is going to be sticking around for so long, especially as a competitive option.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Youtube TV living long enough to become the villain, I see.

It's a tough call - I really like the service, the ability to run it on an iPad or something else is really handy since I don't watch a lot of TV. But at this price point, it may be cheaper to just go back to cable.

It's a shame. I liked not having a stupid cable box plugged in.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Gah, this is a tough choice... do I go back to regular Comcast cable now? Only reason I have YouTube TV is cause it had the CW channel and I like to watch all the dorky superhero shows live. I also like being able to watch tv on all my devices and wherever I am, even in different states.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bad like any other cable service now. I'm so glad I just stream everything now. But my house still pays for cable because my grandpa doesn't want to learn anything new.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
These days I pretty much just sub to a service like this long enough to watch Better Call Saul. That price is garbage. You might as well just take whatever deal the cable company offers you at that point.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

I was only using it to watch the NBA, but I cancelled when everything got hit by the virus. Likely will not be resubscribing at these prices, which is shame because YoutubeTV was so good for the NBA. Loved it's game recap features. At this price though, i can probably bundle in TV with my internet for cheaper with fucking COMCAST.
right, same with me i just wanted to watch some bball and some espn thats it

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
At that price, is everything free/available? Like movies? What are you getting with this?

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
That's a very big price jump. One of my friends is paying Comcast around $100ish after tax for 200mbps down internet with 1 HDTV box with most of the channels so I don't see how this is a better deal. He can also stream TV on his iPad wherever he goes I believe!

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Next month when they look at the subscribers:

"Wha...Dave the numbers just fell off a fucking cliff! You told me this would be fine!!!"

That is a ridiculous hike for an online service. Especially in the middle of a pandemic. This is pretty much sealing it's own fate. Someone needs the book taken away from them.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Why is ala carte so goddamn hard for these companies to understand? Let me pay 20 bucks for the channels I actually want instead of the 0 that you're now going to get.

It's not that they don't understand, it's more just the corporate and contractual structure of how TV is produced and sold. It hasn't really caught up to the internet age yet.

...The hell is YouTube TV?

Internet based cable alternative

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
All of these companies will always been within reach of cable prices, but just a bit cheaper. It's just the nature of what it is. I'm not sure why this always shocks people so much.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to join PlayStation Vue in the coffin if Google keeps this up.
Content providers:
keikaku.jpg