• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why they couldn't announce the Series S, showing why they have an entry level option and a premium option, and say pricing will come soon.

It seems like something went seriously wrong with it or they are no longer sure it belongs in their lineup.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I dont get is why would they make series s digital only if its meant for price-conscious people which I imagine prefer physical over digital games due to pricing, so how can MS cater to these folks by removing the ability to play games in their format of choice.

The number of people who prefer physical - price conscious or not, is shrinking constantly.

There are tons of games that can be purchased cheaply via digital sales, plenty of popular games that are F2P, and services like gamepass, that throw out digital games like candy.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but this is obviously marketing that has changed.
We can all agree Series S would already be at millions of units produced in manufacturing to hit this year, and yet no sign or leaks of that being the case.

supply for Series S will be super constrained for the foreseeable future. They wont need to have many available for launch, so they dont need to start manufacturing all that early.

With the high levels of demand associated with console launches, flooding your supply chain with the lower margin device makes no sense. When people are willing to spend the most is when you want your most expensive option to be what is on shelves.

If they made the decision to push series s to next year, I imagine we wouldn't be seeing it mentioned in controller packaging. They would have had plenty of time to change the packaging.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
So are we expecting for Microsoft to reveal this Console at TGS 2020 or they will hold an event before their conference there?
Cause if MS waits until TGS it means that sony will probably wait too.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
I don't understand why they couldn't announce the Series S, showing why they have an entry level option and a premium option, and say pricing will come soon.

It seems like something went seriously wrong with it or they are no longer sure it belongs in their lineup.
The biggest selling point of a second console is price - showing games running worse or whatever has no effect unless it has a price

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
They can't announce the Series S without having games on stage to demo. That's a delicate balance in and of itself because they have to show the reason why someone should buy a Series X while also showcasing the that S won't be a nightmare trying to run the same games. If they can't demo that they'll sink either the S, X or the whole line before they've even launched.

Given the state of game development this year its likely been incredibly hard to find games to do that with. Wouldn't surprise me if the original intention was to do it with Assassins Creed but the game is in too rough a shape to do it.

Nov 1, 2017
Do you think I should hold on to my launch edition One X. Since its no longer in production? Will it have some kind of value one day?

It's hard to say. Though, unless it's some special edition Xbox One X, I don't see it holding any monetary value in the future since the Series X and S are going to have the same backwards compatibility as the Xbox One X. I can't remember if the One X is backwards compatible with Kinect games because I don't think the Series X and S are so there's that maybe?

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
They can't announce the Series S without having games on stage to demo. That's a delicate balance in and of itself because they have to show the reason why someone should buy a Series X while also showcasing the that S won't be a nightmare trying to run the same games. If they can't demo that they'll sink either the S, X or the whole line before they've even launched.

Given the state of game development this year its likely been incredibly hard to find games to do that with. Wouldn't surprise me if the original intention was to do it with Assassins Creed but the game is in too rough a shape to do it.

Exactly!!