• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which will you be purchasing

• Playstation 5

Votes: 1,938 52.8%
  • XBOX Series X

Votes: 985 26.8%
  • Both in due course

Votes: 745 20.3%

• Total voters

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Neither.

Why?

• No games have been shown this far.
  • More important things to worry about at the moment...
  • Already sick and tired of this slagging match going on in the general gaming part of ResetEra these past few days. Thought this place was better than that.
  • Too many games are coming out this year, and not enough time to play them all.
  • First year (or two) of most consoles are often underwhelming or dry ... 🌵

But down the line?

Probably a PlayStation 5.

Their support from the Far East is unrivalled and, as an ex-Xbox fanboy, I was surprised at the quality gap between the two first party stables — you see, the likes of Bloodborne, Ratchet & Clank, The Last Guardian, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War and Spider-Man just simply appeals to the kind of person I have grown up to be a little bit more.

I know it's a small sample of a niche, but it's pretty interesting that the percentages in that poll are probably really close to the current gen sales percentages.

Interestingly, you are not too far off actually.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Hope your smartphone is American made. Or your TV.
My TV is from 2009 and I'm not into the idiotic hype cycle of upgrading my phone every 1-2 years. The situation with the current systematic government led oppression & slavery of Uyghur Muslims is also on a different level of awfulness to even general exploitation of the workforce.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
PS5 for me.

I only have time for one console and seeing as I've got digital purchases on PlayStation going back to the PS3 days, I feel I'm too invested just to switch and leave that all behind. Plus I guess Sony's first party games have always interested me more as I enjoy single player experiences more.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
My 2080ti is already a higher spec XBSX, and it plays the exact same games. So only a PS5 for me.

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
Question: is there any confirmation for Dolby vision and Atmos with UHD playback for both machines?

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I don't have enough information yet. I still need to know:
  • What are the launch prices?
  • What are the launch lineups?
  • What do the consoles look like?
  • What do respected third party devs say about the hardware differences?
  • What is the full picture in terms of backwards compatibility
Some of those questions are more important than others, but I still need the answers.

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
Sony has a better track record of games in the last decade. Gonna go with them.

Putarorex

Sep 16, 2019
I always get both but tend to play the Playstation more. I just like the first-party games on the Playstation more. Plus it is far easier to find physical copies of PS games in Japan; the local Wondergoo doesn't have an Xbox section anymore.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both eventually. Series X to start with as Game Pass is impossible to pass up.

lol indeed. I thought people had moved past the embarrassing sales wars.
What's embarassing about sales? I expect it to happen due to brand and the poll here kinda reflects that even with better marketing on Xbox's end. How about this, Xbox will sell great numbers too and their main driver will be their services. Now both plastic box will sell a lot. I hope that makes your day :)

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Ill probably go with ps5 this gen.im sorry but xbox just doesnt have enough 1st party games that interest me. They did with 360, hence why i got a 360 last gen.

But since they basically wasted all ip's rare has, and im not convinced they wil bring back banjo or kameo for series x.

Besides that spec wise yea there is a 1.5 ish tf difference. But devs always develop with the lowest common denominator in mind 99% of the times.

But well see, we still dont really know if "arrogant" sony is making a comeback upcoming gen.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Series X for me, as it'll be a drop-in upgrade for my Xbox One X (which still can't be confidently said of the PS5) and I've got Game Pass Ultimate until the end of 2022.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
It will be an Xbox first because I'm tied to their ecosystem through both friends and my GP ultimate subscription. We SHOULD see consistently higher quality from Microsoft's first party studios this upcoming gen but I doubt they come close to what we will get software wise from Sony.

If the specs check out it looks to me like it will be multis on both PC and the Xbox and the PS5 will be my exclusive machine. So no real change for me.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Both, at launch, because i am a fiscally irresponsible moron who cannot resist shiny new tech toys.

(And because i can easily afford it)
C9psWZi.gif

Last edited:

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
PS5 easily. There's no way I would miss Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Polyphony, Sucker Punch, Insomniac and other first party games.

I don't have time for two consoles and I have zero interest in Xbox exclusive games.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely getting a PS5 at launch. That was my plan before we heard about the specs for either console, and I'm sticking to it.

What has changed, though, is I'm now considering getting an Xbox as well. It's still not as powerful as my PC, but it's actually much closer than I thought it would be. With such a small power gap between my overpriced PC and the Xbox, enhanced back compat and the ease of use that comes from console gaming are making it very tempting. Will have to wait and see how much it costs.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
PS5 first. I'm looking forward to it but we have so many good games coming out before then, it makes me wonder when the good stuff is going to come out on PS5.

Bloodborne for me was the game of the generation and the reason to get a PS4.

UnsungKing

Dec 31, 2019
Xbox first. I think they are going to surprise us this gen with their exclusives. So many new studies working on great stuff. Plus the console is more powerful so that's a bonus.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure about launch as price and software determines that but I will say I really dig how MS have gone about their business with the X series and could see myself jumping back to MS this time around.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Current plan is a Series X at launch. I'm already subscribed to Game Pass well into 2021, and right now I trust Microsoft more to make a quiet console that I'm not going to regret buying in six months when it starts sounding like a jet engine.

Depends on the games, though. If Sony has something like Horizon 2 available on launch day then I'll probably go with a PS5.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Think it depends on what launch exclusives the PS5 has. I know all my friends will get that but I'm more interested in the X, especially since with Game Pass alone there should be a decent amount of games to play for a while.

Merc_

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
PS5 will probably have more games I'm interested in than Xbox as has been the case for me for pretty much every generation. I might pick up the Series X down the line later like I did with the One X once enough games that I'm interested in that I can't get on the PS5 or Switch appear.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't think the difference in specs is going to matter at this point - One X was and still is amazing, and both of these systems are well beyond that benchmark.

I'll buy PS5 for exclusives, and Series X potentially for gamepass and hopefully a different breed of exclusives from Sony's output. Loving the visual style of Everwild.

That said, I don't want to blow $1200~ AUD all on new systems this holiday (on top of whatever Switch has in store), so I'll probably choose one this holiday, and which one that is - no idea yet. Show me the games.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A series x at launch, for the power, first party games, and my giant xbox library coming with me. And a ps5 two or 3 years down the line. After some of the major exclusives come out. Im really looking forward to a new ratched and clank, and a new spiderman game. And that demons souls remake if its real. Im sure sony will have some killer third party exclusives that ill want to play as well.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
The results of that poll are a little eye opening. I expected Sony to still be the market leader this coming gen but perhaps not by the wide margin they enjoyed with the PS4. While it's still early, and we still have the see the launch games, I had expected the numbers to be closer than that.

Interesting.

PS5 easily. There's no way I would miss Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Polyphony, Sucker Punch, Insomniac and other first party games.

I don't have time for two consoles and I have zero interest in Xbox exclusive games.

This goes for me too. Sony have invested heavily in their first party output for years and their portfolio of games/IPs are now their strongest asset.

Oct 27, 2017
What's embarassing about sales? I expect it to happen due to brand and the poll here kinda reflects that even with better marketing on Xbox's end. How about this, Xbox will sell great numbers too and their main driver will be their services. Now both plastic box will sell a lot. I hope that makes your day :)
I think traditional hardware sales is an outdated metric, that's all.

The landscape is shifting and traditional measures that were an indicator of market share/success in the past aren't as appropriate anymore IMO.

Djavanes

Nov 15, 2017
Xbox Series X has a PS4 (1.8TF) more power then PS5. And I'm not seeing with good eyes how Sony is dealing with the next-gen. Looks like something is wrong with them. Series X on Launch for sure.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think traditional hardware sales is an outdated metric, that's all.

The landscape is shifting and traditional measures that were an indicator of market share/success in the past aren't as appropriate anymore IMO.
So it's not embarassing but just you disagree, got it. Of course the traditional metric doesn't work anymore but more hw sales usually means more software sales. That's why ps franchise has been on their peak sales this gen and xbox ips are on decline. Gamepass might eventually give them profit in the future though

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 for me

And the PS5 backwards compatibility thing a is a myopic echo-chamber drama that only gamers can deliver. Is it good to have it? Yeah. Will PS5 have it? Yes. Do normal people care? I really don't think so. Jim Ryan has the data. The same people in that thread will complain about the backlog in the next "OMG my backlog is so big thread"

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Easy choice for me PS5. Not really interested in the MS first party studios, and I already have a capable pc. In the event they do make a game I'm interested in I can always use gamepass for a month.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox series X for me. All my purchases come with me. I'll get the ps5 later down the road when their exclusives come out

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
im already in the process of getting a new gaming pc together, so just the ps5

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
PS5 for me - I don't care about marginal power differences at all.

I just want good games and Sony has the exclusives for me.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I'm really liking GamePass on my PC (primarily a work PC) but I prefer Comfy Couch gaming and have liked the approach MS is taking now where it's about their software on whatever device they can. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out, but I'll likely be going XBox this time (Never owned an XBox, have owned all PS consoles)

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Console specs mean nothing to me. The price of the console and the games that are going to be available on it are what will used to make my purchase decision.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 if there is something like Demon's Souls at launch.Not interested in Xbox for a few years since i have a PC

leehom

Nov 30, 2017
PS5 for sure. Might purchase Xbox if they have some appealing games or bring back Kinect (wife loves it).

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
PS5 boyz make some noise!!!

at least I hope to get one at launch.....who knows what impact this corona-virus will have in the upcoming months....

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I voted PS5, only because I primarily play on PC and most of the console exclusives I want play are on PlayStation. However, given the power of these consoles, I might end up getting both and ditching the PC in a couple of years, depending on the cost and performance differences between the PC and consoles. I am interested to see how Nvidia's next high end card preforms, and to see how PC game versions compared to the PS5/XSX games, especially since the new consoles will have ray tracing.