• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope they drop co-op campaign and Escape for the next Gears. Co-op is really limiting design wise for campaign (plus no one plays co-op campaign anyways) and Escape is fun but unnecessary. Just focus on Horde + Versus + Campaign. I love Gears 5 but it's just about exhausted the formula, make Gears 6 like TLOU or reboot it completely.

Aug 26, 2018
It's a blast with friends despite the bugs but honestly I expected so much more. I wanted Gears 5 to be Xbox One's swan song. Instead I got a solid Gears experience. Much better than the bland 4 but same or a bit worse than the old trilogy imo.

The Coalition are still way too afraid to shake things up. I feel like either they are time constrained due to the immense work they put in or they don't want to change the game completely in one title.

Well put, exactly my experience.

Rod Ferguson, the Head is a Gears guy in and out right from the OG Gears & the Coalition is still very focused on getting those core mechanics, weapons like Gnasher just right (rightly so) rather than revamping the entire franchise. Maybe Gears 4 did better than we all thought which might explain why they still kept it playing and feeling like Gears as much as 5 did.

I've talked about this to death in this thread itself but a few changes would have made it a truly new experience:

1. Open Levels: Integrate them into the story rather than a gateway between the different acts with big side quests, lore explorations etc. The Open Levels felt dead, barren and without soul and I didn't like that much.

2. RPG mechanics: It would have added a new way to play along with the Gears cover combat especially with Jack. Imagine that final level in Gears 4 playing as mechs but being able to upgrade them just like we did with Jack and the open world levels helping us acquire these upgrades.

3. Transportation: The Skiff would have been such a great way to create action set-pieces but instead became just a way to traverse as cool as it was. They should have had more vehicles like Skiff depending on the environments & you should have had the ability to upgrade them to travel longer distances.

4. Weather Systems: The world especially the weather systems should have been integrated in Combat which would have made it more fun & would have added a new way to play like the desert/snow storms.

5. Villain: Gears has still not found a formidable enemy like General RAAM, all the bosses in Gears 5 were shooting at a weak spot, we dont really feel that adrenaline rush we felt after beating General RAAM.

I felt Gears 5 would have been a true comeback with some of these changes atleast. Gears 5 is still in my Top 3 Campaign experiences on an Xbox One Console along with Ori and Sunset Overdrive this gen but they missed a chance.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they drop co-op campaign and Escape for the next Gears. Co-op is really limiting design wise for campaign (plus no one plays co-op campaign anyways) and Escape is fun but unnecessary. Just focus on Horde + Versus + Campaign. I love Gears 5 but it's just about exhausted the formula, make Gears 6 like TLOU or reboot it completely.

The co-op is a defining part of the series DNA. Escape they could throw away, it feels like it's mostly there to have more service modes for the sake of player retention, but co-op is one of the main features of the series. It wouldn't be Gears without it. As for turning it into TLoU, it would be a poor move forgetting everything the series is in order to chase something else. If anything Gears 5 act 1 and 4 has demonstrated that what works best is when they don't haphazardly try implement what ever is popular and concentrate on what the series does well.

Deleted member 19924

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The co-op is a defining part of the series DNA. Escape they could throw away, it feels like it's mostly there to have more service modes for the sake of player retention, but co-op is one of the main features of the series. It wouldn't be Gears without it. As for turning it into TLoU, it would be a poor move forgetting everything the series is in order to chase something else. If anything Gears 5 act 1 and 4 has demonstrated that what works best is when they don't haphazardly try implement what ever is popular and concentrate on what the series does well.
I liked the open world bits of Gears 5 as well as the linear ones but what I'm talking about is on a fundamental level. How will people feel when Gears 6 releases and it has the same exact mechanics as the past six games? Gears 5 is a step in the right direction and proves TC are willing to change some stuff up but ultimately, it's still the same Gears. TC didn't perfect the formula with Gears 4, that was an average game and not up to par with the original trilogy. But with Gears 5, they did and made the best Gears in the series. With Gears 6, I hope they change everything but that's just me.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm sure The Initiative, Playground and Obsidian are working on experiences more tailored to the needs and preferences of the regular era crowd.

We'll have all kinds of content on Game Pass within a couple of years.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the suggestions for what the coalition should do with Gears 6 are hilarious to read. It's like people actually want a different IP rather than a Gears game.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Gears needs to stay Gears. While it has cinematic narrative elements, co-op and multiplayer are at the heart of the franchise.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the suggestions for what the coalition should do with Gears 6 are hilarious to read. It's like people actually want a different IP rather than a Gears game.

If people want something so different than go and play something different. As a huge Gears fan, I welcome changes to the formula that retain the game being what it is but dont ruin my favourite franchise by making it something its not just because you dont like what it is.

If you want to play The Last of Us I have great news for you, a new one is out next year.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
I liked the open world bits of Gears 5 as well as the linear ones but what I'm talking about is on a fundamental level. How will people feel when Gears 6 releases and it has the same exact mechanics as the past six games? Gears 5 is a step in the right direction and proves TC are willing to change some stuff up but ultimately, it's still the same Gears. TC didn't perfect the formula with Gears 4, that was an average game and not up to par with the original trilogy. But with Gears 5, they did and made the best Gears in the series. With Gears 6, I hope they change everything but that's just me.
I'm not worried about Gears 6 that much, aside from the fate of certain characters. It's Gears 7, 8, 9, and 10 that worry me.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Make Gears 6 like TLoU

Wait, did anyone really say that? What in the world?

In my opinion, while far from perfect, and incredibly buggy, Gears 5 is still the most satisfying game in the series or at the very least on par with the best of the 360 games. It's a step in the right direction, and Coalition should simply continue doing what they're already doing. But for the love of everything that is holy, hire more people for the QA team!

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

Literally my fave two things from Gears 5.

Escape especially has been a godsend for me not having 2+ hours to play Horde matches most of the time. I've played more Escape than anything else and I love it.

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017

The worst take I've seen in a while.

I played the entire thing in coop and probably 90% of my play time has been spent in escape so far.

If The Coalition are reading this, please ignore this persons post.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Wait, did anyone really say that? What in the world?

In my opinion, while far from perfect, and incredibly buggy, Gears 5 is still the most satisfying game in the series or at the very least on par with the best of the 360 games. It's a step in the right direction, and Coalition should simply continue doing what they're already doing. But for the love of everything that is holy, hire more people for the QA team!

The bugs are weird, considering how incredibly solid 4 was.

(I've only experienced one instance of one bug, so I guess I've been lucky!)

icexxascended

Jan 8, 2018
Likeliness of getting a Rare game at launch? 360 had kameo and perfect dark zero, Kinect sports rivals was supposed to be a launch title for Xbox one (turned launch window)

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Likeliness of getting a Rare game at launch? 360 had kameo and perfect dark zero, Kinect sports rivals was supposed to be a launch title for Xbox one (turned launch window)

I'm not sure what the other team is up to, but I'm definitely thinking of a more smaller-scaled (co-op) experience. Unpopular opinion, but i'd love to see Rare's take on something like Octodad or Human's Fall Flat. I'd be fully on board with Rare re-inventing Fuzion Frenzy while I'm thinking on party-like games.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017

Depends on the scope of the project, if its a big budget AAA title, I wouldnt expect it, if its smaller, maybe it'll make launch period

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
They will (and should) never get rid of co-op campaign, that's crazy. I fricking hate this "exhausted the formula" style nonsense posts as well. It is Gears, it iterates on Gears. You don't reboot it, you let other companies make new IP's and let us enjoy our Gears/Halo/Forza whenever we damn well please.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
I wonder if there is gaming forum where most of the community wants games like tLoU and Hellblade to become shared world battle royale titles? lol

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
One thing I think Microsoft needs to do is have a chat with Sony about paying to lock features out of third party games like scummy activision and Sony have been doing

I know Phil is dead set against this but it just goes to Xbox players being treated like second class citizens. And I dont think at this point in the generation it even makes sense for Microsoft to bother

But next year when scarlet launches its a clean slate. If Sony is still interested in this practice Microsoft needs to use their money advantage and start making big moves on this front. It sucks, but the image of accepting less as an Xbox player needs to end

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I think Microsoft needs to do is have a chat with Sony about paying to lock features out of third party games like scummy activision and Sony have been doing

I know Phil is dead set against this but it just goes to Xbox players being treated like second class citizens. And I dont think at this point in the generation it even makes sense for Microsoft to bother

But next year when scarlet launches its a clean slate. If Sony is still interested in this practice Microsoft needs to use their money advantage and start making big moves on this front. It sucks, but the image of accepting less as an Xbox player needs to end

I think they'll just double down on Game Pass if they want to retaliate. Yeah, on PS5 you can get the DLC for this game one week earlier, nice. On our system the game launches day 1 on Game Pass so it's cheap as hell, and it also had a discount on DLCs or something.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Don't know about a Rare game as a launch title for Scarlett but I'm fairly confident that we will see it on next year's E3 anyway.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
This song had like 3-4 million views before Forza Horizon 4 came out, and this is the most random example of Forza Horizon popularity.

Xbox is always mocked about the Halo-Gears-Forza thing, but is not their fault that they always creating perfection in all the genres they propose to do so.
I would love to see XGS's take on the Open World WRPG, maybe we'll see it soon
giphy.gif

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Nah, escape is the best thing about Gears 5. Hopefully they keep it and expand on it.

Jan 4, 2018
I dont think this is true, at all...
Can confirm it's not true. Played the entire series in local co-op with my wife this last year.
That said, I have to agree that, from a narrative point of view, co-op limits what you can do, as there's always at least 2 characters present.
Sections where you're alone could reinforce the kinda-horror aspects of some parts of the game.

Oct 27, 2017
This song had like 3-4 million views before Forza Horizon 4 came out, and this is the most random example of Forza Horizon popularity.

Xbox is always mocked about the Halo-Gears-Forza thing, but is not their fault that they always creating perfection in all the genres they propose to do so.
giphy.gif

Eh it's probably because of Eugene from the Try guys did a while coming out video to this song

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

I think you're only being half serious, but making good games in a series is a horrible reason to not also make new IP. Look to Naughty Dog as an example going from Uncharted to The Last of Us.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
I think they'll just double down on Game Pass if they want to retaliate. Yeah, on PS5 you can get the DLC for this game one week earlier, nice. On our system the game launches day 1 on Game Pass so it's cheap as hell, and it also had a discount on DLCs or something.
Usually only reeeealy big games are getting this type of deals. If MS wants to add these games in GP at launch vs 6 months after, the publishers will basically ask for more money then they are expecting to make in the same period. If 19 million $ was the price for DMC V 6 months post launch, can you imagine how much next CoD, AC or Watch dogs would cost?

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Halo Infinite Concept Art from the 2018 trailer (hadn't seen these pieces before)

HI_E32018_Goals_v7.063.jpeg

HI_E32018_Goals_v7.066.jpeg

HI_E32018_Goals_v7.057.jpeg

From the original document, it sounds like it was more of a "concept trailer" rather than a showing of the in-game world.
More here

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
If people want something so different than go and play something different. As a huge Gears fan, I welcome changes to the formula that retain the game being what it is but dont ruin my favourite franchise by making it something its not just because you dont like what it is.

If you want to play The Last of Us I have great news for you, a new one is out next year.

My thoughts as well. The Coalition have laid down foundations for Gears 6 which should be all about fleshing out more of the open world aspects and also exploring more of how Jack can augment the gameplay more.

Oct 25, 2017

i hope the coalition never listens to you

cheers

gameplay wise, i think gears is waaaaaaaay more fun than TLOU. I don't Gears to turn into that, TLOU is it's own thing.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Man some of the shit I'm reading in here. Next I'll see that the skiff was cool but Kait really needs webshooters in Gears 6 to take traversal to the next level. Smh

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wonder what they can do to improve the controller design for Scarlett? The only thing I would want is that superb wrap around design on the Elite 2.0, looks amazing.

ABCXYZ face buttons like the old Sidewinders and Sega Saturn pads, or the Duke. Make them White and Black. Let everything map that way on old back compat games, even with redundant bumpers, and give us back the 6 button layout for new titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.