Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quite a few things really! Where to start...

CoD: WWII - I expected something special with the campaign here, but instead I just got something average. It didn't help that the serious tone of the story was often undercut but impossible action sequences (bell tower, train).

Destiny 2 - The good is that the story felt like a major improvement over the first game! After that, I found that I lost interest even faster than I did with Destiny 1.

Horizon: Zero Dawn - I originally skipped this because of Zelda, but really wanted to come back later. Now that I've had some more time with the game, I'm just not blown away. It's "great" at what it sets out to do, but none of it felt new or exciting to me.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - I knew going into XC2 that it might not be up my alley. In the end, I bought into the hype as it was the last "major" Nintendo published game for Switch this year. Like Horizon, it doesn't feel like a "bad" game at all! It's just that it doesn't really draw me back to play more. I've already thought about selling it a few times, but I refuse to lose half my money on it.

Xbox One X - I sold my original PS4 in anticipation of the Pro, and found myself really disappointed with the finished product. So much so that I just bought a slim model and continue to use that. Based on all the hype leading up to launch, I expected the Xbox One X to be a different story! All in all, it looks like the console succeeds at what it wants to do, but it just isn't for me. It could just be that personally, I've hit a wall when it comes to supporting "everything" at launch. It just feels like a waste of time and money now.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Tie between Battlefront 2 and Mass Effect.

Battlefront 2 is the worst game I can't stop playing. Replaying KOTOR a month ago only makes the disappointments of ME:A more pronounced.

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
Destiny 2 by far. After thousands of hours spent in D1 I was hoping D2 would be a homerun, instead Bungie hit a pop up foul out in the 9th with the bases loaded. So disappointing

Breath Of Wild. Really didn't like it, the story was non existent and I got bored after a while. Divine Beasts were atrocious

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Call of Duty World War II

I was eagerly awaitirng the release of the game as it went back to boots on the ground after the jet pack era and I really enjoyed war mode for the first couple of weeks from launch as it was some thing new and fresh, the. I dipped into normal modes and after playing the maps once I was really bored of what it offered, never have I seen such sparse content in a CoD MP game at launch, the game is just way to inconsistent too, one Game my guns are melting everyone and it's a riot, the next my guns are nothing but hit marker generators and i die all the time, then there's just how broken and unbalanced the game is, and then on top of that there's the snipers which are seriously broken, they are the best shotguns in the game, with the kar98k I was able to go on a 20 killstreak and I never snipe, that's how broken, easy it is.

There's a good game in there, but design decisions by SHG have ruined it.

The divisions also stifle creativity in the classes you can make, and the supply drops are just hilarious, why anyone would want to drop money on them is beyond me.

I have zero faith in SHG sorting this game out in a year. It's hilarioud to think this is what we get after a three year dev cycle, so much broken shit, and changes made in the beta that didn't make it into the final game, baffling.

Massive disappointment, I went balls deep on the digital deluxe version because I bought their dream, now it's only Treyarch who I will blindly follow to the end.
This was going to be my post exactly! Except that I reached the same conclusion in the beta.

The maps are trash, the hit detection is trash, the progression system is based on lootboxes and burn cards and it seems to be p2w on top of everything else.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Bomberman R
Gravity Rush 2

Both were averages and ain't worth the amount of money that I paid for them. I'd gladly pay $20 for each of them tho

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect is just tragic. I love those original games so much and Andromeda was just an affront to what they created on almost every level.

Destiny 2 is my runner up.

Otheradam

Shinra Employee
Nov 1, 2017
Mass Effect. Didn't buy it at launch. Less than a month after that it was discounted so I decided to give it a shot. Got just past the intro/first fire fight and said "nope". Destiny 2 wasn't a disappointment to me because I knew to stay clear after how they were talking about it and Destiny 1.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Mass effect was so bland it was unreal

Wolfenstein 2 was good but not great like I had hoped and it kinda just...stopped rather than ended

The old country I wont name

And Botw was just ok to me but ultimately disappointing

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
you post a lot in the OT for someone who is so meh about the game

Indeed. I'm pretty addicted to it. The game is fun and mindless. I just desperately want it to improve. If I'm not impressed by how Bungie responds to the criticism of Eververse in 2018, then I'll probably just drop it.

I want to like the game because the base game there is fun, but it also leaves me bored and frustrated. So I get conflicted and give up with "meh."

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I thought being on the PS4 would totally fix Wipeout 2048, but the later races are still incredibly annoying even in 4K with a control pad.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I haven't had any big disappointments this year gaming-wise but both Wolfenstein II and Gravity Rush 2 very much failed to live up to their predecessors. The New Order and GR1 are some of my most memorable gaming experiences but TNC and GR2, while I still enjoyed them overall, were nowhere near as good.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Battlefront 2 - I really wanted it to be my shooter for this fall. After playing it was clear that the game play wasn't really improved from the 1st one for me. It's just boring to play. I tried Battlefront 2015 a few times but never could really get into it. Maybe I'll give it another go on a free weekend but I doubt it will click.

The lootbox mess didn't help.

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 is by far the most boring, unchallenging, uneventful game I have played this year. 99% the game is challenging, making all the loot completely uninteresting. The remaining 1% showed me, that the game isn't even fun when it's challenging. The story is bad, the sidequests are bad, the humor is bad. The strikes are decent but when I played you couldn't choose which strike to play and none of them are fun enough to warrant a second playthrough.
It might actually be the first time where I genuinely don't understand why people like the game.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Aside from ME Andromeda being pretty bad (that took nobody by surprise) I would say Nioh.
I played it during som hours and found it a bad take on the Souls formula.
I never finished it, and that's not a thing I normally do when I start a game.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild looked to be everything I wanted in a Zelda game, but it was just too empty. Still thought it was enjoyable, but I was really disappointed by it at the same time. Doesn't help that it had that monster hype with the majority of people glossing over its many flaws.

Nictron

Nov 27, 2017
Murrieta, CA
The hottest of takes: Breath of the Wild.

There's games that are worse that I've played this year, but this was the one I was let down by the most. Didn't even get stuck into the hype cycle. Just bought it, booted it up, and got frustrated and annoyed by it even at the Grand Plateau. Kept giving it chances hoping those frustration would go away, but it just got worse and worse as I advanced. Gave up on it somepoint in Hebra after getting two Major Test shrines in a row.

I've done full writeups elsewhere why I didn't like it. You can scrawl through my post history to find it.

Final-Bestburn-logo.gif

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
Probably Persona 5. I mean, it was decent, but I didn't really like the new persona portraits. Gameplay improvements were great, but story is my least favorite I think.

I mean, it wasn't a bad game, but it left me flat. Disappointed as the OP says

That, plus the dumb gay jokes and blocked share features left me with negative feelings. I feel better about mainline SMT these days

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Sonic Forces. A sequel to Generations, fresh off of Sonic Mania? What could possibly go wrong? Everything. Everything went wrong.

Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. It didn't change that much. It's got incredibly unnecessary tutorials and is incredibly linear, which Sun and Moon also were. But when you're essentially going through those games a second time, they really drag on. It's clear they tried to trim it down a little bit, but they didn't trim it down nearly enough.

Splatoon 2. Campaign is great. I like what changed they made to the multiplayer. But it's still got so many levels of Nintendo bullshit. Salmon Run at only certain times is a joke. Map rotation is terrible. Just setting up voice communications with a teammate is a complete pain in the ass.

Persona 5. It's a beautiful looking game, and probably as good as Persona 3 and 4. But it's so long, it's structure is almost the exact same as Persona 3 and 4, and I have no desire to keep playing an 80 hour game that just feels like it's gonna copy the same story beats as the last two.

A smaller disappointment, because I still love the game, but Rainbow Six Siege ended last year and started this year with by far its best DLC maps: Skyscraper and Coastline. This had me excited for this year's maps, because the first three DLC maps weren't too hot. But then they cancelled one, released a mediocre one (Theme Park) and a bad one (Tower).

Another smaller one, Super Mario Odyssey's handheld mode. It's completely fine for the main quest. But the inability to do speedrun actions makes 100%ing the game in handheld mode so much more difficult. It's turned me off from 100%ing the game, since I already did the incredibly hard levels anyways.

Last edited:

Sams

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon. These games are definitely the worst third version of a generation. I've never been so let down by a pokemon game even though I knew these weren't going to change SM that much. If Gamefreak made the intro quicker and made a decent justification for these games, I would go back to them.

Deleted member 17361

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wolfenstein 2 is probably my biggest disappointment personally, everything about it gameplay-wise just felt really off to me.. didn't even finish it for the story :( As a fan of The New Order I was really excited for it

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I would say MvC:I but I never had high hopes for it anyway, so I'll say The Evil Within 2. I liked it but I wanted to like it so much more.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Honestly? Nioh isn't half the game that From Software normally creates. Has none of the world building, atmosphere or level design that I love in From's products. It's basically batte system and nothing else. I hope that next time they create a game with all of that included since Nioh honestly felt like a prototype or experiment and the next game will hopefully be a big improvement. I can still enjoy it for what it is but it was a disappointment.

Gravity Rush 2 was a little disappointing compared to the first. The first game is and probably always will be my favourite game on Vita (and the Remaster one of my favourite games on PS4) but the design felt like a downgrade and repetitive compared to the first, I guess since the first game felt really fresh and innovative (which it was) by the time the second game came out it was very much more of the same with prettier visuals but weaker game design. Still a great game overall (and actually in my top 10 GOTY) but not as good as the first at all.

Yakuza Kiwami was a downgrade in pretty much every way from 0. It was too much of a faithful remake of the first game, even keeping some of its flaws intact (some of the bad sub-quests) whilst also creating some new ones (Majima Everywhere system was great at first but after a while it really outlives its welcome and adds to make even more random fights happen). Story wasn't expanded upon enough either, I don't feel (which is a big downgrade from 0's masterful storyline). Also just like in the original, only memorable boss fights are the ones against
Nishiki at the end and the Shimano fights mainly because of the story relevance of these.
It's probably the weakest Yakuza game I've played overall but it was still a good game, I'd say.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Call of Duty WW2.
I bought it day 1, I was so hyped. But the game is not good ( I mean the Campaign ). Military campaign of shooters keep getting worse and worse. I was expecting a great campaign as the World at War ( so underrated ), but no. The game is so generic and boring. The health pack thing is annoying. The dialogues are clichet. Only the presentation and graphics deliver.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
TESO: Morrowind.

I've been on a Bethesda renaissance lately. Within the last two years, I've completed/replayed Skyrim, FO3, Oblivion, FO4, New Vegas, Dishonored GOTY, Dishonored 2, Wolfenstein TNO, DOOM, and Prey. I've started TEW2, Wolfenstein TNC, and Death of the Outsider and love all three. For all intents and purposes, they are the only publisher I care about these days. Beth Soft + indies gets me all I need.

Naturally, a chance to explore Morrowind once again with modern graphics was an enticing opportunity. I went into it not enjoying MMOs, but had heard that TESO played similarly to Skyrim. Two hours into the game, idk what the fuck I'm playing. Clunky MMO combat, even worse AI than BGS games, poor interface, enemies respawn so quickly, jarring dialog system, goofy art direction.... it's not been good at all. So, I tried to just walk the lands and explore some of the classic locations. I go to meet Vivec in his chamber and there's 15 people running and jumping around with goofy looking armor and weird pets. Completely took me out of the experience. Part of me wants to stick it out so I can see the Clockwork City and Orsinium, but I don't know if it's worth it at this point.

ESO represents how messed up modern gaming can be. They release a 'new' Morrowind, box art and everything on point, and of course who wouldn't want to revisit that world after so many years and visual advancements. But to enjoy this new Morrowind, in every area you have to watch a crowd of people jumping around acting like fools that completely removes any and all atmosphere from the game, and atmosphere is what made Morrowind a great game. They took the great thing and added this other thing that takes away the great thing. At least we have the Dragonborn DLC, that kind of hit the spot for more Morrowind.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nioh, weak work, weak enviroment, enemies were so dull and boring and not all builds were viable against bosses unless you go for a broken build. such a let down I didnt even bother to finish

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Destiny 2 for me. I played through the first expansion of D1 and loved it but it eventually just started to feel like a job. Destiny 2 didn't feel like that AS MUCH up to this point, but with the way the released the expansion and all of the other stuff they've been lacking in communicating with the community, it's disappointing.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5.

There was so much to love in that game, it was a pity you had to wade through so much padding to get to it. Not an awful game by any means, but not my GOTY.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I was actually really smart with my gaming purchases in 2017. Didn't play much that I didn't like....

I guess Dragon Quest Heroes II was a bit of a disappointment for me. I think the pseudo-open world hurt the game more than helped it, where the more standard Musou style of the first one is really what they should have kept.

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
Quite a few things this year.

As a big Xbox fan, Microsoft disappointed me big style. I love the X, it's fantastic but the lack of first party output was awful.
Cuphead and Forza 7 are amazing but it doesn't mask the disappointment.

EA. Mass Effect, Battlefront just a mess of two bug franchises and then there was the final nail in the coffin for any future dead space release...

Nintendo Switch game pricing. Digital is top expensive by $10, and the physical side is hampered by the cost of the cartridges. Nintendo should be sorting this out but they won't.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
For how many amazing games there were I feel like I was also disappointed constantly.

Zelda BoTW
The biggest offender is definitely Zelda.
People were saying it was the best since OoT.
How wrong they were. For me
I just tried to get back into it after going through the thread because I thought maybe its just me and yeah game won't click. I thought it might just be me but then I remember how much everyone loved Skyward Sword and that game was a massive letdown and is now looked back on less favorably. I have a feeling it will be the same for BoTW

Wolfenstein 2
Amazing writing and Characters with boring level design, enemies and unforgiving mechanics. Such a letdown.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2. Not the worst game I've played at all this year but the most dissapointing one for sure. I took for granted Bungie learned from Destiny 1 but it seems not. Had lots of fun still raiding with friends in vanilla Destiny 2 but I'm not coming back for the DLCs.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
Nier Automata - Characters and story nowhere near as good as Nier 1's to me.
Rime - Looked good but everything besides visuals was just not great at all.
Uncharted: TLL - It was.. Uncharted 4 again, just distilled and not as good.
Persona 5 - Couldn't play it for more than 10 hours or so, felt like I was playing 4 but with an inferior cast and way less interesting premise/mystery.
Sonic Forces - Eh.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Probably a lot of the issues surrounding Battlefront II, because boneheaded decisions got in the way of base gameplay that was enjoyable.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Gravity Rush 2
Loved the first one on the Vita. Expected the second to improve a lot being on the PS4. While the world was awesome, the missions where so bad (stealth? Really?) that I stopped playing.

Wolfenstein : the new colossus
Good story, world building and characters. But the gameplay was so bad and forgettable that I chose the easiest difficulty and rushed through the game.

PES2018
Not many improvements compared to last year. Graphics look somehow worse. Hope next year will be better!

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2 no doubt. I had high hopes after coming back for TTK expansion, but it seems like their road map for these titles just suck and the loot is uninteresting compared to D1 exotics. I will also say that I felt weird about Wolfy 2. I absolutely loved the first game, but the shooting/stealth just felt so off in this one. I enjoyed it enough, but it didnt meet the hype that I had for it when it was announced.

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
Call of Duty World War II

I was eagerly awaitirng the release of the game as it went back to boots on the ground after the jet pack era and I really enjoyed war mode for the first couple of weeks from launch as it was some thing new and fresh, the. I dipped into normal modes and after playing the maps once I was really bored of what it offered, never have I seen such sparse content in a CoD MP game at launch, the game is just way to inconsistent too, one Game my guns are melting everyone and it's a riot, the next my guns are nothing but hit marker generators and i die all the time, then there's just how broken and unbalanced the game is, and then on top of that there's the snipers which are seriously broken, they are the best shotguns in the game, with the kar98k I was able to go on a 20 killstreak and I never snipe, that's how broken, easy it is.

There's a good game in there, but design decisions by SHG have ruined it.

The divisions also stifle creativity in the classes you can make, and the supply drops are just hilarious, why anyone would want to drop money on them is beyond me.

I have zero faith in SHG sorting this game out in a year. It's hilarioud to think this is what we get after a three year dev cycle, so much broken shit, and changes made in the beta that didn't make it into the final game, baffling.

Massive disappointment, I went balls deep on the digital deluxe version because I bought their dream, now it's only Treyarch who I will blindly follow to the end.

Well this post sums it up on how i feel on that game also.

I went back playing Black Ops 3 because that MP is just not only good it is more fun, map design is way better i love 3 lanes but also all those characters or classes they made are good and have personality.

I still need to buy the zombie chronicles just for the sake of it. SHG still doesn't know what there doing with there maps or even gameplay wise. The campaign is even more worse than i thought.

Dec 22, 2017
Breath of the Wild. I don't think there's much inherently wrong with the game besides a few minor issues. The lack of dungeons really kills me, though. It all felt like aimless exploration. I still think it's an incredibly well-crafted game, but I hope they can build off of it in the sequel and implement dungeons.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Breath of the Wild. I don't think there's much inherently wrong with the game besides a few minor issues. The lack of dungeons really kills me, though. It all felt like aimless exploration. I still think it's an incredibly well-crafted game, but I hope they can build off of it in the sequel and implement dungeons.
Actually I'll echo this. I really really enjoyed playing BOTW, but there were so many things that irked me - the bosses were incredibly basic and easy, shrines/dungeons were..."ok," and I wasn't a huge fan of getting everything at the beginning of the game. That last one is just a preference, but I miss that sense of "holy crap a new item, now I can go somewhere new!"

But again, I played the hell out of it and I'm glad I did.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect: Andromeda - Huge fan of this series and this game just did nothing for me.

Nioh - It just lacked the special sauce that From Software games have that it emulates, thus making it a chore to play.

Star Wars: Battlefront II
- I was hoping this would be the game to fix what they got wrong with the original and they actually succeeded at making it worse.

Last Day of June - Hyped up to be the video game equivalent of the first 15min of Up. The game ended up being boring to play, creepy and failed to move me what so ever.

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild - Decent, but nowhere near paradigm changing for me.

Nier: Automata - Good, but not as good as the first.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Don't even need to talk about it.

Destiny 2 - Instead of fixing the issues that plagued the first game, Bungie doubled down on the bullshit and gave us a turd on a silver plate.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Surprisingly enough I can't say I've had any significant disappointments this year so far. I expected a bit more from some titles, but I still wasn't disappointed with them. Been having some pretty good luck with my picks.

JORMBO

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario - it's too easy and I found the endless moon collecting boring.

I liked all the other games I played.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
Persona 5, 100%. It was still good, yeah, but it just didn't live up to the hype. I pulled one of my first all-nighters to watch the announcement of P5 back in the day. Came nowhere close to what I expected after the multiple delays.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
I'm going to go with Elite Dangerous. 2017 is when I lost all faith in it ever improving and fulfilling at least some of its potential despite the developer having access to vastly increased resources, it remains a mvp with no meat to its bones.

Nov 2, 2017
This is going to be a bit of a weird mention, but Crash Bandicoot Warped. N-Sane Trilogy was the first time I played any of these games and while I really enjoyed the first one and Cortex Strikes Back...Warped just had too many gimmick stages for my liking (motorcycle, jet ski, air plane). What also didn't help was that unlike with the first and second game, I had to do Time Trials in this one to get all the gems. I just don't enjoy doing Time Trials so that definitely dampened my excitement. Though I realize it's a bit of an unfair complaint since the first two didn't have Time Trials in them originally.

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
Persona 5 - I never played a Persona game before so I board the hype train, (I liked SMT though)
and the gameplay is just plain boring, especially the tedious long dungeons.

Nier Automata - the story is so forced I could care less. dropped in Route B because I don't find fun anymore.

Destiny 2 - I thought they gonna improve from the first game because I actually think it has potential,
turns out not so much...

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
- Samus Returns was very by the numbers, been there, done that. I didn't like the structure of the game and lack of variety. It's only a remake so it's understandable but still.
- What remains of Edith Finch. Another walking simulator for me. I thought it would be different with gameplay incorporated to the storytelling but the gameplay sequences are so basic and mundane, I'd rather watch a cinematic all the same. I'm out trying another game of the genre and won't follow recommendations anymore. It's clearly not for me.
- Mario+Rabbids. Very cool idea but lacks depth and is too random with the spawning. Didn't feel compelled enough to finish it. The soundtrack by David Wise is a retread.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Battle Mode. The maps aren't good. Battle mode needs to be completely overhauled. None of my casual friends care about it. Too chaotic. They prefer to stick with races.
- Snake Pass. No point taking risks getting difficult to get collectables. Found the controls cramped and unfun to use. Not enough new contraptions or mechanics introduced regularly. The soundtrack is disappointing too.
- Death Squared. This isn't a simultaneous co-op game. In reality, each player has to wait its turn to make the correct move while the others guide him. Lots of waiting and restarting. Not fun.

Last edited: