• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
After seeing how people are reacting to Death Stranding because it's reviewing below expectations is embarrassing in so many levels.

First of all, it blows my mind how people get invested on reviews, GOTYs awards like their lives depend on them and it go both ways. At the end of the day they are just glorified opinions from gamers just like us.

Secondly, if a game does not get 90% on Metacritic is basically straight up garbage to some people yet they haven't played the game.

Going back to Death Stranding; in the review thread there are people canceling preorders and not buying the game anymore because it has a 84 aggregate like really? I understand that you don't want to waste you money on a game you won't like but getting that conclusion from reviews in the internet is ridiculous and I'm saying this as a person who has little interest on the game.

I'm really anticipating Cyber Punk because I like what I see and I loved The Witcher 3 and unless all the reviewers give the game a mediocre score because it's technical performance is a disaster and the game is an incomplete buggy mess I won't care how many 10s or GOTYs it gets.

Zelda BOTW is one my favorite games ever and ok it's cool that it gets the recognition I think it deserves but I won't lose my sleep if it hadn't.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it's the discourse around review numbers and not the rampant bigotry..? Sounds like both sides need to get their priorities straight here.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Review threads are trash for a variety of and that's definitely one of them.

Plenty still to like elsewhere though.

Nov 23, 2017
The reviews being so spread out like this only made me more interested in that game (that and dark1xs opinion about it which I value more than majority of other reviewers)

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You sure it's not because of what the reviews are actually saying and not the scores? I don't think I've seen anyone peace out because the number itself isn't high enough.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Reviews stopped being relevant to me years ago. I continually find myself enjoying games that review poorly and vice versa.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
you know most people that are canceling their pre orders isnt because it's got a 84 meta score but because they read/listened to reviews and what they actually say and watched footage of said reviewers playing the game

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I'm glad I don't get affected by people's opinions on such subjects. Both sides seems to be acting like kids though.

Shadout

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I have not paid attention to peoples reactions to Death Stranding.
But have you considered the possibility that people react negatively to the impressions in those reviews making the game sound worse than they hoped, and not some arbitrary scores?
Reviews are useful to get impressions about games. It doesn't exactly seem like shocking news.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
you cant exactly claim the high ground when you're out here kicking and screaming and telling everybody you're leaving because of a few lmao. Just ignore them, play the game, and discuss it with those that will play it on the OT.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly its any community be it gaming, movies, books.etc that have the same problem. Such problem will never ever go away.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Review threads are the best though! People can spin anything as positive or negative to suit their narrative. A bad review? That author is clearly unqualified, they don't understand the genius. This game is already my game of the generation -- despite me never having played it. A good review? They're clearly just biased or scared to give a bad number, there's going to be a backlash once people realize how bad the game is. Fanboys have their blinders on.

A bunch of people are going in with their minds made up on how good a game is/isn't. Add a bunch of platform warring and fanboyism and watching the drama that occurs is wonderful.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
After seeing how people are reacting to Death Stranding because it's reviewing below expectations is embarrassing in so many levels.

First of all, it blows my mind how people get invested on reviews, GOTYs awards like their lives depend on them and it go both ways. At the end of the day they are just glorified opinions from gamers just like us.

Secondly, if a game does not get 90% on Metacritic is basically straight up garbage to some people yet they haven't played the game.

Going back to Death Stranding; in the review thread there are people canceling preorders and not buying the game anymore because it has a 84 aggregate like really? I understand that you don't want to waste you money on a game you won't like but getting that conclusion from reviews in the internet is ridiculous and I'm saying this as a person who has little interest on the game.

I'm really anticipating Cyber Punk because I like what I see and I loved The Witcher 3 and unless all the reviewers give the game a mediocre score because it's technical performance is a disaster and the game is an incomplete buggy mess I won't care how many 10s or GOTYs it gets.

Zelda BOTW is one my favorite games ever and ok it's cool that it gets the recognition I think it deserves but I won't lose my sleep if it hadn't.
Just let it wash over you dude.People say stupid shit on the internet....you know what you like....other peoples views are irrelevant at the end of the day.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Forget scores, forget users who care about scores so heavily. They are a lost cause.

All it took was a few people I trust using enough words to describe the basic gameplay and where it goes story wise to make me say no thanks. Kojima without restraint doesn't seem to be for me in this case.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to be "done with the game community," maybe just distance yourself from the review threads. Those things, for whatever reason, turn into the weirdest battlegrounds.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I can think of a handful of better reasons to not associate with "gamers" but you do you.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
It's possible to pay attention to the reviews singularly and ignore the rest. None of that shit outside of playing it yourself should have anything to with the enjoyment of the game. That said, I echo the sentiment that there infinitely better reasons to be done with the gaming community.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Review threads are not usually for people who're on the fence on purchasing a game. It's for shits and giggles, arguments, appeal to majority, debates about objectivity vs subjectivity, and for making reviews themselves into a game with the hyper focus on review scores. When you enter a review thread, know what you're getting into.

Same for NPD and sales threads. BOMBA!

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I think the "ignore thread" and "mute user" buttons are the better solution to your problem. Part of the value of a forum like this is that I can rely less on professional previews/reviews because I have easy access to word-of-mouth. It's a great source for general news and impressions, and over time you identify a handful of users whose tastes align with yours. Not much need to search our reviews at that point. Honestly, since the time I joined the old place, I think the only time I've read a professional review is when the review itself somehow became a story.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could think of a dozen reasons that are pushing me right now to be done with the gaming community forever including, but not limited to, sexism, racism, bigotry, corporate apologism, and placing the need to be entertained over basic human rights. Not sure review threads would make my list.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Don't let the boomerang controller hit you on your way out.

But I get you. Take a break. Ask a mod to ban you (I did) and enjoy the view.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one thing I don't get about review threads is why do people want a game to be bad and try to convince others its bad? And they trying to do it with someone else's opinion. What value or purpose does it bring? I don't get it. If I think a upcoming game looks like trash, I just ignore it.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Focus on the shit you like and cut out the shit you don't like. Bam, you're good. If review threads annoy you, that's fine, don't go in them beyond the first post.

There are plenty of reasons to be done with gaming/the gaming community. I think not liking review threads is one of the worst reasons though.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
I went to high school with two people who wrote for Joystiq. Those should be the last people you want to hear an opinion from, trust me. The gaming community putting these "writers" on pedestals is something I've always found way out of place.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are largely reacting to the details revealed in the reviews themselves, rather than an aggregate of scores. The "Nope" moments for me were:

--Learning that the game takes 60+ hours
--Learning that the first 20 hours are bad/not fun
--Learning that cutscenes are as long as 1 hour
--Learning that the combat and boss battles are just okay/perfunctory
--Learning about an extensive balancing/encumbrance system

I will probably still rent the game just because I'm interested in seeing how all the social elements add up, but for the most part I think I am at least going to wait for the PC version before I make a purchase.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
"Why Do I Smell LIke Trash?" Asks Man Who Just Rolled in Trash

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Getting worked up about what others think is also part of "the game community"

Just enjoy the games you play and don't dive into threads you know you won't like.