Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's the Halloween Season, my favorite time of the year. I was born on Halloween, so annual frights and spooky delights quickly became some of my favorite things to look forward to, even at a young age. I have a pretty high tolerance for most horror-themed content, but there were definitely a few I was exposed to that left powerful and lingering trauma in my young mind. This is MY history of burgeoning terror when I was first introduced to the following creepy creatures.
Boogeymen.jpg

1. The Headless Horseman
Washington Irving's seminal story about the urban Legend of Sleepy Hollow was my first real recollection as a child of being scared of any supernatural creature. I was in kindergarten when my school decided to entertain us with a short movie about the decapitated demon. No, it wasn't the colorful, plucky, and more memorable Disney version... it was the version narrated by Glenn Close, who may have done TOO good a job selling the story of dread, darkness, and death, coupled with beautiful yet incredibly atmospheric paintings and a musical score that was unnerving and ethereal.

Anytime I was in the woods at night, I had the fear the Headless Horseman might come for me to take my head. The legend said I had to cross the bridge and he'd vanish in a burst of fire, so I always made sure to know where the bridges were...

2. Pennywise the Clown
Though I'm happy to find this is a common one, I had no fear of clowns at an early age. I loved clowns. They were colorful and funny. At the video store, around the age of 6 or 7, my dad turned to me and asked if I'd be up for watching the movie "IT". "It's scary," he said. Looking at the VHS cover, I chuckled. "It has a clown on the cover! How scary can it be?"
51RX1CJHYCL._SY445_.jpg

I don't know why I didn't realize that the clown was going to be the monster. I think I thought the clown was going to help stop a monster. Regardless, the opening wasn't too bad at first. It was almost whimsical as a little girl sees a happy clown outside, who makes her laugh. But then... the music abruptly changed. The mood changed entirely, and the brief shot of the clown shifted from joy... to THIS.
main.php

This was followed by the little girl's mother finding her child slaughtered (off-screen), her tricycle horribly bent, and police talking about how gruesome her death was. Okay, that was a shock. The clown was clearly the bad guy and unlike other movie monsters, TARGETED CHILDREN. But I put on a brave face and thought I could stick it out. Then... the storm drain scene.
giphy.gif

This scene - in the miniseries, book, movie - is iconic and arguably THE best scene of all three iterations. I don't think anything in the story ever tops it because it's beat for beat the most uncomfortable, unnerving, uncanny scene of growing tension and building dread. Knowing in advance the clown has killed children before, watching Georgie knowing that something is OFF, but being a curious child lured into a sense of trust and complacency around Pennywise, makes my skin crawl... even to this day. While the new movie version of Pennywise is plenty scary, Curry's version is disarmingly "normal" - an average, typical birthday clown (with intentional sharp edges on his paint, which is apparently a clown no-no) - and that terrified me because a recognizably scary clown is easy to spot and avoid, but Pennywise was like so many other clowns I'd seen (and now would no longer trust). Needless to say, things end poorly for Georgie, and as a child I nope'd out of the movie at this point and avoided it (and storm drains) for nearly 20 years.

3. Pumpkinhead
I'm not sure where my exposure to Pumpkinhead came from. I believe it was at my uncle's house and he was watching it on HBO or something. The design might be a bit TOO "Alien from "Aliens"", but something about it - and the tone of the clips I saw - lodged itself into my brain. Growing up in a religious family, I believed in demons and devils, but they were typically drawn like this:
images.jpeg

That was my shorthand for devils - horns, red skin, pointy beards, etc. But when I saw in the movie that they were calling forth a demon to hunt down and kill a group of teenagers who accidentally killed a man's son, I don't think I was ready for what Stan Winston's crew expertly brought to life.
tumblr_ndrk1rtlMV1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Everything about it was horrifying to me. Its gaunt, gangly limbs. Its taut, leathery skin. Its dead, empty eyes. Its snarling, animalistic mouth. It was malformed, vaguely humanoid, and yet utterly remorseless and savage, like something that truly would emerge from the dark and grimy recesses of a nightmare. The era of goofy goblins was over; this became my new mental image of the denizens of hell, and it terrified me because - unlike other spooky creatures - I was told demons were REAL.

3. Gremlin
My dad was an airline pilot, so I tagged along on a lot of his flights. I was fortunate to travel a lot and never really had a fear of flying. After being exposed to The Twilight Zone movie, I certainly developed a healthy fear of engine failure though. The movie ("PG rating" my ass) had a few remakes of classic Twilight Zone stories and the original version of Nightmare at 20,000 feet was famous but its gremlin a bit goofy.
4-nightmare-at-20000-feet.png

(and the acting a bit Shatner)

The new movie, however, layed it on thick and gave the Gremlin a massive revamp. It paced its reveal a bit better, building the tension of its existence with the paranoia of the passenger, leading to a truly harrowing reveal. This is an expert minute and a half.

Like Pumpkinhead, this creature was so demonic and vaguely humanoid - just enough to be uncanny - that its appearance shocked me, while the maddening frustration that only one man knew it existed - and that it was orchestrating their deaths in the sky - created a narrative that would haunt every trip I ever flew on an airplane again. Every time we took off from the runway, I said a little prayer we'd get to our destination without running into THIS thing. If said airplane ride was during a thunderstorm... well, it was going to be a LONG flight then.
tzone3.jpg

These were the harrowing haunts that plagued my nightmares and buried their way into my mind on a primal level. I may have grown older - decades removed from my first exposure to these traumatizing terrors - but a part of me will always recoil as the inner child in me feels his heartbeat quicken, breath grow shallow, and an innate sense of fight or flight tingles my nerves and tightens my muscles.

What were your personal boogeymen and what is YOUR history with them? I hope to hear some good stories.

Sleep well tonight.

Last edited:

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Its a creature called the Flutsch. He comes if you don't clean your room and steals everything that's lying around in the floor.
Both my parents and my best friends parents knew about him, so it's not like my parents made him up.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
See avatar above.

Halloween is the seminal horror movie and Michael Myers the seminal boogeyman, and has been my whole life.

Why?

The look. That mangled and spray painted William Shatner mask slowly fading in through the darkness terrified me as a child. Combine that with John Carpenter's vision and Dean Cundey's genre-best cinematography, and you've got a winner.

The sound, and the lack thereof. On one hand, John Carpenter's Halloween theme is possibly the most iconic and chilling horror theme ever and is seared to memory in 5/4ths time. On the other hand, Michael being this silent, mute force only added to his allure and boogeyman status.

The simplicity. Before the many sequels and reboots tacked on family trees, cults, and backstories, the original film was absolutely terrifying its simplicity. A formless void, one who we arent sure is a man or some kind of force of nature, silently stalking babysitters in a sleepy suburban neighborhood without reason or motive is an absolutely terrifying set up, doubly so in the 1970's before the advent of stranger danger, cell phones, and social media.

I could go on forever, but to me, Halloween is the most perfectly conceived and executed horror movie ever, and Michael Myers is the king of the cinematic boogeyman.

"He was the boogeyman, wasn't he?"
"Yes, I'm afraid he was".

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I have an older sister who forced me to watch horror flicks.

lKxD72Y.jpg

The only movie that gave me nightmares as a kid, that I can remember.

IT made me afraid of clowns.

Chucky made me afraid of dolls / ventriloquist dummies (the type with moving eyes and eyelids).

Even now, I find most variants of these to be a bit unsettling.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
not really a typical boogeymen, but i can't stand mannequin dolls.

back in the day my father gifted a store window mannequin to my mother. shit was creepy as hell and always made me hate going into the basement where it was just standing around looking creepy.

there is also a movie that fucked me up, that featured a mannequin coming to life. i think it was about a mannequin becoming a nanny and then later on having to transform back into a lifeless doll. i forgot what that movie is called tho. it wasn't even a horror movie iirc

it looked similar to this i found on google

5887126293_fddaa19929_b.jpg

Last edited:

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
13028581.jpg

Leguman, aka, Vegetable man.

From a french tv show supposedly aimed at kids but filled to the brim with weird stuff. The dude was meant to be a super hero character who'd entice kids to eat their vegetables. It didn't work on me. At all. In fact, it had the exact opposite effect.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
ChildsPlay.jpg

This asshole got me really good when I was a kid. My parents rented this and watched it really late at night when I was about 3, problem was I had gotten up from bed and was watching it from the hallway before my parents saw me.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No boogeyman, but sometimes I'll dream that someone is in the condo. It'll be extremely vivid to the point where it's extremely distressing.

Oct 27, 2017
Sharks thanks to JAWS.

Growing up, I wasn't afraid of the film, but I was told that Quint really died in that scene where he slides into its mouth, a malfunction of the animatronic. That's why flesh remained on its teeth only after that one death scene! This news stuck in my mind and made me pay extra attention to that scene every time I watched, knowing I was watching someone die. It built this sort of existential dread.

294bab95-a2aa-4718-9547j2n.gif

Most of my nightmares, the ones that felt the most real, were to do with sharks. Stuck in a hockey rink like tank with a shark trying to find an exit; having a chainmail-esque arm protection while hiding in a shark cage and FEELING the pressure of a shark chomping down on my arm and me hoping it stops the teeth from puncturing... and more I can't remember off hand. This fear lead me to be afraid of going out on a boat even in fresh water. This wasn't a long-lasting fear and truthfully this only kicked in when my parents' friend's daughter took over the controls of a motor boat I was on and took too tight and fast of turns which kicked in my "oh shit, we're going into the water.... sharks?" fear lol.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Sharks and snakes. They still scare the shit out of me, when I was a kid at Edinburgh zoo they brought out a snake for everyone to pet and I ran the fuck outta there. They couldn't find me for me like an hour lol

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I played Doom 2 at age 2, within months of being verbal.

Arch-Vile-Doom-video-game-upscale-Hisfan-1.jpg
Revenants also weren't great, mostly because I couldn't appreciate the comedy of the meaty slaps.

I was terrified of the character from the Ring.

Also, the wampas in Shadows of the Empire. For some reason the lack of detail and the way they were animated just... horrified me. The Canyon Wampa you don't have to encounter gave me for-real nightmares too.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ernest Scared Stupid was way scarier that it had any right to be. I remember calling my mom to go with me to the bathroom 'cause I was afraid this ugly ass bad mofo was there
09b46f46-e4c2-4167-9f8c-00d9accc90fd.png

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how this fucking guy made it into a goddamn SpongeBob episode, haunted me for days.

Oct 28, 2017
The skeletons in the first Pireates of the Caribbean movie were damn scary when I saw it as a kid

Fight_on_Isla_de_Muerta_17.png

Also, the Groke in the Moomins

13-3-6895004.jpg

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
As a kid i was scared of 2 things

The Legend and customs of the Krampus

bfAoFmz.jpg

and the Worm man from X files

oqRNqTu.png

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
This toothy French bastard. I've had hundreds of nightmares as a kid because of him. Usually he would be coming out of the TV to kill me.

Ernest-1.jpg

I'm getting chills while creating this post. Ernestooo you wankeer

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I saw Jaws too early and was afraid of swimming at the beach until I was like 6 or 7. Didn't help my mum had been bitten by a small shark in her teens and had her own anxiety.

However probably my biggest unreasonable fear was a spooky art deco hotel that would recur in my dreams/nightmares on a long winding road near a beach, sometimes in my dreams we would drive all the way there, other times we would miss a turn and end up in the sea. Nothing bad ever happened if we made it, it was just creepy. I don't remember the inside at all.

Nothing around where I lived as a kid was of art deco style or age so I assume I saw something on TV at a very early age and latched onto.

I haven't had that dream in years, probably since my early 20's but winding roads close to the sea still freak me out.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
m_5d123d64a4d35264d0334f8a.jpeg

When I was a child, I had recurring nightmares with this guy in it. He didn't have the green easter-egg thing on his head, but he looked sort-of like this. He walked hunched over with a big split-pea-soup green cloak draped over him and he walked with a cane. His name was Oweeyuck. Somehow, the mythology was that he had a gang, also featuring Dinky, Coo, and Cookie-Adam Diapers (none of which were clowns). It wasn't until I found a chin up bar in the long hallway with doors that he often chased me though and pulled myself up out of his reach that he gave up on me. I stood up to him once and he was gone.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Back when I was a real youngin, like not even 5, we had 2 fire alarms set up on the walls in our house.
One above an arch, and one above a closet door.
My little kid mind anthropomorphized these figures, the alarms being their heads and the door/arch being their bodies, and they chased me down in my nightmares and tickled me.

Many a night I woke up in a cold sweat.

No, I'm not joking.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
This bastard

Mr. Boogedy was a made for TV movie that Disney ran on ABC back in the 80's. I'll never forget it being on at the restaurant my grandparents owned and me running to the other side of the room to get away from it.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I have an extremely vague memory of seeing some cartoon that had a ghostly presence in it that basically resembled two narrowed eyes. I can't remember if it was black or black and red, but definitely it was dark. I used to see those eyes in my dreams. For years I've been trying to find what it might have been, and still to this day, I've had no luck. I sketched the eyes using an app on my tablet a few years ago -

eaJgpA3.png

The closest thing I can find to it is the Black Rabbit of Inlé from Watership Down, which also freaked me out quite a bit -

90e7e09f56927aa5810eab9b864c9ab0.jpg

pic_detail52e4eee53d63d.png

Something about Anubis freaks me out as well. Pennywise did too but I was about thirteen or fourteen when I first saw the miniseries so it didn't leave as lasting an impression.

The most recent thing to really scare me was something more abstract than the eyes above, if you can believe it. I was hopping around the galaxy in Space Engine, skimming above the atmosphere of a planet I believe when the sheer loneliness of the universe hit me. It was enough to not only quit the game but also uninstall it there and then. I've seen other people write about having the same experience so I know I'm not alone in this one, at least.

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hAR6fRo.png

8G1NuI3.png

Most terrifying movie I have ever seen, and I saw it when I was like 11 years old, man. I didn't even post screens of the scariest parts, because I'd rather not revisit that on a Sunday morning. You all know the movie.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
I was scared of the Banshee, which for some reason made it into every kids cartoon in the late 80s/early 90s. Tiny Toons had the scariest one, but I think there were also episodes in Rescue Rangers, Duck Tales, Animaniacs, Ghost Busters, Scooby Doo, etc.

MV5BMjE0MDk0NzU2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzY1Nzg3MjE@._V1_.jpg

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
IT.

I remember watching it on TV when I was 7-8 at another family members house. We lived 2-3 blocks away, and I walked (ran) home.

Bloody Mary.

I had a baby sitter once that must have hated him, or thought it was funny. She made me sit by the bathroom and kept saying she'd make me repeat her name in the mirror and she would come get me.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I remember a few things that kinda freaked me out as a kid, things I hadn't been sure if were quite real until I found out they were - well - real.
Just 90s Australian kids TV things.

hrF7Y1J.gif

One show that had an example of an unintentionally terrifying - at least, quite terrifying for me - character was Mulligrubs.
Apparently she was just part of the show's segments, but the uncanniness and terrifyingness really stuck with me, and a lot of other Australian kids.

HL5Ibm0.gif

Another one that quite stuck with me, and something I also wasn't totally sure was real until I was an adult, was the Everychild character from Lift Off.
The idea was to have a character that any of the young children watching could self-insert themselves into.
It worked a bit too well - it was fucking terrifying, and I identified with the faceless child presented on the screen.

Maybe the scariness was being able to self-project into the dead looking faceless doll?

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
okay i don't remember the name, but that doctor who episode where there was some kind of robot thing hiding under this lady's bed? and the robot was like harvesting organs or some shit? i would literally jump from a meter away to my bed to avoid getting close to under the bed so the organ harvesting robot didn't fuck up my ankles or something.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The T Rex traumatized me as a kid. I don't know why, it just did. During the days of Lost World, the video store my family used to go to had a big cardboard Rex head as marketing, and I could not look at it with getting scared. Remember Downtown Disney and the big dinosaur mural on the sides of the building? The fear was so bad that I had to walk past that with my eyes closed, my parents leading by the hand.

But of course silly me who loved the Jurassic Park moves would play metaphorical Russian roulette by reading the Making of Jurassic Park book, cautiously turning each page in case the next one would have a Rex.

Sometimes still get a slight chill if I scrolling or reading an article, and I unexpectedly stumble onto a pic of the JP rex.

Jurassic-Park-T-Rex-Name-Roberta.jpg

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Pennywise...bane of my childhood. Terrified me in middle school and new one scares me too. I'd love to give him a 7 page muda
Michael Myers as a kid, not so much anymore.
Xenomorphs always..worst way to die

Xythantiops

Oct 27, 2017
My very first boogeyman as a small child was something I called the blanket monster. It was a large brown furry blanket that could move around on its own and would envelop you and eat you. This wasn't some physical blanket I had a fear of but a reoccurring nightmare.

approximation
xxhh-azo-furry-blanket-brown.jpg.pagespeed.ic.hh3mysY02q.jpg