• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I dont know why I just assumed PS5 had this as well. If they dont, it's a huge advantage for MS. What a great feature.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Using this suspend feature on PC involves manually going into Resource monitor (not task manager) and suspending a game. It is nowhere near as convenient as what Xbox is doing. I'm quite jelly that Xbox is so far ahead in this respect. PC probably could do it, but Microsoft hasn't really added the functionality to make it work easily. You could have a super fast SSD, but resuming a game would probably be faster on Xbox than starting it from scratch on PC in most cases.
Thanks for the explanation. It goes with that whole "convenience" thing people mention when talking about consoles, so it makes sense. Though with MS supporting PC with their games, I'm wondering if they'll start working on features like this on their Xbox App and such. Though I'm not super educated on this stuff so I'm not sure how likely that is.

But up to 12 games in a quick-resume state is definitely an interesting, console-selling feature for some people you'd have to think.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I was surprised to hear that there isn't a notification when a game state is being purged from quick resume. Seems like something that's kind of important. Also, being able to "pin" a game so other games will be prompted for removal before it would also be a great feature.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I was surprised to hear that there isn't a notification when a game state is being purged from quick resume. Seems like something that's kind of important. Also, being able to "pin" a game so other games will be prompted for removal before it would also be a great feature.
Agreed. Would give a chance to save or something.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, it doesn't warn you? Can you at least manually purge games from that list to preemptively make space? I'm guessing that could be an easy fix with a FW update if it's not already planned for launch. If not, that would be a really big oversight.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the explanation. It goes with that whole "convenience" thing people mention when talking about consoles, so it makes sense. Though with MS supporting PC with their games, I'm wondering if they'll start working on features like this on their Xbox App and such. Though I'm not super educated on this stuff so I'm not sure how likely that is.

But up to 12 games in a quick-resume state is definitely an interesting, console-selling feature for some people you'd have to think.

It's not just conveniece, that 'trick' is not doing the same thing at all. That is preventing the OS from allocating any processing time to the process but it is still retained in memory, etc. Quick resume is saving the state of the title to disk while freeing the resources it was using

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it's the same deal on xbox one. Unfortunate

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
It's not just conveniece, that 'trick' is not doing the same thing at all. That is preventing the OS from allocating any processing time to the process but it is still retained in memory, etc. Quick resume is saving the state of the title to disk while freeing the resources it was using
I didn't mean to minimize Quick-Resume, personally I see it as a big system seller for Xbox consoles. I just didn't want to sound like I was dismissing PC as a platform that seems to lack this feature.

Thanks for your explanation, how it works seems so interesting! I'm very excited to put this into practice :) First thing I'dd do is start up Gears and try 5 other games at the same time XD

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Considering quick resume writes on the ssd, is it persistent even if you shut down the console or the written data is flushed?

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
One of the previews I watched this morning (I think maybe Gamespot) said it kicked his game out of quick resume on the 6th game. It's probably all down to size.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
I guess the OS probably has 40GB of the SSD allocated to hold the RAM of suspended games. Which can hold 3 SX games or more factoring in the various amounts of RAM of Xbox's past.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
this is most likely dependent on the generation of the games, you will have like 5-6 Xbone games, 8-12 360 games, 15 or more OG xbox games. But the question is how many XSX games? 1-2 maybe 3?

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Many here have said they don't need so many. But where this really shines is a shared console. My three kids play different gamed. With Fortnight, F1 2020 and Sims 4 (and more beside) all quick resuming my kids will be very happy.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I really like the fact that it works with BC games saved on a USB HDD as well. It makes sense that it does but I hadn't considered it before and it's almost like a cache for a slower mechanical drive. Really nice, as you're not going to want to waste precious internal drive space on BC titles.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Holy moley, this is actually so cool. I had a plan going into this gen that the only games that I was going to buy digital would be huge open world games or long-term multiplayer, but the ability to hold the 3-4 games I typically flip between in constant resume state like this is so tempting.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
Can't watch the video right now, but how does save state work? Like copying the entire 16GB files from RAM to SSD for each game? If this is the case and this is my understanding as well, it means 192GB free space should be available on the SSD for 12 games. If there's more space then more can be added too

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Digital foundry mentioned that quick resume is slower then what ms showed them a while back. Really wonder why

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Quick Resume is one of the best features of next gen.

Do we know if PS5 is going to have something similar?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
- can I turn it off and free up space on my SSD (espcially important for XSS owners)
- can I still have a 'sleep mode' current game live suspended with the console sleeping if I turn off quick resume
- does it warn me when I'm going to kick the oldest suspended state out?
- is it a global setting across all users on the console or does every user get that much storage (and therefore increased reserved space)?

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Nice "oh that's nice to have feature"
But no one will realistically need to suspend 5-6 or 12 games.

What type of resources does the resume feature pull?
I mean having that many games in the quick resume queue has to come at some kind of penalty.

My three kids who share a console will.

Just because you won't use a feature, doesn't mean no one will.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Nice "oh that's nice to have feature"
But no one will realistically need to suspend 5-6 or 12 games.

What type of resources does the resume feature pull?
I mean having that many games in the quick resume queue has to come at some kind of penalty.
I hope it works with different profiles.
Quick Resume has to work as dumping RAM onto SSD. That's why you can store more 360 games than X1. It has to be stored at that 120GB reserved space for OS.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Can't watch the video right now, but how does save state work? Like copying the entire 16GB files from RAM to SSD for each game? If this is the case and this is my understanding as well, it means 192GB free space should be available on the SSD for 12 games. If there's more space then more can be added too

These are BC games. OG Xbox had 64MB ram. 360 had 512MB. MS said there will be space for "at least" 3 XSX games so the reserved space for Quick Resume is probably in the 40-60GB range.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- can I turn it off and free up space on my SSD (espcially important for XSS owners)
- can I still have a 'sleep mode' current game live suspended with the console sleeping if I turn off quick resume
- does it warn me when I'm going to kick the oldest suspended state out?
- is it a global setting across all users on the console or does every user get that much storage (and therefore increased reserved space)?

majornelson answered in the drive space thread that no, you can't turn it off

Also, others have said that previews show that it does not warn you which would be consistent with the xbox one, but I havent watched those previews

The Xbox OS is constantly iterating though so if these turn out to be problematic I am sure they will add some options around it

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
No that the xbox series really fit my playstyle but considering how I use my systems (from ps3 to Switch) this is a goddamn game changer!
Like legit "this is next gen" shit.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
majornelson answered in the drive space thread that no, you can't turn it off

Also, others have said that previews show that it does not warn you which would be consistent with the xbox one, but I havent watched those previews

The Xbox OS is constantly iterating though so if these turn out to be problematic I am sure they will add some options around it

thats true - they update quite often and new consoles esepcially so I hope they allow at least a 'pinned' or 'don't delete without asking' option to certain games.