• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 helped me a lot when I was feeling extremely depressed (I even went immediately on to Persona 4 Golden afterwards to keep the good vibes flowing).
I was going to suggest this, because I would imagine during this time you distance from people, but Persona is like having friends to check in with after a few hours of gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
Obligatory Preface that media/games can't cure or solve depression, always seek medical advice, medication, therapy, lifestyle changes, etc.

For me I find games to be an effective barometer for when my depression is really bad. If I suddenly can't play a game that I know is good or engaging, I know I'm in a deeper pit than I realized.

Deleted member 117798

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jun 8, 2022
When I was going through a particularly bad time last year and needed a distraction, A Short Hike was a great way to experience the fun of adventuring whilst also being incredibly wholesome. It's a relatively short game (2-3 hours for the main story) but I've spent even more hours since then just admiring the views and experimenting with the platforming. There's also a surprising variety of activities besides the main adventure, including races, scavenger hunts and fishing. When you eventually reach the top of the mountain peak and fly off it, you get to see how far you've come since the very beginning and that experience is something I'll always treasure.

Oct 28, 2017
My tastes are weird and my depression is as well.

If I need comfort, Metal Gear Solid 1 is there for me. Sometimes KH1, FF7 or FFX. They're games I know well enough to go on autopilot.

If I need to block the world out. Tropico's campaign or City Skylines. I can play both all the way through and lose days.

My tried and true game is NBA 2k GM mode. I make a challenge to win the championship with all 30 teams. It's simple, mind numbing, rewarding when I win.

RedLangley

Oct 21, 2020
During the worst period of depression I've had the only game that managed to retain my attention was Genshin Impact. Mainly because I found exploring that world very engaging and the relatively simple (but deep) combat mechanics made it feel less daunting than playing anything else.

As others have mentioned, Stardew Valley is also a comforting game to me and the Civilization series has been a pretty great way to immerse myself into something for a few hours when I don't want to think about other aspects of life.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Starting a new world or joining a new server in Minecraft does the trick. It's those first few step that lead to your first big house and massive storage rooms that just make me zen like nothing else.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Legend of Zelda and Persona are great for this imo.

I'm replaying Skyward Sword on Switch and having a blast and my period playing and completing P4 Golden on PC was one of the best gaming moments I've ever had.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Astro's Playroom, Doom Eternal, anything that's a sensory overload basically

EDIT: wow, I guess I'm very different from most people in this thread. Usually I need an injection of video gaming adrenaline into my veins to feel better

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Good call on Revenge (3 is a better game, 4 is easier brain off). Brain off plus the classic soundtrack works so well.

Slay The Spire to a degree although I'm going to have to uninstall it again, I've hit 2,072 hours and I need a break and to actually think.

Slay the spire is aggravating me a bit. I find the RNG always messed me up at some point and I have nothing to fight against the onslaught.

To answer the question here:
I absolutely love racing games for this. I love to play GT7 currently and playing through Grid Legends.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
If I'm feeling down nothing lifts me up like Sonic games, even the fan made ones. The feeling of speed and momentum just tickles something in my brain like nothing else.

Ryszard

Apr 7, 2018
I'm not an expert, although I've been and still am in similar problems. But I think, although it varies from people to people, it's important that the game demands your undivided attention.

That's the reason a lot of people here is recommending Souls games, because when you play hard games, you have to be really focused, and thus you don't have time to think in something else.

Souls games work for me too, but it's a risky decision, because they can frustrate you a lot and not improving the situation.

That's the reason, for me the best option is puzzle games. They demand (usually) only your brain, not skill dependant (and your brain is what you want to target and distract), they give you plenty of reward feeling, and they are usually relaxing in graphics and music.

It's true that some puzzle games can be really difficult and frustrating, but if you chose carefully, they are a great option.

For me, that game is A Monster's Expedition. It's a really beautiful, soothing game, with the perfect challenge and, although it may sound weird in a puzzle game, it has the perfect pacing. Basically it's an open world, no level selection menu, and that means you always have several open routes if you get stuck, and, when you face a tough puzzle, usually they give you a couple easier afterwards to boost your confidence. It's extremely well design, with plenty of personality, and again, really soothing. The sounds of the sea, the trees... The gamefeel is perfect.

I know puzzle games are not everyone's cup of tea, but for this situations I think they really help.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg

Final_Fantasy_8_ntsc-front.jpg

Ffixbox.jpg

Always <3
This for me, but also:

600px-FireRed_EN_boxart.png

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anything that doesn't make it feel like I'm on auto-pilot, and instead I am actively trying. Stuff like the Souls games. Or particular PvP games where I'm thinking of outplaying my opponent and not, well, depression.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Chrono Cross does it for me. The soundtrack and art are phenomenal and always cheer me up.

El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Feel good games like Katamari Damacy are my pick-me-ups. Here are other ones that live rent-free in my head:

• Journey
  • Toem
  • LocoRoco
  • Tearaway
  • Astro's Playroom
  • Animal Crossing
I've also heard very good things of Chicory.

BentMyWookiee

Oct 27, 2017
Less thinking and more feeling is definitely what works for me I think. So games that I can kinda vibe with like Katamari Damacy or Sayonara Wild Hearts seems to work. You can get just sucked into a world of good music and simple but stimulating gameplay and just do your thing for a while.
I struggle with depression and anxiety and I have definitely found that Katamari Damacy is a really helpful one for me too. Since Katamari works for you, then I would suggest Jet Set Radio as well. At least for me it's a little quirky and has some great vibes that seem to hit just right in the way that Katamari does.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
At one of the worst moments of my life I decided to replay Earthbound. It gave me a small pocket of happiness in a dark time, so now when I'm feeling down I turn it on and play it.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
i think games with an emphasis on roleplaying and getting lost in rich worlds.
So Bioware Games for example

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Elden Ring and FFXIV (picked it up 3 months before Endwalker).

I'm also seeing a pattern in the thread between challenging, immersive or task-oriented games. It makes sense considering roots of depression. The three types combined can help with taking mini-accomplishments, escapism, and staying in control which all can contribute to regulating dopamine and serotonin.

Based on that, I might pick up Divinity Original Sin 2, Stardew Valley, and Nioh 2.

Thank you for posting this thread, OP. It was timely.

deliquate

Teyvat Traveler
Feb 25, 2021
Stardew Valley was all I played in my darkest times.

Joining the crowd on this one. A couple of people have said that ultra happy games are jarring when they're very depressed and I think one thing that makes Stardew special is that it's warm and comforting but it's not faking you out. Plenty of villagers are unhappy with how their lives have turned out, or they're putting up facades, or struggling... the background behind the gifts and festivals and such can be really bittersweet.

Exercise works for me, for those interested. I know it feels like a cop out what the doctor recommends it and your like "THAT'S what your prescription is?".. But it helps.

I know that I'm on my way out of the depression hole when I start exercising. It's such a huge boost when I'm ready to engage with the world again. But when I'm really down, I just can't.

For me I find games to be an effective barometer for when my depression is really bad. If I suddenly can't play a game that I know is good or engaging, I know I'm in a deeper pit than I realized.

Yeah this is super true for me as well. "But wait I love this game (or ought to love this game) it's great... oh..."

Stardew Valley is also a comforting game to me and the Civilization series has been a pretty great way to immerse myself into something for a few hours when I don't want to think about other aspects of life.

Yeah just a counterpoint to that earlier comment about how the mood of Stardew valley is so great--it's also the addictive gameplay loop, that "Just one more day" or "Just one more turn" rhythm that makes time disappear. Less wholesome but very effective.

ragolliangatan

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 31, 2019
BOTW or Skyrim for me. Something I can lose myself to,

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 really pulled me through after a suicide attempt back in late 2017

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Fascinating to see the range of responses here. Some folks want chill games that surround them with good vibes, while others what much more difficult, demanding games to completely focus their attention on something else entirely.

Either way, I'm glad video games are able to provide some sort of escape for folks when things are shitty.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
FFXIV makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Pure escapism too. Persona 5 was another good one.

Jun 9, 2022
I'd go with Firewatch. Love the setting and atmosphere, the story is engaging, but piecemeal enough that you still get the exploration vibe and don't feel bogged down with cutscenes or anything. And it's short enough to revisit without feeling like a huge investment.

To be fair, Starless works pretty well too.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Stardew Valley by far for me.
Something about having a routine, and goals you are constantly striving to reach. Combined with the amazing music and charming characters, it feels like a warm blanket wrapped around me. I've played like 800 hours of it over the years.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call it a cure, but Dyson Sphere Program is pretty calm and satisfying. There's no time pressure or anything, so you just do whatever you want and slowly watch your factory get bigger and bigger.

When you can finally build a Dyson Swarm or sphere, it's incredibly satisfying to watch it come together.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Pinball, especially in the dark. It takes such focus, and is such a sensory overload that nothing else in the world exists.

Jardim

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 7, 2021
Final Fantasy XIV. For about two years, I was in deep depression, and couldn't even bring myself to play games, which is my favorite hobby besides writing.

Playing through Realm Reborn and Heavensward filled me with such warmth, the final fantasy references, the joyful music and the incredible community around the game, even on random encounters like matchmaking into a dungeon and people saying "hello, hows everyone doing today" "Yay, we dit it, thanks for the help guys" made me smile even through those dark days.

I'm only at the beginning of Stormblood still but I always reserve a few days of FFXIV whenever I feel down. It always makes me happy.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing, anymore. I've been dealing with long-term emotional blunting and anhedonia for a few years now and even my favorite games don't elicit much emotion.

When anhedonia is at its worst, it's impossible to even begin playing favorite things.

OP
OP
Valcrist

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone takes depression differently, but I hope everyone sees improvement in their symptoms or finds something here that helps them cope with it a little more. Games have done that for me many times, and while I struggle to find things that help me cope, I'm glad I'm a part of a community like this full of people who can help each other and share their experiences.

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 2 was the game I needed during a very rough period of my life. I still get nostalgic whenever I hear the music or screenshots of some areas in the game.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Funnily enough, I find often depressing games like Silent Hill 2 and DIsco Elysium comforting when I'm feeling down.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
Mario Odyssey helped me out a lot right after my dog passed away. Generally though, it's hard for me to even want to play games when I'm feeling down.