• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I am still not understanding why people cannot get through their heads that this console targets 1440P/60fps; sometimes 120fps. The Xbox One X targeted 4K/30. It rarely did 60fps, mainly on racing titles and a few indies.
I think some people might have assumed since the Series S is more powerful than an X1X, it'll run and display games equal to or better than the X1X. It's targeting 1440p for next-gen games but older XB1 games that run at 4K on the X1X could do the same on the Series S given its hardware, but I imagine the RAM is probably the likely culprit there.

Sep 22, 2019
Games wont be in 4k. They get everything else.

Now if the One S game is locked at 900P I cant say if the Series S makes it 1080p but it gets alot of features added.

The Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR."

a lot of these enhanced games have 60fps modes that wouldve been nice to have

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
super strange, but budget console=budget features, most casuals buying this wont even know or care. i personally would never even consider buying this, but at least you have a choice

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I'm sure there's a list but how many games on One S still have variable or unlocked framerate and dynamic resolution? Like just thinking back to DF videos, something like RE2/3 remake will now run at 1080p 60FPS on the Series S versus whatever it struggled through on the One S. It's still a decent boost and I get losing supersampling from 4K isn't great but I guess if you aren't really chasing resolution it's not the biggest loss?

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Bad news keeps pouring about this console. I atleast expected it to run same settings as X in BC mode easily.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I think some people might have assumed since the Series S is more powerful than an X1X, it'll run and display games equal to or better than the X1X. It's targeting 1440p for next-gen games but older XB1 games that run at 4K on the X1X could do the same on the Series S given its hardware, but I imagine the RAM is probably the likely culprit there.

That's exactly what I thought, so, good that MS clarified this early enough.

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
You did not read the article or thread....

Xbox Series S was designed to be the most affordable next generation console and play next generation games at 1440P at 60fps. To deliver the highest quality backwards compatible experience consistent with the developer's original intent, the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR."

You wont get the 4k One X....because it doesnt do 4k
You get everything else.
*slow clap* What's more, why would Microsoft design it that way? If you are buying Series S you don't seem to mind your next gen games run at 1440p, but it's a deal breaker that your BC Xbox games don't run at 4K? What? I mean sure, it's nice to have, but you benefited by saving yourself $200. What sort of logic is this?

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
agreed. MS is giving everyone a choice. $299 XSS or $499 XSX / 1080p or 4k.

Exactly. I don't know what the problem is. If you care about 4K gaming the Series S is not for you, but Microsoft has also designed a console for 4K gaming at a perfectly reasonable price for the specs.

The Series S is more for the parent who wants to buy a next-gen console for their 10 year old kid for Xmas etc, because I have news the 10 year old kid couldn't give two hoots about 4K lol.

If Microsoft only offered the Series S I could understand the disappointment, but they also have the Series X, so I don't understand really where the disappointment is coming from.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
That sucks. I wanted a Series S almost exclusively for backwards compat. I might as well just get a one S then. What makes it worse is that the 1X is discontinued so I can't even get that either.

If that's true, you're in luck. If you do a search for "Xbox One X" on eBay right now, the first dozen or so listing are either new or excellent condition 1X consoles at the $290-330 USD price point for buy-it-now, from highly rated sellers. Amazon has units in stock, but they're closer to original MSRP, so between $400 to $500.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Technically they can make those games to run at 1440P or the 900P One S games up to at least 1080P, but then that'd require reworking the game to make it Series S enhanced like they enhanced it for One X. RAM is definitely the culprit here.

The question I have is will it play Xbox 360 games at One S level as well i.e. basically Xbox 360 settings? or can it push higher resolution for it?
Because I can't see why RAM would be an issue for those games

Oct 29, 2017
seems to make sense to me . I feel like sure they could make BC games from Xbox one look and play better. What's likely is they will not invest the extra work into it and just make it the S version .

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This is def why they touted this as 4x as powerful as the One S and didn't mention the X1X. Where this kinda beats the 1X in ways and in other ways it's less powerful.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018

I think even the GPU is close enough that you couldn't get away with a blanket approach to BC without testing games. I am not entirely convinced that the XSS GPU can match the X1X in every work load. Surely there are some that will perform better with the quantity of CU in the XBX.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Technically they can make those games to run at 1440P, but then that'd require reworking the game to make it Series S enhanced like they enhanced it for One X. RAM is definitely the culprit here.

The question I have is will it play Xbox 360 games at One S level as well i.e. basically Xbox 360 settings? or can it push higher resolution for it?
Because I can't see why RAM would be an issue for those games

Those should be fine.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You know what. We have all been overthinking things. The names literally freaking tell it all.

Xbox One S - Xbox Series S

Xbox One X - Xbox Series X

They are upgrades on eachother. It was right there in the names all this time.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Look like for the majority of the people here, Xbox One win this generations due to BC 👀

Joke aside, 90% of the people who will have XSS it will be for Fortnite,2K,XGP, next gen games only.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
There is no magical "next gen" sauce that would make sense for a AAA game like Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Cyberpunk, Control, or Doom Eternal to run at native 4k on Series S in BC mode, while The Medium runs at 1080p natively. Minimal RT implementation isn't going to give you that kind of performance hit.

However, like I said above a few of these cross-gen games will be interesting case studies. Next-gen enhanced Control running at 1080p/30 with RT effects vs One X "last gen" running at 4k30. Or AC:V running at 1080p60 (presumably) on Series S, vs the One X version at 4k30, with varying levels of assets and LoD.
I'm talking more about XBOX, 360 and Early-mid gen titles, of course that demanding games shouldn't be possible, but one could expect to run RDR1 at 4K the same way as in the ONEX, I still think it's possible, but they didn't made it clear.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
That's a damn shame.
I'll need to hear about how it handles 360 and OG Xbox games.

I wanted to replace my One X with this machine.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't the official spec sheet (or that reveal trailer) say it upscales games to 4K? If it can output 4K I don't see what the limitation is here.

Running a game at 4K isn't the same as upscaling a lower-res to 4K. So for example, the current One S system can already play video and UHD 4K Bluray content just fine at native 4K, but not run games at that resolution (besides upscaling it). The Series S is the same way, where it's not designed to play games at native 4K, but can play video or upscale games to that res.

Status
Not open for further replies.