• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 10, 2018
Comparing what you can get at the time of release of the new console is a pretty standard practice. Sorry, but just comparing MSRP in this situation seems strange.

So how would you do it?
Got any examples?

Also I'm not comparing rrp, I stated how much lower the 1s is compared to the RRP and saying it will be a similar situation for the X1sd.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Agreed. When I bought my XB1S (Feb 2018), it came with FH3+Hot Wheels+2 weeks Gold+1 month Game Pass, for $190 from Amazon. Those other things are nice, but the UHD drive has ongoing value. At the time, standalone 4K players were still $200+. I would've actually been perfectly happy at that price with a 4k blu-ray player that also played all my 360 and OG Xbox games, without the 8th gen stuff at all.
Unless Microsoft adds some sort of Vudu-like Disc2Digital feature for old games and movies (and even then you'd need a blu-ray drive in your Win10 PC for BDs that you don't already have a digital copy of), I can't see that this new device has any value at all.

You know physical media is dying or dead everywhere right?

And LOL at people in this thread not understanding some basics.

-EU RRP's typically directly translate to US dollars. So no, this is likely not $259 in the US, it's 229.

-I dont keep up with MSRP's, but apparently the actual MSRP for the Xbox S is 299. The MSRP for this will be 229. Can we do some basic math when both are on sale (which is very very often) which will be on sale for less?

Since Xbox S hits as low as 199 in holidays, I'd expect this to hit 149, possibly.

I'd consider this just for the novelty. The first mainstream diskless Xbox/PS. Certainly not to be the last. And the small size.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So how would you do it?
Got any examples?
This late in the cycle, you look at what is releasing and the price of a comparable unit during the holiday rush and that price. We are on an enthusiasts forum and know how this shit goes.

Do you think the price is competitive? Is it what you were expecting? Because it is $50 more than I thought it would be.

Feb 10, 2018

-EU RRP's typically directly translate to US dollars. So no, this is likely not $259 in the US, it's 229.

-I dont keep up with MSRP's, but apparently the actual MSRP for the Xbox S is 299. The MSRP for this will be 229. Can we do some basic math when both are on sale (which is very very often) which will be on sale for less?

Since Xbox S hits as low as 199 in holidays, I'd expect this to hit 149, possibly.

I'd consider this just for the novelty. The first mainstream diskless Xbox/PS. Certainly not to be the last. And the small size.

Precisly, its almost like common sense is just absent from some. Or they are just say incorrect things to stir trouble.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
If this is confirmed the whole thing is a missed opportunity. Should have been smaller. Should have been cheaper. Sould have had a more drastic redesign to hint at next gen design language. Basically feels like that Wii Mini thing.

Feb 10, 2018
This late in the cycle, you look at what is releasing and the price of a comparable unit during the holiday rush and that price. We are on an enthusiasts forum and know how this shit goes.

Do you think the price is competitive? Is it what you were expecting? Because it is $50 more than I thought it would be.

Well it's only missing a UHD blue Ray drive, and it comes with 3 games, so it's not going to be a huge reduction.

But considering you can get an X1S with minecraft for £218. £199 FOR AN X1sd, minecraft, sot + forza h 3 is decent, and like you said your rrp is not normally adhered to, even at launch, so it will probably be even less then £199.

The reduction percentage will likely be similar in deals too.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
well I am not sure how retailers get digital codes now, but the platform holders could always make them like buying discs. Digital Codes never seem to go down in price though so they probably only deal with Microsoft and Sony etc...directly and are not allowed to set prices.

Of course, retailers also sell things like Apple TVs, Roku's etc... so they are not adverse to selling digital only items like that, but they won't discount them like the ones tied to physical discs if the digital code market sucks.

That's because there's a nice fat retailer premium on those prices. That's how normal hardware sales actually work.

Video game consoles are an exception to the norm. The profit margin on the hardware is razor thin, but you make your money on the software (and to a much lesser extent, the accessories). Software sales are the bulk of their business. In the case of an all-digital console though, retailers can't sell software for it... so the only way they can make money is by selling it like any old normal piece of hardware.

That's why the PSP Go was so much more expensive than any other model of the PSP. It's also why retailers absolutely hate digital and have fought against it since the very beginning.

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
Looking at side-by-side pictures with the current S, albeit no guarantee of scale, it appears that the SADe is smaller. A 25% reduction in volume would be A-MAZ-ING.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018

The 229 is way to high. At least here in Germany you can buy a xbox one S nearly every time of the year for around 200€ (165€ right now)
zn2Rk9O_d.jpg

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
you know that this is bullshit, right?

last time i´ve checked i could buy all games physical, most are way cheaper than digital games. and i can sell them too!

go digital how you want it but don´t assume physical is dying at all

When was the last time you bought a cd? Or A pc game dvd? Or a blue ray?

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
When was the last time you bought a cd? Or A pc game dvd? Or a blue ray?
I buy CDs frequently. I don't know a single person that buys more console games digitally as opposed to physically (this is in Australia). If this new Xbox ends up getting similar discounts to the current Xbox One S then I'll buy it in a heartbeat as a game pass machine.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

last time i´ve checked i could buy all games physical, most are way cheaper than digital games. and i can sell them too!

Netflix disc is still the best service Netflix offers, it doesnt change that less and less people are using it.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they think that price is an incentive for losing physical then they fucked up. $260 should include a year of live at a minimum. And even that isnt all that enticing. An all digital box that is about to be replaced needs to be sub $200. Did manufacturers learn nothing from their hardware sales falling off a cliff last gen because their prices were too high for late gen consumers.

This plus the gamepass + live offer they put out recently that actually doesnt save money is making me wonder if they're going to shoot themselves in the foot and price themselves out of contention after all the good will they garnered.

SpillRune

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I buy CDs frequently. I don't know a single person that buys more console games digitally as opposed to physically (this is in Australia). If this new Xbox ends up getting similar discounts to the current Xbox One S then I'll buy it in a heartbeat as a game pass machine.
I bought my last CD album in 2009 (A-ha, Foot of the Mountain), all my music is now iTunes + vinyl. I buy 100% of my Switch and Xbox One games digitally (started out physical on Xbox One, but sold everything and repurchased digitally when One S launched), I've cancelled my Game Pass after discovering that it would actually be cheaper to just buy the games I play from that library. And I only buy physical for PS4 because most 1st party disc games are 50% off (or more) after a year or so.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If they think that price is an incentive for losing physical then they fucked up. $260 should include a year of live at a minimum. And even that isnt all that enticing. An all digital box that is about to be replaced needs to be sub $200. Did manufacturers learn nothing from their hardware sales falling off a cliff last gen because their prices were too high for late gen consumers.

This plus the gamepass + live offer they put out recently that actually doesnt save money is making me wonder if they're going to shoot themselves in the foot and price themselves out of contention after all the good will they garnered.

Modern consoles have a higher price floor than the older ones. Spinning CD drives, HDDs from external suppliers, higher ram amounts. No immediate die shrinks to save cost without significant investment

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017

He's baiting, he's clearly talking out his ass and has zero idea what he's actually talking about

Then again really the wrong thread to be avoiding all digital agenda pushing ?

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
too damn expensive, since xbox one s was at BF for 179e, i expected a 150e version.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Incredible that Microsoft can be so boneheaded sometimes.

It's the same size as the S despite having a sizeable chunk of its insides removed AND is barely any cheaper.

Like, why even bother releasing it at this point? It's already dead in the water.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
too damn expensive, since xbox one s was at BF for 179e, i expected a 150e version.
You expected the official price to be lower than BF price?

Incredible that Microsoft can be so boneheaded sometimes.

It's the same size as the S despite having a sizeable chunk of its insides removed AND is barely any cheaper.

Like, why even bother releasing it at this point? It's already dead in the water.
Its 70$ cheaper

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The point of this thing really is less to sell units and more to make a statement about their digital future, and provide another springboard for their efforts to move more of their audience to digital.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I mean you can regularly get a full featured S with 2 new AAA games for roughly the same price, so this ain't that good of a deal for EU markets. Probably more enticing for US folks where I hear Xbox prices aren't as crazy low, since the platform is actually relevant there.

I don't see street retailers cutting down the price to €189/€169 themselves since they would be selling a SKU where they have no profit projections besides cards and accessories, do it'll probably be pushed behind the counters after the first couple of months and relegate stock to mainly e-stores, unless Microsoft doesn't propose something interesting to make it worth to them.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
The price of digital games, the inability to have any resale and the balancing between traditional retail and online is a mess. I regret being all digital on switch. The convenience does not outweigh the commerce.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
I can find a regular S going for about 250 euros over here and with some games included as well

Thee only reason I'd ever consider buying and all digital xbox one without the 4k blue-ray is if it was 150 euros or less
But I guess this is more of a cost cut to increase margins than lower the prices, I'm sure the xbox division could use any penny they can get

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This leak has me kinda hoping for an all-digital X where the space from removing the disc drive perhaps allows for even better cooling. I know in general the X handles cooling quite well and stays quiet during operation, but my Project Scorpio console has started to match and sometimes exceed the noise levels of my launch model PS4 Pro (which I just replaced a few months ago with an updated, quieter model).

Fan noise is seemingly like an oddly common issue for me this generation. OG launch PS4 was loud, my launch PS4 Pro was loud, and my Project Scorpio X is now loud. My OG Xbox 1 and my XB1S were never, ever an issue when it came to operation noise, though... But the noise from my original PS4 Pro and now my X can cut through my soundbar quite easily and it's kind of frustratingly distracting.

Anyway, I am all-digital on the Xbox side of things and I have a dedicated UHD player so I don't need that function out of my X. If improved cooling became a priority improvement of an all-digital X model, I'd probably seriously consider the trade. 2TB internal storage would be nice too but I make due with 1TB right now.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
Hmnn.. Personally I would have called it the Xbox One D and painted it a different color so it wouldn't be confused with the S. It would have been $199 USD (which I still think the All digital edition will be when announced) and no games just a month of gamepass and gold.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If you want an S, probably get one now before this becomes the heavily discounted model/

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
At $199-$249 it would be a no brainer if it included a permanent (at least for the rest of this gen) 10-15% off all digital games that would stack on sale prices and 3-6 months of Game Pass.