• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Prime. Looking back, every part of that game was awe-inspiring to me. haven't quite had those feelings with another game sense.

Pinco

Feb 16, 2018
I would like to say F.E.A.R. or Duke Nukem 3D or Crysis. But I know the only choice is SOMA. The story and the setting had such an impact on me.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I think probably What Remains of Edith Finch. There's obviously other great and epic games, but that's the one I'd like to experience over for the first time.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hard to answer really. Perhaps Uncharted 2 though, that game was a real thrill ride but it really relies on the spectacle and surprise of each sequence.

Or perhaps an open world game would make more sense. To regain that wonderment that comes from exploring the unknown in a game like Skyrim.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Easy, world of Warcraft because it changed what I thought a game could be. I've never felt as awed about a game since

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
1. P4G, I genuinely care about the characters. There's just something about the game that hooks me from start till end.
2. The Witcher 3. The beautiful sunset, the engaging story, choices that matters but isn't black and white. And I love the combat, I really do.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 4. I've played it so much at this point that I've given up my last two or three playthroughs because I've been there, done that so many times. I'd like to go and experience it for the first time and fall in love with it all over again.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
The Last of Us.
It is my favorite game, man just thinking of playing that intro again without knowing what's happening gives me the shivers.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I thought I'd say one of the Mario games, but to my surprise it is:
Resident Evil 4 - Playing that on the GameCube on an old CRT was giving a glance at what gaming could be like. The atmosphere, the pacing, felt perfect!

well that's the only game so far I played through more than once besides my Mario games.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played so many games and I've got to give it to Sekiro. That first playthrough was something special

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'd say FFVII or Metal Gear Solid 3, but no way those would have the same impact on me today that they did at the time. Maybe TLOU or Uncharted 2 since they're more recent. Those 4 are without a doubt my favorite games of all time so.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Complete.

If i had a few more to add:
The Return of Obra Dinn
Final Fantasy VII
WoW: Wrath of the Lich King
and possibly Shadowrun: Dragonfall &
Disco Elysium.

Too many, i need to forget.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
For me, it'd be either Bioshock, Dark Souls or Mass Effect 1.

One of the true joys of gaming for me has been exploring some new mysterious place.

Bioshock had the incredible, disturbing, and dystopian city of Rapture.

Dark Souls' Lordran wasn't just a joy to explore, but intorduced me to the "show don't tell" style of delivery and merciless game design. I so adore it.

Mass Effect 1 was an unbridled joy for me. This intricate universe Bioware had created was so full of possibilities and mysteries. Exploring the galaxy as Shepard was truly great.

I'd love to re-experience the feelings these games gave me when I first got to play them.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Dark Souls, without hesitation. Assuming this magic also scrubs the other From games from my mind at the same time, so I'd be experiencing the whole formula fresh.

Luchsius

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Outer Wilds, because unlike most other games, the game consists entirely of discovering the game's secrets and mechanics. This means that playing through it again would take me 20 minutes...

Jan 20, 2019
This is a tough one to answer...

BOTW comes to mind first. Just such a unique experience, especially at it's launch, but unfortunately the magic is predicated on the joy of discovery and breaking over the horizon for the first time.

If it were possible to capture the nostalgic imagination from years past, yeah it gets more open ended. Metal Gear Solid on PSX, first-gen Pokemon games, Baldur's Gate...it's funny how big and expressive those worlds felt, even though now I can basically see the entire tileset in my head/on the 'net somewhere. Still, there were some big feels and great things done for gaming with titles likes these, so, ya know.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Final Fantasy 7-I love this game. It was my Christmas present in 1997 along with my first PlayStation.

Metal Gear Solid-The game that got me into the series and still my favorite out of all of them.

Super Mario 64-This game was the epitome of magic when it came out. I devoured everything I could about it from Gamepro, EGM, and Gamefan. I got it Christmas 1996 along with my "2nd" N64. The first one was stolen out of my dads van before could get it inside and wrap it so he went back and bought another one.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
Some of my fondest gaming memories involve playing Halo multiplayer on system link and taking turns playing through side missions in Oblivion. Streaming has kind of taken its place, but I really miss the days when I could get together with friends and play through a single player or split screen co-op title.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
BOTW and it's not even close. If you were to ask me this question 5, 10, 15 years ago it would obviously be different, but the bar for experiences has been raised. I envy every person who gets to play BOTW for the first time in present day.

Z6E1Z9O

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
The witcher 3 or life is strange i played them when i was relatively young and i want to experience all of it again with the perception of an adult

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Recent games really come to mind right now.
I'm thinking games like:
Obra Dinn
Outer Wilds
Disco Elysium
Yakuza 6 (This game hit me real hard)

Other classic choices are:
Shadow of the Colossus
Killer7
REmake
Dead Rising
Night in the Woods

If I had to choose just one, it would probably be Night in the Woods.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Undertale. The story, the music, the characters...that game made me feels things that no other game has even come close to matching.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
My number one, easily: Xenoblade Chronicles. And I can't wait to triple-dip for the remaster.

After that, I think the entire Ace Attorney series, Pokemon BW, Return of the Obra Dinn and other adventure/puzzle games.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
Fallout New Vegas, I replayed this game so much but I never got to finish it, I wish I could just erase and start all over without knowing anything about it to get the full experience

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
Dark Souls, the first blind playthrough of this game is unforgettable and a triumph in gaming.