• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): trolling and platform warring
I approve of studios basically "beta testing" inferior versions on the PS4 and signing exclusivity deals with Microsoft to bring definitive editions to the Series X. It's a smart business move for publishers and the competition is ultimately better for consumers.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
I approve of studios basically "beta testing" inferior versions on the PS4 and signing exclusivity deals with Microsoft to bring definitive editions to the Series X. It's a smart business move for publishers and the competition is ultimately better for consumers.
lol, no.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's messaging is so shit that people are now wondering if a franchise they help built in the West will be available in their new console.

That's quite an achievement.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

Haha.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
When Sony talked about PS5 not being able to play some PS4 game, it's more about covering their legal ass when the one in a thousand game that doesn't work prevents Sony from calling it "fully-compatible", because lawsuits. The top 100 PS4 games was an arbitrary metric to show these games have no problems playing on PS5, without having to test ALL PS4 games to fully say if they all work or not.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It could also simply be for the fact that the work on the Xbox port began way later and they're now doing both versions to capitalize on it. Yakuza: Like a Dragon was completed for PS4 a while ago, it just need localization.

And as many others have said, the game will be on PS5 for sure.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Assassin's Creed was announced for PS5. Nothing stopping Sega to do the same.

It's clear to me that Sega have some deals with MS to have a next gen port exclusive or timed for XSX.

I don't think that is clear at all because a lot will depend on how Sony will allow developers to improve PS4 games on PS5 and here we lack the full picture.
This is a PS4 game that is already out in Japan, it's totally possible that the game won't be published at all as specific PS5 game but it will continue to be a PS4 game that will run on PS5 through BC in boost mode and the same enhancements as in XSX version will be offered through a specific patch pretty much like MS has specifically patched tons of old titles in their BC program.
We'll learn more when Sony announces more details about their BC program on PS5 (right now they simply stated that through boost mode higher resolutions and frame rates can be achieved and that ad hoc patches are a possibility).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox One game with enhancements for XSX but it's the same sku, smart delivery. MS wants you to put XSX there and the badge.

PS4 game with or without enhancements for PS5 through BC. Only one SKU. As there is no PS5 specific SKU Sony do not want you using the PS5 logo.
Nope. XSX release is native and Smart Delivery is for differing SKUs too.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
My guess is because PS5 has not announced its lineup yet.
This.

Edit: or not??
I thought the same as OP, because other games announced today are showing PS5 specifically.
If there is a day and date PS5 version of Yakuza Like a Dragon, it is exceptionally dumb to announce every other version except that

OLr68W5.jpg
No idea then.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's some MS/SEGA deal. Just like PSO2 and some of the older Yakuza games going to gamepass. SEGA about to piss off their fans.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. XSX release is native and Smart Delivery is for differing SKUs too.

Yeah this is my understanding - it isn't a simple "patch". If you go retail, there is one disc for both, but the "smart delivery" means downloading everything needed specifically for the console you've chosen to use. It isn't a simple patch to an older game, like you see applied to running a BC game from an older system. These are bespoke versions of the game developed for the hardware.
Unless I'm getting this horribly wrong.

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Bannes (3 Days) - Platform Warring across multiple posts
I thought the same as OP, because other games announced today are showing PS5 specifically.
If there is a day and date PS5 version of Yakuza Like a Dragon, it is exceptionally dumb to announce every other version except that

OLr68W5.jpg
PS5/PS4 dead-center? Looks like they know which is going to be the platform of choice ....

Oct 27, 2017
So... MS and Sega strike up a deal but don't explicitly state it? Really? Why? So as not to upset Sony??? Some people are so desperate to see the supposed controversy, so desperate to dogpile that they ignore the glaringly obvious.

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Scarlet Nexus still hasn't been confirmed for anything other than Xbox One and Xbox Series X, even on Bamco's website. Yet, you know it's sure as shit coming to PC, PS4 and PS5. Yakuza 7 is releasing on PS4 in the west. Why would there be a deal in place to keep it off PS5? Especially when it's likely going to be backwards compatible anyway.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
PS5 has no games...
I'm sure as other have said, once we get the official reveal from Sony and they start talking launch line up, these types of games will update their listings

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
So... MS and Sega strike up a deal but don't explicitly state it? Really? Why? So as not to upset Sony??? Some people are so desperate to see the supposed controversy, so desperate to dogpile that they ignore the glaringly obvious.

It's amazing and bizarre that you see it like that. Logically, what OP is saying is entirely possible.

The point being made is that other games being announced today and previously, are also having press releases, multiplatform trailers and social media clarifying that these are multiplatform games.

They are having no problem also announcing PS5 with PS4, Xbox One with XSX, Steam etc across old / new gen - right now. It is premature to come to any conclusion on why PS5 is missing from this specific western release announcement, across trailers, social media and even the press release.

What OP says is entirely possible. Equally, it could be a marketing thing, could be that the game just isn't getting a PS5 version at all for some reason and they just use BC with PS4, could be PS5 doesn't launch this year so the game isn't being announced as releasing "this year" along with all other platforms - no one knows, but its a worthwhile discussion.

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing and bizarre that you see it like that. Logically, what OP is saying is entirely possible.

The point being made is that other games being announced today and previously, are also having press releases, multiplatform trailers and social media clarifying that these are multiplatform games.

They are having no problem also announcing PS5 with PS4, Xbox One with XSX, Steam etc across old / new gen - right now. It is premature to come to any conclusion on why PS5 is missing from this specific western release announcement, across trailers, social media and even the press release.

What OP says is entirely possible. Equally, it could be a marketing thing, could be that the game just isn't getting a PS5 version at all for some reason and they just use BC with PS4, could be PS5 doesn't launch this year so the game isn't being announced as releasing "this year" along with all other platforms - no one knows, but its a worthwhile discussion.

It's amazing and bizarre when there are far more likelier explanations. Which you yourself can see. What's more amazing and bizarre would be such a strange exclusivity being struck and then not announced.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
It's amazing and bizarre when there are far more likelier explanations. Which you yourself can see. What's more amazing and bizarre would be such a strange exclusivity being struck and then not announced.

The snark here is ridiculous. All I am saying is this is one of many valid thoughts on this, but a bunch more valid than you seem to accept.

On that topic, a lot of the time, these "deals" are rarely made clear at these vendor specific events. In fact, they are purposefully obfuscated, likely to push the inference that something is probably exclusive.

Note that many games today that are "console exclusive" were not specifically called out as such - eg Scorn, which the devs discuss candidly today on their Steam page:
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Scorn :: Scorn Xbox Series X Trailer

Hello everyone, In case you missed Inside Xbox today, here is a brand new Scorn Xbox Series X trailer. We decided to make this update in the form of a Q&A hoping to answer most of your burning questions. You will certainly have more questions than we managed to cover here, so feel free to post...

I find it amazing you're blowing up about this, when like I said, it is one of a lot of possibilities. IMO it is undeniably weird to have an announcement of the western release of the game, and include every platform bar 1, when no one else is having a problem announcing their PS5 version. Could be something, could be nothing.

Oct 27, 2017
No blowing up. No snark : ) We're gonna have to agree to disagree on that and the rest. (Don't much fancy going in circles.)

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018

It is possible but there are other possible explanations as well. OP is jumping to conclusions and that's why a thread Ike this shouldn't be kept open because the title is really one-sided.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If we find out that Yakuza: Like a Dragon is going to be Xbox [timed] exclusive, I'm honestly going to be pissed off. It's the same reason I was annoyed by Rise of the Tomb Raider being exclusive.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think it's going to be exclusive, Sony probably just has closer developers more tight lipped since that's the marketing approach they want for PS5 for whatever reason

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
It is possible but there are other possible explanations as well. OP is jumping to conclusions and that's why a thread Ike this shouldn't be kept open because the title is really one-sided.

I see no problem with it. It's literally asking a question. Coincidentally the same question I was discussing with friends planning to play on PS5, after seeing the Xbox trailer, since they and I thought that meant it would be cross-gen on both. For me as a PC player, its just interesting to be able to take part in the conversation of a Yakuza game from day 1. We're all looking forward to it.
This isn't one sided at all - its open ended. It raised a lot of interesting questions

I don't think it's going to be exclusive, Sony probably just has closer developers more tight lipped since that's the marketing approach they want for PS5 for whatever reason

And this is equally plausible. It's just the long wait till we hear their plans

Joo

May 25, 2018
This just.. makes no sense. You can still play the game on PS5. Like MS is giving them money to basically not release a patch on PS5? Doesn't really scream smart competitive advantage. It's very likely that it's because A) PS5 hasn't been unveiled or B) because Sony hasn't confirmed its crossgen policy.

CDPR didn't announce that PS5 would get a crossgen patch for Cyberpunk because they aren't commenting on unannounced features, and still there's no chance that PS5 won't get the same treatment from them as XSX.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Y0 get an X1X patch/support while PS4 Pro never got that?

I could see MS paying for an XSX upgrade for Y7 if that's the cast. It's stupid but they've already done it once. So Y7 on PS5 will just be the PS4 BC version while the XSX version might get better framerate/resolution.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
This just.. makes no sense. You can still play the game on PS5. Like MS is giving them money to basically not release a patch on PS5? Doesn't really scream smart competitive advantage. It's very likely that it's because A) PS5 hasn't been unveiled or B) because Sony hasn't confirmed its crossgen policy.

CDPR didn't announce that PS5 would get a crossgen patch for Cyberpunk because they aren't commenting on unannounced features, and still there's no chance that PS5 won't get the same treatment from them as XSX.
These aren't enhancement patches. Both Yakuza 7 and Cyberpunk are getting native XSX releases, not enhanced BC.

That said I'd be surprised if the same didn't happen for PS5.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Theres 0 chance this doesnt release on ps5.

Theres no talk about it because Sony havent talked much at all about their release plans.

Relax.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Lets not bring back all this 'beta testing' troll crap

Joo

May 25, 2018
These aren't enhancement patches. Both Yakuza 7 and Cyberpunk are getting native XSX releases, not enhanced BC.

That said I'd be surprised if the same didn't happen for PS5.
CDPR specifically stated that the "real" next-gen versions will be coming later, while the patch at the launch of XSX is just your usual resolution & fps. So at least with Cyberpunk, it's exactly an enhancement patch.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible there isn't going to be a PS5 version and the distinction is on how MS and Sony are messaging their cross gen stuff. Like is there going to be separate Xbox One and Xbox SeX versions of this game? does it matter? Is there is a difference? What is the difference between Crossgen and/or BC really?

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

What?

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
MS most likely paid for the Xbox One and Series X port and split with Sega on the PC port. Maybe RGG Studio isn't interested in doing a PS5 port, and neither is Sega when the PS4 version prob works fine on PS5?