• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Square Enix are merching Xenogears because they know the demand of the series but won't commit to even re-releasing the game on modern platforms.
That's what blows my mind more than anything. If you can get Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy Tactics and Valkyrie Profile out on smartphones, what's stopping you from giving Xenogears a try? At this point, the baseline spec requirement has to be so that most smartphones in use today in markets that would be receptive to the game are up to the task. This is to say nothing of a PC or console rerelease.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
That's what blows my mind more than anything. If you can get Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy Tactics and Valkyrie Profile out on smartphones, what's stopping you from giving Xenogears a try? At this point, the baseline spec requirement has to be so that most smartphones in use today in markets that would be receptive to the game are up to the task. This is to say nothing of a PC or console rerelease.

I get that the game may need a UI overhaul, remade sprites and improved textures for the environments but even that shouldn't be too costly for Square Enix. Just get Artepiazza to do the remastering, they did the work for Romancing Saga remasters. Job done.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Just wanted to randomly drop by and say that I got my first ever full elemental burst while playing Torna (by coincidence), I was so excited that I went "OOOHH!!" out loud for like 4 times in the span of 10 seconds.

Now I feel lightheaded.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Our wait goes on... but still, this is a big day for Monolith Soft - fingers crossed we get some art. :)

I'm still confident that Rex and Pyra/Mythra are going to be in the roster, it's just a matter of time.

Yeah, it's annoying AF. I meant moreso I'm glad that Xenoblade is keeping the Xenogears flame alive, if that makes sense.

store.na.square-enix-games.com

XENOGEARS® BRING ARTS™ Elehayym “Elly” Van Houten [ACTION FIGURE]

Arriving to Bring Arts is Elly, the heroine of the masterpiece “Xenogears,” which continues to be loved by fans even 20 years after its release!The soft materials in her skirt allow for smooth movement. Her hair also incorporates moveable parts, reflecting the detailed designs that showcase...

store.na.square-enix-games.com

Square Enix Store | North America

Buy video games online at the Square Enix official store. Shop our top franchises including Final Fantasy, Nier, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest & more.

If anybody wants Xenogears merchandise to satiate their Xeno hunger, Elly and Weltall figures are still available from Square Enix.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Melia figure update. Looks better than I thought it would.

EkfgWhMXEAAD5cb

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Random thought of the day - Xenosaga seems really cool.

Watched a bit of Enel's playthrough and you can kind of see where Xenoblade got its... not sure how to term it... feel, from.

As a Brit and a latecomer to Monolith Soft in general (began with the first Xenoblade) it's cool to see.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Playing Xenosaga 2 and I finally had an experience that made me want to bounce off of it (I've been enjoying it thus far).

Jesus the Ormus Stronghold is such an annoying designed dungeon. I ended up pathing through it in the worst way possible.
1. I arrived at the first elevator before pressing the button, meaning I had to trek to the button and backtrack back to progress there.
2. As I ascended the elevator, I saw a breakble block adjacent to said button that revealed a chest and a path to a door. Assuming it was optional content (which I prioritize to minimize EVS backtracking), I trekked back to the button only to find an extended path behind the door, with said path (a) not being optional, and (b) being gated by the door at the top of the elevator I just left.
3. After backtracking back to the elevator and fighting a fairly by the numbers mech boss fight, I trekked all the way back to the path behind the elevator and finally started to make some progress, but I was promptly greeted by a bunch of flying enemies that are annoying because only Shion and Momo can easily hit them.
4. After powering through and reaching the end of the stronghold, I'm greeted with a difficulty spike boss fight that I only got through by equipping several party members with ice cloaks/ice veils, and even with said skills, the battle still took three tries and lots of (finite) resources.
5. Following said difficulty spike boss, I am presented with perhaps the only appropriate conclusion for a dungeon as backtracky as this one: having to run all the way back out of there under a time limit, complete with re-spawned enemies. Believe me I was glad to see that place explode.
I just wanted to vent a bit here.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Playing Xenosaga 2 and I finally had an experience that made me want to bounce off of it (I've been enjoying it thus far).

Jesus the Ormus Stronghold is such an annoying designed dungeon. I ended up pathing through it in the worst way possible.
1. I arrived at the first elevator before pressing the button, meaning I had to trek to the button and backtrack back to progress there.
2. As I ascended the elevator, I saw a breakble block adjacent to said button that revealed a chest and a path to a door. Assuming it was optional content (which I prioritize to minimize EVS backtracking), I trekked back to the button only to find an extended path behind the door, with said path (a) not being optional, and (b) being gated by the door at the top of the elevator I just left.
3. After backtracking back to the elevator and fighting a fairly by the numbers mech boss fight, I trekked all the way back to the path behind the elevator and finally started to make some progress, but I was promptly greeted by a bunch of flying enemies that are annoying because only Shion and Momo can easily hit them.
4. After powering through and reaching the end of the stronghold, I'm greeted with a difficulty spike boss fight that I only got through by equipping several party members with ice cloaks/ice veils, and even with said skills, the battle still took three tries and lots of (finite) resources.
5. Following said difficulty spike boss, I am presented with perhaps the only appropriate conclusion for a dungeon as backtracky as this one: having to run all the way back out of there under a time limit, complete with re-spawned enemies. Believe me I was glad to see that place explode.
I just wanted to vent a bit here.
Yeah, Xenosaga 2's dungeons are not great. They're made even worse by the slow battle system as well as the game's weird encounter design (the game loves to throw some hard-hitting and/or tanky enemies at you, even in random "trash" encounters) . This made most of XS2 a real slog to get through. Thankfully, they mostly improved on these aspects in XS3.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
You're gonna need to refill that popcorn. 🤭

Honestly, I never gave up hope, but I couldn't publicly display my optimism because it was too painful.

Made several arguments for Pyra/Mythra over Rex and here we are, three years later. Despite being told the game is too old and that XC2 'just missed out' for years, I feel vindicated. lol

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Decided to start an emulated play through of Xenosaga 1, and eventually 2 and 3. Maybe distance and time will make me appreciate them more than I did when they were originally released.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Decided to start an emulated play through of Xenosaga 1, and eventually 2 and 3. Maybe distance and time will make me appreciate them more than I did when they were originally released.
This is exactly what I plan to do. I consider saga the weakest of the three xeno titles but I played them while I was busy in college and kind of rushed through. Need another playthrough of them taking time reading the data logs and knowing story elements in advance.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I really enjoyed the first Xenosaga game last year. I started part 2, but fell off as life got in the way. Now I'm not sure if I want to continue playing it on my laptop, or just start over with real hardware on the TV. I should probably use the laptop since I can still camp out on the couch with it, but there are graphical glitches in PCSX2 I was unable to eliminate and I find annoying. I have a real nice set of HD retrovision component cables with the TV though.

I really didn't like how you have to buy skills in Xenosaga 2. The menus require a million button presses to do anything. You can't see all the skills available at once, you have to keep checking all these sub menus.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
We really need to use this thread more. We're a passionate bunch on here for all things Xeno, after all. Cool to see the Saga impressions above.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Yeah I personally enjoyed the Xenosaga games (namely 1 & 3) quite a bit, though not for the same reasons I like Gears or Blade. There's no telling how much time I spent in the glossary across 1 and 3; I wish Gears and Blade had that feature. It was pretty great time reading through it and it was an intuitive way to dole out the lore, preferable to the Perfect Works book as a means of distributing worldbuilding/lore in my opinion.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Agreed, that's why I'm trying to be the change I want to see in the world, lol.

lol love it.

It's a shame all these older Xeno games are tied up on different platforms, with different publishers - with some games not even releasing in certain parts of the world.

What's the chances all of this shit actually gets worked out one day and they are rereleased?

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
What's the chances all of this shit actually gets worked out one day and they are rereleased?

All we ever got for Gears was the PSN release circa 2011, which of course will also be unavailable soon. I wouldn't be shocked if they did something like that again though, but it may be contingent on Sony making more of an old game effort like they were when they built out the Playstation Classics line.

For Saga, I think we have to wait a few years before daring to hope again after what Harada said.

I kind of wish there'd been more progress with PS2 emulation? PCSX2 still seems very janky, and Play! doesn't seem to be seeing that much work.

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea this thread existed! I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition for the first time and I'm hopelessly addicted.
Question though, do I miss out on much by not bothering to rebuild Colony 6? It seems really fetch quest-y.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
I had no idea this thread existed! I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition for the first time and I'm hopelessly addicted.
Question though, do I miss out on much by not bothering to rebuild Colony 6? It seems really fetch quest-y.
From what I recall, you miss-out on some shops and sidequests (including one that gives you access to an item that boosts friendship between party members greatly).

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
From what I recall, you miss-out on some shops and sidequests (including one that gives you access to an item that boosts friendship between party members greatly).
Got it, thanks! Doesn't sound too bad then. As long as I can still beat the main game fairly easily without doing the rebuild, I'm gonna skip it. I've had enough fetch quest for a while after playing the FF7 remake.
Can't wait to sink so more hours in this weekend.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
All we ever got for Gears was the PSN release circa 2011, which of course will also be unavailable soon. I wouldn't be shocked if they did something like that again though, but it may be contingent on Sony making more of an old game effort like they were when they built out the Playstation Classics line.

For Saga, I think we have to wait a few years before daring to hope again after what Harada said.

I kind of wish there'd been more progress with PS2 emulation? PCSX2 still seems very janky, and Play! doesn't seem to be seeing that much work.

Seems like the best thing Monolith Soft can do is keep delivering for Nintendo in hope that Harada takes note. Maybe that'll help create a marketplace for those games.

I've experienced a lot of Gears and Saga secondhand, but it would be nice to play them both myself one day.

Got it, thanks! Doesn't sound too bad then. As long as I can still beat the main game fairly easily without doing the rebuild, I'm gonna skip it. I've had enough fetch quest for a while after playing the FF7 remake.
Can't wait to sink so more hours in this weekend.

I think that's the right call. XC2 and X both improve on the side quest formula laid out in XC in their own ways. But a load of quests in XC just aren't worth doing if you ask me.

Colony 6 is a shining example of side quest hell in my opinion. lol

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Alright, finally got to the Gnosis attacking the Woglinde. I had forgotten a lot of this game. I will say the music is more similar to Xenogears than I remembered, in a good way.

if anyone wants me to stream while I'm playing through that might be fun. Then again experiencing it does the first time on your own is the way to go. I'm still kinda amazed at how decent it looks with the 16:9 hack enabled

Last edited:

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I recently finished the first Saga game, and while I enjoyed it, I have to say that the ending was one hell of a ridiculous difficulty curve. It went from 0 to 100 in the timespan of a single corridor. It was absolutely ridiculous. Apparently if you manage to get all robot parts the final few fights are crazy easy, but I never managed to find one of the door keys so never finished it. That final fight is ridiculous, especially since you can't properly prepare for it.

Also, the timer in the game was absolutely crazy. It jumped all over the place from 35 hours to 16, to 99:59:99 and back to 4. It was absolutely bizarre! I suspect that it's part of the fact that my CMOS battery might be dead, but still. I had a laugh at some of these changes.