mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
A part of me wishes Pelosi and Schumer had the sort of finesse in directing the Squad as Batman and co.

Another part of me realizes that this will backfire badly if word gets out.

Also, nice reference to DC: The New Frontier.
This whole episode had a bunch of meta commentary on real life events but that one line about there is a difference between knowing and proving could really pay off as a meta narrative if the Light can't prove anything but half the public for some reason is willing to believe they know the truth and still hold resentment against the league and outsiders.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Hero Registration Act was introduced during that time and explained the decline of superheroes due to the Comic Code.

Isn't that just a general DC reference? Since crisis ok infinte earths happened, and the earths were merged that's always been reasoning on how the JSA can be in the 30s/40s while having Superman and Batman the first modern heroes.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The producers were joking about how skechy Helga was at Comic Con, either she's going to have a heel turn, or the real twist will be she's not evil.

Only read half those spoilers, not gonna go any further. Normally wouldn't mind but that stuff is juicy and one of those surprises would've been nice.

Oct 25, 2017
There are multiple things at play here imo

Firstly, yeah, the budget definitely feels like it has taken a hit, primarily on the animation itself.

Secondly, as a board artist, I'm just noticing a lot of really flat or stiff staging choices. The first couple seasons definitely had more of this than I originally remembered, same with the fluctuation between animation quality. Not every episode looked as nice as that opening two-parter...

But thirdly, the character designs are altered in a way that's probably hurting line mileage. Phil Bourassa has been DC's go-to artist for god-knows how long at this point. He was design lead on Young Justice, and the majority of their DTV output. But the first couple seasons were a lot more streamlined. This season has a lot more in common with the DTV style, with a lot more complex shapes, anatomy, lighting, and detailing. Look at the difference between Batman in this season and previous seasons.

Young-Justice-Outsiders-Batman-Katana.jpg

latest

Even those seemingly minor changes to the demands of anatomy and lighting really add up when you're drawing extra cheekbone details, or extra lines to shape everyone's torsos.

Batman isn't even the most significant
latest

latest

to
latest

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
There are multiple things at play here imo

Firstly, yeah, the budget definitely feels like it has taken a hit, primarily on the animation itself.

Secondly, as a board artist, I'm just noticing a lot of really flat or stiff staging choices. The first couple seasons definitely had more of this than I originally remembered, same with the fluctuation between animation quality. Not every episode looked as nice as that opening two-parter...

But thirdly, the character designs are altered in a way that's probably hurting line mileage. Phil Bourassa has been DC's go-to artist for god-knows how long at this point. He was design lead on Young Justice, and the majority of their DTV output. But the first couple seasons were a lot more streamlined. This season has a lot more in common with the DTV style, with a lot more complex shapes, anatomy, lighting, and detailing. Look at the difference between Batman in this season and previous seasons.

Young-Justice-Outsiders-Batman-Katana.jpg

latest

Even those seemingly minor changes to the demands of anatomy and lighting really add up when you're drawing extra cheekbone details, or extra lines to shape everyone's torsos.

Batman isn't even the most significant
latest

latest

to
latest

From what I have seen, it seems that a lot of the designs for the main heroes and villains for the first season were repurposed from the Crisis on Two Earths project. Probably to be a cost saving measure, along with saving production time to not create new model packs (turnarounds, mouth charts, etc.) for Superman and co.

I haven't seen Season 3, but I'm certain it's a similar situation again, as Barry's Season 3 costume resembles the more recent DTV DC movies (Flashpoint, JLW, etc.) than his Season 1/Season 2 outfit.

UvIsPrK.jpg

latest

Last edited:

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The fact that they couldn't even animate the battle in the episode says all that needs to be said about the budget issues.
If the decision was due to budget it worked well, having the battle shown in Ken Burns-esque flashbacks seemed to dim the heroic aspects, which worked well considering the twist.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I haven't seen the episode yet, but seems someone is aligning with his comic book counterpart

Looks like Aqualad/man got himself a boyfriend

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's amazing how well the characters present themselves.

Metron exuded godly ambivalence in a handful of comments.

The hotline at the end was wonderful as well.

rottenpie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That Kaldur scene surprised me, lol

It was also great to see Superboy and Superman together again :) at least for a short while

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man Wesiman and his crew just gets it. It's amazing when watching him get Spider-man so right in Spectacular, but here he's playing with a whole universe, and even with remixing concepts and it all works so well and feels true to character.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they stick the landing for the end of the season. There are only a few episodes left, and I remember the first two seasons had some pacing issues toward the end.

May 9, 2019
Bruh this show is awesome.

Also, anyone else feeling they're going to subvert the Terra twist at this point?
I think so! I was annoyed when she joined the show because I'm just so over Terra and the Judas Contract storyline but they might make her do a 180 before she betrays them. I hope so.

Man Kaldur is my favorite character. I had no idea Weisman was going to make him Bi years back. I'm guessing CN didn't want that shown. Also him showing a bit of magic was nice. More Kaldur content please!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Really strong episode.

I was thinking "oh nice, the budget seems better this episode!", and then Brion didn't talk and they ended with the stills montage. At least it's more justified this episode, they were juggling a lot of stories and there wasn't really a lot of time left at the end of the episode.

The Kaldur stuff was good and people seem happier about it on Twitter, although a lot of the finer defitions are lost on me (Greg apologized in advance for anything he might screw up in the queer space, and that he's working on it).

This show is a really nice counterbalance to Titans lol, the difference in world building quality is insane.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
A really good episode this week, Miss Martian showing why she doesn't need her powers to be great, and I'm glad they never even brought up some sort of "I could read her mind and fix this" dilemma, a weaker show might have done that.

Really hoping that they don't play Judas Contract straight, would be much better since I found out the original story had Deathstroke and teen Tara sexually involved.

Also nice to have Victor just a bit more Cyborg'd, hope they bring him more into the fold now.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Between Terra and Dr. Jace, one of them is going to subvert the betrayal expectation. They're both so shady I can't imagine they'll play it straight with both of them.

As far as Terra and Deathstroke having a sexual relationship goes, normally I wouldn't expect them to touch it, but this season is definitely going hard into the unrated darkness. Like Titans would definitely do it.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clever thing i just realized but they switched the names up regarding Halo. In the comics Violet is the human persona killed and Halo takes Gabby as her identity. In YJ it's done the other way around.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as Terra and Deathstroke having a sexual relationship goes, normally I wouldn't expect them to touch it, but this season is definitely going hard into the unrated darkness. L
I honestly think they're going to completely subvert the Terra thing and it's just going to end with Terra ghosting Slade.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Really great episode this week, nice to see Cyborg not mope around.

So Granny thing opens a portal to a pocket dimension to torture/brainwash people, I assume it's the same in the comics?