• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Okapi

May 31, 2019
The Wanderer Set is the only Dark Souls 1 starting class set (beside cleric) missing from Dark Souls 3.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Every time a Western/Japanese game introduces an Eastern European character with an outlandishly pronounced last name.

Mankind Divided's main antagonist was a Ukrainian merc with a last name MarchEnko, with a stress being on the "E". As someone who grew up in an apartment named after a Soviet tank commander MArchenko who was the first to drive into the city during the offensive to take it back from the Germans, I know that the stress needs to be on the "A". The "stress the second last syllable of of every Easter European name" is a Polish convention (they do that for literally. every. word.) that doesn't apply to other languages. But ALL non-Eastern European devs keep doing it. annoys the hell out of me every time.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Many Japanese games do this, I'm thinking about the Yakuza series for example : a (loud) sound effect every time you skip to the next dialogue text box. So reading through a text-only cut scene sounds like "TICK, TICK, TICK, TICK, TICK, TICK, TICK". Sometimes less is better. Just don't put a sound effect there, I don't need an audio feedback to be aware that I'm reading a new text box after I've pressed a button to skip the previous one.

Last edited:

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Unless you live in Japan

(I don't)

this is not true. PlayStation does X to confirm O to cancel in every game.

I just tested God of War, Spiderman, Until Dawn, and the God of War artwork thing (by accident). Until Dawn was the only one to use X to advance.

I used circle to advance the main PS4 UI which, if anything is going to set a system standard, then that sure seems like what it should be.

x is used by literally everyone else to back out.

But whatever, clearly I was exaggerating for effect. I suppose a more specific bugbear is "I hate that developers can't agree on standard buttons for 'advance' and 'cancel'."

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
(I don't)

I just tested God of War, Spiderman, Until Dawn, and the God of War artwork thing (by accident). Until Dawn was the only one to use X to advance.

I used circle to advance the main PS4 UI which, if anything is going to set a system standard, then that sure seems like what it should be.

But whatever, clearly I was exaggerating for effect. I suppose a more specific bugbear is "I hate that developers can't agree on standard buttons for 'advance' and 'cancel'."
But the UI also uses X to advance.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Knuckles in Sonic Mania is based on his Chaotix sprite, which looks shit. Also, he is too pink and sonic is the wrong shade of blue.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm playing God of War PS4 right now and I really don't like the fast travel system. It's kinda cool that the game masks the load times with an "in between realm" of sorts where some interesting dialogue can take place, but having to travel to the stone gateways is so backwards imo. Just let me open the map and select where I want to go... All Kratos has to do is raise his hand with the gateway stone and have a door to the "between realm" appear. It's a video game. It'll work.
Agreed completely. The fast-travel never felt "fast" because it always involved backtracking to a gate, plus it just never felt like there were enough gates put into the game to fast-travel to. I felt like I was still running around way too much either finding a gate or trying to get from a gate to the actual point on the map that I wanted to get to.

And the wonkiness between each swing.
This isn't someone being bad at the game, it's just how it is!

This is not how it is at all. There's occasional wonkiness but this video is just someone playing the game bad on purpose like they're making a dunkey vid.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Biggest nitpick I have - is with VOICE OVERS.

I know some games, mainly indie games, not having voice overs, but a game like Zelda and Donkey Kong and even Mario games - with no Voice Overs? Its 2020.

Also I have an issue with silent protagonist. Takes away so much from the game - I need more personality - and games like Half Life, GTAIII and Dead Space 1 and all...very annoying, when everybody else in the game talks and talks a lot but your main character is a MUTE. Doesn't make any sense to me. Argh. Very frustrating.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
When combat music has vocals.

Most egregious example I can think of is DMC4 where the same song is used for the entire game and it always starts from the beginning. Also the song is terrible which doesn't help.

Laurel

Oct 29, 2017
recently playing AC odyssey on ps4. You can open the map with the touch pad but if you press it again it will bring up the legend instead of closing it. WTF

Dec 6, 2017
US
I don't even think it is but I've been told in some (non-ERA) posts about it that I'm being nitpicky and should get over it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dark Souls Remastered's ambient sound issues not being f'ing patched and seemingly not being noticed by more than like 10 vocal people online. I'm exaggerating but yeah...

It's keeping me from buying it and enjoying it with glorious ReShade settings right now, arghhhh. It appears I cannot get over it and am indeed Mr. Nitpick.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing Life is Strange Season 2 and I have an extreme nitpick. When it comes to the pronunciation of the word 'a', the voice actor for Daniel keeps saying 'aye' instead of 'uh'. For example, "am I aye monster?" It's really grating.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
The truck in death stranding doesn't have a horn, every time the game updates i hope to see it mentioned in the patch notes.

How else am i going to be a post apocalyptic long haul truck driver without a horn to blow for the non existent children?

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
Subtitles never being in the same options menu in games, some games is Accessibility, some Video, some Visuals, like, make up your mind and choose one place developers.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I really really hate the font used in the first 2 Wild Arms games.

yCRARo3_d.jpg

I hate how "pointy" some letters are. Dunno, this font rubs me the wrong way for some weird reason.

Aug 13, 2019
When a game doesn't give me the option to turn on subtitles or access options before starting

Games that don't let me pause cutscenes (With the exception of MMOs)

More specifically, in Judgment street fights don't actually start until the gang name fades away, so when I'm running toward a group I can't hit them with my running attacks because they have to go through their animations, which I can't interrupt.

That's really odd. The only games I know to use Circle to advance are typically Japanese. Gundam Breaker 3, a game I imported, is the only one that does. Horizon Zero Dawn, Judgment, Spider-Man, and Dragon Ball Fighterz all use X to advance. And while I don't have God of War anymore, I'm sure it used X when I played, it's the standard in just about every western game. It's also pretty weird that you can use Circle to advance the PS4's main menu because I don't think westerners have the option to change from the default X.

It could be that your PS4 is from Asia, which would explain the swapped buttons. If that's the case, then it's probably a localization issue. Some devs probably didn't swap the buttons for eastern release like they should. That's got to be incredibly frustrating.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
When a game doesn't give me the option to turn on subtitles or access options before starting

Games that don't let me pause cutscenes (With the exception of MMOs)

First of all, seconded and seconded! Not sure how this is still a thing.

That's really odd. The only games I know to use Circle to advance are typically Japanese. [Snip] It's also pretty weird that you can use Circle to advance the PS4's main menu because I don't think westerners have the option to change from the default X.

It could be that your PS4 is from Asia, which would explain the swapped buttons.

Do you know, the more I think about it the more that's not only possible, but maybe likely.

I bought a 500 Million Limited Edition (was very late into PlayStation this gen - which has been awesome, by the way!)

I don't live in Japan, the USA or Europe and so I had to import. I have a slight inkling this came from Japan? Did they all?

f that's the case, then it's probably a localization issue. Some devs probably didn't swap the buttons for eastern release like they should. That's got to be incredibly frustrating.

Yeah it sucks man. There's no consistency.

And now I'm worried that when I get my Westernised PS5, and I have to go back to X to advance, I'm going to have all sorts of readjustment issues!

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

It appears you have a Japanese PS4, or perhaps one from another Asian territory.

PlayStation only uses Circle to advance on Japanese systems. This is why you are having the problem you are having. :O

Edit: Ah, I'm late.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this is more weird than nitpicky but the custom character option in Divinity 2 makes me feel paralyzed. I legit haven't been able to start because of it, I'm terrible with picking between lots of options.

Oct 27, 2017
Anime fan service, anime shit in general. Scantily clad, questionable aged still frames of anime girls usually with angel wings or something, filling the whole screen while doing a special attack. I hate it and it's one of the reasons I avoid most things Japanese anymore especially jrpgs and stuff. Playing Luminous Avenger and in between every level I am reminded that I hate every aspect of this game that doesn't involve me dashing around the screen while killing things. Is that a nitpick? Idk.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
In Destiny 2 if you're not paying really close attention the resource indicator triangle thingy looks almost exactly like one of the patrol indicators.

Oh and you can't change gear while flying to a locked gear activity.

And if you go to orbit (which takes a second), forget something and need to back down to the planet the loading isn't any faster.

And you can't accept invites while flying. I get it, I can't join at that exact moment, but quit the thing I'm doing and/or queue the thing I want to do.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
when you enter your name and then it sticks out all game because the text is in all caps

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Having to go to specific places/posts/waypoints in order to fast travel in open worlds.

Just let me pop up a menu and go wherever.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
The giant eyeballs on the bosses of MM 3D and the special effects for the Zora swimming turn me off so much that I don't feel like buying the game. I just find them so silly looking that it kind of throws off the immersion for me.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Games (especially fighting games) that don't give you full control of your button configuration. In Street Fighter 5, you can only change the buttons to their pre-determined list, and that list is missing 2-button presses (i.e. light + heavy punch, or medium + heavy kick). Some characters have variant EX moves depending on the two buttons you press, and sometimes it can be tough to press certain combinations on a pad. I would've appreciated the option.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
-I hate how there still isn't a "mark all as seen" button in Modern Warfare(and other relevant games). Especially considering that the menu is still kinda glitchy in regards to not properly identifying what you got new and having to find out what is new buried in the menus.

-Also permanent letterboxing in games. The Order 1886, the Evil Within(which thankfully got it patched I believe) and Dragon's Dogma(360 version at least) i'm looking at you!

Last edited:

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
First of all, seconded and seconded! Not sure how this is still a thing.

Do you know, the more I think about it the more that's not only possible, but maybe likely.

I bought a 500 Million Limited Edition (was very late into PlayStation this gen - which has been awesome, by the way!)

I don't live in Japan, the USA or Europe and so I had to import. I have a slight inkling this came from Japan? Did they all?

Yeah it sucks man. There's no consistency.

And now I'm worried that when I get my Westernised PS5, and I have to go back to X to advance, I'm going to have all sorts of readjustment issues!
swapped buttons at the menu indicate the console is from Japan. I can confirm as I got a psvita that was from Japan and natively has O as confirm accept X in the menus. I think you can change it in the settings now, but I think it permanently swaps everything in game as well too though.

Oct 27, 2017
In Luigi's Mansion 3 there's a hotel room with, I don't know what it's called, a golf putting stand? You can blow a golf ball around the room and into the hole and it does... nothing.

No hidden gem, no coins, no achievement, nothing. Annoyed me way too much.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Autosave warnings "don't turn off the computer while this icon appears" on the PC. Where force-quitting a game isn't normal anyway.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
The sound it makes when you're browsing the character select screen in Street Fighter V is horrible. The worst sound effect in the entire genre. In the entire generation. In the history of mankind.

I also dropped Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom despite enjoying the gameplay just fine simply because I can't stand when games constantly take the camera away from you to show some bullshit or keep celebrating every meaningless accomplishment with a little unskippable animation. It's the worst. One of the things that bug me the most with Nintendo games, actually.

Is that the sound that sounds like a mouse squeaking into a microphone

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
That split-second delay in DS/3DS Pokemon games between when you'd press FIGHT and the moves would show up. It drove me nuts.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
I don't even think it is but I've been told in some (non-ERA) posts about it that I'm being nitpicky and should get over it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dark Souls Remastered's ambient sound issues not being f'ing patched and seemingly not being noticed by more than like 10 vocal people online. I'm exaggerating but yeah...

It's keeping me from buying it and enjoying it with glorious ReShade settings right now, arghhhh. It appears I cannot get over it and am indeed Mr. Nitpick.

You're not alone, all sound in that game is compressed to shit.

It's laughably obvious when the game first transitions from the opening cutscene to the beginning of gameplay. The voiceover continutes ("Yes, this is your fate" or something like that) but with a completely degraded sound quality from just seconds prior.

Don't get me wrong, DS:R was my first experience with the game and it's now one of my favorite games of all time. I put 200+ hours into that baby. But as an audio-guy, those kinds of things are less "nitpicky" and more "offensive" lol.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Games with "notifications" that require you to open and sift through menus just to get rid of the New! icon.

So far I'm absolutely loving Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore on Switch but god, I wish there was a "mark all as read" button for the trophies menu.