My PS5...

• was horizontal - stays horizontal - perfectly balanced .. as all things should be

Votes: 906 44.8%
  • was horizontal - goes vertical - prove these naysayers wrong

Votes: 23 1.1%
  • was vertical - goes horizontal - I've changed my mind for reasons

Votes: 119 5.9%
  • was vertical - stays vertical - If he dies, he dies

Votes: 797 39.4%
  • Thor: The Dark Liquid Metal

Votes: 177 8.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2017
In addition to the potential issue with liquid metal being reported here, a lot of people seem to be unaware that the PlayStation 5 needs the stand attached when it's positioned vertically, else the bottom ventilation will have no clearance and the system will cook itself. My workplace that rents out those systems ended up installing 3rd party horizontal feet after a client almost broke one of the systems making that mistake.
Thanks for pointing this out. The PS5 design is awful. Needs the tacky flimsy plastic holder to even sit horizontally without tipping over and apparently needs it to prevent failure when vertical too. A redesign can't come soon enough.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
ERA went through the same thing with the Switch and screen protectors, throwing itself on the fainting couch.

YOU 100% WILL SCRATCH YOUR SCREEN THROUGH NORMAL USE UNLESS YOU USE A SCREEN PROTECTOR!!

...No. It's fine, really.
I assume you mean the dock scratching debacle?

I think there is valid reasons to use a screen protector since it has a plastic screen. Which is great for it not getting smashed by kids, but it can be a bit easier to scratch than say glass. The dock scratching the screen isn't probably the biggest reason I'd have suggested as to why someone should get one though, despite the issue getting a lot of coverage.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
There aren't many PCs that use liquid metal. I don't know where people get the idea that there are.

Don't put all of your faith in engineers. They're not perfect and never claim to be. The RROD 360 was heavily tested. The YLOD PS3 was heavily tested. The power cable for Nvidia's newest cards was heavily tested. AMD's 7900 XTX cooler was heavily tested.
Even the best engineered equipment will fail with time. I'm not sure that the vertical mounting of a PS5 can harm it, but I also don't believe engineers are infallible. Liquid metal is a risk, and they knew that.
I bet there are more than 30 million PCs world wide are using Liquid Metal. Hell we have cellphones and laptops using it. So if it was so susceptible to such a flaw that it could shift under pressure from a heatsink it would be far well known. This is FUD.

The pictures they show also show a burned chip, unless AMD didn't design an overheat protection in their chips they would not happen if the temperatures started to ramp up high enough to cause the damage. Try running a PC without a cooler, it instantly will power off.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
There is no place to put a horizontal PS5 in my house. It hasn't moved since launch day, and I will take my chances. I've not had a home console die yet. I have blind faith.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
awesome, i also don't have enough space to place it horizontally lol. i know setting it vertically fucked up my disc drive somehow and i have to knock on the side to eject a disc now which is....reeeeal cool.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
please tell me this is just fud, i already worry too much about my dualesense getting stick drift i don't need to worry about this too

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Just playing devil's advocate and have no idea, but is the implication that having it vertical could be increasing the odds of the seal breaking?

Could be something that takes enough hours of use to happen and we're only now starting to see the first cases. Has anyone mentioned a trend in the age of the affected consoles?
The hand waving is just as bad as people blindly believing it's an issue.

RROD didn't spring up over night either

We'll see as time goes on

Laziness

Apr 19, 2018
It doesn't matter, the damage has b It doesn't matter, the damage has been done. My local gaming SM are swimming in "Sony's fucked up" and "All those PS5s are nothing but bricks now" articles. PlayStation threads on forums like this are full of people who's like "oh fuck, but I bought my on the New Year's, it's arriving soon..." legit believing that, I suppose, all PS5s are on the road to hell for real.

Ofc it's not much, Sony isn't doomed, but they don't want that kind of attention and they for sure don't want people preaching others not to buy a PS5 running around with that liquid metal fud. Like, they are going to loose some potential buyers after this news. Ofc not millions, but even a dozen of folks would be enough to call it an effect, and not a good one.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
It's way too big to lie down. It's too big vertically, but it seems even more ginormously obscene lying down. 2 years later and every time I look at it, I still think it's the most fugly thing ever.

Oct 30, 2017
I've had mine vertical since I bought it .... but whats this about a seperate stand you need to use to aid ventilation!?

This is my first time hearing about such a thing. Does it come in the PS5 box??

GetDigitized

Oct 25, 2017
Are thermals better or worse when horizontal. I thought Sony recommended only vertical so that's why I kept it in its stand, which is too wobbly, so I'd prefer horizontal.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Sorry, but this is the first time I hear of this group. How can we know they are reliable? What other analysis have they done so I can compare them to other teams? Do they show what kind of methodology they use to test this? Because if it is just based on consoles brought to a repair shop, there might be other factors that contribute to this, like those consoles could have some manufacturing defects and such, so until I don't hear they did some internal testing with a decent sample size, I would not be taking this seriously. Then again, I don't have a PS5, but my point still stands.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I'll place it horizontally when they design it in a way that doesn't make it look like it's being propped up by a drunk grandpa with arthritis when placed horizontally with that shitty stand

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't something like that happen with the PS2 that it scratched discs when placed vertically?

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I've had mine vertical since I bought it .... but whats this about a seperate stand you need to use to aid ventilation!?

Yes, it does come on the box.

ssarkar_201029_ply1040_0005.jpg

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
ERA went through the same thing with the Switch and screen protectors, throwing itself on the fainting couch.

YOU 100% WILL SCRATCH YOUR SCREEN THROUGH NORMAL USE UNLESS YOU USE A SCREEN PROTECTOR!!

...No. It's fine, really.
It does though? Not the screen's real estate, but the bezels which are part of the screen.
At least for the regular Switch in my case. It seems the OLED's dock doesn't do this as I haven't noticed anything on my OLED Switch.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

What did you think the big plate that comes with the console and is mentioned in the first page of the manual was for

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I always keep my consoles horizontal. I remember the Xbox 360 chewing up people's disc if they nudged it by accident when it was vertical and it's just kinda put me off having my consoles that way since.

Oct 29, 2017
Man I've been using it since day 1 vertically.

Fucking turning that shit around upside-down for another 2 years so that shit goes back to where it belongs.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
Mine has been vertical since day 1, but I've wanted to put it horizontal for a while now and took this as a reason to finally do it.

Last edited:

usernousado

May 6, 2019
I have a PS5 and a Series x, it has been vertical since day1 because it is so big will but put it horizontal after this. It doesn't get too much use like the SX, i have to find a new place for my xbox :(

Last edited:

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Figured this article would be appropriate for this thread.

In theory, liquid metal used to cool CPUs is not a problem. The cooling mechanism and the CPU are so tightly pressed that nothing should spill or "fall" (when the right amount has been applied) because of gravity alone, and this is why there is generally no concern with using a motherboard vertically, even when you're using liquid metal.

However it appears that several cases have shown that the PS5's "seal" between the APU and its cooler can sometimes move or be damaged. When that is the case, if your PS5 sits horizontally, the liquid metal will stay flat and keep most of its thermal properties to help cool the PS5. But if your PS5 is vertical and "something" bad happens to the seal, then there is a risk the liquid metal will progressively fall down, becoming uneven, impacting its cooling ability and possibly reach components it shouldn't.

So there is a CHANCE that lets say your PS5 is knocked over that you MAY accidentally move or damage the cooler to the point where some liquid metal can seep out? That's... a BIG oversight...

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to get back to work on Saturday for my co-workers to ask me about this.

"Did you hear...."

So there is a CHANCE that lets say your PS5 is knocked over that you MAY accidentally move or damage the cooler to the point where some liquid metal can seep out? That's... a BIG oversight...

From earlier in the thread... if this doesn't cause leakage, knocking it over shouldn't either I would think..

They've redesigned the motherboard or parts of it what 2 times now?
Have they once changed the way the liquid metal is held in place?

Gonna need more than 2 repair shops reporting on this to convince me.

You got TronicsFix opening up a PS5 that somebody dropped down a stairwell that had no liquid metal leakage whatsoever.

View: https://youtu.be/rz2bHeo57jk?t=471

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Anecdotally, I've seen on repair videos that some PS5 have an electrical tape style sealant around the liquid metal while others have foam.
On some repair videos, the liquid metal seeps under these materials, and causes shorts that either kill the console, or stop it operating normally.

Seems like there just might be variance in the application of these sealants so some just fail and let the liquid metal seep out.

I don't see how that can be construed as "VERTICAL WILL KILL YOUR PS5" but here we are.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad the title was changed, a couple random repair shops do not equate to "experts".

Chances are this just comes down to manufacturing defects and the vast majority of PS5's will be fine, but obviously it would be nice to get an official statement.

Transistor

Or else Pizza is gonna send out for you
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Given the exaggerated nature of the thread title and the fact that it's a handful of accounts, this thread is locked. If this becomes a widespread issue, feel free to make a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.