• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

This must be a "breeze" to design for the MS team compared to the Series X haha

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
If they had used an external power supply, the system could have been smaller than a gamecube.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Schermafbeelding_2020-11-09_135237.png

southbridge

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
No cables except for the fan is very impressive.
Ah. It'd be great to install Linux on that box haha.

the7egend

Mar 6, 2018
That's an amazingly simple tear down for the Series S. Honestly it's impressive. Good job Microsoft Engineers/Designers.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
SSD looks like it could be pretty simple to replace, has there been any info on if someone has tried to do this yet?

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Wow, the fact that the only cables in the whole thing are for the powersupply and the fan is pretty crazy, right? Seems like a really well put together machine.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Damn that thing is compact and I'm surprised that even I could do that if I wanted to try expanding the Nvme storage. Also the AC7 music is perfect for this.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Ive never been so confident that I can pull a console apart and put it back together without breaking it until now

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that the fan 'sucks', rather than blows through the heatsink. Makes sense for the way the console is designed, though, obviously.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The Series X and S both seem so well-designed. I don't have a whole lot of experience taking my consoles apart, but I had to do it with my PS4 Pro last year to replace the disc laser and it was a nightmare in comparison to these.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
No cables other than the fan is really impressive. The PSU just snapping into place to connect is really interesting. Well done, Microsoft.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
funny how the S and X are different ends of the spectrum. The X looks complex and obviously a lot of thought went into it and the S is quite basic, in a good way. Both look really well designed for what they do.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
I recently discovered MVG and I think his content is great as an old man who mostly sticks with Jeremy Parish, Giant Bomb and Digital foundry. This video is great. I think the strategy of the Series S is very interesting to me. That fan is so huge. I love it.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
wow, master chief is on the xbox series s day one after all

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Why did I have to find this post 2 pages in? I love teardown vids. This seems a lot easier to get into than the Series X at least. Too bad he stopped before removing the heatsink.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Thanks for sharing the video. MVG is definitely going to bolster his followers with content like this. I'm surprised. As for the Series S, I would call its' internals simple and yet elegant. I love it.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Super clean, gonna be one reliable console, most likely. You love to see it!