• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Publisher of iconic gaming franchises will expand Xbox's diverse portfolio on Xbox Game Pass

This is an exciting day for Xbox. Today we officially complete the acquisition of ZeniMax Media, parent company of Bethesda Softworks. It's an honor to welcome the eight incredibly talented development studios – Bethesda Game Studios, id Software, ZeniMax Online Studios, Arkane, MachineGames, Tango Gameworks, Alpha Dog, and Roundhouse Studios – and their passionate global communities to the Xbox family. Now that everything is official, we can begin working together to deliver more great games to everyone. At every step building toward this moment, I've been inspired and motivated by the creativity, insight, and community-first approach of the talented people at Bethesda. Our goal is to give these teams the best foundation for doing their greatest work and to learn from them as we continue to build Xbox into an inclusive platform for all players.

This is the next step in building an industry-leading first party studios team, a commitment we have to our Xbox community. With the addition of the Bethesda creative teams, gamers should know that Xbox consoles, PC, and Game Pass will be the best place to experience new Bethesda games, including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players.

As we shared previously, it's vitally important that Bethesda continues making games the way it always has. We look forward to empowering Bethesda's creative teams to reach even more players around the world, helping make future Bethesda titles the biggest and most popular games in their history. Xbox and Bethesda have long shared a common vision for the future of gaming. Both as fans and as creators, Bethesda understands the potential of Xbox Game Pass.

We would also like to honor the life and memory of my close friend Robert A. Altman, founder of ZeniMax Media. Robert believed deeply in the power of gaming and we are privileged to be able to continue his work by joining forces with the teams he built and led for many years. I will miss the opportunity to work directly with him on the future of our combined teams but I know that his spirit will live on in the shared work we do and motivate us to make this partnership all he envisioned.

Thank you to all our players for joining us on this incredible journey and to the millions of Bethesda fans around the world. Now that we're one team, we can start working together on the future ahead. We will have more to share about what's next for our teams later this year. In the meantime, to properly celebrate this special moment, we are bringing additional Bethesda games into Xbox Game Pass later this week. Stay tuned for more details!

Source: Xbox News Wire Blog Post by Phil Spencer

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
" including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players. "

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Just as I thought. Game pass games coming right after it's made official.

Jan 4, 2018
Obsidian, Bethesda and inXile under the same roof.

giphy.gif

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
And that's that. If this isn't enough for you, I don't know what to say.

Bethesda games will be on Xbox, PC, and Gamepass.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It could mean anything, they could just be referring to the deals set in place and work already done to put some stuff out on other platforms. It could mean new IP only for Xbox series consoles and PC, this could still be anything folks.

they could have just said: we will honour all existing contracts and then all the Bethesda studios will make games only for xbox. (fullstop)

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
" including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players. "
No company at this point should ever promise full exclusivity. We're at a point where Sony is putting games on PC and Xbox. Not to mention if they did say new titles in the future will be exclusive they might freak out communities like Fallout 76 and ESO.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
The quality and quantity of the 3 years of GPU for a dollar I got two months ago is not letting up any time soon.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Got to hand it to Phil Spencer, he said he wanted to build an industry leading first party portfolio and he wasn't kidding.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Phil just out here lobbing molotovs on the fire. Really didn't clarify much. Glad the deal is finalized at least so we can move on from that part of the debate.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Really good that they start adding these games to Game Pass later this week and that they're not dragging it out too much.
Cause realistically, it shouldn't take more than pressing a button to add them immediately.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Get my Quake cosmetic ship set into Sea of Thieves fast please Rare. Thnx.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
In the meantime, to properly celebrate this special moment, we are bringing additional Bethesda games into Xbox Game Pass later this week. Stay tuned for more details!

Cool, what games would that be? :)

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
they could have just said: we will honour all existing contracts and then all the Bethesda studios will make games only for xbox. (fullstop)
True but that would not be as vague, all I'm saying is that the way it's worded could be interpreted as either side of the discussion. We are in the same place we were yesterday sans "some" games being exclusive. Hopefully they talk about this some more soon or this schrodingers xbox talk will continue

Oct 25, 2017
Yay, increasing consolidation and less options for gamers. Oh well, makes gamepass that much more bursting at the seams with content at least.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
This doesn't really clear things up since there still aren't any specifics.

1. Could mean lots of Bethesda games are still coming to PS5
2. Could mean only things like ESO and F76 expansions are coming to PS5
3. Could mean everything is exclusive to Xbox going forward, but technically speaking Deathloops and Ghostwire Tokyo are "new" Bethesda games that will be on PS5

I predict they will handle things the way they handled Ninja Theory and Obsidian where they simply announce new games with zero mention of PlayStation.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
I think everyone is hung up on the "some" word and not the whole article. It basically lays out that this is all part of their Gamepass strategy. And for that strategy to work they need to show continual value to the service, so exclusives to Gamepass will be the majority going forward to show that value.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
The fact that future titles from these insanely talented teams are gonna be on GP day & date is pretty crazy.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing The Evil Within and Prey in that pic and trailer gives me some hope tbh.
Let them do a new game with Id Tech 7 pls.