• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but the games could have been rated higher if capcom didnt ruin the series with releasing terrible games
Maybe but I don't think their sales potential would be noticeably higher, especially compared to God of War, as much as I may prefer Devil May Cry. Maybe I'll be wrong with Devil May Cry 5 but I don't see it hitting the kind of status something like God of War has hit

Zelda 1 is a terrible game, i guess that explains why i don't have botw in high estime. Ultimately if i do a zelda marathon again one day i'll just skip 1 and 2. They just aren't worth my time
I don't think that's it. I don't like the NES Zelda titles either and even ALTTP isn't a game I adore as much as a lot of folk but BOTW is still easily one of my favorite games of all time

DevilMayCryGuy

You never played TLoU. It's not a cinematic game. It's not a narrative experience. It's very much a horror game with tight tank controls. Just because the writing isn't trash like RE's, it doesn't mean it's some flashy, cinematic game. It's not Uncharted with a horror skin.
Oh wow I'm glad you know everything about my life and what I have and haven't played. Tell me - what's my least favourite game?

I have played TLOU and it is a cinematic narrative experience - that cannot be denied and if you think it isn't you are blind. You can disagree when it comes to what degree it's a flashy cinematic game but to say it isn't that is flat out wrong.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You never played TLoU. It's not a cinematic game. It's not a narrative experience. It's very much a horror game with tight tank controls. Just because the writing isn't trash like RE's, it doesn't mean it's some flashy, cinematic game. It's not Uncharted with a horror skin.

I see that most people nowdays have no clue what tank controls mean.

DevilMayCryGuy

Hmm? Hasn't God of War always been more successful and popular than Devil May Cry? I don't think something like Devil May Cry could have ever really gone on to sell something like God of War, not when the latter is more in line with what gamers look for. Not that games like Devil May Cry 2 and DmC haven't hurt the brand but I don't think that's what prevents it from being as big as God of War
You're on the money here, sadly. That said I think DMC would be a bigger brand if Capcom hadn't been doing basically nothing with the series for ten years. The NT game was a ridiculous idea considering that 4 sold nearly 3 million copies in 2008 and alienating those fans was never going to work out in their favour.

Sakujou

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
its a shame how the media and the people treated wii u and the xbox one at the beginning.

yes, there were flaws, but seeing how the switch is faring now, and how the iphone x with its kinect included notch are being praised by everyone NOW, it just boggles my mind.

oh and dont forget the whole always online: the ps4 is a piece of shit without being online. when i bought mgs5+ps4, i didnt have steady internet. i was not able to start-up mgs5 because the game and the OS were asking me to go online to check the licence. it got me mad angry about this and thinking that sony initiated that their "console" is also something which can be used offline was just straight up BS.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
BotW > MM > OoT > TP > WW > SS is the correct order of the 3D Zeldas, so not amongst the weakest.
SMB3 is way better than World.
FFIX > VII > VIII is canon.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how there can even be Sony fanboys. There is no unifying element, no "philosophy", only a logo attached to different products.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, add me to the group that thinks SMB3 is better than SMW. The art style in SMW is worse, the powers are worse with less variety and the worlds are aesthetically too samey in comparison to how different most worlds are in SMB3. the variety just isn't there in SMW.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I don't understand how there can even be Sony fanboys. There is no unifying element, no "philosophy", only a logo attached to different products.
If you like AAA cinematic single player games, they're the most prominent publisher in the field. I don't see why someone can't be a 'fanboy' of that. I would certainly consider myself to be a PlayStation fan, even if I think Horizon is their only great game this generation. I'm still a fan of what they stand for.

Oct 26, 2017
You're on the money here, sadly. That said I think DMC would be a bigger brand if Capcom hadn't been doing basically nothing with the series for ten years. The NT game was a ridiculous idea considering that 4 sold nearly 3 million copies in 2008 and alienating those fans was never going to work out in their favour.
That I can agree with. My guess is that they were prioritizing larger franchises at the time and something like Devil May Cry sort of fell through the cracks, especially when DmC ended up not being well received by fans, even though I personally thought it was a fun game, just not as good as 3 or 4. At any rate, they're making a new one now and, with Capcom's past two notable major titles turning out well, I think I'll be optimistic for it

tencents

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
User Warned: Hostility + Personal Attacks
Oh wow I'm glad you know everything about my life and what I have and haven't played. Tell me - what's my least favourite game?

I have played TLOU and it is a cinematic narrative experience - that cannot be denied and if you think it isn't you are blind. You can disagree when it comes to what degree it's a flashy cinematic game but to say it isn't that is flat out wrong.

Making conclusory statements isn't an argument.

Cinematic games are games that splice short cutscenes into the gameplay (momentarily taking away control from the player to show a short cutscene) and are generally set-piece driven. TLoU doesn't do the former as Uncharted does and how many set-pieces drive TLoU?

I know, I know. It's easy to tell someone they're blind if they don't agree and just leave it at that.

I see that most people nowdays have no clue what tank controls mean.

https://www.giantbomb.com/tank-controls/3015-4647/

TLoU fits that bill. Now, if you're done posting snide responses that lack substance and are just meant to stroke your ego (god knows your real life "successes" aren't doing that for you), get out of this conversation.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Splatoon 1 >>> Splatoon 2.

Less disconnects (better netcode?), higher TTK, more strategy options, better implementation of supers, better implementation of skills (minus some balance issues, but that's not the same thing), better map, minigames while waiting for a match, better single player, more cohesive style, more cohesive soundtrack.
I kinda agree but maybe it's more because I burned out on 1 already and 2 came so early in the Switch's lifespan that there isn't too much new about it thus being rather repetitive to me. Still a great game though.

I hate to harp on but I have seen such arrogance (not a huge amount here so I'm not calling anyone out) from those who dismiss my valid concerns regarding the new God of War. I know I've talked about that game a lot but the mad love for that game (even prior to release) is a bit frightening.
I hear you. Not going to look at the GoW threads anymore.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.giantbomb.com/tank-controls/3015-4647/

TLoU fits that bill. Now, if you're done posting snide responses that lack substance and are just meant to stroke your ego (god knows your real life "successes" aren't doing that for you), get out of this conversation.

You've already made my argument for me.

You don't know what tank controls actually are and you just linked me the first thing that poped up on google and using that as an argument.

TLOU doesn't have tank controls. Please do your homework next time before making baseless claims and try to do some actual research rather then copy pasting the first thing on google, ''lol here you go, ego stroke''.

Reminds me of one old thread back on Gaf named ''I beat Resident Evil 4 for the first time. I still don't like tank controls.'' and the whole first page were clueless people telling OP that he's wrong and that RE4 in fact doesn't have tank controls. Got a good laugh out of that one.

Dec 3, 2017
The nintendo 64 is the worst of all the major consoles released so far.

So a system with Mario 64 and Zelda 64 on it is worse than the 3DO, CD-I, Virtual Boy, and Atari Jaguar?

iu

Deleted member 35587

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
London
Amongst gamers (excluding initial reviews) , Super Mario Odyssey is probably the most underated game of the generation or ever.

People like it, but not enough.

It deserves even more praise than BOTW gets.

*EDIT* Also all open world games are overated.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
LOL, why does the header for that GB Tank Controls article have a pic of the Steel Battalion controller?

So strange.

Dec 3, 2017
its a shame how the media and the people treated wii u and the xbox one at the beginning.

yes, there were flaws, but seeing how the switch is faring now, and how the iphone x with its kinect included notch are being praised by everyone NOW, it just boggles my mind.

oh and dont forget the whole always online: the ps4 is a piece of shit without being online. when i bought mgs5+ps4, i didnt have steady internet. i was not able to start-up mgs5 because the game and the OS were asking me to go online to check the licence. it got me mad angry about this and thinking that sony initiated that their "console" is also something which can be used offline was just straight up BS.

Actually, it was refreshing how the Wii U and Xbox One were treated. People actually called Nintendo and Microsoft on their bullshit. They were awful machines.

Nov 3, 2017
My guy said TLOU has tank controls I'm howling

Amongst gamers (excluding initial reviews) , Super Mario Odyssey is probably the most underated game of the generation or ever.

I couldn't believe it when BOTW was getting more praise than Odyssey despite being worse in pretty much every field

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

I think the game is great, but not sure how it can considered underrated. I guess unless you mean just compared to BOTW. In that regard it is.

BotW > MM > OoT > TP > WW > SS is the correct order of the 3D Zeldas, so not amongst the weakest.
Having TP below OoT and MM.
tumblr_nkwxmtwPPz1u1ry24o2_r1_400.gif

Remnant

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a big fan of Hellblade. I thought the story was superb and the narration over the Nordic mythology was done beautifully – helped significantly by the heights of its technical graphics and the emphatic performance of its cast – but the lack of interesting puzzles or anything pertaining to organic gameplay and the mind wrecking bugs and glitches stops it of achieving true glory.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
TLoU does not have tank controls. Tank controls are rotation instead of strafe on the lateral stick movement. TLoU does have a lot of weight and momentum in its player movement though.
Having TP below OoT and MM.
tumblr_nkwxmtwPPz1u1ry24o2_r1_400.gif
TP's dungeons are better, in fact they're the best in the series, but the shit between them? A huge fucking barren ass world? The opening hours of painful tedium? The constant moronic interruptions from Midna?

Nah, nah, no, not better, not even close.

Last edited:

tencents

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
You've already made my argument for me.

You don't know what tank controls actually are and you just linked me the first thing that poped up on google and using that as an argument.

TLOU doesn't have tank controls. Please do your homework next time before making baseless claims and try to do some actual research rather then copy pasting the first thing on google, ''lol here you go, ego stroke''.

Reminds me of one old thread back on Gaf named ''I beat Resident Evil 4 for the first time. I still don't like tank controls.'' and the whole first page were clueless people telling OP that he's wrong and that RE4 in fact doesn't have tank controls. Got a good laugh out of that one.

You're just making conclusory statements. That's not an argument. It's just conclusory statements. When you realize what an argument looks like, feel free to reply. You'll waste less of our time (although your time probably isn't worth much) if you do that rather than writing line after line of conclusions. Until then, don't bother replying.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You're just making conclusory statements. That's not an argument. It's just conclusory statements. When you realize what an argument looks like, feel free to reply. You'll waste less of our time (although your time probably isn't worth much) if you do that rather than writing line after line of conclusions. Until then, don't bother replying.

There's no argument cuz there's actually no need for one in your case. Chill down with the personal shit.

You've lost ''this'' as soon as you said TLOU has tank controls and linked the first thing Google showed you to try and give meaning to your baseless claim.

There's really nothing more there needs to be said since you pretty much played yourself.

Sad.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Imo,

Skyward Sword was the best designed 3D Zelda until BotW.

Sunshine was the best designed 3D Mario until Odyssey.

Xenoblade Chronicles X was the BEST non-Zelda game on Wii U.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I don't think gaming has matured lately. I think it's just gotten more pretentious and uses movie-like qualities to market itself better. Social issues explored in games oftentimes comes across as narrow-visioned to me, with single games exploring a single case of a single issue. I need more games that feel all-encompassing, imaginative and relatable in a way where it doesn't require me to indulge out of necessity to get enjoyment from it.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I don't think gaming has matured lately. I think it's just gotten more pretentious and uses movie-like qualities to market itself better. Social issues explored in games oftentimes comes across as narrow-visioned to me, with single games exploring a single case of a single issue. I need more games that feel all-encompassing, imaginative and relatable in a way where it doesn't require me to indulge out of necessity to get enjoyment from it.
Have you played What Remains of Edith Finch?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
There's no such thing as a Metroidvania. It's either like Metroid or like an Igavania(SoTN and the GBA/DS games). If a game like Metroid doesn't have tons of rpg shit like levels, stats, tons of weapons, armors, special skills, and other equipables then it's just like Metroid.
That's it.
No one makes an Igavania except Iga. And it's a fucking shame.

There's a game called Valdis Story: Abyssal City is probably the closest thing I've played to a Igavania I've played. ANd it has all the stuff you just mentioned. And then some. Multiple characters, tons of spells, techniques, super moves, weapons, armors, assist characters you name it. Has a great art-style too. You might wanna check it out on Steam.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Persona 5. While a very beautiful game.

Is a step back for the series. It does a bad job at progression feeling natural. Ot also makes the player feel too restricted with free time.

Also the characters in the party really feel like their tropes. It's a shame the confidants feel more fleshed out.

3,4 ok. P5? Ehhh

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

This is an interesting take.

You are correct that most indie titles that want to make a statement pick a single issue to focus on. Papers Please, Gone Home, Actual Sunlight, This War of Mine, Cart Life, That Dragon Cancer, Papo & Yo, and more all have insightful things to say even if they do stick with one primary subject.

Honesty, I'm not sure where you'd go from there at this point. Empathy Simulators are a bit of a new thing and at this point I'm just happy to see such representation in the marketplace.

I mean I guess I could see an adventure style game with a cast of characters each struggling with a variety of issues touched on above. Maybe something like Life Is Strange?

But I'm not sure of the commercial viability at this point. That's why most of the games I mentioned are smaller, more intimate productions. Perhaps as the medium continues to mature we'll see a greater demand for product that tackles more honest, real-world life experiences. And maybe that will earn larger budgets for these types of games. I know I'd fully back a $60 game grounded in the here & now.

I'd bet that we'll get there before too long.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Empathy Simulators are a bit of a new thing and at this point I'm just happy to see such representation in the marketplace.
I'm not gonna say a game like Paper's Please is a game that's only there to serve as representation, but as you say, you can call it an "Empathy simulator" and personally -- this is just my sensibility, not claiming anything is actually wrong -- I don't quite care for it. If it gave someone an effective experience either emotionally, intellectually or just as entertainment who am I to say that isn't valid, but yeah, basically indie games. I find in general, even whether it's social issues or gameplay the market these days is crowded with indies where there's just a sole gimmick or hook that has to sustain the entire experience, and that singular focus in a game just doesn't do it to me, and I think my point is, i don't think it being indie and the scale of an indie production is the limitation here, it's the concept and idea where I desperately crave more games to think more on the whole instead of nitpicky subjects.

For example, Dragon Age Inquisition (whoo boy here's a bad example but let's go!) is not a game about being accepted as transgender... yet this is a theme that pops up in the game as a (IMO) believable facet to the story. It didn't even feel like a main thread of the plot but it's not just throwaway either. It does explore this as a theme at some point, but that is inside a much larger experience that's about saving the world; that is about dragons fighting even wickeder dragons; is about being a ho-hum strong military/diplomatic organization; that is about love etc.

I'm definitely asking for a focus, I don't wanna give the impression that bigger equals better or that stuffing a game with disparate themes makes it better, but I'm really craving games to be somewhere more in the middle of games such as Papers Please and your average Open World game when it comes to their take on themes such as social issues and when it comes to showing gaming as a mature art form. The maturity is in the game, that's both gameplay, story and the general experience you get from a multifaceted interactive product. I'm just sayin' in my book games have found pretense, not maturity when it comes to nitpickingly addressing social issues as singular experiences or selling games based on what they offer as representation.

I understand how we got here, because games grew to be a man's world due to who started making them and how they catered inwards to that audience for the longest time, but I really feel now that we're so aware of this that and the other issue of representation and we have addressed such things as experimental indie games, I'm ready for games to seek away from all the "grounded, mature, emotional, representation" phase it's gotten through and just start thinking about imaginative experiences as an artform; as a medium again. Do what a movie, book or song CAN'T do instead of attempting to recreate life and groundedness or simulate empathy as a sole focus.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem will be a financial success and Bioware will live on. Some on Era/internet will continue to deny that it is a success like how they are in denial over Sea of Thieves being a success.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna say a game like Paper's Please is a game that's only there to serve as representation, but as you say, you can call it an "Empathy simulator" and personally -- this is just my sensibility, not claiming anything is actually wrong -- I don't quite care for it. If it gave someone an effective experience either emotionally, intellectually or just as entertainment who am I to say that isn't valid, but yeah, basically indie games. I find in general, even whether it's social issues or gameplay the market these days is crowded with indies where there's just a sole gimmick or hook that has to sustain the entire experience, and that singular focus in a game just doesn't do it to me, and I think my point is, i don't think it being indie and the scale of an indie production is the limitation here, it's the concept and idea where I desperately crave more games to think more on the whole instead of nitpicky subjects.

For example, Dragon Age Inquisition (whoo boy here's a bad example but let's go!) is not a game about being accepted as transgender... yet this is a theme that pops up in the game as a (IMO) believable facet to the story. It didn't even feel like a main thread of the plot but it's not just throwaway either. It does explore this as a theme at some point, but that is inside a much larger experience that's about saving the world; that is about dragons fighting even wickeder dragons; is about being a ho-hum strong military/diplomatic organization; that is about love etc.

I'm definitely asking for a focus, I don't wanna give the impression that bigger equals better or that stuffing a game with disparate themes makes it better, but I'm really craving games to be somewhere more in the middle of games such as Papers Please and your average Open World game when it comes to their take on themes such as social issues and when it comes to showing gaming as a mature art form. The maturity is in the game, that's both gameplay, story and the general experience you get from a multifaceted interactive product. I'm just sayin' in my book games have found pretense, not maturity when it comes to nitpickingly addressing social issues as singular experiences or selling games based on what they offer as representation.

I understand how we got here, because games grew to be a man's world due to who started making them and how they catered inwards to that audience for the longest time, but I really feel now that we're so aware of this that and the other issue of representation and we have addressed such things as experimental indie games, I'm ready for games to seek away from all the "grounded, mature, emotional, representation" phase it's gotten through and just start thinking about imaginative experiences as an artform; as a medium again. Do what a movie, book or song CAN'T do instead of attempting to recreate life and groundedness or simulate empathy as a sole focus.

I really don't disagree with any of this.

I guess seeing the medium evolve from the beginning, I have noted a real, genuine curve trending upwards of games become more sophisticated for broader audiences. We'll always have "shoot you in the face" game experiences, but over the past decade in particular I've seen the net being thrown far wider, opening the platform up to more diverse choices.

The confluence of digital distribution, self-publishing, variable pricing models, and cheap / powerful development tools have brought us experiences that would be unheard of a decade ago, when games were gated by Big Publisher middlemen and strict full-price $50 business models.

So I guess it's all to say that we're heading in the right direction. We may not be there right now, but the trend continues to look bright for both developers and consumers who want meaningful gameplay experiences with more meat on the bone than traditional escapist power-fantasy paradigms.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Splatoon 1 >>> Splatoon 2.

Less disconnects (better netcode?), higher TTK, more strategy options, better implementation of supers, better implementation of skills (minus some balance issues, but that's not the same thing), better map, minigames while waiting for a match, better single player, more cohesive style, more cohesive soundtrack.
Agree except for single player. Torn on music.

I liked the balloon mode in local multiplayer.

tencents

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): continuing to act with hostility towards other members despite being warned to stop this same behavior by a moderator.
There's no argument cuz there's actually no need for one in your case. Chill down with the personal shit.

You've lost ''this'' as soon as you said TLOU has tank controls and linked the first thing Google showed you to try and give meaning to your baseless claim.

There's really nothing more there needs to be said since you pretty much played yourself.

Sad.

I'm right and you're wrong! That's all you've been spouting non-stop. And no, the giant bomb link was not the first tihng that showed up. Nor would it matter if it was. What matters is the content of the source.

Maybe you should try a discussion that's more your speed. Like arguing with a 5-year-old whether "cat" is spelled with a "c" or a "k." You might actually have something worthwhile to contribute to that discussion.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm right and you're wrong! That's all you've been spouting non-stop. And no, the giant bomb link was not the first tihng that showed up. Nor would it matter if it was. What matters is the content of the source.

Maybe you should try a discussion that's more your speed. Like arguing with a 5-year-old whether "cat" is spelled with a "c" or a "k." You might actually have something worthwhile to contribute to that discussion.
Wow, chill on the attacks. Also, TLOU absolutely does not have tank controls. You can argue that you don't like it or don't like the controls. It's also not a flight sim or a sports game.

tencents

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Wow, chill on the attacks. Also, TLOU absolutely does not have tank controls. You can argue that you don't like it or don't like the controls. It's also not a flight sim or a sports game.

1. Why should I stop with the personal attacks when he started and kept with the insults?
2. You're making conclusory statements too. Conclusions aren't arguments.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wind Waker is a bad game. Skyward Sword managed to be worse. Both bottom tier Zelda experiences that I wouldn't even recommend playing.
Splatoon 2 is the only game where motion controls have enhanced the experience.
Metroid Prime 3 s a bastardization of the series solely because they insisted on including awful motion controls.
Metroid Prime Trilogy is a definitively worse experience and if they port to Switch they better include the proper control scheme for 1 and 2.
Wii U sucked. Only Nintendo console to not have a justification for buying. Not one must play game exclusive to the platform.