• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendos been doing this shit for two or three years. Sony decides to jump aboard and suddenly BC is brought up and everyone seems to hate the idea.

..huh?
People asked for a decent library/VC service for Switch since it was announced.

If anything it's good for everyone that MS calls the other two out over this.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't understand the PS1 classic @ $100. If there's no enhancements to the games why not just go out and get a PS1 and a bunch of games you want for chump change.

Because going to the next store and buy a system for $100 is easier than hunting down a Playstation 1 with games - it also comes with a HDMI output so you can connect it to a modern tv easily.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
These classic consoles aren't for me, but I can see the appeal in having an easy to plug in nostalgia machine. I'm not upset about the tweet, other than it kinda cheapens just how awesome the BC program is. 20 games vs 400+ and growing. It's not even comparable IMO.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but not the PS4. My Xbox 360 can play Xbox Games at no additional cost also. But current-gen should be what people are focusing on. Nintendo and Sony want to make a quick buck on nostalgia. Microsoft does also, at the cost of their newest consoles, but in a better way whether that be X enhancements, Game Pass, Games with Gold, or you simply owning the game. Microsoft's deal is the better deal in all honesty especially if your backlog is on disc or digital. You don't have to have a subscription or buy a separate console, but you can if you'd like.

But even still, if I bought an Xbox One or a PS4 I should be able to indulge in the previous gen games at no extra cost. Sony's been acting fairly greedy these days, but I couldn't pass on their games this gen.
Market leader vs competitor playing catch-up. It's always the "what have you done for me lately?" scenario with gamers. The sentiment plainly ignores the reality of the hole that Microsoft dug for itself in the beginning of this generation. You know, when they "got greedy" coming off of the 360 and pulled a massive digital only overreach and Sony's PS4 was the "gamer's console" and the golden child for the gaming community. Competition is the best source of innovation and Microsoft being humbled led to their current gamer-centric focus and the BC initiative that folks love. No more TV TV TV TV.

What's my point? All of these companies have varying degrees of greed bubbling underneath so the tribalism for each is just weird. They are, after all corporate entities who have as responsibility to make money. Whether it was Microsoft's overreach with the original Xbox One design, Nintendo basically dumping Wii U ports on the Switch for full price and people eating it up or Sony selling a $100 box full of games that you may already own and can't play on the PS4. None of them are innocent.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because many of us have already bought these old games, in some cases multiple times.

XBox is 100% right. Having to buy a novelty hunk of plastic to play old games when they could simply be part of Switch and PS4 really sucks and is really money-grubby.

What did you use to acquire these games? Money?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft has a console for people who want to play classic games...its called Xbox One.
Just wait and watch .they will announce it .they won't pass up on the money and this is a good way to get some funds from core fans . A small oroginal Xbox with 20 games .if they can sort out the lincensing issues that is

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who claims advertising and marketing a product is a "desperate move" should get a one day ban for being an idiot or fanboy. Like what the fuck do you expect companies to do.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft has a console for people who want to play classic games...its called Xbox One.

Khv5bgVSNSwQ7BBn4mvln326xpI0Cr40iExD0089qXtgjCacrVunaa5kwvdga6pBLAp6-pmN-ex0pSAZDmwwF9mfZdIxeUzwbSlrijlK7kFv_ubpi2u5=w435-h250-nc

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't understand the PS1 classic @ $100. If there's no enhancements to the games why not just go out and get a PS1 and a bunch of games you want for chump change.
PSX video output is limited to S-Video unless you want to invest in something like the Framemeister or OSSC and use a SCART connection to provide RGB. A better option would be a PS2 which has component video support and gets you mostly there. How many TV's have component video anymore though? So the PS Classic gives you the games in question, a quick and easy method of connecting them to modern TV's and you do get a significant improvement in clarity if your only experience was playing PSX games back in the day on a CRT.

A PS3 is also an option if you have a substantial disc/digital library.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Another interesting thing to think about: The NES, SNES, and PS1 Classic are mainly aimed at casual or lapsed gamers who don't already own current-gen consoles but have nostalgia for older systems. I imagine Microsoft doesn't really have that kind of audience on hand.

The old Nintendo systems and the original PlayStation penetrated the mass market to a huge degree and are old enough to where original owners probably dropped out of gaming and see this as an opportunity to relive some memories. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out most people who bought an Xbox in 2001 or 2002 are still playing Xbox today and don't need a mini console to relive the memories. The thing is, I'd say the same for NEOGEO fans. Maybe there's a larger population of lapsed NEOGEO fans in Asian countries, but in the west I imagine the people who bought NEOGEOs in the 90's are passionate enough to have bought those games when they showed up on the Switch, PS4, or PC.

Oct 31, 2017
Just wait and watch .they will announce it .they won't pass up on the money and this is a good way to get some funds from core fans . A small oroginal Xbox with 20 games .if they can sort out the lincensing issues that is
Why would they do this when BC is their main draw? Ninja Gaiden Black I bought nearly a decade ago digitally, I can play on X1 now. Every PS1 and PS2 I bought on PS3 I can't touch on PS4. Some of them they've put back on the store and want me to buy them again.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I expect this thread to be closed soon for the rather embarrassing display but I have to say, this has been a top 5 thread in ERA's inaugural year. Microsoft's social team needs a HUGE fucking raise haha.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
You can tell this is an excellent burn cuz some of the fanboys are getting upset hahah!

Instead of backwards compatibility they're releasing a $100 stand alone console, that's stupid. Do both or just do bc on ps4.

Sony's leadership has really been making some questionable decisions lately. Anti consumer even.

Something tells me that the ps5 is going to be a train wreck shit show on the level of the Xbox one and Wii U. We'll see.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
You can tell this is an excellent burn cuz some of the fanboys are getting upset hahah!

Instead of backwards compatibility they're releasing a $100 stand alone console, that's stupid. Do both or just do bc on ps4.

Sony's leadership has really been making some questionable decisions lately. Anti consumer even.

Something tells me that the ps5 is going to be a train wreck shit show on the level of the Xbox one and Wii U. We'll see.
Lol, you keep hoping.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Nintendo releases classic consoles and no one bats an eye.

Sony does it and everyone loses their minds.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California

Then what other purpose would there be behind your statement:

Microsoft is not in a position to translate their past library and systems into a simple and high profit system like the classic consoles.

Because you're right, in a sense, that they're not in a position to do so, seeing as how they ALREADY have a competent BC program on their systems.

Unless you mean to say that Xbox couldn't get away with a collectible mini version of their original console, regardless BC. Which is bonkers, considering how much influence that console has had on modern systems.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Never thought I'd see the day when Xbox has the superior BC solution to Sony and Nintendo.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I would have it read it the same way as many people on Twitter if I didn't know how the BC feature on the Xbox works.

Those responses on Twitter are being facetious. The tweet posted on here with the Xbox UK reply, that dude has Xbox Backwards Compatibility games retweeted in his timeline, as well as The PS1 Mini... dude is probably on Reset or gaf.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
BC on Xbox One is so good, and Microsoft should be bragging about it every chance they get. I just really wish Sony had something similar since almost all of my old games are for PlayStation systems.

Oct 25, 2017
Then what other purpose would there be behind your statement:

Because you're right, in a sense, that they're not in a position to do so, seeing as how they ALREADY have a competent BC program on their systems.

Unless you mean to say that Xbox couldn't get away with a collectible mini version of their original console, regardless BC. Which is bonkers, considering how much influence that console has had on modern systems.

The Nintendo classic microconsoles are running on SoC which cost not even a few dollars. It isn't possible doing the same for a Xbox microconsole, and there is the plain fact that the Xbox only sold 25m consoles so we are talking about a way smaller nostalgia market.

Status
Not open for further replies.