Which one?

• SM RPG 2

Votes: 356 47.5%
  • A true Paper Mario 3

Votes: 393 52.5%

• Total voters

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for Super Mario RPG 2 my entire life. Paper Mario never really did a lot for me. I enjoyed TTYD well enough but SMRPG is one of my favorite games of all time.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Paper Mario. The Thousand-Year Door is the greatest game ever made. A new one as good or better than the greatest game ever made seems like a bit of a no brainer to me.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Paper Mario 3.

TTYD is my favorite Mario RPG (next to the first Mario and Luigi). It's just so good.

Mario RPG has some great style but just never clicked with me the same way TTYD did.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
I would take the return of Alphadream over either hypothetical option (and this is coming from somebody who generally prefers PM.) It's pretty telling how obsessed some people are with the minor characters and aesthetic trappings of SMRPG, yet have nothing but contempt for the staff members who actually made the SNES game, whether they're directing M&L games or Color Splash.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would take the return of Alphadream over either hypothetical option (and this is coming from somebody who generally prefers PM.) It's pretty telling how obsessed some people are with the minor characters and aesthetic trappings of SMRPG, yet have nothing but contempt for the staff members who actually made the SNES game, whether they're directing M&L games or Color Splash.
I think if AlphaDream were still alive we would probably have another Mario & Luigi being developed for the Switch right now and I would welcome it.

Jun 2, 2019
Given how many Paper Mario have been in that style, related to how many entries the series have, can we really say that 64 and TTYD are the TRUE Paper Mario games?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I never got Paper Mario. But it you made a SMRPG type game and gave it a paper aesthetic I'd be into it just fine.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Would be cool to see an entirely new style of Mario RPG. Paper style is definitely cool but I want to see what other aesthetics they could do. There is a lot of room for creativity.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Mario RPG 2 easily. I have no affinity for Paper Mario - I don't care for the art style at all so it always felt like a pale imitation of a much better and more fun game.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
hey i love paper mario as much as the next person, but when there was the split between mario/luigi and paper mario something was lost! we're dealing in hypotheticals in this thread, and the chocolate-peanutbutter mix of a collab between squaresoft and nintendo is way less likely of ever happening again, so its my pick. we will almost certainly see another paper mario game in the future, and if we're lucky it'll be some kind of return to form.
The series only really changed with Sticker Star on the 3DS and that's also the time when the Mario & Luigi games started falling apart. Both series suffered when Nintendo tried to juggle them both on the same system and throughout the 3DS/WiiU era.
Given how many Paper Mario have been in that style, related to how many entries the series have, can we really say that 64 and TTYD are the TRUE Paper Mario games?
64 & TTYD in the old style

Super Paper Mario as the odd one out

SS & CS in the new style

Pretty even so far

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer SMRPG2

But really all I care about is Geno coming back. I'd allow PM3 if it had Paper Geno.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's very close to what paper mario is.
I know, to some extent.

But it comes down to a wide variety of party characters, the number you can bring to battle at a time, how the battle plays out, how the world is laid out, how encounters happen, lots of other things. I've admittedly only played very little of the Paper Mario games, so maybe they have progressed more in this direction after I quit playing them, I don't know. But what I would like to see is really close to FF6 with Mario characters. Get that right and I don't care about the aesthetic.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Super Mario RPG 2 already exists. It's called Paper Mario.

And hot take: Super Mario RPG isn't even that good. The combat is braindead and the world is painfully linear. I have no clue what the SMRPG2 as described here would even look like.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
"but modern Square bad" isn't a good argument in this fantasy scenario, in which Nintendo also doesn't fuck up Paper Mario for some reason.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
SMRPG2

Because if Capcom can kill Breath of Fire and Konami can kill Suikoden, Squeenix deserves a chance to screw up Super Mario RPG 2

OP
OP
ClickyCal'

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
"but modern Square bad" isn't a good argument in this fantasy scenario, in which Nintendo also doesn't fuck up Paper Mario for some reason.
Well it's a "fantasy scenario" based on that the companies are in reality. Nintendo has been doing good for a lot of franchises on the switch and doing a lot of fan request type things, and intelligent is still intelligent. Square is a universe away from the mid 90's.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
That's very close to what paper mario is.
The Mario RPG series has always reminded me of the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Sonic Adventure games where people try really hard to pretend that all 3 franchises haven't gotten numerous sequels over the years. Especially Mario & Sonic whose Japanese titles make the connection pretty obvious:

Super Mario RPG 2 / Mario Story
Paper Mario RPG
Mario & Luigi RPG
etc.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Paper Mario by far. Super Mario RPG is great but it isn't that good. Paper Mario has much stronger writing, better music, and more interesting mechanics.

OP
OP
ClickyCal'

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The Mario RPG series has always reminded me of the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Sonic Adventure games where people try really hard to pretend that all 3 franchises haven't gotten numerous sequels over the years. Especially Mario & Sonic whose Japanese titles make the connection pretty obvious:

Super Mario RPG 2 / Mario Story
Paper Mario RPG
Mario & Luigi RPG
etc.
Sort of, although the 3d sonic games are probably generally closer than comparing the 3 different mario rpg lines. Smrpg is final fantasy with mario. Paper mario is basically a super simplified basic rpg template taking the mario universe. Mrio and luigi took the basic paper mario mechanics, but made it more action based in combat.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I've been waiting for Super Mario RPG 2 my entire life. Paper Mario never really did a lot for me. I enjoyed TTYD well enough but SMRPG is one of my favorite games of all time.
Same here. SMRPG was one of my first and favorite jrpgs ever. Paper Mario 1 and TTYD were good, but were no way epic as SMRPG. I was very underwhelmed by PM1 when it released since I had a crazy ammount of hype due to my love for SMRPG. PMs are still good games (I mean, the first two), but there is no competition for me when it comes to legends of the seven star.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
We already got Super Mario RPG 2 made by the same people that made the first game but people are so hung up over a title and now that studio went bankrupt 😢

FoxyGanondorf

alt account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019
I love the Paper Mario games but Super Mario RPG is my favorite game of all time. I have to go with the OG. They would of course need to bring back Geno.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Paper Mario 3 for me. Super Mario RPG is a bonafide classic, no doubt, but the last three Paper Mario games going off the rails and disappointing to various degrees after the brilliant Thousand-Year Door has just made me crave a true follow-up that much more. There's only one Super Mario RPG, and it will always be fantastic but it feels like a very complete, fully explored package as it is, so I don't feel the need for a sequel to that as much. But I mean, I'd happily take a SMRPG 2 as well, especially if Mallow returned.

The best timeline would give us a proper Paper Mario 3 composed by Yoko Shimomura.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
i feel like they had tried so many times to get Paper Mario right again e failed all the tries after TTYD. Let them have a try on SMRPG.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
I feel like getting a Super Mario Rpg 2 right would be a a far bigger challenge than getting a Paper Mario 3 right. SMRPG is a great game but it also was largely a product of its time.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I want a real Super Mario RPG 2, if only to see how a Tetsuya Nomura interpretation of Mario would look like...

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
A new Super Mario RPG, but it would need:

-Yoko Shimomura music
-Be turn based
-Diverse party with original characters and locations, mixed with some unexpected team-up
-Dark color palette like the SNES game, felt so cool and different from regular happy shiny Mario at the time
-Main villain that is NOT Bowser
-Big world, long story (60-80 hours)
-Geno

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Super Mario RPG site in my top 5 games of all time. I would love nothing more than a sequel.

I'm surprised that the poll is so close. Only because we've had multiple Paper Mario games and one SMRPG game and that was in the 90's. I think it's time for another one.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Super Mario RPG 2
That game is still fun for me to play today. Also it would bring back Geno (hopefully). It would be interesting how the game would reinvest itself for modern times.

I love ttyd and all, but it pales in comparison for me at least with SMRPG

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
We already have a proper sequel to Mario RPG that is called Mario & Luigi SSS, made by the same developers and better than the original in every single aspect, yo name it, story, battle system, humor, etc (not that hard, since the original is quite a mediocre and irrelevant game; SNES has 20 or more better JRPGs).

Personally, I would like them to fully turn the Paper Mario into an adventure game, I think they got the right idea in Sticker Star; but that lacked polish. Would love to solve outside the box puzzles to win battles using paper mechanics. I don't mind Toads being turned into rabbids/minions, it's fitting in the Mario universe.

If I had to choose, just continue the M&L series, but give it more time in the oven, we don't need this to be a yearly or biyearly series. Once every 4-5 years is great.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I don't believe there's a meaningful distinction between "SMRPG game" and the multiple Mario RPGs we've gotten since the 90s

I like to think there are. I think there needs to be a collaboration between SE and Nintendo again, and it needs to have that over the top look as opposed to the paper art style. I think the art style and the soundtrack are some of the best in gaming. Oh and we also need Geno back. that's an absolute must.

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Not that hard, since the original is quite a mediocre and irrelevant game; SNES has 20 or more better JRPGs.

The game being good, bad or mediocre is subjective, but it was hardly irrelevant.

I'm sure it sold a lot and it was a gateway for a lot of western kids (me included) to experience a JRPG for the first time. Also, some of its original characters are awesome and should be used more in the Mario universe.

And as I said in my previous post, a Mario game with a dark color palette that retains the Mario charm like SMRPG did, is something I would like to see more often.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I like to think there are. I think there needs to be a collaboration between SE and Nintendo again, and it needs to have that over the top look as opposed to the paper art style. I think the art style and the soundtrack are some of the best in gaming. Oh and we also need Geno back. that's an absolute must.
I mean, most of the former Square employees who gave SMRPG its identity ended up working on the Mario & Luigi games anyway

and Geno's there too!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sort of, although the 3d sonic games are probably generally closer than comparing the 3 different mario rpg lines. Smrpg is final fantasy with mario. Paper mario is basically a super simplified basic rpg template taking the mario universe. Mrio and luigi took the basic paper mario mechanics, but made it more action based in combat.
Yes, to me this distinction is what is critical.

A new Super Mario RPG, but it would need:

-Yoko Shimomura music
-Be turn based
-Diverse party with original characters and locations, mixed with some unexpected team-up
-Dark color palette like the SNES game, felt so cool and different from regular happy shiny Mario at the time
-Main villain that is NOT Bowser
-Big world, long story (60-80 hours)
-Geno
I would like all these, make it look like Paper whatever I don't care but if most of the above are there then that is what I want.