• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
The best 3D-platformer that (almost) nobody played:

s7QAyTy.jpg

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The first Jak & Daxter is soo good. Replayed it when the PS3 remaster came out and that game aged really well. Of the Crash trilogy I prefer the second game, they nailed the sweet spot for challenge in that game. Mirror's Edge also seems more special as time goes on.

I had no nostalgia for the Spyro games but recently played the first two and enjoyed them, first one in particular. It feels like such a chill game for a lack of a better term: just find all the dragons, collect all the gems, next level. The 'bosses' are just regular enemies that take a few more hits. It's so simple but that's the charm, the sequel just added more stuff to do but it's not the better game imo.

I really need to play the Ape Escapde games, but looks like only the second is on PS4.

Oct 27, 2017
But honestly, it's kind of crazy how much Mario owns the genre.
I think it only makes sense that Super Mario is so dominant in the genre.The IP is fully owned by Nintendo, a multi-billion dollar console manufacturer with time and resources to spare, and is only worked on by world-class developers with guidance from both the original creator and the other veterans that helped develop some of the series' best games. It also helps that Nintendo has cultivated an audience that actually wants colorful character-action platforming games.
This just isn't the case with a lot of the other big/beloved platforming IPs. They were/are screwed over in a lot of ways.

Crash Bandicoot ended up staying with Universal Interactive Studios due to the housekeeping deal that Jason and Andy took. Universal Interactive being an impatient, clueless, and greedy publisher stripped away the pioneering IP's quality and identity by bouncing it around from random studio to random studio and giving the games incredibly strict and short development cycles. Only now has the IP been put back on the right track with N. Sane, Nitro-Fueled, the mobile game, and Crash 4, but I imagine we would've gotten stuff like this a lot sooner if Sony had just bough the IP from Universal in 1999. Spyro was the basically the same situation btw.

Sonic the Hedgehog was hurt by the loss of Hirokazu Yasuhara, Sonic being a lot less popular in Japan, SoJ letting Sonic Team revel in their worst indulgences with Sonic Adventure, and the death of SEGA as a console manufacturer.

The Rayman IP has managed to remain consistently great thanks to being wholly owned by Ubisoft and having its original creator around. But the problem there is that we basically don't get any Rayman games if Michel Ancel is too busy or has no motivation to make one.

Rare has become an entirely different studio since the 90s and have expressed that they have very little interest in developing a new Banjo-Kazooie game. MS also has little motivation to resurrect the IP because the Xbox audience isn't asking for it.

And Naughty Dog has also become an entirely different studio following the departure of Jason Rubin and Andy Gavin and has also stated that they have no interest in making another Jak & Daxter (or any kind of cartoony platformer for that matter). Sony also has little motivation to resurrect the series because the post-PS2 PlayStation audience isn't really asking for it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
It's a tough split between Banjo Kazooie and Jak 1, with Astro Bot and Psychonauts close behind.

But I wanna give a shout out to a lovely little game, that most people have forgotten that I loved back in the 2000's which deserves a bit of love in a thread like this.

Kya Dark Lineage. A super fun game that was extremely technically proficient in a similar way to Jak 1. Also bonus points for some decent representation with the main character. Check it out if you can.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Controversial opinion time, I don't particularly care for any 3D Mario in the first place nor do I go for many of the games that followed it's lead.

The very first Tomb Raider has my vote. I like it's challenging approach to platforming and the first game is before they added way too much shooting to the mix. I also love Psychonauts but that's more for the writing and adventure game aspects rather than the platforming that initially had me abandon the game before it gets good with the Milkman level.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Spyro, Sly and Prince of Persia SOT are top tier for me.

Portal counts for me even with the heavy emphasis of puzzles.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
This thread makes me a little sad, because the lack of variety makes it so clear that the 3D plarformer's popularity was really short lived. I know they're not completely gone, but I sure would like to see more of them these days.

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
Psychonauts for me. The creativity and variety of levels was great, the game mechanics maybe weren't the most polished but nevertheless worked well and was fun to play.. it was also really refreshing to play something in the genre with actually likeable characters and good writing.
Characters like Sonic just become awful after the gave him voice..

If we count 2.5D too I'll give a shoutout to Klonoa.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Psychonauts and Banjo for sure.

I don't really count ratchet and clank as a platformer but I love that franchise.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I've always had some weird feelings about Portal being considered a platformer, and yet I totally get it. It's not a shooter, it therefore can't be a First Person Shooter. But for example, Half Life 1. It features platforming, does it having guns and also fitting under the label FPS make it not a platformer? I feel like Portal and games of it's ilk demand their own genre listing. I realize I'm the girl who came in here joking about DKC being a "3D" platformer, but I do this less because I find actual meaning in calling it such and more just using it as an exercise to question some of these labels in general.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I've always had some weird feelings about Portal being considered a platformer, and yet I totally get it. It's not a shooter, it therefore can't be a First Person Shooter. But for example, Half Life 1. It features platforming, does it having guns and also fitting under the label FPS make it not a platformer? I feel like Portal and games of it's ilk demand their own genre listing

you shoot portals
from your portal gun
its a fps with puzzle elements/focus

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Banjo-Kazooie. It was the first game I played when I got my N64 as a kid. I still play it every year and it has aged incredibly well. Love everything about that game.

TOM 2

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Planet Spaceship
I remember enjoying Spyro as a kid. Gonna start the trilogy soon. I loved DK64 too but never tried Banjo Kazooie. I've been playing Yooka-Laylee lately. Poi was also a decent little 64-inspired platformer.

A Hat in Time on Switch though...what a mess. I had high hopes for it too.

OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Darn, the 3D platformer genre is exactly as small as I feared.

Toss up on rocket robot on wheels and Vexx.
For me it's Cloudbuilt, and it's not even close
The best 3D-platformer that (almost) nobody played:

s7QAyTy.jpg
But I wanna give a shout out to a lovely little game, that most people have forgotten that I loved back in the 2000's which deserves a bit of love in a thread like this.

Kya Dark Lineage. A super fun game that was extremely technically proficient in a similar way to Jak 1. Also bonus points for some decent representation with the main character. Check it out if you can.

Shout-outs to you guys for naming games that I didn't know about.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Banjo and Ratchet & Clank. I always thought Crash, Ape Escape, Spyro and Croc were awful in comparison to 3D Mario (although admittedly I only played the demos from PS Magazine).

It's a very difficult comparison tbh because Nintendo have one of their top internal teams making 3D Mario games with a massive budget vs much smaller teams / budgets of the games I mentioned above outside of maybe Crash but even then ND were in no way what they're today in the 90's. It would be like ND making a modern open level 3D Crash with a budget of $50 million. I'm sure that would be phenomenal and a real competitor to Mario Odyssey in terms of level design and art direction but it will unfortunately never happen. That would probably be great for ND employees mental health after creating the horrors of TLOU II.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Recent ones, Super Lucky's Tale is quite good and greatly overlooked.

Astro Bot is one of the bests ever... Damn shame even on VR people ignored it.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a very broad definition of what makes a "platformer". Does Katamary Damacy count?

522631-katamari-damacy-reroll-768x432_0.jpg

If not, gotta go with this:
images

Jet Set Radio Future

OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
It's either Sonic Robo Blast 2 or A Hat in Time. I've been playing SRB2 since when the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure 2 was the newest game in town, and it's really incredible how far this fangame has come since the early days. 2.2's release late last year was also the first time it became a bona fide favorite of mine for reasons beyond nostalgia and sentimentality; it's brilliantly designed and the developers go incredible lengths to improve the experience with each update, even with incremental minor patches.

I am super pleased that at least one other person mentioned SRB2. 🙂

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Spyro for being so chill and atmospheric. And that's inclusive of Mario. Not a fan of the 3D Mario games at all.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm... Tomb Raider 2.
Toss up on rocket robot on wheels and Vexx. Vexx is so good stat the first 15 minutes

Wow I'm honestly impressed that TR and Vexx got mentioned this quickly. BK is my absolute favourite but these are all fantastic platformers for their own reasons. Sly 1 is up there too.

I also played some Croc again recently and its still remarkably solid.

DNice

Oct 2, 2018
Astro bot stands alone because of the vr component. As I've gotten older, platformers have had less and less appeal to me. Astro bot changed all that and then some.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Banjo-Kazooie, Rayman 2, Crash Bandicoot 2 and Ape Escape. But if I had to choose one, Banjo-Kazooie

By the way, I've veen replaying Jak & Daxter for the first time in quite a lot of years and I'm a bit disappointed, the jumping feels a bit too heavy for me, it seems you can barely reach anything without double jumping and the worlds are smaller than I remembered and not that interesting. And I loved this game as a kid

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, none of them. None of them hold a candle to the Marios.