shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Adachi ENG VA. Sounds pretty good. Pity they don't show much of his banter with Ichiban in the small trailer, was hoping we'd get at least a second of him reacting to Ichiban's haircut (still the funniest scene in the game).

Not having touched the dub in previous Yakuza's, I don't remember if enemies were dubbed as well or not, but I'm 99% sure its the case in 7. Having played 7 so much (especially using Adachi) I can tell you - the screams the enemies make during his Kiwami attack don't sound like the Japanese screams. So maybe all the NPCs are actually dubbed as well in this game?

Also, worth nothing that it seems like the game is 4K (on Series X) going by some of the promo wording.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Cannon fodder enemies were indeed dubbed in Y1. I know Judgement's wasn't fully dubbed such as the lines that friends utter after a random encounter which was jarring. Hopefully, 7 has fully dubbed lines for everything in the game.

Andrew Morgado as Adachi sounds pretty good! Looking at his IMDB page, the guy is super talented as he did the sound editing and sound mixing for Mr. Robot. But It's driving me nuts how Ichiban's VA sounds like Asian Troy Baker with a hint of Nolan North. Whether Sega wanted to get a sound-alike or not is a different story. 😆 Then again, we've only heard small snippets of the dub. Otherwise, I'm digging the diversity in the cast and look forward to the rest of the reveals.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Enemies were dubbed in Y1 and Lost Paradise. Judgment was the outlier. So happy with all of the dub coverage. Can't wait to experience this amazing cast.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I am starting to think 3-6 and Judgement might never come to pc. :(
Why's that? I feel SEGA is focusing on Like a Dragon at the moment hence the radio silence on PC ports, but that doesn't indicate that they won't happen eventually.

Plus we had this article come out today.
www.resetera.com

Sega Emphasizes PC & Console Ports After Persona 4 Golden Success, Talking With Platform Holders for New Games [Persona Central] News

Q: “Persona 4 the Golden” has been selling well on Steam, but do you have any plans to sell newly released games on Steam as well? A: We remastered “Persona 4 the Golden”, a title previously sold on the PlayStation Vita, and released it for sale on Steam this fiscal year. Because of the game’s...
I'm sure SEGA is gonna be focusing on PCs more moving forward. I for one am very much looking forward to ports since those are the real time combat games which I prefer so I really hope they happen.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was speaking to someone else about the lack of DLC in the physical versions, they suggested that its just a way of forcing you to buy the game digitally if you want all the extra shit as a means of Sega getting a bigger cut of the profit. Honestly, wouldn't really surprise me. Its a more expensive edition and when people realise that practically every piece of DLC in that package is completely worthless they'll wonder why on earth they paid the extra money for it all. The only good stuff is the costumes (free with any physical or digital pre order) and the jobs (which will be available as purchasable DLC, just like the Japanese version) anyway. The karaoke stuff is basically nothing and the rest is just consumable garbage that is over abundant in the game anyway.

I've got to be honest, it's not going to bother me this time around, but it's still a crappy move, I still haven't bought all of Judgment's DLC (I did get the drone one because I wasn't in the mood to deal with the racing on harder difficulties)...though that one with the girls is tempting.

Adachi ENG VA. Sounds pretty good. Pity they don't show much of his banter with Ichiban in the small trailer, was hoping we'd get at least a second of him reacting to Ichiban's haircut (still the funniest scene in the game).

Not having touched the dub in previous Yakuza's, I don't remember if enemies were dubbed as well or not, but I'm 99% sure its the case in 7. Having played 7 so much (especially using Adachi) I can tell you - the screams the enemies make during his Kiwami attack don't sound like the Japanese screams. So maybe all the NPCs are actually dubbed as well in this game?

Also, worth nothing that it seems like the game is 4K (on Series X) going by some of the promo wording.

Enemies were dubbed in Y1 and Lost Paradise. Judgment was the outlier. So happy with all of the dub coverage. Can't wait to experience this amazing cast.

This is true, but the shops were not dubbed neither was the ambient chatter, I can understand the latter but the former was a bit odd.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The girl DLC? I think that's just letting you get past hostesses like Yuki as advisors in the business mini game and that's truly a pointless purchase since you can get so many good advisors just by playing the side stories etc. You also unlock more better ones just by ranking up more in the mini game (heck, the second time I did the mode for EX Hard to unlock Eri and the special Kiwami move, I didn't even do side stories and still got amazing advisors. That DLC is basically nostalgia bait for people who just really like Yuki... should have put Makoto in there as well, seems there's enough people on reddit/discord who'd blindly buy that for her alone)

I am starting to think 3-6 and Judgement might never come to pc. :(
Be patient. They are clearly focusing on 7 at the moment. Maybe after that. or not.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This whole Baka Mitai meme thing still seems to be going strong... one of the metal gaming cover Youtube channels I follow just uploaded this:

You know, this whole meme will probably give 0 another boost in sales whether it be on PS4, Steam or Gamepass... I really need to look up just how this whole thing started to gain traction, but hey its cool that the series is getting more attention.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The girl DLC? I think that's just letting you get past hostesses like Yuki as advisors in the business mini game and that's truly a pointless purchase since you can get so many good advisors just by playing the side stories etc. You also unlock more better ones just by ranking up more in the mini game (heck, the second time I did the mode for EX Hard to unlock Eri and the special Kiwami move, I didn't even do side stories and still got amazing advisors. That DLC is basically nostalgia bait for people who just really like Yuki... should have put Makoto in there as well, seems there's enough people on reddit/discord who'd blindly buy that for her alone)

I might've phrased it wrong but I was referring to Judgment's DLC with the girlfriends and Saori that is tempting for me. As for 7 I'll probably just get the jobs DLC and maybe the costumes that aren't in the launch edition.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I might've phrased it wrong but I was referring to Judgment's DLC with the girlfriends and Saori that is tempting for me. As for 7 I'll probably just get the jobs DLC and maybe the costumes that aren't in the launch edition.
Oh, that's also pretty worthless. Fairly certain the Saori stuff is just walking around with her in Kamurocho and doing mini games like Darts against her. Though I never purchased it myself.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Yakuza 5 for what feels like forever at this point. This game feels very bloated. Just started Shinada's section.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Someone Bakamitai'd the Beirut explosion and I admit I laughed but I felt really bad about it

It was just so absurd I couldn't believe it

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made it to Chapter 4 in Judgment again and... I dunno. I want to like this game a lot more than I do because the combat is legit excellent for the series and it's still a lot of fun, but Yagami just isn't anywhere near as compelling as Kiryu. I don't really care about anyone in the story.

I'm gonna keep going for another chapter but if I don't change my mind I think I'll drop the game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
A new translation for Ryuuji's chapter in RGG Online:
dojimasdragongirl.wordpress.com

Ryu ga Gotoku Online: The Golden Dragon’s Wanderings – Chapter Two

Chapter 2 of Ryuji’s origin story … guess where we are this time?

Kinda starting to wish this plot was a) more fleshed out and b) not wasted in a mobile title. I like the idea of having multiple cities (Yakuza 5 style) while having an arcadey Hang On section between each chapter as you race to the next one. Getting to see Nagoya again was cool, Shinada turning up was super cool (I love that goof...) and the plot is at least interesting.
Thumbs down on Takayama getting yet another damn redesign though. That's the third time... Aside from having glasses I swear his PS2, PS4 and now mobile designs are almost entirely different (or at least different enough that you'd not instantly think they are the same character).

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They never should've recast for someone much older...or used his new actor's likeness for the redesign. Also, he kinda looks like Robert Downey Jr. now, lol.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Recasting in the sequel was a weak move to have an actor in 2 that wasn't there initially. They also revoiced a few other characters that honestly, didn't need/shouldn't have been changed. Only one that had to be changed was Karou due to them rerecording all the games dialogue, and her retiring ;(​
What still annoys me is how Takayama is supposed to be this up and comer in the Omi Alliance and then in the remake he's an old man. He's supposed to be younger than Ryuuji, not old enough to be his old man!​

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I was annoyed by changes to Takayama as well, felt really dumb, even if you try handwaving it with oh changes can happen due to availability, and I also agree the younger version was a lot better.

I was a bit bummed to learn that Karou's boss was also recast for some odd reason, especially when I found out his original actor is the father of Saki Akai, who would later appear in 6 as one of the hostesses.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm tailing Mari while dressed as a vampire. Can't believe I ever thought Judgement wasn't really Yakuza.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Bessho was great in the original and another that really didn't need to be recast. Kiwami 2 was a really weird one in that respect - outside of the cut/changed content (which is another discussion entirely) I do wonder why a remake got this sort of treatment? I know 2 is beloved (for good reason) but its also the kind of thing that I'd imagine has a fairly tight budget (fact of the matter - remakes and remasters never do as well as the originals did so their sales expectations shouldn't have been high) so quite why they replace/recast so many characters, especially going as far as replacing Takayama with actor face is an odd choice... I'd have rather that budget have been used to add back in several things that were cut but the other issue with Kiwami 2 was the ultra tight dev time it got so I doubt extra budget would have helped much if the release date was set in stone.

Ah well, I'll be replaying both (originals) 1&2HD on my PS3 at some point soon as part of a plat run for the series, so I can at least play that version again for myself rather than complain about certain things the remake (which I still love) did differently...

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Are you sure that's supposed to be the same character? The Yakuza 2 character is called Takashima, not Takayama.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Played Yakuza 0 recently, it's way better than Kiwami. Wish I played 0 first, would have made the final fight in Kiwami a lot more impactful.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure that's supposed to be the same character? The Yakuza 2 character is called Takashima, not Takayama.
I get Takashima and Takashiro confused all the time between 2 and 3, so that and the fact they never keep Shima's model the same is to blame here (honest!). That said, going by the way the plot ends at the end of the chapter... I do wonder if its supposed to be the same person anyway, just either mispelled or mistranslated? Who knows, I wouldn't put it past Sega to just reinvent the character again, just for the heck of it!

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
I get Takashima and Takashiro confused all the time between 2 and 3, so that and the fact they never keep Shima's model the same is to blame here (honest!). That said, going by the way the plot ends at the end of the chapter... I do wonder if its supposed to be the same person anyway, just either mispelled or mistranslated? Who knows, I wouldn't put it past Sega to just reinvent the character again, just for the heck of it!
You can see the kanji for Takayama in the screenshot:

etw4PmK.png

The ones for Takashima look completely different:

NwZeEnW.png

I really don't think it's supposed to be the same character.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
This whole Baka Mitai meme thing still seems to be going strong... one of the metal gaming cover Youtube channels I follow just uploaded this:

You know, this whole meme will probably give 0 another boost in sales whether it be on PS4, Steam or Gamepass... I really need to look up just how this whole thing started to gain traction, but hey its cool that the series is getting more attention.

the Yakuza love will be revitalized with this meme

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
the Yakuza love will be revitalized with this meme
I doubt it. Like many memes, the vast majority of people don't care for the origin, only the meme itself, before it becomes old and they move onto the next one.

...But a small minority of people will Google the Yakuza series as a result of this meme, and potentially discover a great series thanks to it, so I'm happy for them.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
I doubt it. Like many memes, the vast majority of people don't care for the origin, only the meme itself, before it becomes old and they move onto the next one.

believe Aurc. we have to believe. if not let's drink some sake and virtually sing Baka Mitai to drown the pain away

i don't even drink lol

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well, going by the ever reliable (choke) source that is reddit, people are getting into the series thanks to that silly meme. And since a few games are free on gamepass currently, that's made it easier to check them out on impulse. Of course I do wonder how the series will do on Xbox especially in the future when the games aren't day 1 gamepass games like 7 is... but that's another conversation...

Hopefully some sort of news for the series springs out from TGS next month... I'm going ever more mad wondering what they will do with the series next. Well that and I'm forcing myself to finish off several other games before I go back and replay RGG1 on the PS3 (otherwise the backlog would never get cleared)

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The actor of Oyassan died of pneumonia on August 10.
www.nikkansports.com

渡哲也さん死去 裕次郎さんの後を継ぎ…肺炎78歳 - おくやみ : 日刊スポーツ

映画「無頼」シリーズや、刑事ドラマ「西部警察」などで知られる俳優渡哲也(わたり・てつや)さん(本名・渡瀬道彦)が10日午後6時30分、肺炎のため亡くなったこと… - 日刊スポーツ新聞社のニュースサイト、ニッカンスポーツ・コム(nikkansports.com)

If I know right, 3 was his last work for the series. Unlike the other characters, his voice wasn't rerecorded for 極1 and 極2 and the original audio was used in those (in 0 as well).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
www.nikkansports.com

映画「無頼」シリーズや、刑事ドラマ「西部警察」などで知られる俳優渡哲也(わたり・てつや)さん(本名・渡瀬道彦)が10日午後6時30分、肺炎のため亡くなったこと… - 日刊スポーツ新聞社のニュースサイト、ニッカンスポーツ・コム(nikkansports.com)

If I know right, 3 was his last work for the series. Unlike the other characters, his voice wasn't rerecorded for 極1 and 極2 and the original audio was used in those (in 0 as well).
Noooooooo :( His performance as Kazama is one of my favourites in the series and such a important character as well. Now if you'll excuse me, its time to crank up Lyricism Without Tears ;(

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, another two games added to my Yakuza collection. I now have Ishin, 0 and Kiwami for the PS3 and I don't really know why:

I definitely gotta do a run through them on the PS3 just to see how they hold up compared to the excellent PS4 versions.

Also, in weirder news - for anyone who pays attention to RGG Online here (or is that just me?) they've rolled out a weird new "upgrade"... its replaced all the character graphics with really bad card graphics (as in - the characters are all presented as cards now) and the animation has all been cut from the game... its an incredible downgrade really... no doubt its gonna piss people off and I can only think of one reason why its done - and that's to churn out more SSR cards quickly and halfheartedly. Reckon this is potentially the beginning of the end for it. Can't say I'd be surprised to see support for the game die once Ryuuiji's plot is finished (if it even lasts that long)

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
www.nikkansports.com

aww damn, that's really sad to hear, I quite enjoyed his performance, he was awesome. Rest in peace.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
www.nikkansports.com

God dammit. Kazama is one of my favorite characters in the series. He may not be a prominent screen presence, but he's always relevant to the plot in a huge way, and he's the reason Kiryu is who he is. Watari had a distinct and memorable voice, and played the role perfectly.

Rest in peace, Tetsuya Watari.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm liking Judgment a lot more than I did previously, but the reveal of the Mole was total ass.

Oct 27, 2017
www.nikkansports.com

Man that really sucks.

May he rest in peace.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
www.nikkansports.com

It didn't dawn on me until today that both actors that portrayed the character counterparts, him in the regular series and Unsho Ishizuka in Ishin have passed away. 😔
RIP.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Something from Yakuza 1 I was thinking of early yesterday.
Kazama can orchestrate these grand, intricate plans involving a lot of people and moving parts in both 0 and 1, but he can't see that his own son, Nishiki, is headed down a dark path. A decade went by, and Kazama basically did nothing to help steer Nishiki back on the proper road, as far as we know. He clearly played favorites with Kiryu.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, its clear
that Kazama loved Kiryu (and Yumi) way more than Nishiki. Almost as if the poor sod was collateral damage lol. Kazama probably got sick of him whining, and was like Kashiwagi in thinking "why couldn't that boy be more like Kiryu".
Its a pity that Nishiki's path wasn't explored more outside of the cutscenes in Kiwami. Would have made an interesting game - Kazama acting as the angel on his shoulder while Shimano acts as the devil corrupting him. That'd make a way more interesting Yakuza 0 II than another Majima/Kiryu story, or would have but I think Kiwami's cutscenes kinda leave little to the imagination now.

Plus Yakuza flashbacks have a tendency to contradict at points. So I'd rater we not get any more of those.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, its clear
that Kazama loved Kiryu (and Yumi) way more than Nishiki. Almost as if the poor sod was collateral damage lol. Kazama probably got sick of him whining, and was like Kashiwagi in thinking "why couldn't that boy be more like Kiryu".
Its a pity that Nishiki's path wasn't explored more outside of the cutscenes in Kiwami. Would have made an interesting game - Kazama acting as the angel on his shoulder while Shimano acts as the devil corrupting him. That'd make a way more interesting Yakuza 0 II than another Majima/Kiryu story, or would have but I think Kiwami's cutscenes kinda leave little to the imagination now.

Plus Yakuza flashbacks have a tendency to contradict at points. So I'd rater we not get any more of those.
It's just such a shame, since
things likely would've gone differently, had Kazama and Kashiwagi mentored and guided him better than to simply treat him like the red-headed stepchild. I love those two as characters, but the way they treated Nishiki was straight-up wrong. He already had so much on his plate to deal with due to Yuko's illness, and then with Kiryu going away, and his two mentor figures not really paying him much mind... his support network was essentially non-existent.

This isn't to absolve Nishiki of any wrongdoing, of course, but merely to illustrate that he didn't have the coping skills to deal with overwhelming feelings of powerlessness and inadequacy, and so that really ended up manifesting in the only way it could've: destructively.

I do like your idea about 0-2, btw. We've spoken on this in the past, but it'll never happen, because RGG Studio doesn't want us playing as "the bad guy". They'd whitewash Nishiki and turn him into a saint, rather than portray his downfall as it was shown in Kiwami's flashbacks.

Speaking of: at which points would you say the flashbacks contradict?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Good point on the white washing. It'd be yet another "kicked outta the clan" story, or something similar (like what Online is doing with Ryuuji at the moment, not to say that's entirely bad since the plot is pretty darn cool in terms of fanservice, but its also a copout. As for flashback contradictions, nothing much yet - I'm more still annoyed how Kamurocho is apparently RGG's version of Castlevania (the transforming castle that is) - in that it seems to transform itself between games and certain shops are in completely wrong areas, certain posters and mini games exist before they technically should etc.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Good point on the white washing. It'd be yet another "kicked outta the clan" story, or something similar (like what Online is doing with Ryuuji at the moment, not to say that's entirely bad since the plot is pretty darn cool in terms of fanservice, but its also a copout. As for flashback contradictions, nothing much yet - I'm more still annoyed how Kamurocho is apparently RGG's version of Castlevania (the transforming castle that is) - in that it seems to transform itself between games and certain shops are in completely wrong areas, certain posters and mini games exist before they technically should etc.
They straight up break the lore in all sorts of ways! #ContinuityForKamurocho

Ah well, it is what it is. Even Sotenbori is getting in on the lore breaking action, since everything looked the same in 2006 as it does in 2019. All the ads and signs identical, no noticeable change.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, sadly Kiwami 2 has the "problem" of using the same ads etc. which we already saw in the newer games. In the arcades, you see a poster for Virtua Fighter 5 which wasn't supposed to be out at that point in time for example. Plus Kiryu using a smartphone, of course. I don't mind too much as this probably due to budget reasons / time constraints (the ads at least) but it certainly is going a bit against their usual attention to detail and everything having a time appropiate feeling.

SerTapTap

Oct 27, 2017
Been binging the series, I'm not the best at ranking things but I think my favs were Kiwami 2, Yakuza 5 (Haruka arc aside tbh), and 0 roughly in that order, 3 and 4 a little clumsy especially 3. Haven't played 6 yet but I have a copy.

Played Kiwami 1, 0, then Kiwami 2 and number order from there, that's how I'd recommend playing it personally. I see a lot of people recommend 0 first and it just doesn't make sense to me, seeing Kiryu and Majima getting their start just doesn't matter in the same way if you don't know who the fuck these dudes are.

Loving the dialog and style of the series, though I'm kind of baffled playing 3-5 at how long it took them to get the weapons and shops right. Going from Kiwami 2 to remastered 3, while a bit unfair to judge on, was unquestionably rough (STOP BLOCKING) and it really took until 5 for weapons to be treated as something the player might actually give a crap about (again weird coming from 0-Kiwami 2). QOL improvements across the series are super welcome, but oddly slow-coming.

It's probably on purpose but also I totally hate the trophy design for the series--you're literally always blocked by mahjong, hanafuda, shogi etc, they're the few things that are absolutely never removed, and you never get enough cheat items to blaze through them completely. Not sure I'll ever platinum a game in the series because of that. Also Kiwami 2 is weird for being so recent, yet the level up system is pretty unbalanced: I have way, WAY, W A Y too many of the red XP points and never enough of several of the rest, even after beating the game.

Premium adventure not rolling into NG+ is also a kick in the teeth, especially for Yakuza 5 where if you make a save just before the final battle, you're still screwed out of Haruka's stuff.

Sorry to hear about Tetsuya Watari, just heard about it yesterday myself. Kazuma made for a really interesting dynamic.

Got reminded to come here since I googled something about Yakuza and the old site game up...thread was...what you'd expect, full of transphobia etc. Shocking how bad that place got. Was looking up what the changed trans related mission was, since I know something got cut in 3 (looks like it was gross) and I noticed a character in Yakuza 5 was treated decently enough and I kinda wondered if the orig release was like that or not. Gotta lose my muscle memory to that site. Anyway, Yakuza does on occasion have some Japanese social attitudes related cringe at time but could be a lot worse and Kiryu's usually pretty reasonable (especially for a blatant himbo).

Icepick_1878

Nov 29, 2017
It's probably on purpose but also I totally hate the trophy design for the series--you're literally always blocked by mahjong, hanafuda, shogi etc, they're the few things that are absolutely never removed, and you never get enough cheat items to blaze through them completely. Not sure I'll ever platinum a game in the series because of that.

Yakuza 6 is much better designed in that regard. You only need to achieve a certain level of completion and you can choose what you want to do to get there. I only go for the platinum if it's not to much of a hassle. I got the trophy in Y6, Y4 and Dead Souls, with Y6 being by far the easiest.

(especially for a blatant himbo).

Learnt a new word today...