• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
No, I am very serious. I am playing Pursuit Force (the classic Sony franchise) right now on PSP and it makes Wii games look like N64.

I don't know what Wii games you've been playing but there is no way the PSP can play a game like XC or Sonic Colours. Hell if I recall the Wii was the equivalent of two Gamecube's duck taped together which themselves were more powerful than the PS2.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
What makes Shadow of the Colossus PS4 a remake and Shadow of the Colossus PS3 a remaster though?
The level of new work being put into the project, it's likely something the staff and company decide on in terms of does almost everything get overhauled or only select components.
www.eurogamer.net

The making of Shadow of the Colossus on PS4

Now known as the 'masters of the remaster', Bluepoint Games has a well-earned, solid gold reputation for delivering som…

Wonicon

Aug 6, 2019
Animal Crossing is a technical powerhouse on Switch. Max system res, good frame rate and good graphics w good lighting

A remaster running below 720p (which isn't really even HD at this point) is a tough sell
AC has little effort on anti-aliasing, and has many loadings.
If a remaster means simply scaling up the original version, then it's easy for Switch to obtain 720p or high. But it's not. DE's improvement on graphics gains a lot of pressure on Switch, and we should keep in mind that Xenoblade has a large open area with non-resuable field elements and many enemies wandering.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
There seems to be a continuum between what's a remake and a remaster, so there's no point to arguing on this specific game.
It seems to be running on the skeleton of the Wii version, with a large part (but not all) of the visuals being remade.
Monolith went through the troubles of remaking those visuals, yet the result is disappointing to say the least, especially as first party games should be an example of what's possible on a machine.
This game may be vast, but it's no Witcher 3 in terms of scope or even visuals. That it runs at a similar or maybe lower resolution is a shame; monolith had one job: making it look good. As it is, it feels half baked, and it's not a matter of switch pro. It's on monolith.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol... again, NEVER trust off-screen footage.

XC2 looked good off-screen too.

That's why you should see videos like that as a useful resource. XB2 looked fine, not good but fine, in handheld mode (I wouldn't have put in most of my 250 hours there if it didn't) and it should be the same here

Last edited:

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I don't know what Wii games you've been playing but there is no way the PSP can play a game like XC or Sonic Colours. Hell if I recall the Wii was the equivalent of two Gamecube's duck taped together which themselves were more powerful than the PS2.
No, friend. I think you need to play Pursuit Force.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who plays their regular Switch in handheld most of the time

I was always going to be playing this on my TV.

I'm still a little disappointed but I never got to play it on Wii and this version looks way better and is way more convenient for me (never owned a Wii)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The level of new work being put into the project, it's likely something the staff and company decide on in terms of does almost everything get overhauled or only select components.
www.eurogamer.net

The making of Shadow of the Colossus on PS4

Now known as the 'masters of the remaster', Bluepoint Games has a well-earned, solid gold reputation for delivering som…

Yeah, my point was that it's all a bit nebulous. Even in that interview they're talking about how they kept as much of the original skeleton as possible and it was mostly the rendering which was updated which is similar in approach to Xenoblade DE.

In the same vein if they took the original Xenoblade, upped the resolution of the textures, rendered at 1080p and called it a day that would be a "remaster" by most standards but obviously that would be a lot less work than the current version(for better or worse).

That's why people are going to get their backs up when someone dismisses it as just a "Wii remaster" because that's somewhat unqualified. There were even a few people who came into this thread thinking it pretty much was just a port of the Wii version.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
For reference this is what it looks like handheld

Looks fine to me

XC2 also looks fine when it's actually at 540p in HH mode. The issue is how often does the resolution drop below that, and what does the sharpening filter look like. XC2 could vary wildly in this regard, and often ended up looking horrible. I would expect that DE does not drop off the target resolution as often or as dramatically, but ultimately that's the analysis people would want to know, and an off sceen video is not going to tell us.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
1590351196-1590348113790m.jpg

What...

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, you should trust hardcoded values and OS-level screenshots over video captured from a crappy cellphone cam.

As the OP of the portable screenshot thread on here I would not trust Switch's built in screenshot tool to make an accurate representation at all! They're compressed JPGs for one thing!

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah, my point was that it's all a bit nebulous. Even in that interview they're talking about how they kept as much of the original skeleton as possible and it was mostly the rendering which was updated which is similar in approach to Xenoblade DE.

In the same vein if they took the original Xenoblade, upped the resolution of the textures, rendered at 1080p and called it a day that would be a "remaster" by most standards but obviously that would be a lot less work than the current version(for better or worse).

That's why people are going to get their backs up when someone dismisses it as just a "Wii remaster" because that's somewhat unqualified. There were even a few people who came into this thread thinking it pretty much was just a port of the Wii version.
I think the problem is that the remasters last gen were fairly lazy and closer to ports more than anything else and this gen we're seeing more extensive work and actual remakes but people still view remasters as what they were last gen.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can confirm. I started playing this today on handheld and it looks VERY rough. Everything looks blurry. The backgrounds look blurry, faraway things look blurry. If you zoom out of the characters in battle, it looks blurry. Character models in cutscenes look ok, but I am midway through the opening and it is pretty rough so far. Even enemy models/backgrounds in cutscenes look blurry. :(
Ouch. Can't wait for Digital Foundry video. Hopefully they test variety of locations and combat scenarios.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
This person played docked and feels it looks and performs better than XC2/Torna. He claims he "hasn't come across a situation where the game looks bad or too low res" on his 4K TV.

devon37

Banned
Jan 3, 2019
Yes, you should trust hardcoded values and OS-level screenshots over video captured from a crappy cellphone cam.
Not when those hard-coded values don't actually tell you how often the resolutions occur. And you can screenshot particular areas to make games look worse than they do usually and in motion.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there's a way to determine if the clockspeeds are running the same as XC2 or using the boosted mode of BoTW from the leaked data.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
It's almost as if people complaining MISSED THIS VIDEO ENTIRELY. Saying Wii version is a better is a joke. Don't just look at the numbers, look at the actual visuals and performance.
Yeah that video basically validated what I hoped the game would look like. I'm not gonna try and say the handheld mode will look ideal for many, but I plan to play this mostly in docked mode with the occasional nighttime in bed play as well. It looks great to me and I have no reservations about my preorder whatsoever.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem is that the remasters last gen were fairly lazy and closer to ports more than anything else and this gen we're seeing more extensive work and actual remakes but people still view remasters as what they were last gen.

Yeah, remasters on PS3/360 were pretty much just straight ports. Nowadays a remaster can still be that, or it can be something like Crash Trilogy... which probably would have been considered remakes back in the day.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
User banned (3 days): Trolling over a series of posts.
Having watched a video of it, while looking good for a PSP game it still looks like just that, a PSP game. Sonic Colours, Smash Brawl, Mario Kart Wii. All look better. But if you think Pursuit Force looks better, its your choice.
I'm sorry I played you for like three replies

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't get why they do not focus on high rendering resolutions for these games. I feel like the large environments would benefit a lot with the added clarity. When I showed my brother XC 2 for the first time in handheld mode, I was in an open environment and his first reaction was asking why it was just so blurry and ugly.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
...and? I don't really see this as much of an issue. Preview footage looks good to me. People gotta remember there's mobile Tegra chips in this thing, it's no Xbox One Series X.
Super stoked for this game. If I did a 3DS playthrough as well as Wii, I can manage a 540p/720p remaster.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yeah, remasters on PS3/360 were pretty much just straight ports. Nowadays a remaster can still be that, or it can be something like Crash Trilogy... which probably would have been considered remakes back in the day.

That's my viewpoint. Crash Trilogy are remakes, MGS HD Collection etc. are remasters. If it uses new models, assets, gameplay mechanics, and engine I consider it a remake. If it's just an upres with improved textures/fps, it's a remaster.

I feel like people saying "$60 for a Wii remaster?" are just trying to pass it off as an upres Wii game.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I still don't get why they do not focus on high rendering resolutions for these games. I feel like the large environments would benefit a lot with the added clarity. When I showed my brother XC 2 for the first time in handheld mode, I was in an open environment and his first reaction was asking why it was just so blurry and ugly.
Because when a game has native resolution on Switch but worse graphics because of it, people also complain.