• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
I recently replaced all the caps in a game gear I bought on ebay for a tenner and did some touch ups, I'm considering gettng a McWill screen put in sometime soon as well, along with having an Everdrive GG on the way but I realised now apart from Sonic Triple Trouble I'm not 100% sure what I want to play. There's also the Shining Force games - which I'm working my way through on the way to my first playthrough of 3 on the Saturn, but I can't pick out anything particular. Anyone got any games they love?

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I always loved the Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 games even if it sucked.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely get the Shinobi GG games, some of the best in the whole series! Amazing soundtracks as well, for the time.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
That big old thread on "why sonic 1 is great" was something I was already aware of before the thread. Has some great stuff in it.

Yeah, we don't touch Sonic 2 GG tho.
Sorry, i wrote wrong and was really saying "i sucked". i really, really think the first Sonic GG game is great, even by itself and not comparing them to the Mega Drive ones. I always struggled with the first boss of StH2 on GG, tho. I was a very little kid while playing it.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Other than the Shining Force and Sonic games:

• Sylvan Tail
  • Alien Syndrome
  • Tails Adventures
  • Crystal Warriors
  • Defenders of Oasis
  • Ristar
  • Aleste
  • Aleste II
  • Halley Wars
  • GG Shinobi
  • GG Shinobi II
  • Woody Pop

These should keep you occupied!

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Ristar

tumblr_p9n5tkEeDB1xq94wqo1_540.gif

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Game Gear? None I'm afraid. My console was Master System. If you're talking about it, then my favorites are: Sonic1&2, Kenseiden, Asterix Great Rescue, Mickey Castle of Illusion and Lucky Dime Caper.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Castle and Land of Illusion and Tails Adventure are musts.

Ristar is solid as a downgraded port, it has some differences compared to the MD version.

Game Gear? None I'm afraid. My console was Master System. If you're talking about it, then my favorites are: Sonic1&2, Kenseiden, Asterix Great Rescue, Mickey Castle of Illusion and Lucky Dime Caper.

Almost all of these games are on Game Gear too.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Both Shinobi games are great and I always had an irrational love of the Ax Battler game.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
It's weird, lots of the actual GG exclusives ran at really bad framerates and are just not very playable.

It was a great portable Mark III, apart from the screen, but pretty thin on truly great exclusives.

Truth, right here.

Some of my other favourites, though:
  • Dragon Crystal
  • Wonder Boy 3
  • Shining Force Gaiden 2
  • Micro Machines
  • Castle of Illusion
  • Prince of Persia
  • Land of Illusion
  • Out Run
  • Lemmings
I feel like I could go on for days. I absolutely love my Game Gear. Still play it regularly.
Yeah the problem is most (all except one?) of those are just worse versions of Mark III/Master System games. Exactly the same except with smaller viewing area making them play worse, and missing features like FM music in some cases.

OP
OP
Auberji

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017

I will be revisiting the Master System in the near future so thanks for your suggestions anyway :)

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spider Man: Sinister Six, GG Shinobi II, Sonic Drift and Dynamite Headdy come to mind

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I will be revisiting the Master System in the near future so thanks for your suggestions anyway :)

Might as well suggest Tom & Jerry the Movie. Very interesting game with a simple mission, yet you have to be oportunist.
Another one goes to Smurfs(solid port), Deep Duck Trouple and Jurrasic Park.

Max Payne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite Game Gear games is Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck
Thumb_Deep_Duck_Trouble_starring_Donald_Duck_-_1993_-_Sega.jpg

Loved the story, loved the game mechanics, loved the level-design.

Also still one of my favorite puzzle games (not only on GG) is Popils
hqdefault.jpg

It's rather unknown, but I spent more hours playing that game, than I spent on BotW, and that means something.

OP
OP
Auberji

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite Game Gear games is Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck
Thumb_Deep_Duck_Trouble_starring_Donald_Duck_-_1993_-_Sega.jpg

Loved the story, loved the game mechanics, loved the level-design.

hqdefault.jpg

It's rather unknown, but I spent more hours playing that game, than I spent on BotW, and that means something.

Really do love the Disney games from this era, Castle of Illusion is one of my favourite Mega Drive games so I'm reallly interested to try out that on GG as well as Land. I'd heard those Donald Duck games were great in general from people before.

What kind of mechanics does Poplis have?

[redacted]

Dec 28, 2017
Castle/Land/Legend of Illusion
Sonic Triple Trouble/Chaos
Arena: Maze of Death
Vampire
Dragon Crystal
Crystal Warriors
Baku Baku Animal
Virtua Fighter Animation
Mega Man

If you're utilizing an Everdrive some good JP-only games are Ronald Magical World, Godzilla, Sylvan Tale, Head Buster and Coca-Cola Kid.

Max Payne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really do love the Disney games from this era, Castle of Illusion is one of my favourite Mega Drive games so I'm reallly interested to try out that on GG as well as Land. I'd heard those Donald Duck games were great in general from people before.

What kind of mechanics does Poplis have?

Your goal is to somehow reach the princess. You have to smash the proper blocks while keeping gravity and timing in mind. I don't know how one could precisely describe the gameplay, and it may sound quite simple, but this game can so challenging at times, and it's certainly very addictive.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Oh neat another thread for me to shill Land of Illusion in

But seriously though, Castle of Illusion, Land of Illusion, Legend of Illusion, Lucky Dime Caper and Deep Duck trouble are among the best platformers on the system. Yeah, most of them have technically more palatable Master System versions with far more screen real estate, but playing them on Game Gear doesn't kneecap them the same way something like Sonic 2 GG does, for example.

And while it's the lowest spec version of the game to my knowledge, OutRun Game Gear is actually surprisingly legit. Always found it neat that of all the attempted console/handheld ports & recreations of Sega's arcade output, OutRun has consistently fared better than say... Space Harrier.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I only had 3, so those are my favorites, by definition.

-One vertical space shmup, which I don't remember the name anymore - pack-in game.
-Streets of Rage 2 - It was great, but like the console, it doesn't keep you for long.
-Tailspin - my favorite of the bunch.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I only played Sonic once at a friend's as a kid. It was so awesome to play in color on a portable device. In my memories the Game Gear was basically a PSP. When I saw it years later I fell hard, the console was huge and the screen tiny !

Oct 27, 2017
Rotherham, England
It's weird, lots of the actual GG exclusives ran at really bad framerates and are just not very playable.

It was a great portable Mark III, apart from the screen, but pretty thin on truly great exclusives.

Yeah the problem is most (all except one?) of those are just worse versions of Mark III/Master System games. Exactly the same except with smaller viewing area making them play worse, and missing features like FM music in some cases.

Yeah, I know what you mean and I agree to a point, but the portable-ness was a big plus point for me as a kid. Also, in the UK there was an extra benefit in that the games actually ran at 60hz as opposed to the PAL Master System's 50hz.

Nov 8, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Popils was great! It even had a level editor so you could make your own levels; I spent many hours on it!

There was another game I played a lot that I don't remember the name of. It had a top-down scrolling view and you moved around on a grid. You started each level in the center, but you could only see a small empty square area around you; everything else was walls. As you moved around, some of the walls would disappear to reveal a maze, and the mazes were different each time you played. I think there were monsters and some light RPG mechanics (although this is before I even knew of the RPG genre). From what I remember, each level had a specific theme; e.g. the first one was a forest, so all the "wall" tiles were trees. The game was also hard (at least to me at the time), and I rarely got more than a few levels in. You couldn't save progress, so dying meant starting again from the beginning.

Last edited:

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Yeah, I know what you mean and I agree to a point, but the portable-ness was a big plus point for me as a kid. Also, in the UK there was an extra benefit in that the games actually ran at 60hz as opposed to the PAL Master System's 50hz.
That was indeed an advantage over PAL. Sega were abominable with PAL adaptations and basically had zero PAL adjustments in that era.

Mega Everdrive X7 ;)
The FM sound on the X7 isn't exactly accurate.
Of course you're going to be buying all these games on ebay and ripping them to the everdrives yourself and they can get very expensive in some cases.

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Micro Machines was one of only 2 games I had (the other being Sonic 2) so I played it a ton. It was a fun little top down racer with lots of different vehicles made by codemasters.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Shining Force, Mega Man, Sonic. And then of course 22 pounds of batteries to get a couple hours of playtime in.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Streets of Rage 1 & 2 GG > MS versions (they were not the same)
Yeah, the Master System version of Streets of Rage 2 is kind of a trainwreck. Weird case of the GG version winning out there.

I think the Master System version of 1 is better than the Game Gear version, though both are pretty good

Oct 28, 2017
game gear Aladdin was better than both Genesis and SNES Aladdin

also Shinobi, and the adventures ofBatman + Robin were God tier

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why but I loved playing Donald Duck's Lucky Dime Caper when I was younger. Something to do with swinging a huge hammer.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
Lucky Dime Caper and Wonderboy 3 were my favourite Master System games. Curious to try the GG version of Wonderboy since there's some differences but the actual hardware is a hard sell since it uses so many batteries.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the Master System version of Streets of Rage 2 is kind of a trainwreck. Weird case of the GG version winning out there.

I think the Master System version of 1 is better than the Game Gear version, though both are pretty good

Didn't even know there was a SoR 2 port for the SMS. I thought it was only 1.

I agree the SMS version of 1 is better, if only because it has more content and looks closer to the MD version, although the GG version is a little smoother.

OP
OP
Auberji

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Lucky Dime Caper and Wonderboy 3 were my favourite Master System games. Curious to try the GG version of Wonderboy since there's some differences but the actual hardware is a hard sell since it uses so many batteries.

If you have a mega drive 1 power supply kicking around it also just uses one of those.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Didn't even know there was a SoR 2 port for the SMS. I thought it was only 1.

I agree the SMS version of 1 is better, if only because it has more content and looks closer to the MD version, although the GG version is a little smoother.
The SMS version only came out in a few territories, I think. Only supports up to two enemies on screen (GG version has up to 3, IIRC) and has choppier animation than the Game Gear version.