• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

XGS vs. PS - Whose output and potential output excites you more?

• XBOX Game Studios

Votes: 897 32.1%
  • PlayStation Studios

Votes: 1,536 55.0%
  • They're about even for me

Votes: 304 10.9%
  • Neither excites me

Votes: 56 2.0%

• Total voters

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it wasn't MS before, but it is now

i might still lean Playstation for exclusives like Atlus/Vanillaware etc, but those aren't sony studios, just exclusives

but i mean for future potential it simply has to be MS

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Voted for Xbox. They've consistently had more of a variety, from single A to AA to AAA to pushing indie type games.

Outside of Ghosts of Tsushima I am tired of open world cinematic type games that Sony are concentrating on almost exclusively these days, it's getting boring and repetitive.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I get what you're saying about Sony missing certain types of games but you're reaching with this.
I'm not. The variety isn't there. Exceptional games that deserve the praise they get but I don't want to play a summer blockbuster with lite RPG mechanics every time I sit down with a western developed Sony title. I'm probably in the minority though, as the games sell like crazy. 🤷‍♂️

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
If Bethesda is able to get the time and budget that Sony studios get to develop Fallout, Doom, and Elder Scrolls then I would probably go with them over Sony. To be fair though, Nintendo still has the most exclusives that interest me personally.

It will definitely be interesting to see how Microsoft takes advantage of Bethesda and their other studios moving forward. Until we see how it goes it makes it hard to decide.

Aug 12, 2019
Bethesda makes this more of a serious conversation, but we're going to have to see how long it takes for them to get their main Bethesda projects up and running for Microsoft. Like, they've also acquired a lot of studios that we haven't had an opportunity to see how they do things yet. Sure, we know Obsidian is working on Avowed, we know that Rare is going to be working on Everwild, we know that Ninja Theory is working on Hellblade 2, and we know that Double Fine has been working on Psychonauts 2 forever... but like we've still not had an opportunity to see how a lot of these titles turn out. And like Bethesda's stuff is going to be years away. So like, there's a ton of potential there and I hope it pans out.

But, Microsoft hasn't like really delivered much in a while and they need to earn back more of my trust with their first party offerings if I'm being honest. Sony has constantly maintained a consistent first party output and their stable of IPs and studios have been incredibly consistent, plus they just seem to have a ton of major titles positioned for year one of the PS5... so I'm saying Sony for now, but waiting to see what Microsoft pulls off with this huge investment and the other acquisitions.

If Fallout or Elder Scrolls improves in quality, then we're talking about a big win for Microsoft cause they haven't been very good for a while, especially with Fallout never really being that good under Bethesda Softwork's direction. I wanna see Microsoft leverage those IPs they now own in meaningful ways for sure.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
MS had almost nothing for me before, but now they do with Doom, Wolfenstein, and Hellblade. I stopped caring about Elder Scrolls and Fallout when they became glorified connect the dot simulators.

But it's still Sony. Their IPs are just too good.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
As a whole, Xbox. They have the potential to make many more games I'd want to actually play.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
What excites me the most? All the sequels to great PS4 games. I am curious to see what Xbox Studios output will look like next gen, but it's difficult to feel excited about something that I haven't played before... I even watch all their showcases but I just don't get excited prior to them for some reason. In the X360 days (I had a PS3) I remember feeling jealous for not having games like Lost Planet, Dead Rising and Bioshock.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Playstation Studios by a large margin, outstanding storytelling and innovative talent.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
PlayStation by far. But I never play Elder Scroll or modern Fallout. Theyres both immensely overated for me.

I'd miss Doom but that's pretty much it and I can just play that on PC.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Xbox Game Studios by a longshot. I like the PS4 exclusives like JRPGs and what not, but only a few of their first party games this generation have truly blown me away and gave me a true sense of enjoyment. Meanwhile most of the XGS games this gen I have really enjoyed (Sunset Overdrive easily one of my favorite games this gen) and the games they have on the horizon really have me excited (not even counting the Zenimax games).

Two years ago I likely would have gone with Sony though

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
From the sheer amount of games being released Microsoft will be unbeatable (unless the studios are severely mismanaged), but they have yet to prove that their titles are guaranteed to be good so... PS Studios still still excites me more.

Oct 31, 2017
The only Bathesda games I really care for are DOOM and Skyrim. From the old MS stables MIcrosoft Flight Sim is my game. Sony still has a majority of the exclusives I like to play, their first party is unmatched in my opinion.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
It used to be Sony (almost entirely because of Naughty Dog and because I don't have any interest in post-Bungee Halo) but with the acquisition of Bethesda it's now Microsoft for me.

Bethesda was my favorite of the bigger third party publishers, mainline Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Dishonored are all series I buy at launch, which I rarely do for other games.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Not a huge fan of Sony's incredibly empty open world games, but they have enough other games that I'd rank both of them the same now, but only because of all the greatness MS just got from Bethesda.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
It's close, but I still lean Sony. They have the best of the best, although Microsoft now will likely produce more AA and AAA games. With that being said, the Bethesda part is very tricky to quantify. I mean their open world games are unique and I will continue to be excited for what they could be and they are still absolutely huge franchises - but to me TES has been disappointing ever since Morrowind and I think Skyrim is one of the few super well received games that I genuinely think is overrated, and Fallout 3 and especially 4 are kind of the same.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I was always leaning more towards ms games but this past year or so has definitely cemented them in for me .

Just hope the content starts coming soon .

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Even though most of Sony's output does not personally interest me, I can't dispute that on aggregate they produce more high quality games than Microsoft has done. So historically and trend wise, Sony is obviously a leg up.

Yet, Microsoft has more studios and arguably more untapped potential. IF they can figure out Halo, IF the Coalition ends up being as great as they're supposed to be, IF more funding for Obsidion results in higher quality/more of the same, IF they can fix the issues that Bethesda games have, they're going to end up being better.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I'm more excited about XGS's potential output, but their are definitely questions about quality and care that I'd still like to see them answer through quality titles and incorporating more depth. For now, the answer needs to continue to be Sony, but Xbox is seemingly on the right path and has a very real chance to win me over this generation.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It really depends on Xbox having more Obsidian RPGs than PlayStation having exclusives from From Software. Which is likely.

Deleted member 25671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sony still. All the potential games that I would interested in (so far it's a couple) from MS seem like they're pretty far off. It's safe to say that I'm glad I'm going with PS first and then if things start coming out that look good to me from MS I can always get a Series S down the road.
So short term (next couple years) It's Sony, past that MS could have some amazing ones.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
It's kind of crazy because I've always been a HUGE fan of Xbox studios and the games they produce. They cater pretty well to me with Halo, Gears, Fable, and Forza. But a genre I absolutely love outside of what Xbox had is the first person WRPG. Now, it's like... well, fuck. Do I even need anything but Gamepass ever again? It feels like they are catering directly to me with this move. They had me at Halo, but now it's just an embarrassment of riches. Not to mention DOOM was probably my GOTY 2016.

I like some Sony stuff, too.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only first party thing I've really put into from either of them in the past few years is Forza Horizon, so Microsoft by default I guess.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Bethesda is probably the best possible publisher for Xbox to have acquired, if we are talking alignment with my tastes.

The XGS lineup for the next several years could look like the following:

2021: Halo Infinite, Forza Motorsport, Everwild
2022: Starfield, Forza Horizon, Age of Empires 4,
2023: Avowed, Hellblade 2, Doom 3, Gears 6, Fable
2024: Perfect Dark, The Elder Scrolls VI, Fallout New Vegas 2,

and those are just a collection of the titles that we have good reason to suspect for release!

Not to sell the Playstation Studios lineup short, though - I am incredibly excited to see what Naughty Dog + Insomniac will do next, and I really need to get around to playing GOW and Horizon. Outside of those franchises, I am a bit more indifferent to the rest of the studio landscape - so this is an easy vote for XGS.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
I was not expecting to see such a big lead to Sony in this poll. For me, they're about even or maybe slightly tipped towards Microsoft.