ColonialHawk

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I see them as a possible benefit if done right. Three stages have already had in-game "ads" for upcoming tournaments to remind folks of them.
If I had an outfit I could wear to help promote an upcoming tournament, Id be ok with that so long as it isn't tacky or clashes with the style of the game. Same goes with other sponsors, like team sponsors or third-party sponsors like Redbull.

I think they should go ahead and remove these for now and go back to the drawing board and come up with a better plan to implement these ads, and make using them way more rewarding. And if they cant do that, then try and find another way to get more funding for the game.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I see them as a possible benefit if done right. Three stages have already had in-game "ads" for upcoming tournaments to remind folks of them.
If I had an outfit I could wear to help promote an upcoming tournament, Id be ok with that so long as it isn't tacky or clashes with the style of the game. Same goes with other sponsors, like team sponsors or third-party sponsors like Redbull.

I think they should go ahead and remove these for now and go back to the drawing board and come up with a better plan to implement these ads, and make using them way more rewarding. And if they cant do that, then try and find another way to get more funding for the game.

I was hoping they would do something like the Overwatch league skins...not this shit. Shit that looks like it took some work to do while not being distracting to the players and looking good. they 100% need to go back to the drawing board on this. The redbull skins they did earlier were actually okay because they weren't obnoxious.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
It is an embarrasment that we, who paid full price for this, have to deal with this shit even if we can turn them off.

Its clear to me that they have no vision of how to monetize this game (those overpriced stages were not enough it seems), and they are experimenting at this point.

Between the absurd survival mode when it launched, the removal of fm from old modes when they released the arcade update, and the new ways to entice players to lose their fm through gambling, they sure know how to disrespect their player base.

Another nail in this game's public perception.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
It looks really ugly and out of place. Plus distracting. I'm glad you can turn it off.

Also agree that this precedent doesn't bode well for the industry as a whole.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think it's ok considering they can be disabled and that they provide some reward when activated, and understandable since this week they are having a SFV F2P version that may be enabled again many times in the future, and maybe to put there permanently.

I think it's cool to have reminders of DLC bundles or stuff like that in loading screens or stadium stages but it may be look ugly if they sponsorize them with something that isn't SF or Capcom related. It would be nice if they choose sponsors like fighting tournaments, SF related merchandise, arcade stick companies, etc.

The placement in the costumes looks very ugly, they did a better job in the Redbull promotion where logos were placed in places that made more sense.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what they'll do next.

Something like including Honda in season 4, probably!

The placement in the costumes looks very ugly, they did a better job in the Redbull promotion where logos were placed in places that made more sense.
Yea, like right on the butt.
fd7.png

I wonder how much it costs Capcom to outsource one of these costumes, offering sponsors custom-made outfits would probably be smarter and less horrible.

These "ad style" shit is so goddamn awful even by CAPCPOM standards that you gotta wonder if it isn't self-sabotage. The (non-existent) thought behind it boggles the mind.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
https://steamdb.info/app/627270/graphs/ 340 24 Hour peak
https://steamdb.info/app/307780/graphs/ 1,115 24 hour peak

https://steamdb.info/app/310950/graphs/ 2,551 24 hour peak

SFV has more than injustice and mkx put together, but sure. Street Fighter is the dead game. Nevermind that Street Fighter V's concurrent is higher than Injustice 2's All Time Peak

Sales don't mean shit for fighters. Retention and Active Players are the useful metrics for the game
Yes, in the age of GaaS where games have a lot of DLC spread into different seasons retention and active players is the important metric because these players may buy DLC.

This is why many GaaS titles even also offer the game for free during limited periods of time, as it's the case of SFV this week.

Do the ads delay the match starting?
No

Can I install adblock?
Not needed, you can disable the SFV ads in the game options menu.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I'd take the rootkit back, please Capcom.

Yes, in the age of GaaS where games have a lot of DLC spread into different seasons retention and active players is the important metric because these players may buy DLC.

This is why many GaaS titles even also offer the game for free during limited periods of time, as it's the case of SFV this week.
It's also why two NRS games died since SFV launch while, 4 years later, SFV is still the FG that got the most post launch support this year, in both in game contents and FGC scene stuff. Even MK11 while releasing next year, would probably need to out live any other NRS game to not die before SFV.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Yea, like right on the butt.
fd7.png

I wonder how much it costs Capcom to outsource one of these costumes, offering sponsors custom-made outfits would probably be smarter and less horrible.

These "ad style" shit is so goddamn awful even by CAPCPOM standards that you gotta wonder if it isn't self-sabotage. The (non-existent) thought behind it boggles the mind.
This Redbull costume was for Japan. I was talking about the western ones, that were basically the default costumes with some Redbull logo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDUHjxzefgk

In any case, this placement in the butt is cool.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
Ikr . You can literally hit "Disable" and the game goes back to being the exact same it was before the patch.

But no "CAPCOM IS PUNISHING US!!! GAMERS RISE UP"

Now if this was forced on us , thats a WHOLE different issue.

You can disable them, for now.
I am hoping that they won't be shown in tournament play because it just feels cheap.

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018
I dont like the ads but some of y'all are acting that Capcom come into your house and stole your money and fucked your spouse

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
If you disable the ads on your own stuff do you still see them on opponents in multiplayer?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
patches are supposed to make things better. this doesn't. infact, none of the actual announced changes do. Just as SF5AE was coming back too

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I see it's for SF-related stuff. so what? it's DLC for the game anyway. Missed opportunity to not advertise it. Besides, the game isn't something like Uncharted where it is so jarring. It's literally a load screen so idk why people are so up-in-arms about it. I mean, does it deserve that much outrage?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
You must also be really happy about the shower heads, rubber duckies and other assorted weird shit you can unlock in Tekken, while being just fine about how they charged $25 for a season pass that only had two characters.
While I agree with the rest of your post, if we compare SFV launching with 16 characters, Tekken 7 launched with 35 (around the number we got in SFV right now), so people were more lenient about the ridiculous price of the first season pass.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
While I agree with the rest of your post, if we compare SFV launching with 16 characters, Tekken 7 launched with 35 (around the number we got in SFV right now), so people were more lenient about the ridiculous price of the first season pass.
That is true, but it's also kind of an apples and oranges comparison as Tekken 7 had been out on arcades since late 2014, and characters in that game reuse a lot of legacy animation as well. Not that people care or notice, of course.

I really wonder what Capcom's plans are for SF6 when it comes to the roster, if they have any.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
That is true, but it's also kind of an apples and oranges comparison as Tekken 7 had been out on arcades since late 2014, and characters in that game reuse a lot of legacy animation as well. Not that people care or notice, of course.

I really wonder what Capcom's plans are for SF6 when it comes to the roster, if they have any.
Well, honestly, why should they care anyway... Reuse of assets never been a factor in the budget of Fighting Games through history, and T7 arcades was unknown to them. What they do care is the initial package at launch for the price asked.

But putting that aside, I don't believe the outrage is what will cause Capcom to drop FM. The system was incredibly beneficial to the customers the first years (even if they didn't know it), but obviously, doesn't make enough money for Capcom, thus all the changes we witnessed so far. Even with no outrage, the FM was going away, or in a form nowhere near as good as the first year.

What I really want to see is one of the major actors of the scene try the F2P model. Founder pack with all the content at launch and to come, characters rotating per week, casual and competitive mode to earn currency to buy them, lots of customisation we can buy with either in game currence or real money, etc... I tested Brawlhalla a few months ago, and it was really well thought (especially the fact that we can use in training the characters we don't own.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well, honestly, why should they care anyway... Reuse of assets never been a factor in the budget of Fighting Games through history, and T7 arcades was unknown to them. What they do care is the initial package at launch for the price asked.

But putting that aside, I don't believe the outrage is what will cause Capcom to drop FM. The system was incredibly beneficial to the customers the first years (even if they didn't know it), but obviously, doesn't make enough money for Capcom, thus all the changes we witnessed so far. Even with no outrage, the FM was going away, or in a form nowhere near as good as the first year.

What I really want to see is one of the major actors of the scene try the F2P model. Founder pack with all the content at launch and to come, characters rotating per week, casual and competitive mode to earn currency to buy them, lots of customisation we can buy with either in game currence or real money, etc... I tested Brawlhalla a few months ago, and it was really well thought (especially the fact that we can use in training the characters we don't own.
We'll probably see a serious attempt at a high profile F2P fighter if the rumored League of Legends fighter ever becomes reality.

She is really Chun-Li? She looks like a random Gerudo to me.

Ryu and Chun Li got some funky costumes

Ryu-Chun-Li-Red-Bull-1.jpg

product_content_img28.jpg

Nov 18, 2017
Obnoxious as hell.

SFV is EASILY the worst game I have bought this generation, and the worst generational update of an iconic franchise I can think of, not only because of all the problems around the launch version and derp Ken, but because of the microtransaction, FM implementation and now this shit.

This is a game that forces you to grind in-game currency in exchange for a ton of your time, then asks you to gamble it for a fucking skin by playing against cheating AI. And if you lose? Hahah you wasted all that time for nothing ps. "GIVE US MORE MONEY"

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Obnoxious as hell.

SFV is EASILY the worst game I have bought this generation, and the worst generational update of an iconic franchise I can think of, not only because of all the problems around the launch version and derp Ken, but because of the microtransaction, FM implementation and now this shit.

This is a game that forces you to grind in-game currency in exchange for a ton of your time, then asks you to gamble it for a fucking skin by playing against cheating AI. And if you lose? Hahah you wasted all that time for nothing ps. "GIVE US MORE MONEY"

Never get comments like this. FM is better than no FM which is what most other games do. Agreed that SFV launch was bad , but after AE I don't see how anybody could complain.

Nobody every explains why FM is bad apart from "oh they give so little" and srsly those extra battles are a fkin joke. Cheating AI ? are you serious. Its literally free points every week. I agree they are stingy with how much they give you but I still think if it didn't exist at all the game would be much pricier.

If you just bought a Season pass like any other fighter you have more than enough FM for all the non-gameplay stuff like titles and colors or w/e. Ofc if you are going to use FM to buy characters then you wont have enough. The choice for not being able to pay just to play the character you want is good.

Last edited:

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'd be on the train to outrage city if you couldn't turn them off, but since you can I just think it's kinda sad.

Oct 25, 2017
They are clearly just testing the waters to see how fast they can push to something worse. It's how it has worked in every other case in video games so it won't be any different here. Horse armour seemed like nothing and look where things are today. These optional ads won't be optional forever and they certainly won't be only for Street Fighter related things only.
Obviously there is no proof for this but if you look at almost every other case in video games, things only get worse and pushed further.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I actually kind of like the idea. At least I like the idea of experimenting with it. They look cheap though. Kind of just slapped on.

bmoral64

Mar 23, 2018
I don't like the idea of ads in a paid product, especially for those who buy DLC. If you've bought all the season passes then you've given them over $120 dollars. If that's not enough and ads are going to become a thing then upcoming content should be free

Nov 18, 2017
Never get comments like this. FM is better than no FM which is what most other games do.

Yeah most full price games you buy them, they let you grind cosmetic items for free.

Agreed that SFV launch was bad , but after AE I don't see how anybody could complain.

It still has a cumbersome UI, load times and the odd dodgy character model. Online is garbage.

Nobody every explains why FM is bad apart from "oh they give so little" and srsly those extra battles are a fkin joke.

FM is bad because a lot of this stuff should be attainable through playing, and not gambling in-game currency in skill-gated matches. Some extra battles are a joke, some of the battles (it's so complicated I can't recalls if they have another name) are rock solid. And the multi-fight gem system for timed costumes is deliberately horrible. The game begrudgingly gives you currency but then wants to rob you of it because really, it wants you to give up and pay real money.

I agree they are stingy with how much they give you but I still think if it didn't exist at all the game would be much pricier.

No offence but it's a full price game. I don't know what you or Capcom think SFV does that makes it require so much more money to exist than GG or Tekken etc. Or GaaS games that are more liberal with their currency payouts (Fortnite, Siege).

If you just bought a Season pass like any other fighter you have more than enough FM for all the non-gameplay stuff like titles and colors or w/e.

Nope. Not true at all. I bought the pass. There was still a ton of content I couldn't afford - stages and costumes that aren't included. Such as classic costumes for those DLC characters. I could sit and play this game for five hours straight and not unlock a goddamn thing. That's why. This is just not true of similar GaaS titles where playtime, regardless of skill level, will earn cosmetic rewards or substantial currency. Examples:

If I play Smash for an hour, I'll unlock a ton of stuff.
If I play Black Ops 4 for an hour, I'll unlock a cosmetic item.
If I play Fortnite for an hour, I'll level up and unlock some cosmetic items.
If I play Siege or Overwatch for an hour, I'll unlock a lootbox (or increase my chances of unlocking one) or grind some currency that can purchase something from the shop.

If I play SFV for an hour... NADA. And the difference is I can try grinding FM in various modes - not only is it harder, but I know the game is fighting against me the entire time (literally).

Last edited:

Pompadour

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
Never get comments like this. FM is better than no FM which is what most other games do. Agreed that SFV launch was bad , but after AE I don't see how anybody could complain.

Nobody every explains why FM is bad apart from "oh they give so little" and srsly those extra battles are a fkin joke. Cheating AI ? are you serious. Its literally free points every week. I agree they are stingy with how much they give you but I still think if it didn't exist at all the game would be much pricier.

If you just bought a Season pass like any other fighter you have more than enough FM for all the non-gameplay stuff like titles and colors or w/e. Ofc if you are going to use FM to buy characters then you wont have enough. The choice for not being able to pay just to play the character you want is good.

Generally the explanation for why FM is bad because it raises prices elsewhere. Which isn't really true since the DLC character prices are on par with competitors and MvCI had no FM and DLC there was priced the same or more expensive.

Even the ads, which I dislike and are ugly as sin, aren't really complained about because of what they are now. People complain about what they think they'll become.

The "slippery slope" argument is the most popular one used to shit on SFV.

allintospace

Oct 27, 2017
So, while I knew this sponsored update was due, I only checked it out for myself in game tonight. What I expected was something similar to the Red Bull outfits, or the tournament logo's that often change in the Ring of Destiny. These previous ads at least harmonise with the games characters and stages to some extent and I could easy tolerate then. What I see now, what we actually got, is just the same logo plastered on everything with no real consideration for placement or aesthetic. It's crude, unpleasant and I'm a little stunned and disappointed.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Generally the explanation for why FM is bad because it raises prices elsewhere. Which isn't really true since the DLC character prices are on par with competitors and MvCI had no FM and DLC there was priced the same or more expensive.

I don't really agree with this because MvCI came after SFV. MvCI really didn't establish the baseline. SFV did. It helped them normalize the price point in part thanks to FM reasoning.

MvCI also meant they have to pay Marvel licensing royalties, so once they got customers used to a price point of course they're going to try to run with it for MvCI.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
The problem isn't so much these ads in particular, it's what other publishers will do if they see that these ads actually work.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
The Red Bull outfits embody perfectly what is wrong with this game.
images

Nah, this is how sponsored content should be done. Make a brand new alt to promote whatever brand. Like even if you think this is corny and tacky, you can't say wasn't no effort put into it and you can't say it isn't unique.

What they should do is make this free and offer FM when you use it, instead of the bullshit they got now.