• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Ishin. Still gotta do the rest of the chalice dungeons and fight Amon, but I've seen the story, done the substories and much of the content in the game.

This was a impressive game. I think it's one of the best Yakuza games I've played, maybe just under Y0 and Y2. At first I was pretty put off by the idea of importing it, but it turned out to be fairly easy to understand everything, plot, mechanics, substories, items, etc.

The four combat styles work incredibly well in this title. In a way I think I prefer them to Y0/Kiwami's use of multiple combat styles. They all felt very distinct and purposeful, yet they have larger strengths and weaknesses and needed to be switched around in unoptimal situations.

I'm pretty sure Ishin has the largest number of boss fights in the series as well as a ton of very memorable boss moments. It also goes crazy overboard with fan-service(not the sexual type). I'm usually not really down with fan-service, but damn I gotta say I was served exactly what I wanted here. The entire cast is made up of major characters from every entry in the series. It toys with your expectations based on how these characters acted or were presented in the original games, which made for a pretty interesting and fun experience.

The OST is very strong, definitely up there with the best of the franchise.

I feel like I spent too much time doing friendships, I believe Yakuza 0 cut down on those a bit which I'm probably happy about. Overall you can see a bunch of stuff that Ishin introduced, that then got refined in Y0, so it's a neat experience going back and seeing the process.

Loved that you could swap down to a shitty sword if you wanted to make sure a late game boss was still challenging, but I almost wish there was an option that would allow bosses to scale up. I want to be able to do the side content, including the chalice dungeon, without fear of ruining boss fights. Although this is a problem that persists in the other Yakuza titles as well.

I used KHHsubs and Salty Yen's guides. KHHsubs has written plot summaries of every scene in the game, as well as explanations of mechanics, menus, sub-stories and more. Salty Yen is a Japanese dude who did live English voice translations for the game. You could definitely play through with just one of these guides and have no problem understanding the game, but using the two of them was nice as well. I'd recommend everyone who's remotely interested to pick up this game, it's definitely one of the best games of this generation.
fist_bump_shawn_gus_psych.gif

...but I must ask, how in the world did you manage to play it without a Master's degree in Japanese History?! It just simply blows my mind how one could enjoy this game without one...

my simple gaijin mind was annihilated by this game...I couldn't even manage through the prologue without referencing multiple thesis' on the subject v.v

Last edited:

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

...but I must ask, how in the world did you manage to play it without a Master's degree in Japanese History?! It just simply blows my mind how one could enjoy this game without one...

my simple gaijin mind was annihilated by this game...I couldn't even manage through the prologue without referencing multiple thesis' on the subject v.v
NioH sold more than 1 million copies, that's a lot of Japanese history experts.

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NioH sold more than 1 million copies, that's a lot of Japanese history experts.
nioh also obliterated me. it just...hurt to play it...my mind hurts thinking about the subject...idk how I will manage to play Ghosts of Tsushima...it also obliterates my simple mind

I'm afraid I'm only at best elementary school level JPN history...plz send tutors sega to help me understand this plot in Ishin v.v

I also finished Clavell's Shogun yesterday and the book just left me reeling. 1200 pages and I just am utterly lost on the subject, I kind of understood the first 15 pages but after that I'm just lost. Utterly lost, and confused. Send help Sega please! I just don't get it, and can't get it. Wakarimasu? no v.v

Upon finishing Shogun I also ordered Kenzan. What is wrong with me? I'm obviously just stupid beyond belief... Sega plz send me someone to explain how history works!

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
In Yakuza 0, when does the property management stuff start? Just started chapter 5 and it feels close but wasn't sure...

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I always find the story ramifications of spending so much time on that stuff hilarious.

"I have to get to the Tojo HQ and rescue [x]! After I play this arcade game!
And run this night shift!
And acquire new properties!"

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finally started Hokuto Ga Gotoku today. I can tell this will be something very special indeed, and I've only finished the prologue and first three chapters. The boss fights have been pretty great so far (especially the first and third boss fights) and I'm loving how great the cutscenes look.
Bosses put up a fight (at the moment) as well. Which is nice, they aren't push overs so that makes me enjoy the boss fights even more (and the QTE's in each fight look fantastic so far as well).

The story has just started to get interesting as well - with one of the big bads revealing themselves. I'm intrigued to find out more. Can't wait to play more!

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Although this isn't the Media Create sales thread, i think that it would be interesting to see the sales of the Yakuza games (in Japan) over the years.

PS2

System Title FW LTD Publisher Release Date

PS2 Yakuza [All Versions] 129.863 883.179 SEGA 08/12/2005

PS2 Yakuza 2 [All Versions] 281.836 827.978 SEGA 07/12/2006

PS3

PS3 Yakuza: Kenzan! [All Versions] 177.897 387.148 SEGA 06/03/2008

PS3 Yakuza 3 [All Versions] 356.867 632.317 SEGA 26/02/2009

PS3 Yakuza 4 [All Versions] 395.123 657.458 SEGA 18/03/2010

PS3 Yakuza: Dead Souls [All Versions] 307.592 421.580 SEGA 09/06/2011

PS3 Yakuza 1 & 2 HD Edition 42.397 90.236 SEGA 01/11/2012

PS3 Yakuza 5 [All Versions] 363.717 586.889 SEGA 06/12/2012

PS3 Yakuza: Ishin! 142.811 259.761 SEGA 22/02/2014

PS3 Yakuza 0 161.179 247.091 SEGA 12/03/2015

PS3 Yakuza: Kiwami 74.018 110.896 SEGA 21/01/2016

PS4

PS4 Yakuza: Ishin! 73.086 134.580 SEGA 22/02/2014

PS4 Yakuza 0 101.656 149.612 SEGA 12/03/2015

PS4 Yakuza: Kiwami [All Versions] 100.647 159.300 SEGA 21/01/2016

PS4 Yakuza 6: The Song of Life 201.211 386.483 SEGA 08/12/2016

PSP

PSP Black Panther: Yakuza New Chapter [All Versions] 183.339 341.772 SEGA 22/09/2010

PSP Black Panther 2: Yakuza Ashura Chapter [All Versions] 94.833 186.293 SEGA 22/03/2012

WII U

System Title LTD Publisher Release Date

WIU Yakuza 1 & 2 HD for Wii U 7.753 SEGA 08/08/2013

BONUS

PS4 Hokuto Ga Gotoku 127.911 147.046 SEGA 08/03/2018

PS3 Binary Domain 76.593 114.348 SEGA 16/02/2012

360 Binary Domain 3.948 8.628 SEGA 16/02/2012

Hokuto Ga Gotoku sales until 18/3/2018
All other games sales until 21/1/2018

Source: Famitsu, https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/game-search
EDIT-It seems that the formatting of the post was messed up.
Do these include digital sales?

SpartanForce

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Finished yakuza 6. Had its moments, better that 4 and 3, but that's about it.
The combat is awful tho. Kiwami 2 much better on that regard.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I finally downloaded the yakuza 6 demo, and played for the first hour (that means, I mostly saw videos)

1) I loved the setup of this game, by the first minute you already realize that this game will strongly play with your emotions, watching the morning glory kids growing up was incredible. The subtitle "The Song of Life" is my favorite title ever, since it reminded me how attached I'm with Kiryu's story
2) Love the cellphone, specially how it sounds in the dualshock
3) The framerate totally destroys this game, after playing 0 and Kiwami this last 4 months I can't really stand the subpar framerate, I don't know how much it will bother me after playing on the main town (I have not left morning glory yet)

By the way, is there any online video showing the pre order bonus theme? I have decided to buy the collector's edition of the game, but I have interest on the theme if this is of good quality

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Finished yakuza 6. Had its moments, better that 4 and 3, but that's about it.
The combat is awful tho. Kiwami 2 much better on that regard.

I re-downloaded the kiwami 2 demo and the difference between it and the Yakuza 6 demo are pretty clear, it just feels a lot smoother. It's par for the course when you look at the changes from Y3 right to Zero. I love watching progress happen right before my eyes. I am looking forward what the team can build on top of what they managed with Kiwami 2,they knew what to improve on so far.
Also i've noticed i have more moves in the K2 demo than the first time i downloaded it. The beast style charge move strings are unlocked and i was sure we couldn't do that in the demo at the start. Makes it a whole lot more fun too, i am really glad we will get that game so soon.
I did notice you can start punching as soon as the fight intro text shows up in 6 but not in Kiwami 2, i saw people being irked about that.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Zero "froze" when trying to save :( The save menu never popped up and it just got stuck there. First bug across a ton of hours in all games.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

It's so hilarious that this excuse was given. The game would be fully understandable by someone who's never heard of Japan before.

Anyways, all I got left are the Black Panther PSP games. Are there any good English guides for them?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I recall zero winning one or two.

I think a couple of smaller press outlets gave Zero a GOTY.

I can't see Kiwami 2 or Y6 doing better than Zero on that front, but Kiwami 2 probably has the better chance because more journalists have probably followed 0->Kiwami->K2 and not gone through the whole series, plus the downsides people have talked about with 6 will probably work against it. And it sounds like K2 has one of the best narratives of the series.

Feb 22, 2018
Hey...I wasn't sure where else to post this, but I need help.

I've been finally playing Yakuza 5 in preparation for Yakuza 6, and I'm up to Part 3, chapter 1 right now. I'm in the middle of a story quest
where Ms Park takes Haruka out shopping. After buying some clothes, Haruka says she wants to go to an arcade.
It brings up a loading screen, and this is where I'm stuck :(

My system isn't freezing or anything, and the game itself is still running, because the light that shines on "Now Loading" is still moving...but I've left it sitting for several minutes, and it never ends. I've even tried reloading my save, and it did at the same spot again.

Any suggestions? :(

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so hilarious that this excuse was given. The game would be fully understandable by someone who's never heard of Japan before.

Anyways, all I got left are the Black Panther PSP games. Are there any good English guides for them?

As far as the black panther games go I really do not know. I know Salty yen is doing a run of BP1, so you might keep an eye on his channel.

Hey...I wasn't sure where else to post this, but I need help.

I've been finally playing Yakuza 5 in preparation for Yakuza 6, and I'm up to Part 3, chapter 1 right now. I'm in the middle of a story quest
where Ms Park takes Haruka out shopping. After buying some clothes, Haruka says she wants to go to an arcade.
It brings up a loading screen, and this is where I'm stuck :(

My system isn't freezing or anything, and the game itself is still running, because the light that shines on "Now Loading" is still moving...but I've left it sitting for several minutes, and it never ends. I've even tried reloading my save, and it did at the same spot again.

Any suggestions? :(
Are you playing a physical copy? Might check the disc and make sure it's okay, and if so delete the install data and do a fresh install. If you're on a DD Version then try reinstalling the game. Sounds like there's something wrong with the disc and/or install just reading that.

Feb 22, 2018
What doesn't make any sense to me, is that I've been able to play other parts of the game perfectly fine. While I was waiting for a reply here, I reloaded my save and did a few more side quests, and all of those load perfectly fine. It's just this one specific load that just never ends. Sucks that it had to be an unskippable story quest.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
dJCsvDG.jpg

After 250h im done with Y0. The last Amon fight with Majima was way easier to me than the Kiryu one.

I planned on doing Kiwami after this and then wait for Y6 but at this point im too burned out so im gonna wait a couple days and see how it goes then.

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fixed my previous post about the sales of Yakuza games in Japan (post #3256).I also finished the main story, and most of the substories of Yakuza Kiwami.I'll probably play Premium Adventure, and then wait for Yakuza 6.

Feb 22, 2018
Download complete, reinstalling Yakuza 5 now... I'm going to be so sad if this doesn't work :/

Edit: Ok! Looks like that might have done the trick...it got past that loading screen into the next scene.

Last edited:

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished Yakuza 5 last night. The game felt HUGE. I put in 109 hours, finished most of the substories, everyone's side stories, and apparently I only got 38% completion (I missed a lot of Haruka's jobs, though, because I maxed out her level early and wasn't able to unlock Komaki to raise her level cap before she stopped being playable). I really enjoyed the game, and thought the it might've been my favorite in the series during some parts.

I kinda got lost on the story with there being so many characters and having forgotten plot points since I started the game, like, 50 days ago. It's really hard for me to get so many Japanese names straight when there are so many of them. The same happens for me with games like Danganronpa.

I was pretty disappointed that...
I didn't get to play Haruka's final concert at all. I thought it would've been cool if they did something like have the concert happening in one window while showing Kazuma's fight in another, and having some QTE's match up with Haruka's dance moves, but maybe that would be too complicated or too ambitious for the PS3.

And, of course, I loaded up the Yakuza 6 demo right after finishing 5, and it was kinda crazy seeing it pick up right after Yakuza 5's ending and seeing stuff like Haruka's idol outfit remade with such fidelity.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I should try and finish Dead Souls, play Kiwami 1, or just take a Yakuza break before 6 (I've pretty much been playing through the whole series non-stop since last February, starting with the original PS2 game).

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Download complete, reinstalling Yakuza 5 now... I'm going to be so sad if this doesn't work :/

Edit: Ok! Looks like that might have done the trick...it got past that loading screen into the next scene.

Glad to hear! That would've sucked big time!

Now I'm trying to decide whether I should try and finish Dead Souls, play Kiwami 1, or just take a Yakuza break before 6 (I've pretty much been playing through the whole series non-stop since last February, starting with the original PS2 game).

While I would always say "there is never enough Yakuza", it's also easy to get burned out on the series. Yakuza 5 in particular (even though the gameplay was top-notch) burned me out a little, because I tried to do everything (all sidequests, jobs etc, but I wasn't aiming for a general 100% completition). Kiwami 1 is a short game, so you might be able to squeeze that in before 6. Dead Souls could wait for a Yakuza downtime (maybe after Kiwami 2?). It's not too long before the western release now either, so maybe a short Yakuza break wouldn't hurt too much, after all you were playing it non-stop since February.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Velasco So Y4 is the biggest one on Japan, interesting. But with the popularity rise in Asia in recent years and Japan decline then Y6 might be bigger thought.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I'll type up some more impressions on Hokuto in the official thread later, but one thing I really wanted to mention (and its not spoilery) that is a pretty big change compared to past Yakuza games is the difficulty. I'm on the 6th chapter now and the biggest difference between this and the last few Yakuza games in terms of normal gameplay stuff is how tough the game is. Now its not super hard by any means, but the 4th bosses sure put up a fight, and the 5th boss whom I just beat kicked my ass several times before I took him down. Yakuza games have been fairly easy going for me since 3, but this one actually makes you use the moves your unlocking to do basic damage sometimes - charging your triangle moves smacks bosses out of block states which open them up to follow up or juggle attacks - which in turn open them up to using secret techniques on them. I'm absolutely loving it, my one biggest complain about every Yakuza lately has been how easy they've all been, and this is fixing that for sure! Also, enemies are for sure more aggressive on hard mode which is also a very welcome change. For the first time in ages I'm actually buying armor and health stuff as I really do need them!
Oh, and that 5th boss also had an amazing dynamic intro and QTE segments. Just like every boss so far!

Steezy

Jan 7, 2018
Is the equipment search in Yakuza 0 broken? Some stuff just never seems to appear even when you pump the rate up to 99.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ok, I'll type up some more impressions on Hokuto in the official thread later, but one thing I really wanted to mention (and its not spoilery) that is a pretty big change compared to past Yakuza games is the difficulty. I'm on the 6th chapter now and the biggest difference between this and the last few Yakuza games in terms of normal gameplay stuff is how tough the game is. Now its not super hard by any means, but the 4th bosses sure put up a fight, and the 5th boss whom I just beat kicked my ass several times before I took him down. Yakuza games have been fairly easy going for me since 3, but this one actually makes you use the moves your unlocking to do basic damage sometimes - charging your triangle moves smacks bosses out of block states which open them up to follow up or juggle attacks - which in turn open them up to using secret techniques on them. I'm absolutely loving it, my one biggest complain about every Yakuza lately has been how easy they've all been, and this is fixing that for sure! Also, enemies are for sure more aggressive on hard mode which is also a very welcome change. For the first time in ages I'm actually buying armor and health stuff as I really do need them!
Oh, and that 5th boss also had an amazing dynamic intro and QTE segments. Just like every boss so far!

That's good. I find it frustrating that the bosses in Yakuza sometimes lose their narrative impact due to being such brief fights even on hard. I think a gruelling fight can contribute to emotional impact of certain bosses.

I get that they have to account for people who aren't doing any side content and are just rushing the story. But just make a difficulty mode for people who are doing all the sub-stories and stuff or a setting that allows bosses to scale up in difficulty based on your gear.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's good. I find it frustrating that the bosses in Yakuza sometimes lose their narrative impact due to being such brief fights even on hard. I think a gruelling fight can contribute to emotional impact of certain bosses.

I get that they have to account for people who aren't doing any side content and are just rushing the story. But just make a difficulty mode for people who are doing all the sub-stories and stuff or a setting that allows bosses to scale up in difficulty based on your gear.
Agreed. Bosses and enemies in HGG each have a level number next to them, which steadily goes up as you play/progress through the story which I find really cool. Some enemies have purple health bars as well. Not precisely sure what that means bar them always being higher leveled enemies (twice the level of me at that point in time) so I guess it just means "hey, watch out! Tough enemy!".

Anyway, spent the evening doing side stuff on HGG. Yeah, its Yakuza alright! Its just so much fun to goof off and do some trophies and side content, especially when the combat is this good.

Is the equipment search in Yakuza 0 broken? Some stuff just never seems to appear even when you pump the rate up to 99.

Cranking up to 99 makes it more likely for certain items to appear, but annoying there is a separate rarity rating for items as well which means some take bloody forever to drop even if you crank it up to 99. I think there is around 4-5 different parts that take ages to unlock, I remember it taking ages for the last 3 or so for me to unlock both times I played 0.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I heard that there was a making of book released for the 10th anniversary of the first game. Was there ever an english release or fan translation?

Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza 6 is a very very good video game. I don't know if I'm on the relative minority, but sincerely far I don't miss much of the excess from 0. I feel like the best things about Yakuza are the narrative and the world. Y6 is seemingly designed with agreater focus on those aspects.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Finished Yakuza 4 earlier today. That was definitely the series at its most convoluted, melodramatic, twisty-turny, backstabbing betrayal-ish, with the most offscreen shooters and "no actually this is the real bad guy!" so far. There were definitely some highlights in there, but man, what a messy way to tell that whole story. By the end of it all, I couldn't tell you about villain motivations or enemy organizations at all, and I had no clue why I was fighting some of these people, like
Daigo
Majima was pretty bad in this too. Poor guy was pretty much relegated to meme cameo status.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Tanimura's final boss fight... horrible! Just horrible!!!

Last edited:

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Yakuza 4 earlier today. That was definitely the series at its most convoluted, melodramatic, twisty-turny, backstabbing betrayal-ish, with the most offscreen shooters and "no actually this is the real bad guy!" so far. There were definitely some highlights in there, but man, what a messy way to tell that whole story. By the end of it all, I couldn't tell you about villain motivations or enemy organizations at all, and I had no clue why I was fighting some of these people, like
Daigo
Majima was pretty bad in this too. Poor guy was pretty much relegated to meme cameo status.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Tanimura's final boss fight... horrible! Just horrible!!!

I can't /wait/ until you play 5

Reading your impressions is going to be quite fun.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I can't /wait/ until you play 5

Reading your impressions is going to be quite fun.
Dude... you're telling me things get even worse?! Noooooooooo!!!

I've gotta say, it's a good thing 0 kept everything pertaining to Saejima and the Ueno Seiwa hit bare minimum. I would've never suspected the situation to be that complicated, I mean good lord. I do have a question now that those events have been elaborated upon, though:
Why did 1988 Majima act as though he didn't even know of Yasuko's existence, let alone her plight? She's never mentioned once in 0, and because of that, I had no idea Saejima even had a sister. You'd think while his oath brother is on death row and he's feeling all remorseful and guilty about things, Majima would at least make sure Yasuko was well taken care of, and able to visit her brother. 4 tells us she tried visiting him every single day, ffs.
I'd really been looking forward to seeing Majima and Saejima's interactions when they finally reunited, but came away disappointed. I hope 5 can do things better, in that regard.

SolidSmiech

Feb 3, 2018
dJCsvDG.jpg

After 250h im done with Y0. The last Amon fight with Majima was way easier to me than the Kiryu one.

I planned on doing Kiwami after this and then wait for Y6 but at this point im too burned out so im gonna wait a couple days and see how it goes then.

Congrats! As someone who also put in well over 200 hours getting the Y0 plat, I am well aware of the the effort (and patience!) that doing so required. I personally feel it's the Yakuza game that most deserves putting in that time, though, so it's a pretty rad plat to have.

As for Kiwami, I'd recommend giving yourself a break from the Yakuza trophy grind for awhile, stay away from that burnout until Y6 drops, and return to Kiwami later. The car chase on Legend can be especially painful in that one.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
So I'm playing through part 3 of Yakuza 5...
Met with Akiyama, but how do I change to him? there was a tutorial screen which I thought mentioned save points or the menu, but didn't read it properly and not sure how to actually switch. Hakura's objective is just to kill time, so can only assume I have to switch at this point to progress the main story?

I tried googling around and can only find people trying to switch back to Hakura or mentioning save points

For the rest of this part of the game, can I freely switch back and forth? or is there a point of no return if I want to wrap up side content?

Cheers for any help

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm playing through part 3 of Yakuza 5...
Met with Akiyama, but how do I change to him? there was a tutorial screen which I thought mentioned save points or the menu, but didn't read it properly and not sure how to actually switch. Hakura's objective is just to kill time, so can only assume I have to switch at this point to progress the main story?

I tried googling around and can only find people trying to switch back to Hakura or mentioning save points

For the rest of this part of the game, can I freely switch back and forth? or is there a point of no return if I want to wrap up side content?

Cheers for any help

While I believe you can do Haruka stuff in Premium Adventure mode, I swear I recall seeing some mention of one of her side stories not being playable in PA mode. So you might want to do those while you can.

To answer your main question - try going back to Haruka's apartment. I believe you can change characters from there.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Ah thanks, was just wandering the streets doing some side stories, but wouldn't mind a change from Hakura gameplay for a bit