DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather get a collection of these two and Dead Souls instead

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Remakes? Bleh. I'd much rather get new mainline games instead of wasting years of time remaking spinoffs... that I wouldn't buy remade or not.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Ishin is entirely fine as-is.

Kenzan I can understand, but I rather they just make another original game instead. It is the biggest disappointment in the franchise for me.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Gee, what a surprise... Haruka's plot while grim isn't exactly inaccurate to the time period. I'm glad that the series doesn't shy away from that side of things. Kenzan can't be remade without that content either way and it shouldn't be ignored just because history isn't always pretty...

Also, Kenzan's combat isn't clunky by modern standards... if you actually bother to learn all the moves and how combat actually works its one of the best, if not the best game in the series. I replayed it last year and the only two points where the combat stumbled is the third fight against Majima (he has few openings to damage him, but its still perfectly possible) and one arena/bounty fight against a large Sumo type character who can somehow block blade attacks (unlike any other hand to hand fighter) but even then its just a matter of using certain throws skillfully to knock him on his ass and follow up with some heat moves.

Otherwise the gameplay is excellent, combat works exceptionally well with how counters work across each style and how heat moves are set up that you can pretty much counter any attack... if you know what your doing. So yeah, if you find Kenzan clunky, I'd say your playing it wrong as the game bends over backwards to give you every tool you need in a fight.
But of course, if its remade any semblance of difficulty will be erased, same with any new Yakuza game, especially with how Kiwami 2 forgot to add difficulty into the game and made Kiryu vastly over powered even if you never upgraded his strength.

great post - agree completely. would love to get to play remasters/remakes of these. kenzan very likely is my favorite ryu ga gotoku game - colorful, gorgeous environments, & just a ton of personality...

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like remaking Kenzan would be best. Game is quite old and outdated, and the story needs to be rewritten due to the whole Haruka being a child prostitute thing.

Ishin tho? No, just boost that to 4k 60fps and you're good.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Remaster Ishin and forget about Kenzan.

I mean it's good that more people would be able to play these games, but I want to see what's next for the series instead of looking back.
They should just port them. I hate the Kiwamis but at least I can go back to the PS2 and deal with the worse localization, for these games there's no option for purists who'd want to see them as they originally released but in English.
"Let's port and localize the game with child prostitution" probably sounds like a bad idea to Sega/RGG studio.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
you guys just released ports of yakuza 3, and it's super old, Ishin will be fine as is, just localize it, pleaaaaase! A remake of kenzan could work though

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Kenzan isn't the most playable entry nowadays but Ishin really doesn't need anything more than a remaster...
I'd actually fear they'd mess it up by switching to dragon engine and breaking combat and all kind of things...

simply put Ishin is one of the best entries and if people can play 0 in 2021 then they can play Ishin as it's basically the very same thing from a tech/graphics standpoint

Last edited:

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be first in line to buy them, but I will eat my own ass if this actually comes true, straight up

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Don't need more remakes. Remasters would be fine.
Aren't these games not looked as fondly as the mainline games?
They're pretty well liked by those that have played them. A bunch of big fans of Kenzan on here including a couple posters who list it as their favorite Yakuza game.
Personally, I think Ishin is one of the best of the series.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Fuck yes, please.

If they did Kiwami 2 tier remakes for both, or even one of them, that would be amazing. I've always wanted to play these. Missing that PS4 launch window with Ishin was such a dumb move on thier part during a western launch period quality game drought. That right there could have catapulted the series' success in NA and Europe a lot earlier.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Why would they fully remake Isshin?

The PS4 version already 60fps.

As might as well add some new contents, English dub + lip-sync, maybe next-gen ports and that's it.

Kenzan might have to do with remake though...

And please, PLEASE, if they want to remix/rearrange Kenzan OST, please include options to choose original OST...

One of the best battle theme in Yakuza universe (albeit it's a spin-off...) Is still currently a Japan exclusive.

Imagine a duel between Samurais while listening to this...

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I'd be down for either remasters, ports or remakes. Preferably though I'd like to see another team put on them so that the main team can focus on whatever comes next for Ichi and crew.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Its a bit too late in the day for me to have the energy to go into detail. But...

[...]

Yes, there are changes, and yes some of them are not for the better... but overall Kiwami 2 is a far more playable, approachpable, modern game thatn Yakuza 2 'HD' would be (that is on the WIiU, so it's not like we don't know how it'd be)

Remakes on this scale arent just for the original fans but for new ones... and K2 did a fantastic job at appeasing them and expanding a new audience for the series.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, i very much rather have Ishin than Kenzan. I need this fight localized.

Prevchen

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Since our interview with Daisuke Sato (Head of Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio) gained a lot of attention last night and people starting to translate it from german to english and other languages, we decided to release the full english script, so fans don't need to use faulty machine translation to read it.

A mod may add it to the OP.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Yes, there are changes, and yes some of them are not for the better... but overall Kiwami 2 is a far more playable, approachpable, modern game thatn Yakuza 2 'HD' would be (that is on the WIiU, so it's not like we don't know how it'd be)

Remakes on this scale arent just for the original fans but for new ones... and K2 did a fantastic job at appeasing them and expanding a new audience for the series.

It's just lucky to come across any Yakuza 2 purists who aren't ready to chuck knuckles because they removed that terrible Crazy Ken Band song and added a tiny stabbing sound to that one scene.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
So they were fine with simply remastering a 9 year old game at the time, Yakuza 3 to PS4 back in 2018 and releasing said remaster on Xbox/PC this year, but Ishin, which is only 7 years old now needs a full remake? Strange logic if you ask me.
He used this as an "excuse" for why it wouldn't happened :
"That makes the decision a little more complicated."

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser Employee Are Sick
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Tremendously exciting.

As someone who actually likes Yakuza 3 and its combat, I'd be perfectly fine with remasters ala the Collection (Kenzan was sort of a test run for Yakuza 3, so I believe it's similar; Ishin I've heard is just wonderful the way it is).

Either way, hell yeah!

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
In Kenzan, Haruka is a child prostitute selling herself to make money to hire someone to murder the guy who killed her family, who eventually winds up living in Kiryu's house.

Like yeah, she's important to the storyline, but they probably could've handled that without the child prostitute angle. There had to be other ways she could've raised the money that aren't...that.

It's not unlikely that this was the reality of the era, as unfortunate as it is.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I call bullshit, we've been waiting for far too long. I don't want to be hyped just to have my hopes crushed

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Figured they'd probably do this eventually with how well Yakuza games are doing and the samurai craze. With Kenzan they'd probably have to do what they did with 3-5 (though it'd still feel dated I suppose). Ishin should be an easy enough remaster, though I can see them wanting to get both onto the Dragon Engine now since they can scale it with new gen consoles.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I still have my cooy of Kenzan. I was able to finish it back in the day and I love it.

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
Remaking Ishin seems like the biggest waste of time, it plays perfectly fine. I shudder to think how the snappy and precise combat would be ruined in the clunky dragon engine. Still haven't played Kenzan, but would love to see a port/remaster.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

That's... one way of just writing off everything I wrote. Guess ignorance is truly bliss in this case. Because butchering parts of Yakuza 2 doesn't sit well with me, not to mention further reducing the difficulty to the point of "why bother playing the game on the hardest difficulty, its still pathetically easy".
But hey, enjoy your substandard remake. Just don't complain when the series starts doing similar in the future because remember - its just further expanding to a new audience. By that I mean, I assume no one here who hand waves away all of Kiwami 2's issues have an issue with the changes Judge Eyes is making to its visuals and content for the PS5...

And I don't really give a rats ass about being more "playable". The PS3 isn't the only way to play Yakuza 2, you can get the original PS2 version or just emulate it on most PCs these days, its not hard. And seeing how popular Kiwami 2 seems to be on PC, they can manage it. Likewise, Kenzan and Ishin and even the first PSP game all have guides and even a (unfinished) translation patch there should people want to explore it. A little effort on the fans part to experience the games would do them wonders, the games are fully playable right now if only they, you know, try. But lets just remake games over and over instead of making new stuff just to appease them.
Not sure what your Wii U point is either? Like, at all. Game did bad partly because it was on a platform that did really bad. And the remasters or even remakes in Japan (any of them) never tend to sell well, so that's hardly a useful point to make if your trying to point out how they'd fail elsewhere. Though I do believe those that praise certain aspects (cough combat) of Kiwami 2 would probably complain about a port of 2HD.

great post - agree completely. would love to get to play remasters/remakes of these. kenzan very likely is my favorite ryu ga gotoku game - colorful, gorgeous environments, & just a ton of personality...
Yup. Its well worth tracking down the remasters if you can, especially on PS3 (just because PS3 is region free so its easier to play them on foreign machines) because they are excellent versions of 1&2 that add some small QoL changes to each game while retaining all the content (licensed music and all) to the games.
I'm quite looking forward to diving back into 2 this year as I'm planning to play 2 and Kiwami 2 simultaneously to better appreciate the changes between the remaster and the remake (and it gives me a silly excuse to play two Yakuza games at once!)

And yeah, Kenzan has a gorgeous colour scheme/environments - its everything I love about classic Sega - you have the forest paths which has bursts of green/red/gold on the trees, with those trademark blue skies, the amazing looking Rendai Fields at sunset (by far my favourite area in the entire game) as well as Gion at night - with the parade/party and fireworks going off. It holds up pretty well for the first PS3 Yakuza game (holds up way better than Dead Souls does that's for sure! I'm playing it right now and it definitely doesn't look as nice as Kenzan did despite it being released several years later than Kenzan).

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Didn't even know these game before this news. I m going to finish 0 today, and continue with kiwami. I loved like a dragon , After looking at some vidéo on YouTube for thèse two. I really Hope we are going to see it.

Oct 27, 2017
Since our interview with Daisuke Sato (Head of Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio) gained a lot of attention last night and people starting to translate it from german to english and other languages, we decided to release the full english script, so fans don't need to use faulty machine translation to read it.

A mod may add it to the OP.

Thanks for this.

It sounds like the PSP games might not happen and that is a big shame...